HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:07 AM

Upcoming Trip to Montreal

I tried this in the Sky Bar but it was suggested I would have more luck here.

I will be visiting Montreal with my girlfriend at the end of May. I'm hoping to enlist some of you fine people in figuring out what we should do for the 5 days we will be there. Here are the categories I'm looking for help with:

1. Things we should definitely do, can't miss attractions. Things that are in a guidebook but still live up to the hype.

2. Things to skip, they might be in the guidebook and all over the internet but its really just not worth it. (Philadelphia example: the Liberty Bell)

3. Underrated attractions and things locals like to do or places they like to hang out, things that won't appear on Trip Advisor.

Lets hear it!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:45 AM

Well, I don't have much experience there, but my 2 (I mean 5) cents:

You could try climbing Mount Royal, it's a nice enough view. Maybe the biodome would be worth a visit. I went there when I was a kid. I only remember the penguins, but I think there's more than that.

Since I'm Catholic, there are a number of religious heritage sites there, like Notre Dame Basilica, St Joseph's Oratory (which apparently hosts a lot of concerts/organ recitals), etc. There's also a pretty nice looking chapel on the other end of Old Montreal. However, if that stuff doesn't appeal to you, then the must see one is Notre Dame Basilica because it's epic.

Also, Old Montreal in general is worth seeing.

I think there's supposed to be a pretty big amusement park there.

As for things like nightlife and such, I would be a bad person to talk to, since that kind of thing doesn't really appeal to me.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 4:02 AM

My one recommendation would be to check out St Denis St. (Latin Quarter). There's this really cool vibe there and there's lots of places to eat and drink. It's more French which adds to its appeal.

You'll probly get a lot more feed back tomorrow as it's late back east right mow.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 6:22 AM

Tam-tams (Sunday afternoons) at Parc Jeanne-Mance are a must. They should be on by May's end. Spitting distance from Le Plateau, too. In Le Plateau, St-Denis is also a must, as is Parc La Fontaine. Schwartz Deli (Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches) can get ridiculously busy, but try it and if the line is too busy, go to Main Deli, which is just down the block. Square Saint-Louis is pretty picturesque. La Banquise is the go-to poutine place, though I also didn't mind Poutineville in Le Village. St-Cath East in Le Village is also a must; try and hit a patio for dinner or drinks, it's a good people-watching opportunity.

Wander around the Mile-End side of Le Plateau; if you have time try both Fairmount and St-Viateur Bagels to see which you prefer for Montreal-style bagels. Drawn & Quarterly's brick-and-mortar store is also a good place to waste hours looking through high quality graphic novels (in English).

I personally really liked the Musee des Beaux Arts, one of the finer art museums in Canada for sure. Right downtown, too. Wander St-Catherine (the "main street" of Montreal) through downtown, hit up modernist gems like Place Ville-Marie nearby while you're at it. Old Town/Old Port is pretty and worth a visit, but it's hella touristy so I wouldn't waste too much time there.

Kondiaronk Lookout in Parc Mont-Royal.

Olympic Stadium. Just don't waste money on a full tour and visit up to the observation deck... not worth the price. The building can be admired from street level.

St-Henri is a really cool, offbeat neighbourhood. Lots of artists moving in but it's still got its working class charm for now. Loads of neon, too. And the Canada Malting Co Plant (now abandoned) is pretty awesome and popular with urbexers.

Westmount if you're into gorgeous old money mansions.

I'll reiterate Le Plateau and Mile-End -- arguably the best part of Montreal and make sure you scurry off the main roads and experience Montreal's endless spiral staircase-d triplexes.

If you want to see hell-on-earth banality, I'd recommend taking the metro up to Laval and gawking at the clock tower condo.

Pont Jacques-Cartier is kinda cool to walk across. Also Habitat 67.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
My one recommendation would be to check out St Denis St. (Latin Quarter). There's this really cool vibe there and there's lots of places to eat and drink. It's more French which adds to its appeal.
I'd actually recommend St Denis north of Sherbrooke. From Sherbrooke to Mt Royal and even beyond. Better dining choices. Cool pubs and bars. Great architecture and a lot of interesting feeder streets that beckon exploration....

-Rachel (head out east and have a poutine at Banquise - then take a walk to Lafontaine park)

- Duluth - cute street with many good dining choices.

- Just off of St Denis and north of Sherbrooke you have Carré Saint-Louis. Possibly the prettiest small park in all of Montreal. From there continue up Laval steet for one of the best urban walks the city has to offer. Keep walking until you hit Mt Royal. Why not? Mt Royal is one of the most under rated streets in the city. Turn right and keep walking. An endless sea of cafes, bars, restos, bakeries --- and then more cafes, bars, restos, bakeries, ---- and then more --- you get the idea... It's in a real neighborhood too. A great urban vibe. Turn up any random street. What will you see? Montreal.

- Check out St Viateur in the Mile End district. Walk a block south to Fairmont and check out Wilensky's. A restaurant that hasn't been renovated since the Great Depression. Hell spend the whole day in Mile End.

If you are an urban grit freak like me. Head south west to Verdun. In particular Wellington street near the avenues. This place really has a timeless vibe. In my humble opinion one of the most special places in all of Montreal.

My 'secret' street recommendation. Napolean east of St Laurant just before it smashes into Laval. For its unique urban vibe and the best empanadas in the city (at La Chilenita)

Also recommend Laurier heading east from St Denis. Perfect urban vibe. Stop off at Tri's for sushi. The sushi is good but more impressive is the restaurant itself. It's one of those places that make you believe that you living the Montreal urban dream.

More suggestions to come

Last edited by matthew6; Apr 19, 2016 at 7:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I'll reiterate Le Plateau and Mile-End
Yes it basically comes to this. Endless wandering possibilities.

Also sorry for repeating the same things - we must have been creating our posts at the same time!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 7:20 AM

^ No worries dude. Good catch on Wilensky's, Ave Mont-Royal, Rue Rachel, and Verdun... forgot about those.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:32 AM

As someone mentioned, don't go up to the observation deck at the Olympic Stadium. Too expensive and far from everything. Try the new one at the top of Place Ville-Marie instead that is scheduled to open soon I believe. This one is right in the middle of the action.

Other places you should see: the Ste-Hélène and Notre-Dame islands, Jean-Talon Market, rent a bike and go to the end of the Lachine Canal at René-Lévesque park. You will get a taste of Canada's oldest industrial area and see the Lachine rapids, the Atwater market as well as the old town of Lachine on the way. The oldest house on the island of Montreal can be found there and it happens to be a museum that gives a good picture of Montreal in the 1600's (can be visited in an hour, nothing too fancy)

Other than that, Hochelaga is worth a look if you want to see a slighty gritty French Canadian neighborhood with lots of character.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:56 AM

Parkway, what does your wife and you are into? Architecture ? Food ? History? Art ?

Let me know for a more suggestion lists.

Do avoid the underground city; it's just endless corridors connecting banal shopping centres. Zero interest.

If you like to walk in nice neighbourhoods for architecture and urban vibes... try this:

1. Old Montreal = the eastern part, around City Hall, is more touristy and has great monumental and civic architecture. Don't miss the Chateau Ramezay and its lovely "new France" garden. The Marché Bonsecours is nice also. Climb the Clock Tower at the Old Port for a great view. Visit the Chapelle du Bonsecours on St-Paul (it's lovely), dont miss Place d'Armes with Notre-Dame basilica and go into the old Bank of Montreal head office - it's free and it's grandiose. On Saint-Jacques, see also the lobby of the old Royal Bank building, also amazing. Stop for tea at the St. James hotel, the most sumptuous in the city.

Old Montreal should be explore by foot over a day long period, take your time to discover every little corners and hidden streets, that are full of smaller gardens. The western part of the Old Montreal is less touristy but just as beautiful.

Any visit of Le Plateau should start at Sherbrooke metro station and the Saint-Louis square, which boast some of the most amazing victorian architecture anywhere on this continent. It has no rival in Canada for sure. Explore the whole neighbourhood walking towards Milton Parc and McGill. You cal also go up towards parc Jeanne-Mance and walk along l'Esplanade for more victorian eye candy everywhere. Or go east toward Parc Lafontaine.

Saint-Denis, above Sherbrooke, is under construction and not very pleasant right now because of that.

Go the Mile End for some of that Brooklyn-type hipster vibe with a french accent. From there, heads toward Outremont: Bernard Street, Laurier, etc. Walk the residential streets in there for lovely gardens, parcs and beautiful triplexes and more victorian architecture. From there, you can push your visit north for Little Italy, or simply go back toward downtown and even go up Mount Royal.

If you go to the belvedere on Mount Royal (you should), try to go at the end of the day to enjoy the skyline during day and then when the night falls, it's spectacular.

Also, don't miss Westmount. You can start at Green Avenue (where you will see Mies's Westmount Square), and then walk lower Westmount, another amazing and endless collection of lovely victorian greystones.

Don't miss the islands. The Parc Jean Drapeau offers amazing view of the river and the skyline. Six Flags is there if you are into that sort of thing.

Rent a bike and ride along the Lachine Canal; it's great way to visit the South West part of the city: Griffintown, St-Henry... stop at the Atwater market.

Don't miss the Museau of Fine Arts on Sherbrooke (they have a show on Pompeii right now which is pretty good); don't miss their amazing "designs and decorative arts" displays.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great list.
For a great pub experience, there is the Beer Garden at le Sainte Elizabeth. best experienced in the evening, although it is adjacent to Montreal's Red Light district.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Le+...7e27358570c4fd

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

For nightlife, I'd also recommend a boîte à chansons, which is a Québécois sing-along bar.

The most iconic one is probably Aux Deux Pierrots, on St-Paul in Old Montreal. It's very close to Place Jacques-Cartier which is the main square in the old town.

It can sometimes be very crowded and raucous. Great atmosphere and an interesting experience for sure.

Right next door is Le Pierrot. Similar place and gets the overflow crowd from the "Deux".

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I definitely think the Olympic "pôle" is worth a visit if you're in town for five days.

In addition to the stadium you have the Biodôme there plus the Jardin Botanique (second largest in the world I think?) right across the street which by the end of May will be leafed out and blooming.

It's away from downtown it's true but easily accessible via Métro.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:45 PM
More transit please

The Mount Royal belvedere is very touristy but it's free and the view of Downtown from the mountain is beautiful. If you're into nature walks, this is definitely a place to go.

Old Montreal and the Old Port is a must.

If you're into urban exploring of neighborhoods, the Mile End and Lower Westmount are great places to visit not far from the Downtown core.

I would suggest traveling everywhere by Metro. Depending on how many days you are staying, buy a 7-ticket pass as it will be very useful to get around the areas you'll want to visit.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Go to a city park on a weekend afternoon. It's a whole thing, almost like cherry blossom season in Japan. Very different than just hanging out in a park everywhere else.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For nightlife, I'd also recommend a boîte à chansons, which is a Québécois sing-along bar.

The most iconic one is probably Aux Deux Pierrots, on St-Paul in Old Montreal. It's very close to Place Jacques-Cartier which is the main square in the old town.

It can sometimes be very crowded and raucous. Great atmosphere and an interesting experience for sure.

Right next door is Le Pierrot. Similar place and gets the overflow crowd from the "Deux".
I didn't realize they still existed! I helped run one in Riviere du Loup for a couple of months. Many, many, (many) years ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 2:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Assuming the OP has access to a car, a couple of good out-of-town day trips would be:

Mont-Tremblant in the Laurentians. Alpine ski village theme. Pretty nice. There won't be any skiing in late May but still lots of things to do in the area in summer. A bit over an hour drive from Montreal.

Sugar shack (cabane à sucre): by late May the season will be over for most of the cabanes but the one in Rigaud (45 min west of the city) is open year-round. It's called Sucrerie de la Montagne. Again, for a "unique" experience I'd go for this.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 2:43 PM
sick transit, gloria

Some great suggestions here! It may be worthwhile taking advantage of the bike share to get around as opposed to trying to rent a bike. I haven't actually used it in Montreal yet but know it's pretty extensive.

May as well take advantage of this thread to hijack it a little bit - I'm planning a long weekend trip in late May, which will be the first time I've visited in almost 5 years. I know neighbourhoods decently well, and have too many restaurant recommendations to deal with! But am particularly interested in checking out the craft beer scene.

Do any forumers have particular favourites or good suggestions for craft beer bars, or places that have a good craft selection? I found this map http://montreal.eater.com/maps/best-...pubs-beer-bars which seems helpful, but I know when I see similar things for Toronto they are often missing places I know about. The only definites I want to check out are Dieu Du Ciel and Vices et Versa.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:13 PM
Montérégien

1. Things we should definitely do :
My Montreal friends here have already done a wonderful work here :-)
I will only add my personal incontourbables to all of these great lists. In short I'd say :
  • Free walk through le Vieux-Montréal.
  • Walking Sainte-Catherine St. from Atwater to the Gay Village
  • Climbing the mont Royal from Georges-Étienne Cartier monument near Parc Avenue to Beaver lake, and then up towards Kondiaronk Lookout.
  • Heading to the Botanical garden, the world's second largest. Very impressive Japanese, Chinese and First Nations gardens. Impressive greenhouses. Maybe you could book a spot at the Tea ceremony ritual.
  • Lachine canal by bike or canoe. You can easily rent. Be sure to stop by Atwater Market on your way.
  • McGill campus is pretty cool when the weather is good!
  • Exploring the Plateau
  • Enjoying the sunshine with a blanket and some wine in the parks (Jarry, LaFontaine, Laurier...)
  • Enjoying a meal and a beer on a patio (terrasse in French) on any great commercial street!
  • The Chinese neighbourhood is mostly one street : De La Gauchetière. But it's kind of cool (though very small) anyway.
  • Musée d'art contemporain and Musée des Beaux-Arts (Contemporary Art / Fine Arts). Centre Canadien d'Architecture (Canadian centre for Architecture).
  • Saint-Laurent boulevard from Sherbrooke st. all the way to Bernard St., for shopping, eating, drinking, walking.
  • Petite Italie is also a cool place. It's not as italian as it used to be though.

2. Things to skip :
  • Olympic Stadium, definitely... The immediate surroundings suck and there's not much to do. You may wanna hit the nearby Insectarium or Planetarium or Biodome instead, which all offer a much more interesting experience.
  • Never eat a poutine at La Banquise. It's the festival of salt and honestly, local montrealers usually don't go there. We prefer to eat it at small places that are not banners (Claudette or Patati Patata, for example)
  • Crescent St. It's packed with tourists, essentially from anglo countries, it's kind of overrated, and honestly, bustling with douchebags. Not a bad place, but maybe you would prefer to hit Saint-Denis st. between Maisonneuve boul. and Sherbrooke St. (the Latin quarter), which offers a greater vibe, better places to eat or drink, etc.

3. Underrated attractions and things locals like to do
As a 30-year-old Montrealer, I'd say my favourite spots to go are located around these metro stations : Laurier / Rosemont / Beaubien / Jean-Talon / Jarry on the Orange line ; De L'Église / Charlevoix / Berri-UQÀM / Beaudry / Papineau / Joliette on the Green Line ; De Castelnau / Parc on the Blue Line.
  • If you want to enjoy a great cheap night of good jazz/world/experimental music, be sure to hit La Casa del Popolo. One of the greatest places in Montréal in my opinion. Just on the other side of the street, there is La Sala Rossa, which is basically a theatre, but where you will find exquisite spanish tapas in an incredible ambiance (there are often flamenco dancers, etc.) In fact, Saint-Laurent boulevard is kind of cool in this area ; it's the Portugese / Latino neighbourhood of Montreal. Lots of great portugese chicken places and a specific vibe.
  • One of the most underrated attractions is probably the Réseau des Grands parcs (Great Parks Network), which is constituted of many huge natural parks in many corners of the city. I especially love taking a walk at Parc de l'Île-de-la-Visitation, with its old mill ruins, its island in the middle of the river... I also enjoy Bois-de-Liesse park, in the north of the city ; the Islands as MartinMtl wrote ; Maisonneuve or Angrignon parks ; Cap-Saint-Jacques park (though public transit is long and sucks to get there)...
  • Mont-Royal park is obviously a must-see, but I'd say that walking into the adjacent Notre-Dame-des-Neiges cemetary is quite an experience. It's the largest necropolis in North America. It's got a kind of Père-Lachaise vibe, especially in the upper part!
  • If you have a chance to rent a car for one day, I suggest you to drive the Lakeshore boulevard from the old part of Lachine, then through Dorval, Pointe-Claire, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Senneville, Sainte-Geneviève... all the way to Ahuntsic. It's a great drive. Many great busy small village nodes (Lachine / Pointe-Claire / Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue). Very surprising on a 2M inhabitants island! The lakes (Saint-Louis, des Deux-Montagnes) are beautiful.
  • Montreal is kind of a craft beer Mecca. If you love beer, be sure to at least go to one of the numerous micro-breweries or brew-pubs scattered all around town : Dieu du Ciel! ; Isle de Garde ; Benelux ; Ma Brasserie ; BroueHaha ; L'amère à boire ; Etoh ; Harricana ; Vices & Versa ; Réservoir ; Le Saint-Bock ; Le Cheval Blanc ; Les Soeurs Grises ; HELM ; Station Ho.St. ; etc.
Special section : Le Plateau / Mile End
  • Le Plateau is definitly a great place to hang out. Mont-Royal avenue is the traditional commercial street to explore. However, I'd say that if you feel like it, you could have a picnic at Laurier park (there's a supermarket right next to it ; if you want to have wine with your picnic, be sure to have plastic cups as glass is not allowed and to drink it before 10PM) and then head to some of the numerous cafés on Laurier avenue Est.
  • You could do the same thing (picnic, wine) at parc LaFontaine also, near the pond. Great place to hang out if it's sunny. Guitar / weed vapes ;-) / people go crazy / it gets packed.
  • In the Mile End, you should definitely walk Park Avenue north from Laurier to Bernard. And do not forget St-Zotique St. Mostly to feel the vibe, grab a bite, have a real nice coffee... There's De Gaspé street where you can find a bunch of independant cafés in an industrial setting. The nearby Champ des possibles is an urban wasteland that has been reappropriated by the citizens. If you are lucky, there may be activities such as urban flora identification, etc. ;-)
Other local commercial streets
  • Wellington St. is the main one in the neighbourhood of Verdun. Cafés, new bars, good food. Popular vibe.
  • Ontario promenade is the main street in Hochelaga. VERY popular vibe, mixed with young / kind of bobo establishments. Great street : local taverns, brocantes, nice bars (Monsieur Smith, Le Trèfle, Le Blind Pig, L'Espace Public, etc.), great restaurants, Maisonneuve Market. Good place for a night.
  • Masson St. is the heart of Rosemont. Young crowd, essentially francophone. Lots of new restaurants with interesting concepts (Quai no.4, for example) and bars with young professionals. Popular and trendy.
  • De Castelnau St. / Villeray St. / Jarry St. / Jean-Talon St. are the main and the most interesting streets in the neighbourhood of Villeray. Very close to Jean-Talon market. Small independant cafés (Larue & Fils, Chez Vito, Le Berri, Oui mais Non, etc.), great spots for a good simple meal (Le cochon caché, L'enchanteur, Tapeo, Le Petit Alep, Kitchen Gallerie...), nice local bars and/or micro-breweries (Le Pourvoyeur, Etoh, Huis Clos...)
  • Beaubien St. / Saint-Zotique St. east of Saint-Denis St. are also popular places amongst Montréal's young adults.
The list could go on and on...
Ephemeral public spaces in the summer
Lots of interesting tactical urbanism experiments, great places to be :
  • Le Village Au-Pied-du-Courant, an urban village created by yound designers every summer just under the Jacques-Cartier bridge, on an abandoned piece of land. Very festive!
  • Shamrock place, next to Jean-Talon market.
  • Castelnau place, over Sainte-Cécile church's parvis.
  • Parc Stanley St. place, in Ahuntsic, next to des Prairies river.
  • Sainte-Catherine St. in the Village, with the pink balls. It's probably in the guides though.

I hope you will enjoy your short stay

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 4:15 PM

Another thing I would suggest if you are intending to rent a bike is the the bike path that runs between Nun's island and the Jean Drapeau park through the Champlain Bridge "estacade". You will be on a long strip of land between the St.Lawrence seaway and the St.Lawrence river that goes on for a few km and that offer some of the nicest views you can get of downtown Montreal. On the way you can stop at the St.Lawrence seaway locks and then visit the islands at Jean Drapeau Park.

The estacade is a bridge exclusively used by pedestrians and cyclists so you can cross the St.Lawrence river there.

Last edited by le calmar; Apr 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I tried this in the Sky Bar but it was suggested I would have more luck here.
And I was right, wasn't I?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal