HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Pretty meh at street level.

Third + Shoal by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr
And this is supposed to be its "good" side

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Pretty meh at street level.
Yeah, not real fancy, but as jdawgboy, kevin and myself noticed on our field trip a while back, part of the problem is their choice of materials, mainly the metallic accents. While I'm no longer a hater of this building, well we all know what we like and don't like about it. Still waiting to see a good picture of it lit. I hope something can be done to improve the curb appeal a little, or should I say a lot. Right now its kind of a bigger version of that 9 story stack of shoe boxes on Barton Springs at street level.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 1:57 PM
World Traveler

Is the glassed portion just a lobby or is it retail?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 3:27 PM

went to TOL last night, hoping this one would be lit.....no dice. When do we expect this building to be occupied?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Is the glassed portion just a lobby or is it retail?
Bank of America is due to open up a location in the building. It will probably take the corner retail spot. A restaurant from the Emmer & Rye folks is going to take the retail spot on the Shoal Creek side.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 6:01 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Bank of America is due to open up a location in the building. It will probably take the corner retail spot. A restaurant from the Emmer & Rye folks is going to take the retail spot on the Shoal Creek side.
Good to know, thanks.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:55 PM

"Chicago Craft Coffee Roaster Intelligentsia Is Opening First Texas Cafe"
https://austin.eater.com/2018/12/10/...owntown-nueces

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
"Chicago Craft Coffee Roaster Intelligentsia Is Opening First Texas Cafe"
https://austin.eater.com/2018/12/10/...owntown-nueces

Ooooh that's good java.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:19 PM

Lol at the word "craft." Can we please stop slapping that word everywhere lol

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Lol at the word "craft." Can we please stop slapping that word everywhere lol
To interject with some of my coffee snobbishness, Intelligentsia was once absolutely what you would call "craft" or "artisan" coffee.

Sadly, they were bought out by Peet's and the quality has started to suffer. It's still pretty good coffee and will be a nice addition to the area. But essentially you can think of it as another location of Houndstooth.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
To interject with some of my coffee snobbishness, Intelligentsia was once absolutely what you would call "craft" or "artisan" coffee.

Sadly, they were bought out by Peet's and the quality has started to suffer. It's still pretty good coffee and will be a nice addition to the area. But essentially you can think of it as another location of Houndstooth.
Hey Gecko, who are your top 3 coffee spots in Austin? I'm an aspiring coffee snob.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Hey Gecko, who are your top 3 coffee spots in Austin? I'm an aspiring coffee snob.
Figure 8 and Fleet, both in East Austin, are the best by a decent margin.

Flat Track is popular, and they just hired a new barista (whom I know), who has been making things better than previously. I've only tried it once since though.

Merit Coffee at Seaholm is pretty good, but variety is limited because they only use their own beans. They do have the best coffee-shop pastries in Austin though.

Houndstooth is similar to Merit in that they now only use their own beans, but I think the quality is largely worse. They are also the most expensive shop in Austin.

Flitch in East Austin is fine, but it's run out of a trailer so there's not much space to sit and hang out. Similarly, they have such a small operation that their coffee can be pretty hit or miss, in my opinion. They do carry Onyx, which is a great roaster.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Figure 8 and Fleet, both in East Austin, are the best by a decent margin.

Flat Track is popular, and they just hired a new barista (whom I know), who has been making things better than previously. I've only tried it once since though.

Merit Coffee at Seaholm is pretty good, but variety is limited because they only use their own beans. They do have the best coffee-shop pastries in Austin though.

Houndstooth is similar to Merit in that they now only use their own beans, but I think the quality is largely worse. They are also the most expensive shop in Austin.

Flitch in East Austin is fine, but it's run out of a trailer so there's not much space to sit and hang out. Similarly, they have such a small operation that their coffee can be pretty hit or miss, in my opinion. They do carry Onyx, which is a great roaster.
I live off S Lamar, what are your thoughts on Patika and Medici? Also, have you tried the coffee shop at the Carpenter? I typically drink cortados, what drink do you judge them all against? Cheers, and I’ll get this thread back on track.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I live off S Lamar, what are your thoughts on Patika and Medici? Also, have you tried the coffee shop at the Carpenter? I typically drink cortados, what drink do you judge them all against? Cheers, and I’ll get this thread back on track.
Both are alright but not great. And I have not had the coffee at the Carpenter, but it's my understanding that they use Merit coffee's beans. I suppose it would depend on if they are using single-origin for most cups or blends. And I will drink Cortados, Cappuccinos, Iced Lattes, or just normal espresso shots.

But yes, to be back on topic, I'm actually excited for this one to open. The building isn't the greatest, but once this and Austin Proper open, that whole area will really take of more than it already has.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:23 AM

Third + Shoal lighting was testing tonight, pulsing and some flickering. This is by far is the "good side of the building.

the embedded gif isn't working well so Here is the link if you want to se it as it was.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:33 AM

Well, its like a magicians trick of slight of hand, it keeps you from noticing what going on below, at least at night. Now if only there was a distraction to draw your eyes away from the bottom during the day....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Well, its like a magicians trick of slight of hand, it keeps you from noticing what going on below, at least at night. Now if only there was a distraction to draw your eyes away from the bottom during the day....
Maybe a mural one day. Or some nice plantings/vines.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:16 AM

Here's a link to a different view of the light testing that I got: https://gfycat.com/AnnualVastEmeraldtreeskink

And a picture of it fully lit:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm not sure what their trying to achieve. Looks like there are some glitches that need to be fixed. I like the idea of light patterns though the effect would be much better with colors than just plain white.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:50 AM

I don't really get it. Maybe because the building was built on the old Austin Music Hall site those are some kind of abstract guitar strings? Pulsing to music? Colors would definitely make them more interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin