HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
People who work in bagel shops live in the Bronx, Queens, SI, etc. -- not Manhattan. I work in Manhattan too, but I don't live there and haven't for many years.
Dont be so ignorant. Stop by Chinatown some time. Or Harlem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
Here's a question that's been on my mind for a while:

What's going to become of the highly trafficked curbside bus terminals,namely BoltBus and Megabus based on 33rd and 34th street? They're pretty bare bones, essentially just long lines catered by a few food carts, but I'm sure thousands of people go through there daily.

I can't picture them continuing to route doubledecker buses through what will eventually be a residential neighborhood. Will they finally construct a physical terminal somewhere else? Thoughts, insights or opinions?
Theres literally no plan.

There are some fan proposals to create a bus terminal inside the post office building across from penn station, as the lower level used to fit semi trucks.

Instead theyre making it an amtrak waiting room.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:00 PM

The curbside buses remain cheap for the simple reason being that they have no contractual agreement with any of the major bus terminals to stop there. Giving them an actual terminal would mean schedules, fare increases, building maintenance/rent costs, etc.

The latter half of the post office is to remain part of the post office until further notice. Mass transit by commuter rail seriously needs help in midtown more than the need for buses.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 7:49 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Mass transit by commuter rail seriously needs help in midtown more than the need for buses.
Point stands, though - where will the buses go? For most people (especially young'uns like myself), the rail and air system is far too expensive for a trip to Boston, Washington, Chicago, etc. and will likely remain so. At the time of writing this, a 3 AM Amtrak ticket (coach) from NY to DC will set you back nearly 150 dollars, with the price rising significantly during more amenable hours.

I can't afford to take a train every time I commute from NY to Baltimore - the buses are the only reasonable means of transportation for me and thousands of others. I'll be interested to see where they get punted too next.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it's a sea of cranes

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
Point stands, though - where will the buses go? For most people (especially young'uns like myself), the rail and air system is far too expensive for a trip to Boston, Washington, Chicago, etc. and will likely remain so. At the time of writing this, a 3 AM Amtrak ticket (coach) from NY to DC will set you back nearly 150 dollars, with the price rising significantly during more amenable hours.

I can't afford to take a train every time I commute from NY to Baltimore - the buses are the only reasonable means of transportation for me and thousands of others. I'll be interested to see where they get punted too next.
yeah i wonder about that - its an important service.

i notice the bumped out sanitation trucks are now lined up down 11th ave and across w29th & w28th sts. that cant last long. i think they are supposed to move down to that new garage in hudson sq on spring & the westside hwy.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah i wonder about that - its an important service.

i notice the bumped out sanitation trucks are now lined up down 11th ave and across w29th & w28th sts. that cant last long. i think they are supposed to move down to that new garage in hudson sq on spring & the westside hwy.
Buses to NYC should start and stop in Seacaucus and riders should ride the PATH into Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
The curbside buses remain cheap for the simple reason being that they have no contractual agreement with any of the major bus terminals to stop there. Giving them an actual terminal would mean schedules, fare increases, building maintenance/rent costs, etc.

The latter half of the post office is to remain part of the post office until further notice. Mass transit by commuter rail seriously needs help in midtown more than the need for buses.
Except they stop in terminals in DC and Boston. They dont in NYC simply because theres no where to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Buses to NYC should start and stop in Seacaucus and riders should ride the PATH into Manhattan.
Thats a poor idea. Youre forcing transit customers to make an inconvenient transfer, why, to protect single automobile capacity?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:14 PM

I saw on instagram that they're putting up the culture shed.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:00 AM
Walk taker

^ Found a photo. Credit to this photographer.

Also found a more recent video.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:49 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i took a bunch of pics - so here is a ride to the new hudson yards 7 train station a couple days after it opened

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:41 AM
Show me the blueprints

So there's going to be a second Subway entrance/exit?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:21 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yes of course. no way would one be a good idea. the second one is just to the north.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 4:38 PM

Tour Amtrak's Future Tunnels Beneath Hudson Yards
Thursday, October 15, 2015,
by Evan Bindelglass

Quote:
Eventually, these shells will hold actual rail tunnels for the Gateway Project, as its called. The project will create new tubes under the river for both Amtrak and New Jersey Transit trains. Additionally, NJ Transit's board voted Wednesday to go ahead with an environmental impact study that would be necessary for the project, according to The Record.

In recent months, officials have been trying to speed up the project. This month, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said officials are "taking important initial steps to accelerate long-stalled plans." In September, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Gov. Chris Christie asked the federal government to split the cost of the $20 billion project. The project could be complete by 2028.
They also have a video.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 10:38 PM

A few more of the 34 Street - Hudson Yards Subway Station.
All photos by John Hill.
http://archidose.blogspot.ca

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 9:16 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yesterday -- construction troops hard at work in crane village

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 9:23 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

and on the sw side of 11th avenue -- i think its the amtrak tunnel pit (???)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 3:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Will eventually be developed.

Last edited by chris08876; Dec 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

certainly related to hudson yards is a fresh $1B being poured into the javits convention center to expand and renovate it -- i guess it ain't moving to queens after all:

Cuomo Announces $1 Billion Expansion for Javits Center

By CHARLES V. BAGLIJAN. 7, 2016

On Thursday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo took another crack at it, unveiling a $1 billion expansion that would create more than one million square feet of event space and New York City’s largest ballroom at the six-block-long complex, which stretches from 34th to 40th Street. An airy glass addition at the northern end of the center would provide meeting rooms, new exhibition halls and outdoor space for conventioneers.

Under the plan, Javits North, a semipermanent structure currently anchoring the center’s 40th Street end, would eventually be demolished and replaced with a four-level garage for tractor-trailers bringing in displays and other equipment.

more:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/ny...r.html?_r=0and itr t

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 8:42 PM

....it looks like the mechanical unit air openings might be well integrated for once, into a building facade! Wild......and too bad 1WTC didn't get this same approach!!

-Mark Self
http://heightscalling.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 11:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just a review of whats in store. Also, 50 Hudson may actually be over 3 million square feet.

======================
http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/the-story

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development