HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 10:53 PM

NDP government ends former premier Campbell's electricity self-sufficiency policy

Somehow I can't see this playing out quietly...

Quote:
The NDP government is moving to scrap the province’s legislated requirement that B.C. remain self-sufficient in electricity supply, a centrepiece of the previous government’s green-energy policy.

Government, in its legislative agenda for this session, tabled amendments to the Clean Energy Act, which include stripping out the legislation’s definition of energy self-sufficiency.

Energy and Mines Minister Bruce Ralston characterized it as a public-policy shift away from a measure that the NDP disagreed with when put in place in 2010, which simply gives B.C. Hydro some leeway in preparing its next major demand estimate.

“Eliminating it will enable Hydro, give it a bit more flexibility to purchase clean energy at the most affordable prices from within and without the province,” Ralston said.

Independent power producers, however, which saw significant growth of their sector while the policy was in force, worry that the measure simply shuts them out of future development just as the province is promoting the electrification of industry under its Clean B.C. plan.

Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:24 PM

If they can convincingly make a case that the BC Liberal policy was driving up everyone's hydro bills, I can't see the electorate caring about abolishing it.

It was always a bit hypocrtical to claim we needed to be self-sufficient in energy, when a good portion of our exports are energy products to areas that aren't.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 12:45 AM

I'd hazard this is covert way to guarantee no more dams get built. At least until the next time legislation is changed, that is.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 4:35 AM

Oh there's more in that article. Basically "Clean Energy B.C., the industry group that represents independent power producers" is having a conniption over this.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Oh there's more in that article. Basically "Clean Energy B.C., the industry group that represents independent power producers" is having a conniption over this.
TBH, I'm not up on all the nuances, but wasn't part of the prior program objectives to have a bunch of small projects, run-of-river or other some such name, that would reduce the need for bigger projects? Is that what Clean Energy BC represents?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If they can convincingly make a case that the BC Liberal policy was driving up everyone's hydro bills, I can't see the electorate caring about abolishing it.

It was always a bit hypocrtical to claim we needed to be self-sufficient in energy, when a good portion of our exports are energy products to areas that aren't.
It's a questionable policy.

The most logical reason I can see that the BC Libs would have done this is so BC Hydro is forced to buy from small private producers in BC. Which may or may not be BC Liberal donors.

Regardless, the net result is higher power prices, per basic economics.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 6:13 PM

I can see the argument for ensuring electricity self-sufficiency, we don't want a situation like California in 2000 (which we may or may not have exasperated). If the BC climate becomes dryer, would we be prepared for reduced hydroelectricity power output? However, with the ensured completion of Site C, I can't see that happening in the near future whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yeah, the "energy-self sufficiency" thing seemed to be a thing to lock BC hydro to buy power at high prices at times we didn't need it ( run-of-river dams in the spring), only to resell it at a loss, leaving rate payers to make up the difference.

Certainly less need for IPP power with site C.

Quote:
the report says the contracts will cost the average residential BC Hydro customer about $4,000 over the next 20 years, or about $200 per year.

In a statement, Mungall said the contracts have already cost customers $3.2 billion.

"A small number of well-placed independent power producers benefited, and customers were stuck with a 40-year payment plan," she wrote.

Davidson wrote that BC Hydro began purchasing small amounts of power from IPPs in the mid-1980s, and that the B.C. Liberal's policy that the utility be self-sufficient led the utility to buy power that it did not need.

The report said the power BC Hydro was forced to purchase from IPPs was, for the most part, the wrong type of power.

For example, it says that of 105 contracts with IPPs since 2002, 71 were from run-of-river projects, most of which can only be relied on during the spring.

It said BC Hydro does not need more power during that time of the year, when the demand is low, and there is an abundance of water available in BC Hydro's reservoirs.

The report makes a number of recommendations, including ensuring prices reflect real market value, restoring the oversight of the BC Utilities Commission, and improving transparency on the cost of energy procurement.

It also recommends eliminating BC Hydro's self-sufficiency mandate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ions-1.5018869

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics