HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 5:28 PM

[QUOTE=combusean;8984195]Did construction basically stop on the Millennium apartment building? The above looks much the same as it did a month ago.

Millennium this morning. They were moving pretty slow, but once it went vertical, it took off.

http://imgur.com/gallery/GlcCHgp

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 7:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Did construction basically stop on the Millennium apartment building? The above looks much the same as it did a month ago.

jvbahn, there is a master plan for Park Central sort of in its rezoning but none of that represents anything with teeth. The space between the under construction building and the walkway is slated for creighton's phase 2 which should be a couple floors taller than phase 1.
Incorrect on that. The 2nd phase will to the South on the corner of Central and Catalina. That space between phase 1 and the walkway is only about 50'. Pic makes it look larger than it really is. The construction trailer is actually sitting on the space for vegetation and runoff.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:43 PM

The Intriguing Story Behind the 1937 Merryman Funeral Home

Cool story on the Merryman Funeral Home and an anticipated opening date of next year for the bar/restaurant concept that's currently under construction

https://dtphx.org/2020/07/14/the-int...-funeral-home/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 11:29 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Incorrect on that. The 2nd phase will to the South on the corner of Central and Catalina. That space between phase 1 and the walkway is only about 50'. Pic makes it look larger than it really is. The construction trailer is actually sitting on the space for vegetation and runoff.
Thanks for clearing that up. The renderings always looked a bit ambiguous. Is there a coherent site plan somewhere? The best I've ever seen was in the zoning and that's never been consistent.

That trellis structure on the walkway could really use some vine overgrowth. I am not a fan of the remodel at all but the walkway and enhanced signage was a good start.

And, fwiw, a retention basin or whatever they're going to do with that lot as described is an enormous waste of space on Central Avenue.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. The renderings always looked a bit ambiguous. Is there a coherent site plan somewhere? The best I've ever seen was in the zoning and that's never been consistent.

That trellis structure on the walkway could really use some vine overgrowth. I am not a fan of the remodel at all but the walkway and enhanced signage was a good start.

And, fwiw, a retention basin or whatever they're going to do with that lot as described is an enormous waste of space on Central Avenue.
I haven't seen a site plan. I could probably send in a records request and get more info. The spot that construction trailer is sitting on was the retention basin before they started building. Not sure what the remaining space will be. I actually drove by last night and there's probably a lot less than my initial assessment of 50'. From the construction trailer to the 2 floor portion of the building is actually more like 20'. Maybe an outdoor space with some seating?

I actually am OK with the remodel. Comparing this one to AZ Center, AZ Center has already grown old on me where I think Park Central will date a little bit better. I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen a site plan. I could probably send in a records request and get more info. The spot that construction trailer is sitting on was the retention basin before they started building. Not sure what the remaining space will be. I actually drove by last night and there's probably a lot less than my initial assessment of 50'. From the construction trailer to the 2 floor portion of the building is actually more like 20'. Maybe an outdoor space with some seating?

I actually am OK with the remodel. Comparing this one to AZ Center, AZ Center has already grown old on me where I think Park Central will date a little bit better. I guess time will tell.
So the area along the walkway between the Creighton building under construction looks like it will be a row of surfacing parking with spaces on the right side for food trucks to park along the walk way leading into Park Central.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:06 PM
Modulator

Looks like Thunderbird Legacy has been resubmitted for an FAA evaluation @270'. Four submitions in total:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...88724503&row=6

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:45 PM

I really hope it gets built. I really believe it could spark further development a long that area. Hopefully Barrister will be next.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
I really hope it gets built. I really believe it could spark further development a long that area. Hopefully Barrister will be next.
Agreed on Thunderbird Legacy. I've given up all hope on Barrister. Does anyone know or remember the stipulations of the RFP agreement? Thinking this one goes back to the drawing board and another RFP gets issued. I hope I am wrong...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:06 PM

What was the proposed height of Barrister project

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:30 PM

I don’t recall height but want to say it was around 15 stories

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:12 PM

Thanks Diablo, because I remember reading an article awhile back, It state that the architect was a firm out of Chicago and that it was 30 floors.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Thanks Diablo, because I remember reading an article awhile back, It state that the architect was a firm out of Chicago and that it was 30 floors.
You're right. Found an old AZ Central article that referenced 15-stories but this latest one from PBJ says 30

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...80m-condo.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
You're right. Found an old AZ Central article that referenced 15-stories but this latest one from PBJ says 30

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...80m-condo.html
I think the 30 story was most recent with the expensive condos. Doesn't seem practical now. But who knows, housing market is still strong and some good news on vaccine development today so maybe this will be viable sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 10:37 PM

Barrister is an odd one. I loved the renderings, but always found the information to be kinda sketchy.

The last 'official' thing I heard was that this project was put on hold in October of 2017 as a result of Urban Phoenix Project trying to block the acquisition of the alley that bisects the property. The developer beat the UPP and the City Council allowed the developer to acquire the alley.

The guy who was spearheading this one, Geoff Beer, is no longer with East-West if I recall correctly.

The other weird thing is Sunbelt Holdings no longer lists the parcel on their website.

Anyway... I have no idea what's going on with this one anymore...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 11:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Barrister is an odd one. I loved the renderings, but always found the information to be kinda sketchy.

The last 'official' thing I heard was that this project was put on hold in October of 2017 as a result of Urban Phoenix Project trying to block the acquisition of the alley that bisects the property. The developer beat the UPP and the City Council allowed the developer to acquire the alley.

The guy who was spearheading this one, Geoff Beer, is no longer with East-West if I recall correctly.

The other weird thing is Sunbelt Holdings no longer lists the parcel on their website.

Anyway... I have no idea what's going on with this one anymore...

I'm fairly certain this one has fallen off the development block.

I can't figure out why that lot is so cursed. Seems like anything that gets proposed fails. Hopefully with Block 23 almost fully finished, this will push someone to actually develop the lot now.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain this one has fallen off the development block.

I can't figure out why that lot is so cursed. Seems like anything that gets proposed fails. Hopefully with Block 23 almost fully finished, this will push someone to actually develop the lot now.
It is a bit trickier of a development than normal - which probably doesn't help.

1) Any development on this lot MUST include the Psycho building - and the developer CANNOT change the exterior of that building. Interior only.
2) Additionally, the alley has always been a big question mark.

My hunch is developers are simply finding it hard to make the lot profitable enough. I know for a fact that if the alley had gone in Urban Phoenix Project's favor, the last developer believed there was no way Barrister/Jefferson Place would be financially viable. But this was back in 2016/17.

Hopefully the increase in downtown demand will help make things pencil.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:25 AM
Modulator

Some potential bad news about Phoenix getting the 1st Atari Hotel. I cannot confirm this information (and the site doesn't post their source as well), so just taking this with a grain of salt. I'm not sure how legit this info is as I don't follow Vegas development much.

https://vitalvegas.com/las-vegas-loo...t-atari-hotel/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Looks like Thunderbird Legacy has been resubmitted for an FAA evaluation @270'. Four submitions in total:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...88724503&row=6
Thanks for finding this, this was submitted back in 2018 with construction from 2019-2021. Would there be an updated application?

Sorry I just figured out how to use the FAA website,

Last edited by BA744PHX; Jul 21, 2020 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:56 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Thanks for finding this, this was submitted back in 2018 with construction from 2019-2021. Would there be an updated application?

Sorry I just figured out how to use the FAA website,
I'm not sure if a new app is required if it expires. I think they just renew the original application. I've seen a lot of dated apps get re-submitted with the original dates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest