HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:05 PM

Toronto developer plans big project in West Village

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...uckhead-s.html

Quote:
Great Gulf Residential is partnering with West Village developer Edens on the project, which will include residential built over street-level retail. It wouldn’t start construction until next year.

An affiliate of Great Gulf recently purchased about an acre of the Andrews Square shopping center for $11 million, according to Fulton County property records. Edens was the seller and will remain the retail developer. The deal closed Feb. 7.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I'm pretty interested in this proposal. The more infill that occurs between East Andrews and Peachtree, the more we essentially have a mini Midtown without the transit, bike lanes, or parks. It may not be as connected to the rest of the city and may be far more affluent than most, but we should also really be looking forward to this area's long term success. We're also likely going to see similar occurrences to Midtown where the dive/seedier entertainment is lost for more upscale entertainment.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I'm pretty interested in this proposal. The more infill that occurs between East Andrews and Peachtree, the more we essentially have a mini Midtown without the transit, bike lanes, or parks. It may not be as connected to the rest of the city and may be far more affluent than most, but we should also really be looking forward to this area's long term success. We're also likely going to see similar occurrences to Midtown where the dive/seedier entertainment is lost for more upscale entertainment.
I am surprised Edens chose to renovate the existing buildings. These buildings really are not every interesting architecturally - why not tear down and have a clear plot to develop a mixed-use project? With that said, I am interested to see how they are going to incorporate the new development into the existing retail buildings.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am surprised Edens chose to renovate the existing buildings. These buildings really are not every interesting architecturally - why not tear down and have a clear plot to develop a mixed-use project? With that said, I am interested to see how they are going to incorporate the new development into the existing retail buildings.
While I haven't viewed the plans, I expect the two story section on the left of the image above/across from Churchill's to be demolished.

As a general vision for the area, I'd love for the area to the north along East Andrews (and the west side of Roswell Rd from East Andrews to Peachtree) to become a big pedestrian plaza instead of so much surface parking.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Its almost cliche to say but this could really start to resemble Beverly Hills from a density/walkability perspective.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:50 AM

Wow, what Great Gulf is doing in Toronto is amazing. One Bloor for example. How would this look in Midtown? As tall as Opus 2 was supposed to be.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Wow, what Great Gulf is doing in Toronto is amazing. One Bloor for example. How would this look in Midtown? As tall as Opus 2 was supposed to be.
All of their high rises would be notable additions to Atlanta! Sheesh! The one you post reminds me of Aqua in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 1:14 AM

3172 Roswell Road

Updated rendering

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Updated rendering
An improvement, in my opinion.

I think the Village was smart to limit building heights to 20 stories or so. That makes for a more human scale, and encourages developers to cover more ground with their buildings.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
An improvement, in my opinion.

I think the Village was smart to limit building heights to 20 stories or so. That makes for a more human scale, and encourages developers to cover more ground with their buildings.
I didn't realized there was a height limit though that would explain why all the recent proposals/new construction seemed to be in the same ~20 story range.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
I didn't realized there was a height limit though that would explain why all the recent proposals/new construction seemed to be in the same ~20 story range.
Most of the Village is in SPI-9. There can be variations but the DRC is usually pretty tight on height limitations.

Special Public Interest District 9

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Updated rendering
Cannot help but feel we have an upcoming battle that will occur between New residents and bars/bar patrons that frequent the area. This part of town is loud every weekend.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 3:57 PM

It won't take long, those bars will be history.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Updated rendering

If that's brick, that's going to be a great looking building. Buckhead just builds higher quality stuff than Midtown/Downtown does.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
It won't take long, those bars will be history.
Makes me wonder where all the frat bros will disperse to. Atlanta needs more neighborhoods with entertainment districts. West midtown, the beltline, EAV, Virginia Highland, Edgewood, really everywhere is always packed. Taking out an entire entertainment district will really shake things up.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Cannot help but feel we have an upcoming battle that will occur between New residents and bars/bar patrons that frequent the area. This part of town is loud every weekend.
Yeah. Every time I'm in the area I wonder how this is going to play out with so much residential coming right on top of the party scene.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Edens Partners With Canadian Firm to Bring Residential Units to Andrews Square

Several pictures at the link below.

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2018/02/Ede...t-Village.html

Quote:
Also nearby, Lennar Residential plans to start construction on their 20 story, 291 unit apartment complex next month. Camden Properties also recently began site work on the latest phase of their Camden Paces development. The new phase, which will reportedly be comprised of two towers, will bring another 365 apartments to the area.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:

Completely forgot Irby has been under construction for some time! With that, the Lennar project, and the new proposal at East Andrews will really make this place even more dense. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:

That article also mentions a residential project is slated for the strip mall site next to the St. Regis. I know a few renderings were posted on here within the last few weeks, but has there been any movement on that site? I couldn't tell if those were for conceptual/marketing or if they were actually a proposal for the site.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
That article also mentions a residential project is slated for the strip mall site next to the St. Regis. I know a few renderings were posted on here within the last few weeks, but has there been any movement on that site? I couldn't tell if those were for conceptual/marketing or if they were actually a proposal for the site.
I recall reading something about that site but I don't remember seeing a rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta