HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:30 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Right now, I think its safe to say that Sandy is making the strongest play to have the "second downtown" of the Salt Lake Valley.
Sandy ran a big advertising campaign in the late-1990s branding themselves as "the new downtown."

The convention center. The REAL stadium. The cluster of office buildings. It's all the manifestation of that push.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:59 PM

I don't think Sandy could ever be a 2nd downtown. They don't have the vision for that as can be seen in their current buildings and future plans.

They are too much aligned to the tower in the park mentality.

I think West Valley and South Salt Lake have a better claim to the 2nd downtown right now with what both Cities have been doing and what they are planning. I should also include Murray but so far all they have are plans.

All 3 cities are building around transit. They are focusing more on residents living in and around their respective downtown areas and have pedestrian plans to make the areas more walkable.

For Sandy, even if all their current plans came to fruition as planned, the only area that would be walkable would be the area between the Stadium and I-15. Their downtown area, while having taller buildings would not be walkable.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:13 PM
Space Magi

I think the development in South Salt Lake is the most exciting of the "downtowns" to me. That area already has the cool microbreweries, great access to transit, and it's tight enough geographically to end up being walkable if the plans are executed well. Also, Sugar House is basically a hip, mini downtown at this point.

I agree about Sandy being too spread out to be very engaging. It may still end up having the best skyline outside of SLC though.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:10 PM

St John's Properties Says it will build a new upscale business park in Taylorsville Called "Beltway West" Just north of the Old AMX building ( which I think is now being converted to Utah State Offices) adjacent to I-215. It will include 5 buildings for a total of 300,000 feet²

Looks nice, but wish those one story buildings were more like 3 - 4.

Last edited by SL,UT; May 27, 2020 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:48 PM

The images weren't displaying for me, but here's a link that has renderings and site plans: https://www.sjpi.com/properties/tayl...e/beltway-west

The single-story buildings do seem odd to me. I noticed them doing some kind of clearing and prep work the other day north of the AMEX building (which confirmed, is being converted to state offices) and was wondering what was afoot.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:59 PM

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 10:24 AM

Here's the Trib. article on that. Looks like both Taylorsville, Springville with additional construction in Pleasant Grove is going to happen. It would appear that Utah will actually make some gains because of its excellent handling of the virus.

Undaunted by COVID-19, developer plans new business parks in Taylorsville, Springville

Tony Semerad - Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/...nted-by-covid/

Real estate developer St. John Properties said Thursday it will build new upscale business parks in Taylorsville and Springville and expand another site in Pleasant Grove.

The plans, made public as Utah continues to ease health restrictions related to COVID-19, could mean as much as a $120 million investment in the state’s economy and create new spaces for up to 2,750 workers, the Baltimore-based company said.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, who participated in an online news conference Thursday, called the St. John’s move a sign that investors were reassured by Utah’s approach to the pandemic and to business regulation...

Herbert said that in the last week, seven companies had agreed to expand their operations in Utah in the midst of the pandemic, with the prospect of creating as many as 3,665 jobs in the coming years. Among them are three companies enticed to grow their operations by the promise of future state tax refunds.

Daniel Thomas, regional partner for St. John Properties in Utah, said in spite of challenges from the pandemic, the firm sees “a tremendously bright future in Utah.”

The company’s announcement Thursday included a Forbes Magazine reference to a recent study by business analysts at Moody’s Analytics, which found the wider metropolitan areas around Salt Lake City and Provo among the best-positioned in the U.S. to recover from the health crisis...

Last edited by delts145; May 27, 2020 at 10:48 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:53 PM

Zions bank to build new tech campus in Midvale
Article here

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:25 PM

^^^Rendering - Good catch, this is a pretty big deal. Those reclaimed mill areas have really been a windfall for Midvale.

Last edited by delts145; May 27, 2020 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:01 PM

Okay, not sure why my images render correctly for the first few hours and then the dreaded prohibition symbol appears. I am using google photos for hosting and just I just copy the image link. What image hosting site to you guys use?

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:46 PM

Unless they're photos you have personally taken then it's better to just copy and paste the photos directly from the online news article, google etc. If they are photos you have taken it would be best to get an explanation from a forum member like Atlas. I still haven't taken the time to figure the hosting ones out, since there's more than enough great photographers in the forum taking great photo updates regularly.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:30 PM
Space Magi

I usually use imgur.com. You just upload the image there as a "new post," give it a title, and copy the image location. On Firefox, this is a right click + "copy image location."

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 8:23 AM

Imgur is what I use as well, as they have a handy link for forums that you can simply copy-paste into here. Imgur also allows you to edit the size of the picture.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Zions will accommodate more than 2,000 employees at this location and be built to respond to changing work patterns in the years ahead. Providing Zions employees a highly flexible and engaging work environment, the new campus will allow the bank to achieve substantial efficiencies by eliminating 11 smaller facilities totaling 520,000 square feet, reducing related occupancy costs by more than 20%.
I suppose this means we can abandon any hopes that Zions Bank will ever construct a new headquarters tower downtown.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I suppose this means we can abandon any hopes that Zions Bank will ever construct a new headquarters tower downtown.
I think that they will still build a new HQ downtown. The current building has been cramped for a few years now. There is already a very small tech presence at the current HQ. Zions has been utilizing space along the Wasatch Front, from Ogden down through Provo to house various tech workers. The largest tech office for Zions has been in West Valley.

The new office will be completely for Tech. It may result in the moving between 25 and 50 people from the current HQ building.

My understanding is that there are still plans in the works for Zions to build a new HQ tower. It would be a mixed office building with Zions being the owner and primary tenant. Others would sublease space. This would allow Zions to grow while also providing additional revenue for them.

Timelines have shifted due to COVID but I would be surprised if they have pulled their plans completely. I could see them delay their plans a few years though, unless downtown commercial space fills up very quickly.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:49 PM

The Prestige (Centennial Towers?)

Something interesting I just noticed, a lot of these apartment websites now lists The Prestige being built in 2023 but the address is on the same plot where the other proposed project Centennial Towers is at I'm thinking maybe they just forgot to change the name and number of stories it lists it. It also still shows the old rendering of the tower.
https://www.apartments.com/the-prest...dy-ut/7qb396z/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:41 PM

Daybreak Library

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:43 PM

Kearns Library

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:27 PM
West bench livin'

So does anyone know what's up with Phase II of Mountain View Village? They completed the steel for the 4-storey office building and suddenly they've pulled all the equipment and trailers off site and it looks abandoned...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:22 AM

^^^

The Kearns Library exterior and landscaping are complete; I believe they're on track for a December 2020 reopening. It's a beautiful community center for a community that needs one. A good example of public work done the right way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West