HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yes. Good location.
Aren't they usually bigger?
Maybe it will be both floors?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 1:08 AM

Como Taperia on Main/7th announced today they've been denied a licence under the City's "Temporary Expedited Patio Program" that is ostensibly meant to help restaurants in Vancouver adapt their business model to COVID.

From the pictures I have seen online of Como's proposed patio (one is in the article linked above), it appears the restaurant did its best to ensure there is still enough sidewalk space to mitigate any accessibility concerns and still allow for comfortable pedestrian use. The owners are saying the City hasn't given them a straightforward and transparent answer as to how to get approved or why they aren't getting approved which is really frustrating to hear, especially after all the appendage-measuring between the Park Board and City Council over alcohol in public spaces.

I've noticed a few restaurants are putting temporary patios up that actually involve installation of decking, whereas Como seemed to just want to place tables and umbrellas outside without any permanent fixtures. However those other ones only look large enough to seat 4-6 people comfortably, so maybe that's the issue here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Como Taperia on Main/7th announced today they've been denied a licence under the City's "Temporary Expedited Patio Program" that is ostensibly meant to help restaurants in Vancouver adapt their business model to COVID.

From the pictures I have seen online of Como's proposed patio (one is in the article linked above), it appears the restaurant did its best to ensure there is still enough sidewalk space to mitigate any accessibility concerns and still allow for comfortable pedestrian use. The owners are saying the City hasn't given them a straightforward and transparent answer as to how to get approved or why they aren't getting approved which is really frustrating to hear, especially after all the appendage-measuring between the Park Board and City Council over alcohol in public spaces.

I've noticed a few restaurants are putting temporary patios up that actually involve installation of decking, whereas Como seemed to just want to place tables and umbrellas outside without any permanent fixtures. However those other ones only look large enough to seat 4-6 people comfortably, so maybe that's the issue here.
I saw their setup as well and I could not see an obvious problem at first glance.

This got some attention though and the Mayor is involved, so I assume it will get sorted out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:

Why are you guys saying that it isn't clear when the article seems to clearly say that it's because the application is for a patio on private property. And Como seems to have wanted a permanent patio since they opened two years ago.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Why are you guys saying that it isn't clear when the article seems to clearly say that it's because the application is for a patio on private property. And Como seems to have wanted a permanent patio since they opened two years ago.
Well, it looks like the permanent patio application is a separate issue. I saw they had some artist renderings for something with fixtures installed, but this is literally just tables and umbrellas as I said and it's a separate thing that they actually already set up in probably less than an hour. I'm guessing after the City led them to believe they were going to get approved; otherwise I'm not sure what explains their frustration at the communication coming from City Hall.

The point here about "private vs public" seems to be a policy oversight by the City given the program is supposed to make the process easier. Instead it's created weird cracks to fall through. If the City can mandate how private property is zoned and developed they should have been able to craft a policy (or at least amend it after once things like this happened) to ensure there was no bureaucracy loop here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:24 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yes. Good location.
Aren't they usually bigger?

If the Tukwila location means much the answer is yes. They regularly have long lineups.

Last edited by MIPS; Jun 7, 2020 at 5:26 PM. Reason: Oops! I'm a page behind!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Well, it looks like the permanent patio application is a separate issue. I saw they had some artist renderings for something with fixtures installed, but this is literally just tables and umbrellas as I said and it's a separate thing that they actually already set up in probably less than an hour. I'm guessing after the City led them to believe they were going to get approved; otherwise I'm not sure what explains their frustration at the communication coming from City Hall.

The point here about "private vs public" seems to be a policy oversight by the City given the program is supposed to make the process easier. Instead it's created weird cracks to fall through. If the City can mandate how private property is zoned and developed they should have been able to craft a policy (or at least amend it after once things like this happened) to ensure there was no bureaucracy loop here.
They said they would have relaxed rules to open patios on public property and on roads. If they had a problem for two years creating a patio for their restaurant do you find it that surprising they can't even get a Covid patio setup in two weeks?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 12:54 AM

I just Googled Jollibee images and a lot of them look McDonald's-sized.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 7:08 PM

Here's where the city has approved temporary patios. Interesting to see just one Starbucks on the list. Why that one?

https://biv.com/article/2020/06/here...mporary-patios

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:12 AM

Someone is selling the 6 Metro Vancouver Carl Jr's locations.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Here's where the city has approved temporary patios. Interesting to see just one Starbucks on the list. Why that one?

https://biv.com/article/2020/06/here...mporary-patios
That one is at The Melville.
Googled it and it already has a small patio on the Bute side, but could expand on the Melville side (?)

At the others, not sure if they are encouraging sitting around or grab and go.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Someone is selling the 6 Metro Vancouver Carl Jr's locations.
That someone isn't jolly about burgers...

I'll show myself out

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 8:13 AM

its at the McDonalds just next to IKEA, if you've been there...

Quote:
If you visited this McDonald’s in this time frame, you are advised to go to the BCCDC website and follow the instructions here.
Coquitlam McDonald's closed after employee tests positive for COVID-19

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/coq...-19-1.24161291

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:59 AM

Superbaba is opening up at Main & Broadway. Seems crazy with all the construction happening on the subway.

https://scoutmagazine.ca/2020/07/02/...n-mt-pleasant/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Superbaba is opening up at Main & Broadway.
Thanks but I'll stick with Budgies a long established known quantity 'n the hood-the food is nothing exceptional but I find the ratio of smarmy hipsters to normal people ratio to be fairly low quite unlike the Tacofino crowd.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Thanks but I'll stick with Budgies a long established known quantity 'n the hood-the food is nothing exceptional but I find the ratio of smarmy hipsters to normal people ratio to be fairly low quite unlike the Tacofino crowd.
Pretty sure both places cater to hipsters.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 11:26 PM

The Homer St. Cafe was building a long parking space patio on Homer St. today.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:58 AM

Sammy J across from IKEA in Coquitlam is closed down, the signage is now gone, I think covid was its end, cause it was open before the closures.

Anyway the whole strip along that stretch of Lougheed from Boston Pizza to the Dairy Queen is up for sale. I wonder what could be built there it's not much to work with.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:03 AM
Community Guy

Chambar last night with friends.

The appis were delicious:

Congolaise - Mussels, tomato coconut cream, smoked chili, lime, cilantro
Calamars - Veal-stuffed calamari, pickled cucumber, taro chips, chili aioli

Mains just ok:

Thon aux Petits Pois
Seared Ahi tuna, summer peas, confit purple potatoes, carrot purée, brown butter broth, mint pistou

La Pièce de Viande
Char-grilled 8oz free range flank steak, crisp chorizo, yukon gold potatoes, tomato & tarragon béarnaise

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:24 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Chambar last night with friends.

The appis were delicious:

Congolaise - Mussels, tomato coconut cream, smoked chili, lime, cilantro
Calamars - Veal-stuffed calamari, pickled cucumber, taro chips, chili aioli

Mains just ok:

Thon aux Petits Pois
Seared Ahi tuna, summer peas, confit purple potatoes, carrot purée, brown butter broth, mint pistou

La Pièce de Viande
Char-grilled 8oz free range flank steak, crisp chorizo, yukon gold potatoes, tomato & tarragon béarnaise
Wow that’s so cool. What did you have for breakfast?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining