HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Knowing the ineptitude of our city traffic planning dept they likely are rebuilding it as 2 lanes without paved shoulders, dedicated turn lanes. 2 inch skim coat of asphalt that will be destroyed by all the heavy truck traffic within a year.

Planning and vision would see it built as four lanes wide with diverged left turn lanes and right turn lanes to open up drivers sight lines and paved shoulders. Heavy load engineered with extra base and even concrete in areas where trucks would ruin the roadbed. Let's hope so....
We know it's not 4 lanes and never was going to be. The section rebuilt last year east of Victoria is 2 lanes with bike lanes. There was a left turn lane onto VMP from the eastbound side and maybe a right from the westbound, I don't recall. I imagine the westbound side will also have a left into Maple Leaf at Commerce, and likely a set of lights there. Probably no turn lanes either direction on to Cheese Factory, but with only Parts Canada and the Free Press there, turn lanes aren't really needed. Although with the road being 3 lanes wide just west of Commerce, I could see the 3 lanes being extended east to Cheese Factory and providing a turn into Fedex and to Cheese Factory.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:32 PM
User Registered

I'd like to see a new bridge over the 401 one day to connect Exeter and Wilton Grove together.

Would relieve some traffic on Wellington too.

While you're at it, maybe even stick in a ramp to 401 EB. That would compliment the WB only exit to Exeter and relieve both the Highbury and Wellington interchanges.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I'd like to see a new bridge over the 401 one day to connect Exeter and Wilton Grove together.

Would relieve some traffic on Wellington too.

While you're at it, maybe even stick in a ramp to 401 EB. That would compliment the WB only exit to Exeter and relieve both the Highbury and Wellington interchanges.
I remember years ago I would be sitting at the light at Exeter and Bessemer waiting to turn left after just coming around from Wilton Grove and thinking that exact same thing lol. As for places for a new ramp, I would love there to be a ramp into and out of the industrial park east of Highbury. Either Commerce or Cheese Factory Rd. I imagine Commerce is too close to the Highbury ramp for a safe exit, but Cheese Factory is far enough down.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:55 PM

could not agree more

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:48 PM

Any 12 year old playing SimCity could see that and design a better road network. +1 to those improvements.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 6:46 PM

To add to the fun, King St will be closing starting Monday for the rest of the summer at Richmond for sewer separation. King St will be 2 way between Talbot and Richmond (basically to allow traffic to come out of Market Lane and Market parking to go west), as well as 2 way between Clarence and Richmond.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:53 PM

Lower speed limits coming to various areas of the city. This Friday, Dundas Place (Ridout to Wellington) will be 30kmh. Other areas including the larger downtown area, a good chunk of Byron, Hyde Park and Summerside areas will be going to 40 later this year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7153291/l...zkVaQLyjmMl92o

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Great news for residential districts, so long as the limits are enforced. I come from Montreal where the limit in most residential zones is 35km. Where I live (Hyde Park), assholes regularly plow through with their prickup trucks/audis at 65-70kms. Navigating the many roundabouts as a pedestrian is a game of pinball.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:23 PM

What is the status of the new traffic light management system installation?

https://www.london.ca/newsroom/Pages...ic-System.aspx

Any signs that this has even been tendered yet?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 7:24 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:46 AM

Noticed that the city is rebuilding the island medians at Highbury and Fanshawe. These were built a number of years ago when the widening was done using blocks as retaining walls for the planters. They are now being rebuilt with poured concrete. Hopefully they have learned from this in the future to only build these planters using poured concrete.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 8:05 PM

The Wilton Grove/Exeter bridge is a much needed improvement and would make the industrial area south of the 401 far more accessible.

Bringin the speed limit on Dundas Place is an excellent idea. The city put a lot of thought and money into the project to help Dundas restore the fun and vibrant reputation it had decades ago and hence should not be used as an express route.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:43 AM

Took a spin around the Road Closed signs on Wilton Grove this evening. Not sure what they are waiting for. They need to put one more layer of asphalt from just east of Cheese Factory west to Commerce, but they have painted a temporary yellow line on that stretch, so I wonder if they waiting to finish paving after the bulk of Maple Leaf construction is done. There is a pretty substantial roadway entrance to Maple Leaf being built east of Cheese Factory and then east of that, the top coat and full lines are done. Interesting that while there are road closed signs and a few barrels across the road at Commerce, there is nothing stopping westbound traffic from Veterans from coming all the way down this stretch.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:50 AM

Construction at Hamilton, Egerton and Trafalgar has shifted over to Hamilton now open through the intersection and Trafalgar now closed. Egerton also remains closed north of the intersection but is now open south. A big improvement is the addition of a left turn lane on westbound Hamilton to go south on Egerton

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 7:57 PM

Here is an interesting blog on the proposed improvements to Glendon Dr from the 402 to the Thames river bridge.

https://vote.dereksilva.ca/2018/09/w...glendon-drive/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Here is an interesting blog on the proposed improvements to Glendon Dr from the 402 to the Thames river bridge.

https://vote.dereksilva.ca/2018/09/w...glendon-drive/
I could swear we briefly talked about this before, but I can't find it. The roundabout at the five corners is interesting. So they are going to close off Coldstream Rd from that intersection but re-route it to the west after it comes out from under the railway bridge and join it with Springfield Way, which is the next intersection to the west and will have lights. Be interesting to see what type of development happens on the north side of Glendon with that road running through there.

The reconfiguration of the intersection of Old River Rd was opposed by the councillor who wrote that blog. The land to the west of that intersection does drop off quite a bit, it's not going to be a simple realignment. Not sure what the purpose of this is, considering it's a quiet little road. At least it won't have a set of lights.

So near as I can tell, they are converting the 2 existing lighted intersections to roundabouts, and then adding 4 more lighted intersections at Kilworth Park Drive at the current plaza, the new Coldstream/Springfield intersection, the new subdivision entrance, and the arena.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:42 PM

I don't think the county has made any progress on budgeting for any of these phases as of yet. The rail bridge and realignment is going to be a challenge as I suspect the rail company has no interest in spending any money on replacing a bridge that serves their purposes and is in no state of disrepair. It would be entirely on the municipality to replace the rail bridge. And that is big dollars which they don't have. There was no mention of rebuild west of 402 towards Mt Bridges which should also be widened to 4 lanes. This corridor is going to continue to see intensive development and population growth for many years to come.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:46 PM

I don't think they are actually doing anything with the rail bridge. Just putting a new roadway to the west on the south side of the tracks to run Coldstream Rd over to the intersection with Springfield Way. Hopefully whatever alignment they do gives better visibility for going under that bridge though, as it is a single lane and blind with how the road turns there. I don't know whether this project is going to increase or decrease potential traffic right there, but that might depend on what is built between the tracks and Glendon.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:51 PM
User Registered

So most of the roads downtown are posted at 40 now, Dundas is 30

I think the light timing needs to be adjusted however.

If I go exactly 50 I can hit every single green light on Queens from Adelaide to Wharncliffe.

That would be considered speeding now.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 2:22 AM

The city has finally got work on the intersection lights for Beaverbrook and Riverside Dr started. Only 20 years late.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure