HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:47 PM
So very tired...

Best skyline shooting locations and other 'must see' spots for epic road trip

Hey guys.

So as a culmination of several years of planning and preparation I will be spending the better part of 2022 slow-driving across Canada from Vancouver Island to Cape Breton Island and back. While I will be spending lots of time in nature and in small towns, I will also be visiting pretty much all the big cities as well. For the most part I will be spending 3 days/nights in each of the big cities, and 2 days/nights in most but not all of the 'tier 2' cities.

So I know BC and Alberta pretty good, but I was hoping to get some locals-only knowledge on some of the best and/or most unique places to get some nice skyline shots of each city, or just any and all cool or unique must see places for each city, town, and even rural areas.

Obviously I am interested in photography and urbanism, but also I have a special interest in historic structures (buildings, bridges etc), urban decay, and also hiking and wildlife viewing.

I have posted my itinerary on my blog, so you can see where I will be going, and when I will be there. Again, I would appreciate very much suggestions for all the places I *NEED* to see along the way.

Thank you very much.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:15 PM
Registered Drug User

Epic trip!

Not a skyline, but you can do the "double sunset" in Goderich. First you take a photo down on the shoreline, then you drive up to the lighthouse to take another one.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.74200...!7i8704!8i4352

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:36 PM

Do you have your bookings in? You're picking a very busy time to go to some of those places (i.e. Bruce in early July).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I'll chime in with a few as I think of them (especially for Ottawa), but I've always really liked the skyline view of Quebec City from the westernmost tip of Île d'Orléans.

It's neat to be in such a rural setting, almost out of another era, and have the city just there across the water from you in the distance.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:52 PM
arf

Also not a skyline, but arrive early at the Cypress Dark Sky Preserve and just watch the stars for the night if cloud conditions are favourable. You can actually stargaze a lot of places in Saskatchewan as long as you are outside the towns, but Cypress is very unpopulated and dark once you get out of the campground areas. I've looked at the night sky just outside of Outlook and it was great. The viewpoint in Cypress Hills looking to the West is very nice too to see the prairie spread out in front of you, although Waterton has the completely epic prairie to mountain thing going on.

You pretty much hit what I would suggest within the South of Saskatchewan where you are driving. Kudos on the effort. Sucks you will hit Prince Albert National Park after the trees turn and after everything pretty much closes. It is still a pretty place. I've gone the second week of September when everything has shut down. Hopefully no snow yet because that can be an issue sometimes.

I don't think you need that much time in Regina. Try the big hill in Wascana Park (Goose Island Overlook, beside Douglas Park) for a sunset picture or go for Pine Island as an alternate. Alternately you could try the university and see if a student could take you up in the residences for a less seen picture of the city. Actually, wandering the university paths that are up one level around the classroom and lab buildings is really nice. Sadly, the SaskPower Building observation deck isn't open to the public anymore. And don't forget sunrise and sunset, they can both be pretty amazing here.

You'll want more than a week for the rest of Newfoundland when you go.

I wish you many beautiful sunsets and sunrises on your journey.

Sunset by (HomeInMyShoes), on Flickr

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

A few for Ottawa:

On the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway just east of Parkdale, approaching downtown from the west.

From the Champlain Bridge between Ottawa and Gatineau (there are places you can stop as there is an island in the middle)

You can do both of these in one drive.

All of the bridges offer good views of downtown Ottawa.

Others:

Between the two buildings (and towards the river) behind the Canadian Museum of History (Rue Laurier, Gatineau)

A couple of Gatineau Park trails offer views of downtown Ottawa, with some good shots featuring a contrast between wilderness and a city.

The two best ones are the King Mountain Trail and the Skyline Trail (also known as the Sentier Horizon).

And from this spot on a kind of ridge (not too far from my place in fact) you can get good panoramic shots of the entire urban core of both cities: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.50506...7i16384!8i8192

This is about 10-15 minutes from Parliament Hill.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:42 PM
A Better Place

When you take the Chi-Cheemaun from South Baymouth to Tobermory I highly recommend you book a reservation as you will be there over the Canada Day long weekend, which is an extremely busy time for the Bruce.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:54 PM

Speaking to the Manitoba portion of your trip, I think you've done a great job with the itinerary. You'll be visiting some places that I've never been to myself!

A couple of places that are not on your list that I would recommend are Gimli and Morden. Neither are 100% a must but both towns are worth checking out and there are some interesting things near both. I suppose they are day trippable from your destinations, but if you cut Portage la Prairie down to one day and rejig your schedule, I'd say that would leave you with enough time to hit both on different days. I guess Gimli is en route to Hecla/Grindstone. Minnedosa and Neepawa are in between Riding Mountain/Portage/Brandon and are also worth a brief visit while passing by... they have interesting prairie urbanity on display and are pretty towns with rolling hills. Minnedosa being a bit more traditional, and Neepawa being a bit more modern in some ways.

In terms of skyline views it's a bit tough in Winnipeg because it's so flat, but Westview Park (aka Garbage Hill) offers one of the few higher vantage points for viewing the skyline. It's well known around town but not so much to visitors. As with any city, you can get some pretty interesting views from the top level of parkades... the one at The Forks is convenient and has a nice view.

Happy planning!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:04 PM

As long as it's not winter, McNab's Island (especially Ives Cove) is pretty great for Halifax skyline shots (and has a lot of cool stuff to explore on the island itself). George's Island would probably be good too.

If you can't get to either of the islands then the transit ferries offer good views, as do various parts of Dartmouth. You can also get some interesting angles from York Redoubt, south of the Peninsula. If the season/weather permits, try to take some kind of boat along the North West Arm.

The Canso Causeway and Seal Island Bridge (leading into Sydney) are both adjacent to some really majestic cliffs, I've wanted to photograph these areas while driving through but I've always been in too much of a hurry. Pictou is an underrated town on the way to Cape Breton and Glace Bay offers some really absurd urban decay if you're into that. Cape Smokey recently installed a gondola that would offer some incredible views of the ocean and Highlands.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal views from the Belvédère Kondiaronk and Montreal views from the old port (Clock tower). St. Joseph's Oratory is worth a side trip from downtown, as are the Botanical gardens. Naturally, Vieux Montreal + Old Financial District of St. James (St. Jacques) street, Mile-End, Jean-Talon market, the Main (St. Laurent) for smoked meat, ...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:29 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Epic trip!

Not a skyline, but you can do the "double sunset" in Goderich. First you take a photo down on the shoreline, then you drive up to the lighthouse to take another one.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.74200...!7i8704!8i4352
I regret I am not able to get Newfoundland in there, but there are certain places I need to be at certain times, and I just could not make it work.

Thanks for the Goderich tips, I will keep it in mind.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:32 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Do you have your bookings in? You're picking a very busy time to go to some of those places (i.e. Bruce in early July).
I realize some places might be tough but I am doing the best I can. Many of the national and provincial parks are not even open for summer reservations yet, and they all have different dates where the reservation system opens for booking. I have noted these dates for each place on my itinerary, and have set up alerts on my phone so I do not forget.

If, even after all this, I miss out on a place, well, what can you do. I'll find somewhere else to stay in the immediate area, and if worst comes to worse, I am not above sleeping in my vehicle.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:36 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'll chime in with a few as I think of them (especially for Ottawa), but I've always really liked the skyline view of Quebec City from the westernmost tip of Île d'Orléans.

It's neat to be in such a rural setting, almost out of another era, and have the city just there across the water from you in the distance.
Exactly the sort of tip I am looking for. Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:41 PM
Fake News

For Calgary anywhere in Crescent Heights on the ridge overlooking DT is cool.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0595...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0613...7i13312!8i6656

You might have easier access driving around ACAD though. The skyline view is further but more comprehensive.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0614...7i16384!8i8192

Also would recommend checking out East Village with the new library and Music Centre plus Riverwalk and St. George's island.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0471...!7i3840!8i1920

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0450...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by O-tacular; Jan 5, 2022 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:43 PM

Darren Your Alive

Can't say to much about skylines east of Manitoba even though I lived in TO for a few years. Only really like the shots from Centre Island.

Montreal I had a few from Isle Notre Dame.

For epic trips this is the one. I love the drive around Superior, Especially at sun rise.

I had done my Stompin Tom Trip once. Put in a few of his CDs and learned about the country as I drove through.

You'll love the drive.

May get a chance to do the Dempster this summer.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:48 PM

Sam Lawrence park in Hamilton has the best views of downtown. Alternate great spots are on Sydenham Road in Dundas at the top of the escarpment and Ridge Road in Hamilton / the Devil’s Punchbowl upper level lookout. Those last two offer great views of the Toronto skyline as well 50-60km away on clear days.

A great short hike is Mount Nemo in Burlington with great views of the GTA, probably a 30-45 minute stroll.

In terms of where to go in Hamilton, check out Locke Street and James North as well as bayfront park. There is a really neat walkway under the 403 and York Boulevard accessed from the princess point canoe launch or from bayfront park, though it’s a distance to walk if you don’t have a bike (or use bike share!).

Dundas is also a cute little town with a relatively lively little downtown and is surrounded by great hiking on the escarpment.

The lower area of the Devil’s punchbowl is really cool and something only locals seem to really know about, the trailhead is here:

Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/wnDH7peoVniQL8KH8

Parking is a street over on Lake Street as parking is prohibited immediately around the trailhead.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:57 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Also not a skyline, but arrive early at the Cypress Dark Sky Preserve and just watch the stars for the night if cloud conditions are favourable. You can actually stargaze a lot of places in Saskatchewan as long as you are outside the towns, but Cypress is very unpopulated and dark once you get out of the campground areas. I've looked at the night sky just outside of Outlook and it was great. The viewpoint in Cypress Hills looking to the West is very nice too to see the prairie spread out in front of you, although Waterton has the completely epic prairie to mountain thing going on.

You pretty much hit what I would suggest within the South of Saskatchewan where you are driving. Kudos on the effort. Sucks you will hit Prince Albert National Park after the trees turn and after everything pretty much closes. It is still a pretty place. I've gone the second week of September when everything has shut down. Hopefully no snow yet because that can be an issue sometimes.

I don't think you need that much time in Regina. Try the big hill in Wascana Park (Goose Island Overlook, beside Douglas Park) for a sunset picture or go for Pine Island as an alternate. Alternately you could try the university and see if a student could take you up in the residences for a less seen picture of the city. Actually, wandering the university paths that are up one level around the classroom and lab buildings is really nice. Sadly, the SaskPower Building observation deck isn't open to the public anymore. And don't forget sunrise and sunset, they can both be pretty amazing here.

You'll want more than a week for the rest of Newfoundland when you go.

I wish you many beautiful sunsets and sunrises on your journey.

Sunset by (HomeInMyShoes), on Flickr
You have have noticed I have prefaced some days in my itinerary with asterisks and some with exclamation marks. The * denote the seven days surrounding a new moon, and the ! denote seven days surrounding a full moon, so I am already thinking ahead to stargazing and astrophotography.

Interesting you think 3 days in Regina is too much. I think it will be ok. Honestly, most of this trip is in rural/natural settings and living in a tent to keep costs down. The 3 days in each big city are a sort of break from the trip, and a time to chill in a hotel and catch up on photo-editing, blog post writing, and that sort of thing. Even sitting around doing nothing may well be a welcome break.

Anyway, I didn't mention it because it is not really relevant to this forum, but I've gotten myself right into birds and birding, and I am fairly certain I can spend a full day just chasing birds. Another full day wandering around downtown and the university, and a half day shooting the old-school brick warehouses north of dt.

As for NFLD, I'll worry about that trip after I've finished this one

Thanks for the advice.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:58 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A few for Ottawa:

Great stuff, thank you!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 11:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
You have have noticed I have prefaced some days in my itinerary with asterisks and some with exclamation marks. The * denote the seven days surrounding a new moon, and the ! denote seven days surrounding a full moon, so I am already thinking ahead to stargazing and astrophotography.

Interesting you think 3 days in Regina is too much. I think it will be ok. Honestly, most of this trip is in rural/natural settings and living in a tent to keep costs down. The 3 days in each big city are a sort of break from the trip, and a time to chill in a hotel and catch up on photo-editing, blog post writing, and that sort of thing. Even sitting around doing nothing may well be a welcome break.

Anyway, I didn't mention it because it is not really relevant to this forum, but I've gotten myself right into birds and birding, and I am fairly certain I can spend a full day just chasing birds. Another full day wandering around downtown and the university, and a half day shooting the old-school brick warehouses north of dt.

As for NFLD, I'll worry about that trip after I've finished this one

Thanks for the advice.
If you enjoy birding make sure to check out the bird sanctuary in Calgary beside Inglewood. This year a South American bird was spotted here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...outh%20America.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 11:12 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Speaking to the Manitoba portion of your trip, I think you've done a great job with the itinerary. You'll be visiting some places that I've never been to myself!

A couple of places that are not on your list that I would recommend are Gimli and Morden. Neither are 100% a must but both towns are worth checking out and there are some interesting things near both. I suppose they are day trippable from your destinations, but if you cut Portage la Prairie down to one day and rejig your schedule, I'd say that would leave you with enough time to hit both on different days. I guess Gimli is en route to Hecla/Grindstone. Minnedosa and Neepawa are in between Riding Mountain/Portage/Brandon and are also worth a brief visit while passing by... they have interesting prairie urbanity on display and are pretty towns with rolling hills. Minnedosa being a bit more traditional, and Neepawa being a bit more modern in some ways.

In terms of skyline views it's a bit tough in Winnipeg because it's so flat, but Westview Park (aka Garbage Hill) offers one of the few higher vantage points for viewing the skyline. It's well known around town but not so much to visitors. As with any city, you can get some pretty interesting views from the top level of parkades... the one at The Forks is convenient and has a nice view.

Happy planning!
So...I should note that the spots on my itinerary are just overnight locations, and I will not be driving the shortest, fastest route between them. I intend to avoid main highways as much as possible and just putt-putt down all the good backroads. I indeed intend to visit Gimli on the way back from Hecla, and I can check out Morden when I visit Winkler.

I also fully intend to visit Minnedosa and Neepawa on my way from RM to Brandon. As well as my itinerary, I have also made a google map for each province and plotted out all the photo ops, historic buildings, and natural area that are on my radar so far. I may not visit every single one, but it gives me a good idea of what's in the area any particular day.

For instance, here's a detail of just the SW corner of my Manitoba map...

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 3.08.09 PM by Darren Kirby, on Flickr

Also, thanks for the Winnipeg advice. I actually have heard of garbage hill...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada