HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:42 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
WHAT is that skywalk? That's going to destroy the look of the facade of the Rose street market building. Is it connecting to a parking garage? Why on earth would they allow that? Can people not walk on the sidewalk for 30 seconds?
Yes, there was a deal a while back wherein the city transferred the ownership of the Arcadia Parking Ramp on the east side of Rose St to the developer for $3 million so that they could use it for hotel parking. The ramp was reportedly under-utilized. It was a sweet deal for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
deja vu, do you have any recent update photos on the downtown projects?
It has been a while since a comprehensive update. That's mostly due to COVID-19 and protests (which have subsided) locking things down. The urge has been growing though. Construction is still progressing on the major projects - Catalyst / 180 E Water St, The Hilton Hotels, The Creamery, Advia Credit Union... There has been a good amount of smaller projects too, both downtown and in the surrounding areas. I'll go out soon and get some shots...it's supposed to get slightly cooler this weekend.

Of particular note, there is now a construction fence and job trailer along with some heavy equipment stationed on the site of the future county court house downtown. That is scheduled to begin construction this month, and it seems like despite everything, it will in fact hit that milestone.

In the meantime, I did at least get a fairly recent shot of the new WMU student housing project - Arcadia Flats. Hopefully they will have students to fill it with, come fall semester This is from a July 2 drive-by. The exterior of the building is nearly complete.

In sadder news, four historic residential structures in Kalamazoo's Northside neighborhood were destroyed by fire in June, when the city was under curfew and the protests were happening. While the cause of the fire is officially "undetermined with human involvement" it is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was arson.

The fire started at 912 / 914 W North St., an abandoned, 3-story building. It quickly spread to the houses immediately to the east (902 W North St) and west (918 / 920 W North St), as well as a 2-story masonry structure behind it, to the north. Three of the four structures were uninhabited, and one was in the process of being converted into affordable housing. A long-term resident in 918 / 920 was able to escape only with her life.

A city official told me that these structures shared a central heating system via underground tunnels at one time. This may or may not have been a contributing factor as to why all of the properties were consumed so quickly.

These aerial images of the aftermath were provided by Kalamazoo public safety. You can see the total destruction of the central structure - it looks as if a bomb was dropped on it.

More info / images source:

Quote:
Report: Cause of large Kzoo fire undetermined
July 1, 2020
Nick Ponton | WoodTV8

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — The cause of a fire that destroyed several homes in Kalamazoo’s Northside neighborhood in June may never be known.

News 8 obtained the incident report Wednesday morning via a Freedom of Information Act request.

In that report, Kalamazoo Fire Marshal Scott Brooks wrote in that the house was “completely consumed and was in the final stages of the building falling down” when he arrived on the scene...
I drove by a few days ago and took some quick photos. The remains of all four structures were demolished into the ground with 24 hours of the fire being put out. Now there are just some large debris piles and a perimeter fence.

Fortunately, these historic homes were at least well-documented by the city and many others, since they were located in a historic district. I took some photos myself, on a walk in December.

Here's 912 / 914 W North St - the center structure where the fire reportedly started:

This is 902 W North St, located to the east of the the previous. You can also glimpse the structure behind 912 / 914, a 2-story masonry building that appears to have been multi-family housing at one point. Both of these were too damaged by fire to be saved:

Here's 918 / 920, which was the only structure that was occupied. It was also significantly damaged by fire and then demolished:

If there is one piece of good news about all of this, it is that 836 W North St survived unscathed. This Victorian beauty is one of my favorites in the city. It also sits vacant at the moment. The fact that it was separated by a street might have been it's saving grace.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:39 AM
somewhere in-between

Here are some Kalamazoo updates. I finally got out on Saturday to catch a lot of things. This is rather long, and rather than try to arrange these in a special order, they are just in the order that I came across them. A mix of driving and walking, and a mix of things big and small, suburban and urban.

Here's some viewing music if you want (that's still a thing, right?)
Video Link

King-Westwood Elementary School Addition and Remodel -

Consumers Credit Union Branch - this was a fast new build on the northwest corner of Drake and West Main. An older bank branch was demolished to make way for this. The branch functioned out of a mobile trailer in an adjacent parking lot while this went up. Looks like it is just about ready to open -

In contrast, across the street on the NE corner of Drake and West Main is the site of the slowest-moving project in town, a new Chick-fil-A (only the region's 2nd) -

Bronson Methodist has a lot of things going on around town, including no less than six new Primary Care medical buildings. This is the one on West Main, in Oshtemo Township. All six were scheduled to open at the start of July, requiring a rather coordinated move of 60+ physicians that ended their contract with Ascension Borgess (the other big hospital in town) recently -

There is a new drive that connects over to the new Advia Credit Union Headquarters, also under construction -

Though in a suburban location, the Advia CU building is quite massive -

And the adjacent stormwater retention pond taking shape is also quite immense, in its own way. It rained hard yesterday, so we got to see it pretty full today -

I'm glad to see so much masonry on the building -

South on Drake, past Stadium Drive, Western Michigan University now has most of the infrastructure and landscaping in place for its Business Technology and Research Park Phase 2 Expansion. Here's a site plan and some photos - no buildings yet, except for an open-air pavilion structure -

Source: WMU

Heading up Stadium Drive now, towards WMU. It's hard to get a good shot driving by, but there is a new Honor Credit Union Branch that was formerly a Bob Evans. It is quite the transformation and will open this fall -

Here's some renderings, since I couldn't get a good shot -

Source: Honor Credit Union

Further up Stadium, Lume, the city's first Recreational Marijuana Dispensary, is open. I read that Lume is currently the largest, single-state marijuana dispensary company in the country. And they have some aggressive expansion plans.

WMU's Arcadia Flats -

And the new WMU Student Center, which is taking on greater presence -

Kalamazoo College's new Natatorium is a lot further along than I thought -

Downtown, Hilton Hotels -

Just west of here is where the new county justice facility will be built. The construction fencing is up, and there is a job trailer and excavator on site -

180 E Water St / Catalyst Development - exterior finishes are underway (and look sharp!) -

"The Creamery" -

Bronson Cancer Pavilion -

Bronson Generator Enclosure -

Bronson Surgical Suite Expansion (infill at main hospital) -

Bronson Labs (like I said, lots going on) -

400 Rose (now occupied) -

And finally, ending with something random, some sort of roof top work at the at&t downtown building -

Thanks for scrolling!

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 7, 2023 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:46 AM

Great update, thanks!

I can't say I'm a fan of that skybridge, either. Too bad they couldn't connect the new building to a garage or something.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:32 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Great update, thanks!

I can't say I'm a fan of that skybridge, either. Too bad they couldn't connect the new building to a garage or something.
I am optimistically withholding judgment until I see how it is finished. I am hoping that it has a lot of transparency so that the original, historic facade can still be understood as a whole.

And I am curious if the second skybridge depicted in the rendering that would extend south (above Eleanor St) and connect to to 245-251 N. Rose is still a part of the design. It sure seems like it. I have not found much public information on this, but the opening in the bottom center of the photo below seems to align with this plan for an additional skybridge.

I am wondering what this second bridge is really for. There is this empty grass lot, which could theoretically support a new parking ramp. But it really just looks like it is to connect to the existing office building located on the south side of Eleanor. The grassy lot is left untouched in the rendering. Or maybe there is a new, semi-open stairway that would connect to the existing pedestrian walkway along Arcadia Creek. So is it just a pedestrian connection above Eleanor (which is not a very busy street)?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:57 PM
somewhere in-between

Good morning (well, it's morning here right now).

An amendment to my previous post - the construction fence (and now demolition work) that I thought was for the new justice facility is actually a block west of this, and is for a parking lot that will serve the new facility. My neighbor, and this article, helped correct me. Newschannel 3 posted some video footage of the demo work that was commencing yesterday.

Quote:
Construction crews work on parking lot adjacent to new Kalamazoo County courthouse
Samantha May | WWMT / Newschannel 3
July 16, 2020

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Construction crews continued work on a space adjacent to the new county county courthouse building Thursday...On Thursday, July 16, 2020, crews were at the lot adjacent, constructing a new parking lot for the courthouse...They dug up and hauled away sidewalks and pavement to make way for the new lot.
Here's a screenshot of the video, credit to Newschannel 3 / WWMT photojournalist Jason Heeres.

I'm pretty disappointed that after all this time, they are just going with a surface lot, versus a parking deck in the center of the block with actual mixed-use programming / development encasing it, which I thought was the earlier plan. See exhibit A, below.

The current demo work for the alleged new parking lot is in the top right block of the four full squares below. The courthouse / justice facility would be in the block to the right of that (the block where the "RISE" logo is), in the zoomed-in view (also the block labeled (Site Under Consideration for Courthouse) in the first image.

So three possibilities:
  1. This will indeed become a surface lot, but will be temporary while development is determined.
  2. This will indeed become a surface lot, and will stay that way.
  3. WWMT didn't do a detailed fact check and / or used unclear wording, and this actually will be a parking deck.

My hope is that it's (3), but my fear is that it will be (1) or (2), and if it ends up being possibility (2), this will severely hamper one of the goals of developing the west end of downtown to create a tightly-knit, walk-able urban fabric to grow the small downtown. Instead, it will just be a slightly prettier, less dusty, more asphalt-y version of what's there right now.

I still struggle to find a lot of public information on this justice facility project, or its surrounding related developments. Which is surprising, considering how high-profile it will be.

In other news, KPS is on track to finish their new transportation center on Ravine Road by end of August. Whether or not it will be put to much use come school starting back up this Fall remains to be seen.

Source: WWMT / Newschannel 3 | Matt Miller

Lastly, I must mention that Buddy's Pizza opened in Portage on Monday, after a COVID-19 related delay. The building used to house "Old Chicago" another pizza chain with often mixed reviews that closed last year. This is the first Buddy's Original Detroit-Style pizza chain in southwest Michigan, and I think it will be a hit. I grew up with it, and jokingly say it is about the only thing that would make me want to move back to the east side of the state. Now I'll never have to.

Quote:
Buddy's Pizza officially opens in Portage
Samantah May | WWMT / Newschannel 3
July 13, 2020

PORTAGE, Mich. — Detroit-style pizza finally arrived in West Michigan on Monday. After Buddy's Pizza delayed its reopening due to an employee testing positive for COVID-19, the pizza company opened its Portage doors Monday, July 13, 2020 at 5314 S. Westnedge Ave...

Source: WWMT / Newschannel 3

My wife surprised me with Buddy's for dinner the day it opened on Monday, and all I can say is, watch out, Erbelli's!

(yes, that's pineapple, and I don't care if you object )

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 7, 2023 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:11 PM
somewhere in-between

Here are some Kalamazoo updates for Saturday, July 25, 2020 -

Bronson Labs

First, a recent article about the newly-opened, 55,000 SF / 3-story Bronson Labs facility, located at 400 John St. in downtown Kalamazoo.

Quote:
Bronson Healthcare relocates testing lab
Ehren Wynder | GRBJ
July 24, 2020

Bronson Healthcare’s main testing laboratory now has its own dedicated space across the street in a newly constructed building at 400 John St. in downtown Kalamazoo.

The testing lab previously operated on the Bronson Methodist Hospital North Campus. The full-service testing lab provides a broad array of clinical services to Bronson system hospitals, practices and outpatient clinics, as well as other providers and health care facilities throughout southwest Michigan. It processes orders received from lab draw sites but is not itself a site for patients to go to for specimen collection...
The article touches on some pretty impressive stats -
  • Modular / Flexible Design
  • Dedicated Education Space
  • 300+ Staff
  • 3.2 Million Orders / Year

The timing of this full-service facility could not be better, at least from the sense that it now allows for same-day turnaround of many COVID-19 tests in the region.

Here's a neat aerial view of the same project, recently shared by the Architect, TowerPinkster, on their Instagram page -

Stryker Instruments LEED Silver Certification

Speaking of Tower, they just announced on Instagram that the massive new Stryker Instruments facility in Portage (completed earlier this year) just achieved LEED Silver certification. TowerPinskter partnered with HOK on this project -

There are some good interior photos from a few months ago that can also be found on several separate TowerPinkster Instagram posts, and shared below -

Source: Instagram | Towerpinkster

Source: Instagram | TowerPinkster

The Creamery

Just a small bit of news on The Creamery - the mixed-use project in Edison designed by Byce & Associates. The new planned completion is January 2021, after some COVID construction delays.

Quote:
The Creamery development in Kalamazoo set be finished January 2021
Manny Revilla | WWMT / Newschannel 3
July 21st 2020

...Hollander said that COVID-19 has created a few small set backs in the process. Construction stopped for about two months and some materials have been harder to obtain but despite this Hollander said that he still believes that the building will open in January 2021 barring a spike in COVID-19 cases...
The Exchange

Some new, professional photographs are out for another recently-completed project designed by Byce - The Exchange. Sourced from Instagram, with credit to Jason Keen + Co. Photography & Fran Dwight Photography -

Charles & Lynn Zhang Animal Care & Resource Center

Progress continues on the new home of the Kalamazoo Humane Society. These are screenshots from a video walk through posted in June on Instagram -

Source: Instagram | Byce & Associates

West Main Mixed-Use Project

I don't have a lot of info on this project and I don't know what to call it yet, but the demolition went fast and is already complete, after months (years?) of planning to replace this derelict auto service shop on West Main, near Stadium Drive. I bet the neighbors are glad to see this eyesore finally gone.

Quote:
West Michigan vacant buildings to be restored for housing, commercial space
Trisha McCauley | WWMT / Newschannel 3
July 5th 2020

...MEDC began moving forward with community revitalization projects across the state...Crews were getting started on one of the projects in Kalamazoo. An old body shop on Kalamazoo Avenue was being torn down, making room for a new building that was expected to have have 18 residential units and commercial space for small businesses to use...
Boatyard Brewing Demolition (432 E Paterson)

Personally, this was a favorite hang out of mine. I was sad when it closed last year, and sad once again when I drove by the complex last week to see it bulldozed into the ground. I never understood why this place was disliked by so many locals, who complained about the environment, the food, the beer, the location, etc. I personally liked the crowd and the fact that it was set aside from all of the saturation of breweries downtown. The food and beer wasn't the best, but it was good, and the live music was always great and low-key. It was a cool complex, and it also housed some artist studios for a time, I believe.

Anyway, I am not completely sure what is going in its place. A lot of folks assume that the massive Graphic Packaging International faculties will expand its operations here from across the street, but I don't think so. They do indeed have plans for expansion, but I think it is all north of Paterson St., and mostly on the site of the old Checker Motors factory. One person on Facebook seems to be in the know and claims it is going to be a new Medical Marijuana grow faculty, coming Spring 2021. But no public info that I've seen on that. We will see...

Here's a google maps street view, from before the demo. The first two photos below are by Jane Brewer on Facebook, posted on July 11. And the last few are my own, taken on July 19 -

WMU Projects / Facilities Construction Cameras

I don't why it took me until just now to notice that Western Mich. University Facilities Department has several cameras and time lapses for campus construction projects on their website. Right now there are three active cameras, all focused on the new developments in the South Neighborhood area (Arcadia Flats & the new Student Center). The Student Center camera is especially useful, since it is largely obscured by construction fencing, landscaping, and adjacent buildings in-person. Links and stills from today, below.

Camera 1 - South Neighborhood Overview

Camera 2 - South Neighborhood / Arcadia Flats Close-Up

Camera 3 - Student Center & Dining Facilities:

Here's a time-lapse of the first 8 months of Arcadia Flats construction (from February 2019 - September 2019), also on the Facilities site.
Video Link

Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine Development

Finally, while not exactly development in the traditional sense, this is potential huge news for Kalamazoo if it results in billions invested in Pfizer by the Federal Government:

Quote:
Pfizer reaches agreement with U.S. government to produce COVID-19 vaccine
The nearly $2 billion contract aims to have 100 million doses of the vaccine by the end of 2020.

Will Kriss | WKZO
July 22, 2020

KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO AM/FM) -- The U.S. government has reached a $1.95 billion deal with Pfizer in producing a COVID-19 vaccine, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex M. Azar announced Wednesday. The goal of the deal is for large-scale production and nationwide delivery of 100 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine in the United States following the vaccine’s successful manufacture and approval. The agreement also allows the U.S. government to acquire an additional 500 million doses...

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:51 PM
somewhere in-between

It's hard to believe that is has been ten years since one of the worst inland oil spill disasters in this country's history.

Kalamazoo River Oil Spill

On July 26, 2020, about one million gallons of crude oil from the oil sands of Alberta, Canada spilled out of Enbridge's Line 6B into Talmadge Creek, near Marshall, MI. This creek is a tributary of the Kalamazoo River, and the subsequent damage contaminated 35 miles of the river and its surrounding watershed. The significance of this oil spill is not lost on Michiganders, and indeed, residents of the entire Great Lakes Region, as the debate rages on about what to do about another notorious Enbridge pipeline, Line 5, that runs beneath the straights of Mackinac.

You can find lots of articles and history on the spill without too much trouble. I am sharing just one such article here, from the perspective of the local Native American tribe that was possibly the most impacted (seems to be usually be the case) - the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi.

Quote:
The Great Stain: 10 Years after the Kalamazoo River oil spill
Second Wave Media | On the Ground: Battle Creek
July 27, 2020

Most of us in southern Michigan, including the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi (NHBP), knew that we shared our area with pipelines, but few of us knew much about them. On July 26, 2010, that changed forever. What had been silently beneath our feet delivering crude oil to refineries since the late 1960s suddenly became front and center in our collective consciousness, particularly that of the Tribe’s...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 7:44 PM

Hate to say it but the exchange is really ugly, looks like it was built in 2004.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 10:45 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Hate to say it but the exchange is really ugly, looks like it was built in 2004.
Yeah pretty much.

It's a tough one, because I'm happier with it than the empty surface lot. And I know some folks who worked on it and it was not an easy project to pull off with financial and scheduling constraints (when is it ever?)...

...but a building this tall only comes around once in a generation in Kzoo and something with more grace certainly would have been welcome. We take what we can get, here. I think it looks best at night, when it is lit up inside & out and the harshness of the concrete, EIFS, and paneling dissolves from sight.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:53 AM
somewhere in-between

Two updates out of Battle Creek

With the help of a grant from Battle Creek Unlimited, a new taco joint is planning to move into the empty downtown building at 56 E Michigan Ave. Sounds like there will also be some second floor residential units as part of the work. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of this...

Quote:
$250,000 BCU Grant to Bring Torti Taco to Downtown Battle Creek
Tim Collins | 95.3 WBCK
July 24, 2020

The COVID-19 Pandemic has slowed economic efforts everywhere, including downtown Battle Creek, but a new $250,000 grant from Battle Creek Unlimited (BCU) will pave the way for another downtown restaurant. Torti Taco will be moving into the old Operation Grad building at 56 East Michigan Avenue. Elliot McKone LLC, owner of the building, will get the quarter of a million dollar grant through the downtown Real Estate Improvement Fund...

Source: 95.3 WBCK

Source: Google Maps

And another (much bigger) deal also involving BCU (and Industrial Partners USA) was just announced. I'm sorry this is not more architecturally compelling, but it is still a significant investment -

Quote:
New $11 million industrial development coming to Battle Creek
Elena Durnbaugh | Battle Creek Enquirer
July 22, 2020

Battle Creek Unlimited has sold 55 acres along Watkins Road and Interstate 94 to Industrial Partners USA for the construction of a new industrial space. The development will feature a 270,000 square-feet industrial speculative building, which will include office space, 32-foot ceilings, 16 truck docks and the potential to accommodate a future rail spur. The total investment is expected to cost approximately $11 million. The developers plan to break ground later this summer and expect to have the building ready for move-in by March 2021. ..

Source: Battle Creek Enquirer | Courtesy BCU

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 18, 2021 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 1:22 PM
somewhere in-between

I don't get down to Portage as often as I used to, but was driving around Sunday and noticed a few things.

Portage North Natatorium

Construction is well-along on this new pool structure. This project is very similar to the recently completed pool at Portage Central. The main difference is that this one is a separate, detached structure. It's interesting to me that in the past few years, the Kzoo / Portage area has gained three new top-notch natatoriums (this one, Portage Central's, and K-College's). I think swimming & diving must be increasing in popularity.

Portage North Middle School

Right next door to this is (and sharing a vast parking lot) the recently completed Portage North Middle School. It's actually a pretty "urban" design for a decidedly "suburban" area. I say that mainly because of the density and the stacked program, which makes me picture this in a much denser setting. Same story as above, this is almost a copy of the new middle school wrapping up at Portage Central, just with different finishes and site layouts.

I particulary like this moment of stacked program & massing at a side entry to the commons -

City of Portage Fire Station No. 2

Lastly, I noticed that the replacement City Fire Station No. 2 is quite far along. It's a pretty different aesthetic from the adjacent, current 1970-'s-era structure. It seems to reference some of the common tropes of earlier fire stations, including the tower. All of the overhead doors / bays for the new building are located off of the street-side elevation, so other than the tower, this looks more like any of the other office suites in the area. I think the plan is that the old station will be demolished once the new one is up and running.

There's much more going on in Portage I'm sure, and maybe I'll catch some more of it eventually.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 1:43 PM
somewhere in-between

Here's another recent bit of coverage about the Kalamazoo oil spill and its aftermath.

Quote:
The Kalamazoo River Oil Spill 10 Years Later
Gordon Evans | WMUK
July 24, 2020

10 years ago, a massive oil spill near Marshall polluted about 30 miles of the Kalamazoo River. We have taken a look back at what happened to line 6-B and what followed over the next decade…

(link to audio)
Interestingly (sadly?) the river is now struggling with another potential environmental disaster at the Morrow Lake Dam...

Quote:
The Morrow Dam Drawdown Is Polluting The Kalamazoo River
Sehvilla Mann | WMUK
June 27, 2020

The company that operates Morrow Dam near Comstock faces a state investigation for letting large amounts of sediment wash into the Kalamazoo River, endangering fish habitats and possibly kicking up contaminants, according to the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy…

(link to audio)
Whenever I think about how under-utilized and under-appreciated the natural features of this area are, I have to remember that there is a tough history and legacy of pollution that people are still fighting to fix. In addition to the above problems, all of the decades of contamination from the heavy industry (especially paper manufacturing) along the river and its many tributaries still has lasting effects today.

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 30, 2020 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 5:29 PM
somewhere in-between

Demolition work in advance of the new Women & Children's shelter at the Kalamazoo Gospel Michigan has begun. It was delayed (like so many things) by COVID-19. It's a bit odd to celebrate a new homeless shelter project, but it is sadly infrastructure that the city needs while it works to solve disproportionate homelessness problems.

Quote:
Kalamazoo homeless shelter begins $10M renovation to women’s and children’s center
Samuel Robinson | MLive
July 30, 2020

KALAMAZOO, MI — Construction has begun on the Kalamazoo Gospel Ministries’ new women’s and children’s shelter, with the goal of better accommodating a demographic that continues to grow. Last week, the ministry celebrated the demolition of its vacated women’s and children’s center to make way for a new shelter with a live virtual event attended by Kalamazoo Mayor David Anderson, the ministries construction team and invested partners...

Source: MLive | Joel Bissel

Separately, here is a still shot from the construction camera today for the WMU Aviation Education College Addition in Battle Creek -

Source: OxBlue

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 8:32 PM
somewhere in-between

Here are a few Kalamazoo development things; in order from small to big.

1. (Small) - "Urban Alliance" Purchases its Building

Urban Alliance has purchased the former Stockbridge Avenue United Methodist Church building that has been serving as its home base since 2015. This is a well-established community / resident support program with deep roots in the city and deeper roots in the Edison neighborhood. It plans to continue to operate out of the building and further improve it as a neighborhood community / resource center.

Quote:
Urban Alliance Inc. purchases building in Edison neighborhood
“The purchase of this property allows Urban Alliance to expand its services and offerings to the community, both to the Edison neighborhood and Kalamazoo at large,” officials said.
Will Kriss | WKZO
August 04, 2020
It's actually a pretty decent-size site - nearly 1.4 acres according to GIS data. Seems there could be potential for some community-oriented development or affordable housing, down the road.

Base Image Source: Google Maps

2. (Medium) - Treystar / Haymarket Plaza Development

I feel like this was already announced, or maybe it's just because I was personally aware of plans for this redevelopment.

Quote:
Treystar announces development plan for Haymarket Plaza downtown
“We have always felt like our properties created a neighbor in and of themselves on East Michigan Avenue,” said Fritz Brown of Treystar.
Will Kriss | WKZO
August 04, 2020

KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO AM/FM) -- Kalamazoo-based development company Treystar, along with its partners Catalyst Development and the City of Kalamazoo, has announced plans in creating the Haymarket Plaza. Running along the north side of East Michigan Avenue, between the Main Street East buildings and the 180 Water Street project, the plaza is named after the historic Haymarket District where it is located...
This is kinda "Treystar-Central" so it makes sense that they would want to develop the void space created by their assemblage of properties in the Haymarket area. I like the idea of projection-mapping onto the side of the Haymarket Building. But at the end of the day, this development is really little more than some lighting, decorative concrete, landscaped planter beds, and maybe a few site furnishings (kinda like Bates Alley, on the opposite side of Michigan Ave. except at least there there are multiple businesses and restaurants / bars with outdoor decks / patios). At least they're trying...something. And if it is underwhelming at first, at least the groundwork has been laid for something better to come, futures from now...

Some Renderings:

Source: Patronicity / Treystar

3. (Medium) - 615 Holdings / 10th Street Enterprises

I mentioned a few posts ago about the demolition of a derelict auto shop near Stadium and West Main (very close to Kalamazoo College and the Amtrak train tracks). Well, we at least have a name and a rendering of some sort for this project. It's actually a little more interesting and a little bigger than I was picturing for that site. According to this GRBJ article, there will be two mixed-use buildings consisting of commercial space, 18 residential units, and 40 parking spaces. The project will receive a $750,000, performance-based grant from the MEDC / Michigan Community Revitalization Program. The site is also getting brownfield credits. I think this is a win-win-win for all those involved. Hopefully those are some strong, acoustically-insulated walls and glazing though, because that Amtrak horn is loud!

Quote:
MEDC funds three West Michigan projects
Rachel | Watson | GRBJ
August 4, 2020
And a lot more info / project background here:

Quote:
Offices and market-rate apartments planned west of downtown Kalamazoo
Malachi Barrett | MLive
November 30, 2018; Updated January 29, 2019
Interestingly, one of the partners in the development team used to be the lawyer for the brothers that owned the one-time auto shop.

Rendering (not much site context yet - presumably there are two of these?)

4. (Large) - Graphic Packaging International Expansion

I was driving along the wasteland of what is North Pitcher Street Monday (after dropping off our voting ballots) and I noticed this project is MUCH further along than I had thought. They are going like gangbusters on this thing. It seems like every contractor in the region and his brother are on-site. I figure there were at least 100 vehicles in the contractor lot, maybe 150. While an industrial development in every sense, the scale of this investment, not to mention the promise of jobs it means in this region, is immense.

This is a ~$600 million development to construct a new "coated recycle board" mill. It is all being built on the site of the former Checker Motor Corp. factory. The mill will house a new coated recycled board (CRB) machine with an anticipated output capacity of ~500,000 tons of coated recycle board annually. That's a lot of cardboard.

It was way too busy and monitored to get out and attempt photos, so I offer some drive-by shots only for now. At least half-a-dozen cranes of some sort too.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:41 PM
somewhere in-between

I haven't checked the City of Kalamazoo Active Site Plan Review website in a while. There are 10 site applications currently open. Of those 10, two are fairly interesting, and they are both senior-housing developments.

The first project is called Rose Street Senior Living. It would be located at the corner of W Cedar St and S Rose St, just a bit south of the recently completed 400 Rose mixed-use development. The owner / developer is PGJ, Development, LLC. I can’t find much on them, except they seem to also own / manage River Bluff Townhomes in Mt. Pleasant, MI.

The site / civil engineer is Driesenga & Associates (Kalamazoo) and the A&E firm is Hooker DeJong (Grand rapids). If approved, it could be a 5-story, 64-unit development, including first-floor enclosed parking (~83,000 SF total). I think this would be a great development for the location, effectively bringing the density of S. Rose St. further south and replacing a surface lot with some good density. It would be an almost total build-out of the site, in-terms of lot coverage and allowable height 57’ high proposed / 65’ max. allowed). There are plans showing an interior, second-story courtyard / light well that helps adherence with the 80% max. allowable lot coverage.

Source: City of Kalamazoo Site Plan Review

The second project is an expansion at the Heritage Community (located at the corner of Portage St. and Phillips St.). The exact project address would be 500 Golden Drive. It looks like two of their existing buildings would be demolished for a new, four-story, independent living facility with 60 residential units and interior parking (~134,000 SF total). The signage in one of the renderings reads "Revel Creek" which might be a hint at the specific name of the development. Byce & Associates is the local A&E firm, along with Perkins Eastman out of Chicago.

Source: City of Kalamazoo Site Plan Review

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:58 PM
somewhere in-between

I love this concept program, and I hate the location. In my opinion, the intersection of N. Westnedge Ave. & W. North St. is far too noisy, commercial, and traffic-laden to be a desirable spot for stand-alone dwellings, no matter what the size. This area should be reserved for denser, mixed-use development, maybe 2-3 floors of sound-attenuated apartments, with ground-level commercial. Hopefully the stakeholders know what they are doing. It's better than vacant parcels anyway. The three homes and small business office building would be built in the first phase, on the southeast corner. The goal is that three more would eventually be built in a subsequent phase on the opposite (northwest) corner.

Quote:
'Tiny' houses are set to be a big deal in Kalamazoo's Northside Neighborhood
Al Jones | Second Wave Media
August 28, 2020

Tiny houses are coming to Kalamazoo’s Northside Neighborhood. Delayed for more than seven months by state and local efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19, ground is to be broken on Oct. 8 on three “tiny” houses -- about 410 square feet each -- by Helping Other People Exceed (H.O.P.E.) thru Navigation...

Source: Second Wave Media

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 5:55 PM
somewhere in-between

Catching up some things in Portage & Kalamazoo, gleaned over the past few weeks. First, Kalamazoo -

WMU’s new Student Center & Dining Facilities building, from this morning –

Source: WMU Webcam

WMU Arcadia Flats, also this morning –

Source: WMU Webcam

The Creamery, from near end of July, 2020 -

Source: Instagram | byceassociates

The Charles & Lynn Zhang Animal Care & Resource Center (which will house the Kalamazoo Humane Society), early August, 2020 -

Source: Instagram | byceassociates

A couple views of 180 E Water St, posted by CSM via LinkedIn. The first is from during a Chiller installation, with bonus skyline shot -

An unfinished office floor level -

Source: LinkedIn | CSM Group

400 Rose, recently completed (it is the first LEED sustainable housing development in downtown Kalamazoo) -

Source: LinkedIn | AVB

Lastly, a sunrise view from the top of the new Hilton Garden Inn / Home2 Suites, from August 2020 -

Source: LinkedIn | First Companies, Inc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 9:23 PM
somewhere in-between

Moving on to Portage –

Some nice shots of Stryker's new building, from 07/31/2020 & 08/12/2020 -

Source: Instagram | @towerpinkster

Source: Instagram | towerpinkster

And a pretty cool axo-section rendering view of the interior, posted 08/07/2020 -

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDmRKmsjigz

Portage North Middle School, professionally photographed, and now with an AIA Design Honor Award under its belt -

Source: LinkedIn | C2AE / Jason Keen

Portage Public Schools recently released a public update video, with some footage of the new Central Middle School (which is very similar to the new North Middle School, just with different finishes).

Source: Portage Public Schools

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:12 PM
somewhere in-between

Kalamazoo Zoning Update

Kalamazoo is currently conducting a series of input activities to modify downtown zoning uses & standards. The first activity was focused on updating the downtown zoning map by dividing the one, large Commercial – Central Business District (CCBD) into three smaller districts. The resulting map is below. The second activity focuses on feedback for this draft map, and specific use and standards of the three proposed Downtown Districts. This activity ends tomorrow (9/8/20).

I think it is a good effort on the part of city planners, especially during the COVID era. Although I am not sure yet about the move from one zone to three (when many other municipalities seem to be headed the opposite direction). The city claims that the "one-size fits-all" approach limits their ability to implement the goals of the new master plan. The city's goal is to update the entire zoning code in sections. There has not been a comprehensive zoning update since 2005. These current updates are focused on supporting the visions outlined in the new, Imagine Kalamazoo 2025 Master Plan, which was completed in 2017 and can be viewed here.

More detail in the short video below -
Video Link

Anyway, if anyone else here lives in the city, I'd encourage you to participate.

Source: City of Kalamazoo

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:20 PM
somewhere in-between

1. City Life Teen Center, opening January 2021 (COVID delays), is a new, $3 million facility on Kalamazoo's Eastside. The site is the East Main Church of Christ (right next to Harding's). The architect is INFORM Architecture (local) -

Quote:
New Kalamazoo youth center to offer resources for teens on the East Side
Trisha McCauley | WWMT News Channel 3
September 3rd 2020

Construction is underway on a new youth center for teens on the East Side of Kalamazoo. Organizers of the project said teens on the East Side don’t have many resources available to them and they are hoping this center can provide positive opportunities.

“We want to provide several options for the teens, give them several options and alternatives to addressing the lack of resources that they have right now," City Life Center Director Zacarrii Hamby said...

Source: WWMT | Troy Truxton

Source: WWMT | Troy Truxton

2. While browsing around, I came across these renderings for the new "American Muscle" showcase building that is planned for the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners. It is designed to resemble a 1960's auto dealership.

Source: Schley Nelson Architects

3. Reservations are officially open for the new Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Kalamazoo. It looks like the first night one can book is December 9-10, 2020. No reservation dates yet for Home2 Suites, which I imagine is opening later. But both hotels are now hiring. I don't know why it took me until this far into it to realize that both projects have dedicated Facebook pages. Here are some updates from the recent past, from Facebook. The lobby in the renovated building (Hilton Garden Inn side) looks especially interesting. Note also the extensive snow melt system that is being installed.

Facebook Links:
Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown
Home2 Suites Kalamazoo Downtown

Source: Facebook | Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown

Source: Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown

Source: Facebook | Home2 Suites Kalamazoo Downtown

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 18, 2021 at 8:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations