HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the land it's sitting on.
I hope that's the case. Who's got appetite for a big new project in OV right now? Seems like PPP is stretched pretty thin.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:50 PM

The heritage appeal for that old house at the east end of Stradbrook was denied, the houses will be coming down. Exciting to see another project there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 8:44 PM

No doubt, happy that a sparse handful of people didn’t get their way on this. Really happy to see continued density moving forward.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
No doubt, happy that a sparse handful of people didn’t get their way on this. Really happy to see continued density moving forward.
Density is great. A word of caution though, I think the city should be making decisions based on what is in the city's best interest regardless of how many people support/oppose. What happens when it's us who are the 'sparse few' advocating for something?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
Density is great. A word of caution though, I think the city should be making decisions based on what is in the city's best interest regardless of how many people support/oppose. What happens when it's us who are the 'sparse few' advocating for something?
I'm happy for the outcome, but I am also happy that the process was exercised.

I think there is very little historic value to this house. He just happened to live there for a while after his political life. A stink is being raised because some people are losing their rental homes, for which I sympathize (a little).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 1:31 AM

Looks like another apartment building going into the area at 216 Cockburn. It's replacing what's currently a duplex (maybe a triplex).

Maybe I'm just bad with clkapps, as I couldn't find it there, but here's the text pulled from data.winnipeg.ca

To vary the R2 PDO-1 Corydon Osborne dimensional standards of Zoning By-Law No. 200/2006 as follows:
1) for the construction of a multi-family dwelling to permit:
a) a front yard of 25 feet (7.62 metres) instead of 34 feet (10.36 metres);
b) 7 parking spaces instead of 9 parking spaces;
2) for the establishment of accessory parking area to permit:
a) no visitor parking instead of 1 visitor space;
b) parking space widths of 9 feet (2.74 metres) instead of 10 feet (3.05 metres) for parking spaces adjacent to a fence or wall;
c) a parking space depth of 21 feet (6.40 metres) instead of 23 feet (7.01 metres) when parking directly accessed from a lane;
d) insufficient buffering of parking located within 20 feet (6.1 metres) of a rear lot line adjacent to a residential district

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
We lose to the majority and are unhappy and the universe moves on.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
. I choose to focus on what is better than losing sleep over a curb cut or gravel parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:59 PM

This sounds like an pretty incredible reno project going on at Augustine Church on River

Quote:
Church renos to complete vision for community hub
Osborne Village centre undergoes $6.5-M revamp

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...571458412.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This sounds like an pretty incredible reno project going on at Augustine Church on River
Great to see.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:44 PM

I liked this part in particular:

Quote:
The same donor has offered to fund the painting of the church turrets this summer and to refurbish the prominent spire-topped tower at the northeast corner of the church next year. That slender tower rises more than 50 metres from street level, making the church a visible landmark in Osborne Village.
That steeple has looked pretty shabby for as long as I can remember and it is really prominent, so this is great news.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
I would rather see a tower added that can fund these programs and include affordable housing like the West Broadway Commons that has topped out at 12 floors last week.

Every church in the Village should do it,, but they are restricted to 4 floors smaller buildings that are not as economically viable.

Last edited by eman; Jun 25, 2020 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:11 AM

Quote:
The existing grand worship space, featuring tall, stained-glass windows, a horseshoe balcony, and curved auditorium-style seating will be transformed into a 500-seat multi-use performing arts centre and also continue as the home for the congregation of about 90.
this part would lead me to believe a partnership with the gas station theatre isn't that far out of the realm of possibility allowing them to exit that property and free that up for a new development.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 6:33 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I liked this part in particular:

That steeple has looked pretty shabby for as long as I can remember and it is really prominent, so this is great news.
That’s so funny. Just yesterday I was looking at that spire thinking I hope they never paint it because it looks like an old European spire with the rust. I love how it’s worn. Oh well.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
this part would lead me to believe a partnership with the gas station theatre isn't that far out of the realm of possibility allowing them to exit that property and free that up for a new development.
Good catch, I noticed the mention of a theatre but I didn't make the connection with the Gas Station Theatre. That could be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That’s so funny. Just yesterday I was looking at that spire thinking I hope they never paint it because it looks like an old European spire with the rust. I love how it’s worn. Oh well.
You think so? I get the look you're describing but Augustine is going beyond character-laden and into neglected/abandoned territory.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Good catch, I noticed the mention of a theatre but I didn't make the connection with the Gas Station Theatre. That could be interesting.

You think so? I get the look you're describing but Augustine is going beyond character-laden and into neglected/abandoned territory.
I actually know that kind of like the rust too. But maybe something needs to be done before it starts falling apart.

I was thinking the same thing about the gas station theatre. They seem to be struggling for cash, and, in the meanwhile, a new theatre is being installed across the street.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
and anything to get rid of that "plaza" finally!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 9:27 PM

I posted this in the Osborne Place thread too but:

Quote:
The rezoning to TOD was approved.

"The building will include residential units, commercial areas for a restaurant and planned cooking school, and the city’s first robotic parking garage, along with bike parking.

"The bike stalls, the plaza space, the location next to the rapid transit line, the juxtaposition of the parkade and the rooftop is artful," Rollins said. "This is an example of growing up and out.""

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou....html#cxrecs_s
I think with this going through it's really time for the city to take a serious holistic look at the future plan for Confusion Corner. The entire lot in the middle of it should get this TOD zoning to encourage a complete redevelopment, but that needs to include what the street and public realm design looks like.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
artful
stares at rendering, blinking incredulously

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:24 PM

Proposal for 255 Bell (behind the old US Consulate / Heart & Stroke Fdn building on Donald):

Item 3 here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan