HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:57 PM

And they don't even know what rye toast is. Whatever they serve is not rye. And what the hell is buttermilk sauce?! keep piling on haha

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:31 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Another difference in the US is that most Or many places that serve coffee don’t have the option of Milk, only cream. McDonalds, cinnebon, convenience stores and the like.
Well in that regard, they are correct.

Milk belongs on cereal. Cream goes in coffee.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And they don't even know what rye toast is. Whatever they serve is not rye.
This is the reaction of Winnipeggers whenever they eat rye bread anywhere that's not Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Well in that regard, they are correct.

Milk belongs on cereal. Cream goes in coffee.
If you don’t mind masking the coffee flavour than cream is a good choice.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:20 PM

Coffee should always be black. No cream, milk or sugar.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Coffee should always be black. No cream, milk or sugar.
What if someone tells me coffee should always have cream and sugar in it? Who do I listen to???

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
This is the reaction of Winnipeggers whenever they eat rye bread anywhere that's not Winnipeg.
Few people, outside of Western Canadians, really understand, or like, Winnipeg style light rye bread.

Gunn's make a pretty good American style (dark) rye with caraway seeds.

But yeah, when traveling outside of Winnipeg, rye toast is going to be dark American style rye bread. Not a bad thing, just different.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:31 PM

haha yes, yes.. I never order rye bread anywhere else. I'm not sure how one could not like the Canadian rye. Pretty similar to a white or whole wheat bread. To each their own.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:12 PM

^^^Definitely me.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 1:53 PM

Quote:
haha yes, yes.. I never order rye bread anywhere else. I'm not sure how one could not like the Canadian rye. Pretty similar to a white or whole wheat bread. To each their own.
Well, that's the thing, it's barely different from white or whole wheat, what's even the point? Coming from outside of Winnipeg, I knew rye as a dark, tangy, sour bread, not this bland inoffensive stuff. (Sorry please don't run me out of town, I still happily eat it )

Calling it "Canadian rye" is a bit of a stretch; maybe Western Canada at most, but Winnipeg is the epicenter. They do make it at the Sobeys in my hometown in Newfoundland now -- labelled as "Winnipeg Rye"!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:51 PM

^when I lived in Vancouver in the late 90s / early 2000s there was a bakery in Coquitlam called “Winnipeg Rye Bread Company” and of course Safeway sold their own Winnipeg style rye. It’s really a Winnipeg thing.

If you’re not from Winnipeg, be aware not all Winnipeg rye bread is created equal. In my opinion, City Rye is the best for toasting. Crisps up perfectly to a nice texture. Natural Rye is better texture for eating untoasted, I don’t care for it toasted. KUB is somewhere in between the two, and is often found at midnight “lunches” served at socials with deli meats and Bothwell cheese cubes.

Don’t even bother with that crap shipped in from Calgary at Superstore (Deli World, I think).

Also, Gunns makes a good light Winnipeg style rye comparable to City Bread.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 3:16 PM

I think it slipped through the cracks here but the new Toad is open.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:32 PM

Re Tap to Pay and USA it is actually a lot more common than people here are letting on. The key is asking if they do "Apple Pay". Odds are if they have Apple Pay it will also support Visa and Mastercard tap to pay. Support for Canadian debit cards is a hot mess though as it depends on the issuing bank, what networks in supports, etc. It is basically a coin toss on if it will work or not.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Re Tap to Pay and USA it is actually a lot more common than people here are letting on. The key is asking if they do "Apple Pay". Odds are if they have Apple Pay it will also support Visa and Mastercard tap to pay. Support for Canadian debit cards is a hot mess though as it depends on the issuing bank, what networks in supports, etc. It is basically a coin toss on if it will work or not.
I am unfamiliar with Apple pay because I have no Apple products. Is that where you scan your phone and the money is deducted from an Apple account?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I am unfamiliar with Apple pay because I have no Apple products. Is that where you scan your phone and the money is deducted from an Apple account?
You assign a credit card to your Apple Pay then you tap your phone. No different than tapping a credit card really only it requires your phone authentication (thumb print or Face ID) so slightly more secure. I think you can have it on Apple Watch as well so you would just tap your watch. In that case no security but I believe when your remove your watch from your wrist it requires a password to work again (so theft of the watch would render the Apple Pay non working)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:23 PM

What's even the point of Winnipeg Rye bread? WHAT'S THE POINT?! HUUULK SMASH. haha kidding aside, It's pretty much all I buy. We'll buy regular white bread for sandwiches sometimes. Otherwise it's the rye. Again just like anything else. What's the point in anything?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:04 AM

Mr Mikes on Kenaston has closed permanently.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:59 AM

Chicken Chef on Portage Ave. and Langside has a FOR LEASE sign in the window. That didnt last long!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:46 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
What's even the point of Winnipeg Rye bread? WHAT'S THE POINT?! HUUULK SMASH. haha kidding aside, It's pretty much all I buy. We'll buy regular white bread for sandwiches sometimes. Otherwise it's the rye. Again just like anything else. What's the point in anything?

I would seriously like the OPTION of choosing "dark rye" or "light rye". If you wanna buy "Winnipeg light rye bread" you should be able to do so easily. But let us shoppers who prefer the darker variety have that CHOICE.

It's that simple.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:26 AM

Noticed the Lot 88 Steak House on Pembina HWY has added signage for Overtime Bar & Grill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan