HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 4:50 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Haha, certainly not that! I almost felt the opposite this weekend, it seems like there is more road construction activity in the Edmonton region than Calgary.

Also, this winter was hard on Calgary roads but holy crap Edmonton's may be worse. Was up there this weekend and hard to believe as it it, you guys might actually have more potholes than we do.
I always thought we had more potholes, given our freeze-thaw cycles are harsher due to our colder winter temps and typically deeper snowpack on the roads.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 4:55 PM
Community Guy

About time. I recall going to consultations back in 05-07.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:44 PM
Community Guy

Why not from the Whitemud to AHD?

This unlocks Rabbit Hill to AHD, but then bottlenecks still at 40th.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Why not from the Whitemud to AHD?

This unlocks Rabbit Hill to AHD, but then bottlenecks still at 40th.
It is, the city funded the north portion and province funded the south.

Still, 4 lanes NB will bottleneck at Whitemud, I don't know why the city can't see that.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:37 PM
Change is good

Horrible stop gap measure that will end up costing tax payers more in the long run.

Bite the bullet and start building the interchanges as was the original plan.

I still cant figure out why a bus lane is required, there may be 5 buses an hour at peak hours? Theres no bus stops along terwillegar either

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 7:44 PM

key takeaway:

Quote:
The provincial funding allows the city to expand Terwillegar Drive south from Rabbit Hill Road across the Anthony Henday, and build a second overpass across the Henday to Windermere Boulevard.
This will help the area so much. Right now the current diamond interchange at Terwillegar is beyond capacity most of the day. Most of the turning movements take several cycles and by extension, the through traffic along Terwillegar over Henday was suffering.

A simple split diamond interchange will help with capacity. And if you look at the satellite imagery for the area, some of it is already graded for such a configuration.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:20 PM
Derp

It seems as though that is being worked on right now in addition to the widening of the Henday at Terwillegar Drive. They've definitely started grading the approaches for that additional overpass

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Horrible stop gap measure that will end up costing tax payers more in the long run.

Bite the bullet and start building the interchanges as was the original plan.

I still cant figure out why a bus lane is required, there may be 5 buses an hour at peak hours? Theres no bus stops along terwillegar either
Because the future isn't in the private automobile.

Friendo.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
key takeaway:

This will help the area so much. Right now the current diamond interchange at Terwillegar is beyond capacity most of the day. Most of the turning movements take several cycles and by extension, the through traffic along Terwillegar over Henday was suffering.

A simple split diamond interchange will help with capacity. And if you look at the satellite imagery for the area, some of it is already graded for such a configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
It seems as though that is being worked on right now in addition to the widening of the Henday at Terwillegar Drive. They've definitely started grading the approaches for that additional overpass
I don't think that is where the second bridge will go. They've completely removed the berm on the northside of the Henday.

This was the plan from 2011:

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:52 PM
Derp

I'd much rather see that than the diamond interchange, eliminates all the traffic lights too

Hopefully that's still the plan!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:44 PM

A full on system interchange sure is nice but man the maintenance...1 bridge structure balloons to 11 in the ultimate build-out. Not sure if there are various stages in between before we get to the ultimate build.

Also the westbound Henday traffic cannot use Terwilleger to access Windemere blvd. So you'll be forcing traffic to exit earlier at rabbit hill road to access the shopping plaza. What's the point of the added capacity if you're excluding a destination for traffic.

That basket weave in the SW corner of the interchange could use a bit more planning.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I always thought we had more potholes, given our freeze-thaw cycles are harsher due to our colder winter temps and typically deeper snowpack on the roads.
Also due to the type of clay we have here which is somewhat spongy and exacerbates the effects of the freeze/thaw cycle

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

Also the westbound Henday traffic cannot use Terwilleger to access Windemere blvd..
It looks like WB AHD can access SB Terwillegar. Look at the portion of road closest to R70/A95.

I’m very happy that this will be going ahead regardless of the pinch points at 40 Ave and probably at Windermere Blvd/Terwillegar.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:35 PM

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-ec14947efd8f/

What the headline says, pretty much. The optics of the UCP yanking funding from the project only to reinstate it 6 months later with trumpets and fanfare leave a bad taste, as does the repeated emphasis on the southwest, i.e. the only Edmonton riding that voted blue.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:13 PM

Why is the ultimate interchange full on with flyovers?
How many vehicles is Tewilleger Drive planned to carry in the future?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:21 PM
Community Guy

Will it not continue south and be part of the James Mowatt pairing as our two main freeways south?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Will it not continue south and be part of the James Mowatt pairing as our two main freeways south?
Freeway to where? It's not very far from Calgary Trail.

There isn't any other suburb serviced by a full on freeway that I can think of. Seems like a ton of overkill.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:52 PM
Community Guy

We will need high capacity roadways south to 41 Ave SW and then eventually to Hwy 19/YEG. Terwillegar is actually 170st, so expect that sort of size/cap all of the way south.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
It looks like WB AHD can access SB Terwillegar. Look at the portion of road closest to R70/A95.

I’m very happy that this will be going ahead regardless of the pinch points at 40 Ave and probably at Windermere Blvd/Terwillegar.
WBAHD can access SB Terwillegar yes. but that traffic cannot access Windermere blvd. so if you're on the henday and want to access windermere blvd, you have to get off at rabbit hill road

Anyhow, I don't think this is what will be built using the latest funding. not enough money for all that work.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Freeway to where? It's not very far from Calgary Trail.

There isn't any other suburb serviced by a full on freeway that I can think of. Seems like a ton of overkill.
South past the airport and Leduc. There are multiple highways into the city from the north, west and east but really only one from the south.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton