HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:27 PM

Too bad smart park is such a sparse, junky development. The developments along Pembina are quite impressive for the area.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:38 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ If the U of M built something similar across the street it would be the best urban canyon in suburban Winnipeg
I know most of the buildings are standard issue East German Housing, but I still think NK still has the best skyline outside downtown.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:53 PM

^ Yeah, it's not bad. The only issue is that the buildings are really spread out and kind of far from the streets.

As far as Smartpark goes, I thought it was ill thought out from day one. It was like the last gasp of old school postwar industrial parks with so much space wasted everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:21 PM

^^Just imagine. 3 bedroom $185.00 per month.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:

As far as Smartpark goes, I thought it was ill thought out from day one. It was like the last gasp of old school postwar industrial parks with so much space wasted everywhere.
Totally. I always hoped that as the U of M ran out of space, they would rethink the smart park area and make it more dense and campus-like, but after the acquisition of the golf course land they have more than enough space to sprawl.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
^ Yeah, it's not bad. The only issue is that the buildings are really spread out and kind of far from the streets.

Say what you want about the Smartpark, but out of all Canadian cities, Winnipeg has the highest share of its total office space located downtown. Most other Canadian cities have a significant stock of suburban office space, and Winnipeg is an outliar in this regard.

I know ya'll love to hate on the Terracon-type office parks in Winnipeg, but the reality is that there is demand for suburban office space in many cities and Winnipeg is no exception. I personally think its a good idea to set aside vacant land that can eventually be serviced near the University for future businesses who would like to be located in that sort of environment. Wanting 100% of offices to be downtown is wishful thinking in my view.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^^Just imagine. 3 bedroom $185.00 per month.
$185 in 1972 dollars is $1157 in 2020 dollars for a 3-bedroom.

renovated 2-bedrooms in that building are going for $1500+.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Say what you want about the Smartpark, but out of all Canadian cities, Winnipeg has the highest share of its total office space located downtown. Most other Canadian cities have a significant stock of suburban office space, and Winnipeg is an outliar in this regard.

I know ya'll love to hate on the Terracon-type office parks in Winnipeg, but the reality is that there is demand for suburban office space in many cities and Winnipeg is no exception. I personally think its a good idea to set aside vacant land that can eventually be serviced near the University for future businesses who would like to be located in that sort of environment. Wanting 100% of offices to be downtown is wishful thinking in my view.
But this isn't the city owning this land because, oh well, shitty office parks are still a tax base. This is the university that owns it, and they're trying to suggest that this is all some brilliant plan to connect research and industry. I think they should be held to a higher standard, and I think it's fair to criticize the university for creating an "innovation cluster" that is indistinguishable from practically any other suburban office park.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:18 AM

Completely agree that the smart park is literally dumb, but the one saving grace is that the entire south side of Chancellor Matheson is all grass and surface lots that could easily be developed into residential/mixed-use at any point. And the corner at Pembina has lots of space if the university gets jealous of Arc 1+2 and wants their own.

I wish someone would swoop in and put everything in the southwood lands on hold until the existing land along Chancellor Matheson is fully developed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:19 PM

Up to 15 of 16 on the south side.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:58 PM

Moving up again on the south side - that should be level 16 and top.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:38 PM

South side topped out and north side catching up.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:46 PM
What could go wrong?

It has quite the presence entering the city from south Pembina.

I was amazed too how bulked up St Norbert is looking lately. There isn't much in the way of "you gotta see it architecture" but entering the city, there is really no suburban single family home build-up - just "BAM" a wall of 4-6 storey multi-family buildings.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:44 PM

^ Pembina from the southern tip of St. Norbert to Bison has really bulked up, as you say. Not sure what the status of the project on the former Frontier Toyota site is, but once that gets going it will only keep building momentum in that regard.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Well they just assigned a Construction Manager to the project which is progress forward. I would guess they will start before the end of the year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It has quite the presence entering the city from south Pembina.

I was amazed too how bulked up St Norbert is looking lately. There isn't much in the way of "you gotta see it architecture" but entering the city, there is really no suburban single family home build-up - just "BAM" a wall of 4-6 storey multi-family buildings.
Beats the empty lots/derelict buildings that existed before.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:06 PM

^ The new Co-op looks like it will also help to jazz up the streetscape a bit. It's nice that it isn't just a typical big box at the back of a giant parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
^ The new Co-op looks like it will also help to jazz up the streetscape a bit. It's nice that it isn't just a typical big box at the back of a giant parking lot.
The burst pipe was a blessing in disguise. The old store was so tired and worn out.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Topped out?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:09 PM

Looks to be fully topped out aside from maybe some mechanical stuff, tower crane is down
Windows seem to be mostly all in, but no sign of any cladding yet

Link to live cam:
https://app.truelook.com/?u=ch1533221894#tl_live

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan