HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:38 AM

I have to give credit to the city for the new Engage Winnipeg platform where you can give feedback on certain programs. I asked a question on there about the new soil program and got a very thorough response within 48 hours, see below.

The first paragraph was my question, response after that.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The Disraeli encampment puts them close to three free square meals a day, if you are content to stay non-productive and a sponge off society and then spend any welfare assistance you may receive on drugs or alcohol Then there is a huge problem of maybe making it too easy for deadbeats and bums!
it's such an honour to have our premier here on this forum

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
it's such an honour to have our premier here on this forum
Thanks Wab, beat up any women or hurl any racial slurs against any visible minorities lately?

Plenty of room on the Kapyong land for a homeless community, that is if a First Nation’s really cared about looking after their own!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:07 AM

So there was a fire at one of the camps today. Didnt read the article as to the cause. But it happened just before the camp was to be torn down.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:23 PM
What could go wrong?

I heard yesterday that the Hotel Fort Garry is close to changing hands. Things were close before the shutdown happened and now have been delayed. The owners are apparently from Montreal.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:28 PM

Is Raymond Malenfant coming back?!?!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So there was a fire at one of the camps today. Didnt read the article as to the cause. But it happened just before the camp was to be torn down.
The Fire department partnered with a number of agencies to advise the campers they have till Friday to pack up. The agencies were to provide housing options (shelters) and also purchased storage containers for them. Meanwhile, one guy started a fire that had to be put out and then another fire was lit too. And then some bleeding hearts started a protest in front of City Hall calling them evil for doing this.

Like c'mon it's a safety issue & a securoty issue and the City didnt come in there with bulldozers. They came in wanting to help them.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Maybe the people who protested could offer their front yards for some of these encampment people to pitch their tents.

In the papers, they interviewed a couple of the tentee's and they made it clear they didn't want anything to do with the Salvation Army or the Main Street Project. They wanted to "be with who they wanted to be with and consume cannabis"...article has been removed from WFP.

"We're not homeless, we don't consider ourselves homeless. We build tiny homes out of people's trash, we build little communities," said one resident, Desirae Whitehead.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...571172382.html
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Maybe the people who protested could offer their front yards for some of these encampment people to pitch their tents.

In the papers, they interviewed a couple of the tentee's and they made it clear they didn't want anything to do with the Salvation Army or the Main Street Project. They wanted to "be with who they wanted to be with and consume cannabis"...article has been removed from WFP.

"We're not homeless, we don't consider ourselves homeless. We build tiny homes out of people's trash, we build little communities," said one resident, Desirae Whitehead.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...571172382.html
Well I'd never hire them to build a home, workmanship is just substandard and they never take out permits!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:25 AM

The BBC visited Winnipeg:

Video Link

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:33 PM

^ Cool...thanks for sharing that!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:50 PM

That BBC Railway episode was very interesting (a little cheesy, but not overly) and a positive look at Winnipeg from an outsider. Thanks for that.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:57 PM

^Enjoyed that.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 2:51 AM

https://reimagineelmwood.org/

Quote:
A Happier Henderson Hwy

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Henderson Hwy?

Is it a place you like to walk, bike or wait for the bus on? Walk your dog on? Bring your kids to?

Does it feel comfortable and safe? Does it feel inviting – like a special part of our neighbourhood where you want to linger?

If you think Henderson Hwy could be a happier place for our residents and local businesses, you won’t want to miss this event!

During neighbourhood consultations for the renewal of the Chalmers 5-year Neighbourhood Plan last year, the community spoke loud and clear about the need to improve ways of getting around the neighbourhood, especially for those on foot, bike, cane, wheelchair and with a stroller!

So we’re doing a one-day temporary pop-up to test some options out on Henderson Hwy, between Noble Ave and Hart Ave!

The goal is to do something quick, inexpensive and temporary to:

Get the community excited about possibilities;
Try out options to see what kinds of things are helpful, and which aren’t;
Build capacity in the community to repeat, improve and expand on ideas!

We want to hear from you about improving Henderson Hwy!

What will the July 25th pop-up look like?

Come and check out the pop-up exposition in person on July 25th from noon to 8pm (physical distancing measures will be in effect), then let us know what you like and what you don’t like about it in the survey below!

If you don’t get the chance to check out the pop-up on July 25th, you can still provide feedback anytime until August 15th. Simply check out the drawing above of Henderson Hwy reimagined with benches, a bike path and more before filling out the survey.

Your feedback is valuable to us!

What about traffic?

The main focus of this project is about making improvements to our neighbourhood for the people who live here, and the businesses that operate here. That said, the reimagined street design still provides an even higher capacity for moving people than the current layout!

Based on National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) data:

A car-only lane moves 600-1,600 people per hour (currently, we have 4 of these)
A mixed car and bus lane moves 1,000-2,800 people per hour (currently, we have 2 of these)

That’s a total of 4,400-12,000 people per hour currently.

Reimagined layout:

2 car-only lanes (600-1,600 people per hour)
2 dedicated transit lanes (4,000-8,000 people per hour)
1 two-way protected bike lane (7,500 people per hour)
1 dedicated parking lane (moves 0 people per hour, obviously)

That’s a total capacity of 16,700-26,700 people per hour in the new layout.

Plus it’s a lot safer and friendlier for people on foot, bike and transit, and better for businesses!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 8:35 PM

So I went to Kil-Cona Park and Harbourview Golf Course for the first time in my life today. (NE Winnipeg and Transcona are basically terra incognita to me, which is why I've never been before.)

I was really impressed with the place in terms of what it has to offer. For a park from the early 80s, it is very forward thinking in terms of the wide range recreational activities on offer. The golf course is interesting and has something for everyone despite its par 3 length.

What did catch me off guard was the dilapidated state of nearly everything. The nice buildings by the ponds look like they are crumbling, the roads are falling apart, just about everything looks like there has been little if any maintenance.

It was kind of sad because the park looks like it has such tremendous potential. But it mostly looks abandoned, even though it clearly isn't. It's a far cry from the other relatively well kept regional parks like Kildonan, Assiniboine and St. Vital. Hopefully it gets a little love some day.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 9:12 PM

There was an RFP in 2019 I believe to have an updated plain to rehab the structures

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There was an RFP in 2019 I believe to have an updated plain to rehab the structures
That's good news... the place clearly needs a lot of work. It still draws a crowd even in its present run down state, so the demand is there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 2:51 PM

Being from that area, I frequent Kilcona Park quite regularly. Mostly Harbour View Golf course.

Specifically the harbour front is in complete disrepair. I'm not sure what the scope of that RFP is. But that entire building with the restaurant, pro shop, lookout tower and whatever else is in there (??) needs a complete overhaul. Or at least a re-think of what they're doing in there. Growing up we would go on field trips there both summer and winter. Play broomball on the ice in winter. It was in good shape back then.

Besides that the golf course is great for a par 3. Provides a couple challenging holes with water around. I learned to golf there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:01 PM

^ Like I said, I've never been to Harbor View... I've seen pictures and it always looked nice. So when I got there I was shocked at the dilapidated state of everything. The playground, which looked fairly new, was the only thing that wasn't run down. The pro shop and restaurant buildings were in terrible shape. Kind of embarrassing frankly that a municipal government-operated facility which was obviously built to high standards would be in such poor condition.

I will say, I liked the golf course... I took my kid there for a round and it was interesting and varied while still being manageable for a novice. Definitely more appealing than Crescent Drive which we've spent a fair bit of time at over the summer. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is that it's pretty cramped with fairways crammed up against each other... it's odd considering how massive the rest of the park is. It's too bad they didn't add an acre or two to the golf course and space things out a little more.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:28 PM

I'm pretty sure there was an original plan to have another 9 holes on the other side of the big lake. But maybe I'm just dreaming that up. If you look at the air photo, the island and such even looks like it's shaped similarly to the rest of the course.

Otherwise ya it's kind of in one corner along Knowles Ave.

I haven't been in a couple years. So not sure whats all been completed. But I feel like there have been a few attempts at master plan changes and such.

https://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/PublicEn...stm#tab-engage
This link has some upgrades to the eastern area.

There was something going on through the rest of the park, including on top of the old landfill. New paths, upgrades, whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan