HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:20 PM
Clamdigger

Demolition of Yellow House beside Best Western Plus

As I was driving from Dieppe onto Lewisville Road this morning, I noticed that demolition was taking place of the little yellow house beside the Best Western Plus. Don't know if they will also tear down the other small white house. Anyone know if there is a project planned for this corner?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. I always liked that house, but, it had fallen into serious disrepair over the last few years. I imagine they deemed it unsalvageable. Too bad.

I am not personally aware of any plans for that site.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:30 PM

Looks like it was sold at the end of last year (for below assessment). The lot is actually VERY deep.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:54 PM

Ideal spot for a busy commercial location or a decent apartment building considering you could connect up with the lighted intersection that is right there. Those houses were doomed long ago with the emergence of Lewisville as a major traffic artery.

One has to wonder if the owners of the building that houses Maritime Sports are making a land consolidation play and have some plans to redevelop.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 1:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a rumour floating about that the Petro Canada on Shediac Road just beyond the TCH overpass has been sold to Irving and that they intend to turn this property into a Big Stop. According to this rumour, Irving has also purchased substantial land in behind the gas station, close to the Kent Distribution Centre for the expansion.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

This could be true. This land is ideally situated between the Caledonia Industrial Park and the Harrisville Logistics Park. The Moncton East Business Park is also just down the road, so, lots of big rig traffic. I could see Irving being interested.

If they could get an access road directly through to this property from the Caledonia Industrial Park, this would be ideal. I doubt their immediate backdoor neighbour (the Kent Distribution Centre) would object. The only thing they would have to negotiate would be a crossing across the CNR mainline.
Thought Experiment:

I have done a little poking around on the PAOL website regarding recent land transactions in and around the Shediac Road Petro Canada station and the adjacent portion of the Caledonia Industrial Park, around the Kent Distribution Centre.

In the image below, there is a very interesting long and thin property along the back end of the Kent Distribution Centre which is not really good for much other than a roadway. There is little development potential along the north side of this property because of adjacent wetlands. This property is shaded in red, and sold relatively recently in 2020 for $236,000

I suppose Irving may have purchased this for possible future expansion of the distribution centre but, what if he had other intentions in mind........

I have taken the liberty to include a possible connecting roadway (in blue), leading to Shediac Road. This could extend along the edge of the consolidated property (in orange), including the current Petro Can station. I have taken the liberty of labelling this "Big Stop." All the properties enclosed by the orange box were purchased between 2018 & 2021. The larger parcel between the "Big Stop" and the distribution centre was purchased in 2014.

If Irving has purchased all these properties and consolidated them, then this would give him free rein (subject to city council and provincial approval) to construct a connector from the Caledonia Industrial Park to Shediac Road. Such a connector might be important in promoting transport truck customer access to a possible Big Stop.

What do you guys think? I profess no knowledge of any intent to build such a thing, but, rumours of a Big Stop here seem rampant, and such a connector seems logical to me.

Somebody has been buying up these properties recently, especially between 2018-21. I personally think there might be something afoot.........

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 11:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've known this for about a month, but, there is finally a media article about it.

Moncton's Royal Oaks Golf Club in receivership
Golf course expected to be open during receivership, court hears

Author of the article:Alan Cochrane
Published Apr 18, 2024 • 3 minute read
https://tj.news/moncton-miramichi/mo...n-receivership (paywall)

The golf course is expected to be open as per usual during the receivership. The only tangible change will be that the Crosswinds Restaurant has closed (at least temporarily). The article states that there is "a lot of interest" in people wanting to take over the course.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces