HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
This has probably been brought up but I would love to see Hines/Microsoft and Invesco come together with the city and put some money towards beautifying the 17th Street bridge. It wouldn't make Atlantic Station feel like an island from Midtown. Win-win for everyone. Plus, it would be a warmer welcome to the city coming down I-85 South.
Hell, it would be even nicer and more practical if they could fund a streetcar extension over that bridge.....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:52 PM

You have to get the buy in from the state of GA not the city. The bridge is the state’s baby not the city’s.... That’s probably part of the reason it turned out the way it has. State DOT controls it.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
You have to get the buy in from the state of GA not the city. The bridge is the state’s baby not the city’s.... That’s probably part of the reason it turned out the way it has. State DOT controls it.
The governor would most likely support it. He supports business, especially huge corporations that bring jobs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
CoA needs the state to abandon the bridge and a handful key sections of state routes and hand them over to the city. Frankly they’re holding the city back with streets such as DLH, North Ave, Northside, Metropolitan, and Ponce.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 12:22 AM

17th Street bridge would look great if they coated it in brick. The yellow has not aged well. At all.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 11:40 PM

The New Atlantic Green

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 1:42 AM

The New Atlantic Green

Looks pretty decent. The rest of it could use some love as well. Start with pressure washing the place.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
CoA needs the state to abandon the bridge and a handful key sections of state routes and hand them over to the city. Frankly they’re holding the city back with streets such as DLH, North Ave, Northside, Metropolitan, and Ponce.
It is possible the new Atlanta Department of Transportation (ADOT) is negotiating with the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) to gain control of all State routes in Atlanta (based on some discussions with a person in the know).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin22 View Post
It is possible the new Atlanta Department of Transportation (ADOT) is negotiating with the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) to gain control of all State routes in Atlanta (based on some discussions with a person in the know).
There’s sections of particular streets that are critical. Would be interesting to see a map on which sections exactly are being discussed.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 4:57 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin22 View Post
This sounds pretty amazing, if true.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 8:26 PM

^Definitely true. Tim Keane said as much on a recent Midtown Quality of Life call. No promises, but that there had been significant progress in GDOT's approach to control of streets in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^Definitely true. Tim Keane said as much on a recent Midtown Quality of Life call. No promises, but that there had been significant progress in GDOT's approach to control of streets in Atlanta.
So did Andre Dickens at the Midtown Quality of Life call on Saturday. Atlanta would have effective control of all GDOT's streets.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:37 AM

I’m assuming the state will be providing more money to the city for work on these streets or the taxpayers in the city are getting screwed even more than we do now. This isn’t necessarily a good thing...depends on how the agreement is done.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I’m assuming the state will be providing more money to the city for work on these streets or the taxpayers in the city are getting screwed even more than we do now. This isn’t necessarily a good thing...depends on how the agreement is done.
My thoughts exactly. Where would all the funds come from?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:33 PM

I can only imagine it as a good thing, even if Atlanta is footing 100% of the bill for street maintenance. There's Federal funding, SPLOST, improvement districts, and other sources for improvement and maintenance. It's been a complete headache for neighborhoods to have little to no control. Five lane one-way streets with horrible sidewalks will give way to three lane streets with a bike lane and wide shaded sidewalks, and the city can more easily do things like fix signal timing, install pedestrian crossings, and require construction sites to provide ADA access if they close the sidewalk.
Side note, but it really irked me when they named West Peachtree honorary Gladys Knight Highway. I know it doesn't matter, but it showed GDOT's tone deaf attitude. How hard would it have been to call it "Gladys Knight Way" or "Gladys Knight Avenue"? May seem irrational but it still bugs me.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Where would all the funds come from?
Per my understanding, we would get the State funds already allocated for these streets, but I am not sure who would fund additional improvements.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:28 PM

Frankly getting GDOT out of the way on these streets will be a huge boon. They’ve been an impediment for decades and another hoop to jump through, which extends project timelines due to bureaucracy. This should speed up projects such as BRT, complete streets, and protected bike lanes.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 12:23 AM

SriThai Kitchen and Sushi Bar will have their soft opening on July 1st

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 9:59 PM

Atlantic Yards progress

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:11 PM

Another view of Atlantic Yards curves

https://twitter.com/ATLmidtwnguy/sta...32063741419522

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta