HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Would this signal then that St. Mary's would likely be the first to get upgraded at Bishop then too, if we ever get anything? I know one is city and one province, but they must communicated on these things.
Doubt it. The City has a ring road study planned, but it keeps getting pushed back. If that ever goes ahead, we would have more details.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Would this signal then that St. Mary's would likely be the first to get upgraded at Bishop then too, if we ever get anything? I know one is city and one province, but they must communicated on these things.
As bomberjet already said, the City has no plans for that intersection over the short term, but I could see something being done within the next 50 years after the Ring Road study is completed. The only plans I've heard of for Bishop that could come up in the next 10 years would be the extension past Sage Creek from Lag to Fermor to connect with north Sage Creek.

Other than that, elected officials have little appetite for grade separations it seems unless it's a rail crossing - but the rail crossing at Bishop would seem to me to be an obvious priority but little attention is paid to regional road infrastructure by citizens unfortunately.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 10:20 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Good news the Province is making this effort. The Province said there is $65 million for highways in total. I'm not sure they can get this interchange done for that price.

Here is the plan for this area:

Yeah that's not gonna cut it if they go with that plan. It could easily cover the structures etc if the alignment wasnt going to change so much
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Well if it is closed off where it no longer is a through street to Assiniboine Park, that would make lots of sense.
I have no problem with that, simply get the snow clearing priority changed to match the current traffic volume first, then follow that up with the traffic study on closing that section of Wellington.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:48 AM

In terms of the ring road, the City has made it fairly clear the west (William Clement) and north (CPT) routes are current priorities over any service improvements to existing ring road candidates, ie Bishop.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 8:20 PM

Public service is recommending a change to off-peak flashing traffic signals. I think this is a great idea, I often have trouble crossing St. Mary's in the evening by my house when the signals are flashing, it's really bad in winter.

Quote:
177 signalized intersections in Winnipeg include “flash mode” operation. Of these, 162 have existing vehicle detection features, and 15 do not.

The Public Service recommends that the 177 identified intersections be reprogrammed
so they do not make use of “amber/red flash mode”. Those intersections with vehicle
detection features will be reprogrammed so that the signal rests on green for the major
roadway and red for the minor roadway. When a vehicle is detected on the minor
roadway, or a pedestrian activates the push button, the signal phase will change. Those
intersections without vehicle detection features will either be reprogrammed with fixed
timing plans cycling through “green, amber, red” phases, or will operate in “red/red”
flash mode, depending on the intersection’s characteristics.

This will provide benefit to all pedestrians crossing at these traffic signals by activating
the visual and audible “walk” indicators and thereby increasing the time periods
throughout the day that have controlled crossing opportunities.
10. http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...69329&InitUrl=

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:28 PM

The City is looking at implementing 30km/h speed limits in residential areas. The peoples are losing it on social media. I feel it's the same thing as the P&M debate.

On Facebook. Jeff Browaty runs the north kildonan community page. You would think it is the official plebiscite page by all the posters responses. "I hearby give you my official position that speed limits shall not be changed. Dost thou be sentenced to death if it so be." Basically. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

What's the problem with having 30 km/h limits on side streets. Main streets could stay at 50km/h. Cross streets down to 40 km/h. And then all the other streets just be 30 km/h?

Driving down side streets at 50 feels like it's too fast anyways. IMO. Driving one block at 20 km/h slower will hold you up for maybe 15 seconds. Maybe a bit more on the long curvilinear streets in newer areas.Then carry on your way. There's no reason to be travelling more than 1 block on the residential streets.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:49 PM

^ I think dropping to 30 is a little too much. I live in River Heights and on my street 50 is way too fast, but 30 is way too slow also. When I drive, 30-40 feels about right. Does it need to be legislated though? Nobody drives 50 on my street, do we need a sign and a law for something that is not an issue?

We don't need laws for everything. In my experience common sense does prevail and people drive less than 50, usually. If only the odd street needs a 30 kmh limit then just put a speed bump on it and let the driver decide what's appropriate.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:56 PM

There's already a law making it 50. What's the difference in changing it to 30? Money to put up signage I suppose.

The laws are there for the morons. Every law, not just speeds. Most people use common sense. But some don't. Like the morons who speed down my back lane constantly.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
There's already a law making it 50. What's the difference in changing it to 30? Money to put up signage I suppose.

The laws are there for the morons. Every law, not just speeds. Most people use common sense. But some don't. Like the morons who speed down my back lane constantly.
I think it depends on the street. If they make Grosvenor 30, then I will be mildly inconvenienced. But most other streets it won't make any difference.

Is the speed limit 50 down back lanes, technically? I know it's not really possible to go that fast on most of them. Because it's 50 unless otherwise posted. I do 20, I'm not reckless or anything, I just don't know if there is an additional law concerning them.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:25 PM

40 would be fine. 30 is just too slow. It's like stalker mode it's so slow.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:26 PM

I really think the activists are over playing their card with the whole 30km/h thing. I could see the city maybe instituting a 40km/h default speed limit but to go from 50km/h to 30km/h is too drastic a change at once and it will never get popular support. Just push for a reduction to 40, lock that in, and then after that if it's still a problem, 30 can be advocated for at a later time.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:32 PM

That's what I mean though. Grosvenor is one of the main streets. Keep it 50. Cross streets like Guelph be 40. Then have Dorchester, Yale Harvard at 30.

Is that really a big deal??

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:34 PM

I like the idea of 30 for residential and 40 for the busier collector streets (or whatever you want to call it) like Grosvenor. 30 feels a bit slow, but that's the point. And I see people speeding down these streets going 50-60 all the time, it's dangerous.

Hell there's some busier collector roads that I think should be slower. 50 feels way too fast going down Corydon in Little Italy. The road is so narrow (lots of people in and out of parked cars), there's lots of pedestrians (young and old), curbside patios, and cyclists crossing. While lots of people naturally go a bit slower, many still speed by at 50 even though visibility can be poor. IMO Corydon should be 40 from Confusion Corner to Stafford. Ditto busy commercial pedestrian areas like Academy, and Grosvenor Square.

Quote:
That's what I mean though. Grosvenor is one of the main streets. Keep it 50. Cross streets like Guelph be 40. Then have Dorchester, Yale Harvard at 30.

Is that really a big deal??
Grosvenor is not a high traffic busy road like Corydon or Grant, it's much more residential. It is also a (unprotected) bike route with a lot of schools on it. Make it 40. There's lots of traffic circles and lights on it anyway, you need to floor it in most places to get up to 50, no need for that.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:42 PM

I guess my point is, whatever the solution is, be it 30 or 40, there is definitely room to implement something. If the reason for leaving everything 50 is just because that's how its always been. That's not really an answer.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
I guess my point is, whatever the solution is, be it 30 or 40, there is definitely room to implement something. If the reason for leaving everything 50 is just because that's how its always been. That's not really an answer.
Yeah, and this should be about safety, not cost. If cost were the determining factor in all this, we wouldn't be building an interchange at St. Mary's and the Perimeter.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:49 PM

I welcome lower speed limits. I live on a small residential only crescent that no one would drive on unless they are specifically going to a house on it. There is really no need for anyone to be going over 30. Although enforcement is another question... some of my neighbours have exotic, high end cars that they annoyingly rip down the street with at 60 or 70 for a couple hundred metres before reaching the stop sign... I guess there is an element of driving culture at play as well.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of 30 for residential and 40 for the busier collector streets (or whatever you want to call it) like Grosvenor. 30 feels a bit slow, but that's the point. And I see people speeding down these streets going 50-60 all the time, it's dangerous.

Hell there's some busier collector roads that I think should be slower. 50 feels way too fast going down Corydon in Little Italy. The road is so narrow (lots of people in and out of parked cars), there's lots of pedestrians (young and old), curbside patios, and cyclists crossing. While lots of people naturally go a bit slower, many still speed by at 50 even though visibility can be poor. IMO Corydon should be 40 from Confusion Corner to Stafford. Ditto busy commercial pedestrian areas like Academy, and Grosvenor Square.

Grosvenor is not a high traffic busy road like Corydon or Grant, it's much more residential. It is also a (unprotected) bike route with a lot of schools on it. Make it 40. There's lots of traffic circles and lights on it anyway, you need to floor it in most places to get up to 50, no need for that.
I take grosvenor every day instead of corydon, because of the left turners on corydon. It's marginally slower, but much more reliable. I could agree with 40 on it though. I have seen a lot of user conflict on that road. The visibility from side streets is awful on account of the trees.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 5:54 PM

The City had mentioned a blanket 30 km/h limit. So maybe that's what is getting everyone in an uproar. Which I'd agree with. I think there is a pilot program being proposed. I'll see if they have any docs available.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:00 PM

Lots to read through here and the 3 appendices.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...00707(RM)PW-13

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan