HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 2:47 PM

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...t-a-crossroads

Alouettes' front office at a crossroads
President Mario Cecchini's contract is set to expire at the end of December and ownership is muddled as CFL team begins search for head coach.

We know the Alouettes are in the market for a new head coach. And, by the end of next week, that search could also include a new president.

Mario Cecchini’s contract is set to expire at the end of December. While he’d like to return to continue building what he and general manager Danny Maciocia started — both were hired in 2020 — he’s financially solvent and doesn’t need the job.

With the Als already beginning to prepare for next season, Cecchini, 58, must reach a decision relatively quickly. He just spent two days in Montreal meeting with minority owner Gary Stern, the Toronto-based steel magnate who, as Cecchini said last Tuesday, is becoming more involved in the team’s operations after stepping away from his role as the lead governor in August.

“We’re in the thought process to evaluate how everything’s going to work out,” Cecchini told the Montreal Gazette on Friday. “I’m talking to Gary about the future plans, what can we do and how do we want this to function with the ownership structure. We’ll get to the bottom of everything we need to tell each other in order to move forward in a satisfying way for both parties.

“We’re in discussion,” Cecchini added. “Since we’re talking, it’s an indication he wants me back, but we need to find out how. How things will function at every level. I’ll make a decision based on that, for the benefit of both parties.”

While Stern was in the city meeting employees at Olympic Stadium, he also sat down with Maciocia to talk about football.

Maciocia replaced Khari Jones as interim head coach in July, and reiterated Tuesday that occupying both positions proved mentally and physically draining. While Stern asked Maciocia this week whether he wanted to remain the head coach, it was strongly suggested the Als need to hire someone. The two also discussed players — those under contract and others, such as quarterback Trevor Harris and receiver Eugene Lewis, eligible to become free agents in February. Lewis was a finalist as the league’s most outstanding player.

“He (Stern) wasn’t here too much for me,” Maciocia said. “But, from the football side, things are a bit clearer.”

Maciocia was expected to begin requesting permission Friday from other organizations to interview coaches. It’s no secret Jason Maas, recently fired as Saskatchewan’s offensive coordinator, and Mark Kilam, Calgary’s special-teams coordinator, are on Maciocia’s radar. But Maciocia said he’d prefer to promote from within. That means defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe and assistant head coach André Bolduc could be the co-favourites.

The fact Ottawa also must hire a head coach, Maciocia said, won’t alter his thought process or affect his timeline of hiring someone by Christmas.

The Als’ ownership situation remains muddled. The estate of the late Sid Spiegel controls 75 per cent with Stern, his son-in-law and business partner, retaining the remainder. But this arrangement has slowed the decision-making process during the last two months. Spiegel is survived by four children.

While Stern again wants to become more actively involved in the day-to-day operations and can make recommendations, it’s believed he needs to go through the estate for clearance on financial decisions. While the estate, Cecchini said, has given no indication it intends to sell, that could change. It could also potentially walk away from the franchise, meaning Stern or the CFL would be responsible.

It’s believed Stern was in discussions with the league on Friday, hoping to be reinstated as the lead governor. He couldn’t be reached for comment.

The Als are expected to lose $4.5 million to $5.5 million in 2022 although, with CFL revenue sharing, that total should be reduced. Stern has long maintained the franchise can eventually break even, if not turn a profit, but that seems unlikely because Molson Stadium is the league’s smallest venue.

Cecchini has worked hard to reduce the deficit which, from 2017 to 2019, was believed to be a total of $33 million. The Als averaged 17,683 spectators in 2022. Attendance for their East Division semifinal against Hamilton was 20,693. In 2021, when the schedule was reduced to seven home games, the average was 13,063 and the team didn’t host a playoff game.

Based on a three-year average, Montreal is one of only three teams that saw attendance increase, and one of only two that saw revenue grow, according to a league source.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 5:37 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
I personally thinks he (Bo) ends up in Toronto after all is said and done.
Doesn’t Toronto have first rights on all ex-Stampeder players & coaches ?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 5:38 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Insanely improbable prediction:

An ownership group appears out of thin air in Halifax, and negotiates a $200M agreement with the city and the Nova Scotia provincial government for a new 25,000 seat stadium on the Dartmouth waterfront. Construction on a new stadium (including a dedicated fast ferry terminal) to begin immediately, with the team to commence play in the 2026 season.

I want this prediction to come true soooo bad.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:24 PM

Redblacks are keeping Bob Dyce as permanent head coach oof. His record as HC has always been losing records. I know Buck Pierce turned down their offer for an interview this week.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Redblacks are keeping Bob Dyce as permanent head coach oof. His record as HC has always been losing records. I know Buck Pierce turned down their offer for an interview this week.
Geez. Give him a chance. He has been interim HC twice after firings... I don't think anyone is going to step into those situations inheriting a dysfunctional team and then tear it up.

Good for Bobby, good Winnipeg guy.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:41 PM
Ham-burgher

They hired Khari Jones to run the offense too. Good choice - I was hoping Hamilton would move on from Condell and give Jones the OC position.

And if Dyce fails, they have an experienced person to jump into an interim role.

But I think Ottawa's problem is not the coaching. Major rebuild that needs to play itself out. Can't keep remaking a team every season and have it work... Hamilton illustrated this perfectly in the early 2000s. Bringing in Obie changed everything, then Austin carried on the improvement, and now more continuity under Steinauer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:58 PM

^ Yeah, the Bombers went through a period where they kept starting from scratch every few years as well. Those were some rough times. It's tough to build a franchise without some stability in the organization.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 4:01 PM
Ham-burgher

It doesn't help that there are so many free agents, with the year-long contracts, but if you create stability those guys will want to re-sign even if it's just for another year.

And a stable front office and coaching cadre makes it easier to keep good personnel.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:51 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Bryan Burnham retires.
Best receiver in the CFL IMO.

http://https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/bc-lions-bryan-burnham-retirement-1.1889437

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 1:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Bryan Burnham retires.
Best receiver in the CFL IMO.
In recent years, I agree.

HUGE argument if we go back in time though... Milt Stegall, S.J. Green, Earl Winfield, Terry Greer, Ray Elgaard, Rocky Dipietro... et al (SO MANY greats, for every team)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:41 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
In recent years, I agree.

HUGE argument if we go back in time though... Milt Stegall, S.J. Green, Earl Winfield, Terry Greer, Ray Elgaard, Rocky Dipietro... et al (SO MANY greats, for every team)
Yeah, there's been a plethora of excellent and entertaining receivers in the CFL.

What about Swervin' Mervyn Fernandez? Not a long career, but a great one.

Saskatchewan's history has been great.

I'm partial to Elgaard, Narcisse and Dressler, but I think our best receiver ever was Joey Walters. Sad he didn't get to play a couple more years. 1981 with 102 catches for 1,715 yards and then 1,695 yards in 1982. I saw him make the most ridiculous TD catch I've ever witnessed. Rob Vanstone even wrote an article on it...

Rob Vanstone: The greatest catch ever still grabs me, 40 years later

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:47 PM

As a Winnipegger, there is only one permissible answer to the question of "who is the greatest receiver in CFL history..."

Never caught from behind... not once!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:06 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As a Winnipegger, there is only one permissible answer to the question of "who is the greatest receiver in CFL history..."

Never caught from behind... not once!
He was a good one for sure, but did he catch 308 yards of passes in a single game? Alfred Jackson Jr. Although, I would say that was all Matt Dunigan that day. So ridiculous.

Bombers Finally Get to See Dunigan's Record Setting Game

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
He was a good one for sure, but did he catch 308 yards of passes in a single game? Alfred Jackson Jr. Although, I would say that was all Matt Dunigan that day. So ridiculous.

Bombers Finally Get to See Dunigan's Record Setting Game
I can only imagine what Stegall would have pulled off if he had the likes of Matt Dunigan, protected by that early 90s Bomber offensive line, throwing to him.

Remember, apart from Khari Jones and some brief flashes of awesomeness from Kevin Glenn, this was the typical class of QB that Stegall was dealing with here

(I know he's an Argo here, but Kerwin Bell was a starting Bomber QB in the late 90s...)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:12 PM

You guys are forgetting Brian Kelly, who ALSO was never caught from behind either.

Never got to see him live but my Dad always tells me when we talk about the Eskimos teams of old days, he maintains he's their best receiver ever.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:14 PM

Did Geroy Simon just stop existing...?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:06 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
You guys are forgetting Brian Kelly, who ALSO was never caught from behind either.

Never got to see him live but my Dad always tells me when we talk about the Eskimos teams of old days, he maintains he's their best receiver ever.
Another great one.

As is Geroy Simon as @Hawrylshyn pointed out.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:07 PM

Allen Pitts belongs in the conversation for best receiver of all-time.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What about Swervin' Mervyn Fernandez? Not a long career, but a great one.
Oh yeah. Killed the Ticats many a time, catching passes from Roy Dewalt.

I should have mentioned Geroy Simon. And of course, Darren Flutie who was great for three teams... two of which have "cat" connections.

Can't even make a list. Always someone who will not be mentioned... appreciate them all.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Allen Pitts belongs in the conversation for best receiver of all-time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada