HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
LOL this over the freaking PIN plan? The Pin was always dumb and never would have been built in any circumstance.

Furthermore our excitement on this website has absolutely 0 to do with things getting built..

IF anything now that we have real development to follow we dont need to waste our time on nonsense like the Pin
Did you bother reading my previous post? I clearly stated I was not a fan of the Pin. I'm speaking specifically of anything that could be innovative for Phoenix. Furthermore, I truly believe in density over height; however, just because Phoenix is finally getting "real development" doesn't mean we need to develop to the lowest common denominator while other cities are clearly taking more risks architecturally.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:21 AM

Disagree

I don't know what the hell any of you are talking about.

I *can* move things with just the power of my mind. Whatever you just thought...I made you do that. You're welcome.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:53 PM

I always wondered if it would be cool to build an abstract glass structure/ observation tower (but wouldn't have to be that tall) in the form of a prickly pear cactus. I would think Tempe Town Lake would be a cool location for it.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Did you bother reading my previous post? I clearly stated I was not a fan of the Pin. I'm speaking specifically of anything that could be innovative for Phoenix. Furthermore, I truly believe in density over height; however, just because Phoenix is finally getting "real development" doesn't mean we need to develop to the lowest common denominator while other cities are clearly taking more risks architecturally.
Just to touch on this...height=density. You can have 300 units taking up an entire block OR you can have 300 units in a 500 footer that takes up a third of the block. Which do you think provides more density? This is why New York is one of the densest cities in the world. It wouldn't be that way if they built block-sized 4 story complexes all over the place, but I digress.

The Pin was an idea in the right direction to get something new for Phoenix, unfortunately, it was a very bland design. But there'a also no reason Phoenix cannot have an observation tower. The old adage, "Build it and they will come", seems to work here very well. I highly doubt an observation tower built here would not have any visitors and would be a failure. Put a few amenities (a coffee bar, restaurant, arcade, etc.) and it would probably do very well.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Just to touch on this...height=density. You can have 300 units taking up an entire block OR you can have 300 units in a 500 footer that takes up a third of the block. Which do you think provides more density? This is why New York is one of the densest cities in the world. It wouldn't be that way if they built block-sized 4 story complexes all over the place, but I digress.

The Pin was an idea in the right direction to get something new for Phoenix, unfortunately, it was a very bland design. But there'a also no reason Phoenix cannot have an observation tower. The old adage, "Build it and they will come", seems to work here very well. I highly doubt an observation tower built here would not have any visitors and would be a failure. Put a few amenities (a coffee bar, restaurant, arcade, etc.) and it would probably do very well.
Did the Pin even have a revolving restaurant planned.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Did the Pin even have a revolving restaurant planned.
Not that I'm aware. But if the entire spiral rotated, that may have been kinda cool.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:11 PM

Sorry to be such a crabass. I get this every time I come to Austin.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Sorry to be such a crabass. I get this every time I come to Austin.
Austin is overrated.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Austin is overrated.
I spent my young adult years here in Austin in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a great place and very underrated at the time. It’s grown so much since then and has lost some great establishments along the way as a result of this growth, but has a much more active downtown than Phoenix any day of the week. No contest. I guess that makes it overrated, yeah?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Austin is overrated.
Does downtown PHX jump like this on a typical Friday or Saturday night? Pretty cool video that only scratches the surface of downtown ATX. It doesn't even mention the many great food options, the 20 or so high rise residential towers, the several million square feet of new office buidling construction, the great nearby parks and trails, or fully explain the fact that downtown ATX is one of the very few 24/7 city centers in the southern tier of US cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh99kHLXGKo

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:33 PM
Modulator

This is turning into a city comparison discussion. Let's keep on topic please.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Austin is overrated.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Does downtown PHX jump like this on a typical Friday or Saturday night? Pretty cool video that only scratches the surface of downtown ATX. It doesn't even mention the many great food options, the 20 or so high rise residential towers, the several million square feet of new office buidling construction, the great nearby parks and trails, or fully explain the fact that downtown ATX is one of the very few 24/7 city centers in the southern tier of US cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh99kHLXGKo
My statement is not a comparison, In my opinion Austin has a reputation that far outshines what the reality is.

And yes, while downtown is not as alive most nights...yet... Mill Ave and Old Town are just as busy and "hoppin" as that video and have been for decades.

Last edited by Obadno; May 31, 2019 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:16 AM

Double post

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 8:44 AM

Random thoughts

1. I live downtown, and constantly look for places to go for a lovely vista. This is the same instinct that drives many people to hike uphill in the Valley and inflates real estate values. While a Pin Tower-esque proposal might not be THE thing that solves this quest for many, I think that some publicly/semi-publicly accessible view of the environs would sell like hotcakes. Arrange commerce around it to subsidize it, put it near transit, and I think it would become an instant must-do in Phoenix.

2. I saw Austin grow up to what it is. It definitely has more foot traffic most nights, but a lot of that has to do with the stew that spilled out from UT. If ASU keeps growing, expect foot traffic to multiply at all hours of the day. We are at the beginning of the curve, IMHO.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest