HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 11:41 PM

You have Leopalds for a little nightlife over there

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Hide yo kids hide yo wife another apartment complex in Bridgwater has been brought to life.

Man I can’t wait until the buildings in Bridgwater Centre are completed. With that, the new schools, and the construction of the recreation campus on Bison Dr this area is only going to get more walkable. And tbh in the summer Bridgwater is lowkey a vibe seeing a bunch of teenagers and young adults cycling around the neighborhood during the evening/night. All we need is some good nightlife and I might never have to leave the Southwest part of the city again. The rest of y’all should join the dark side and embrace our Waverley West overlords

Oh on another note, public engagement for the Bison/Waverley intersection should occur in the spring of next year.
Why are we celebrating mediocrity on here? This is shite. Niverville and Beausejour have these cookie cutters as well. Not something to write home about. It's not a vibe, it's a flatlining pulse.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Why are we celebrating mediocrity on here? This is shite. Niverville and Beausejour have these cookie cutters as well. Not something to write home about. It's not a vibe, it's a flatlining pulse.
It’s not really about the structure itself more about the massing, scale, and the fact that it’ll be oriented to the street despite being in the suburbs.

But there definitely are levels of quality between “mediocre” and “shit”. Sure it looks mediocre and a bit cookie cutter, but definitely doesn’t look like shit lol.

If you want examples of actual shit there’s plenty to be seen in the new construction on Sherbrook, or Pembina Highway that seems to have been celebrated by other forumers.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
It’s not really about the structure itself more about the massing, scale, and the fact that it’ll be oriented to the street despite being in the suburbs.

But there definitely are levels of quality between “mediocre” and “shit”. Sure it looks mediocre and a bit cookie cutter, but definitely doesn’t look like shit lol.

If you want examples of actual shit there’s plenty to be seen in the new construction on Sherbrook, or Pembina Highway that seems to have been celebrated by other forumers.
"Shit" construction on 2 high streets that are utilized on the regular and are not placing additional stresses on infrastructure will trump cookie cutter wood framed garbage in the far flung suburbs any day. Again, this could be Niverville, it could be Beausejour. Not setting the bar very high.

Also, what massing do you speak of? It's all one giant volume. Celebrating a mundane square mass oriented to the street in Waverly West is like celebrating the infill of a downtown lot with a one storey building with parking out front. These are all over Winnipeg. There's noting special or revolutionary for doing the bare minimum in the suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:56 PM

I don’t think Bridgwater or Waverley West will ever be walkable. They may have dense buildings built in them, but the layout and design of the roads and neighbourhoods kind of prohibits walkability. Even if this is built on a road, the roads are wide and designed for high speeds.

Pembina highway is also too wide and fast to be walkable. But I disagree about Sherbrook. It could be better, but it’s context means that it has the potential to be a thriving high street one day. A bit more density and affluence and the street should improve.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Oh on another note, public engagement for the Bison/Waverley intersection should occur in the spring of next year.
What could they possibly need to engage on? It's set-up originally for an interchange. But now Waverley is disconnected from PTH 100.

Extend Bison and make it a normal 4 way intersection. If there was ever talk of anything more, there's probably 10 locations nearby that I would choose over that location.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 7:24 PM

Stripmalls and box stores between two 80 km/hr highways is definitely not a "vibe" in the way I think you meant it thebasketballgeek

These far-flung suburban development threads aren't even necessary on this forum. We all know what suburban development looks like; it's the same all over Winnipeg and the same all over Canada. I'm pretty sure we all didn't end up on this forum to look at this shit.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 7:34 PM

Not clicking on the clearly-labelled thread would surely have been less effort than complaining about its contents.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Not clicking on the clearly-labelled thread would surely have been less effort than complaining about its contents.
O.K Elon.

It's a forum for discussion regarding urban development, architecture, construction, etc. Clearly many people aren't enamored with the W.W. development and utilize the thread dedicated to it to discuss and critique it, as is it's intention. No?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 7:46 PM

Ok fine, now I feel like discussing this objectively and channeling some of my urban planning education to justify why exactly this is a positive development for the neighbourhood and the city at large. Because truth be told we need development like this all over Winnipeg as it is a significant improvement over single-family detached garbage.

However, I got some more pressing matters to deal with right now so look forward to a very detailed write up tomorrow that addresses every single point y'all made.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Ok fine, now I feel like discussing this objectively and channeling some of my urban planning education to justify why exactly this is a positive development for the neighbourhood and the city at large. Because truth be told we need development like this all over Winnipeg as it is a significant improvement over single-family detached garbage.

However, I got some more pressing matters to deal with right now so look forward to a very detailed write up tomorrow that addresses every single point y'all made.
It's o.k, you can save the write up and flex. I too have urban planning education. Greenfield development of generic stick framed 4 story apartments and single family homes in exurban regions of the city where no resources, services, or amenities exist prior to development are a drain. Plain and simple.

No amount of attempted rationalization for far flung car dependent suburbs will convince me there are any redeeming qualities within W.W. But if you want to try and counter every existing study out there that echoes these sentiments you go ahead. You do you, or whatever the kids say these days.

This is a pulled from a study commissioned in Edmonton by one of the most progressive urbanists to hold the position of Mayor in Canada in the past 10 years:

"To service these areas, developers are contributing a significant amount of money – $3.84 billion, in fact. In addition, the City will spend $1.4 billion in capital to build additional infrastructure to support these communities – things like fire stations, parks, roads and interchanges etc. In turn, tax revenues and utility fees generated by these developments help to recover some of these costs.

However, when we consider the full life cycle of this infrastructure and the delivery of city services to these growth areas, the model shows a revenue shortfall of $1.4 billion over the next 50 years."

Do you know something that everyone else doesn't seem to?

Last edited by WestEndWander; Nov 8, 2022 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:48 PM

Thank you again WestEndWander for your response. I’m very glad to finally have my first actual dialogue with you because truth be told I agree with about 90% of the things you say on this board. Now that our ideals are clashing I am hoping for a productive discussion about how we can further bolster urban design in Winnipeg. I especially appreciate your open mindedness in terms of Waverley West with the statement “No amount of attempted rationalization for far flung car dependent suburbs will convince me there are any redeeming qualities within W.W.” I’ll save your response for last because there is a lot to unearth in your statements. However, feel free to look at the post as a whole because you might learn a thing or two.

Firstly, I want to explicitly state that I wasn’t referring to Waverley West as a whole on a macro scale. I was just referring to a project occurring in Bridgwater Centre. Now I’m sure you guys have seen my prior posts regarding Waverley West where I vehemently criticize the land use patterns for the majority of the area. However, when it comes to Bridgwater Centre the land use and zoning is actually something I would even regard as excellent. The zoning map below showcases Commercial Mixed Use zoning in purple, commercial only zoning in red, and Residential Multi Family zoning in brown.

Just for anyone not familiar with what can be built on commercial mixed use zoning, think of the 5 over 1s that are popping up all over North America which is essentially 5 floors of residential on top of 1 floor of commercial with an active street front. Waterfront Drive has the most prominent collection of these types of buildings in Winnipeg. Because of this zoning let’s take a look at how the proposed buildings for Bridgwater Centre would look in plan view. The white block on the east side is for a future recreation campus that has gotten funding approved from all three levels of government. The buildings east of the recreation centre are two schools providing k-12 education for residents in the area. There will also be a fire hall constructed in that general area. The building in black is the proposed development I was initially discussing

As you can see most buildings are not going to have any sort of setback and face the road without any nonsensical parking to hinder the aesthetic and vibe. Now this brings me to my first response to GreyGarden who said the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I don’t think Bridgwater or Waverley West will ever be walkable. They may have dense buildings built in them, but the layout and design of the roads and neighbourhoods kind of prohibits walkability. Even if this is built on a road, the roads are wide and designed for high speeds.

Pembina highway is also too wide and fast to be walkable. But I disagree about Sherbrook. It could be better, but it’s context means that it has the potential to be a thriving high street one day. A bit more density and affluence and the street should improve.
So for some reason there is a misconception in the community that the roads in Bridgwater are wide. In fact Centre Street, which is our “high street” only has 1 lane on each side of the road with on street parking. Here’s a picture of Centre Street to show what it actually looks like.

When the sidewalk is wider then the road how can anyone say with a straight face this is an area hostile to pedestrians? I certainly feel much more relaxed walking here then walking on Sherbrook which is a 1-way traffic hellhole with a puny little bike lane. Nevermind the other supposed "high streets" in the west end like Ellice, Sargent, or god forbid Portage.

Believe it or not Centre St actually has the same amount of road space as Waterfront Drive which is widely regarded as excellent urban design. There is a caveat that it also has a median boulevard with a pedestrian refuge in the middle of the street which limits the amount of time you are in a conflicting zone with a car. In comparison Waterfront Drive only provides a pedestrian refuge on the intersection at Bannatyne with the roundabout. As I have tested before it only takes me about 4 seconds to cross Centre St before I avoid an area of conflict and 10 seconds to cross the whole street. Compared to crossing a street like Pembina which takes roughly double the time too cross without any sort of barrier or refuge so it is 20 seconds of being in a conflicting zone with vehicles.

Now this is a perfect segway to address Kris22’s comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Stripmalls and box stores between two 80 km/hr highways is definitely not a "vibe" in the way I think you meant it thebasketballgeek

These far-flung suburban development threads aren't even necessary on this forum. We all know what suburban development looks like; it's the same all over Winnipeg and the same all over Canada. I'm pretty sure we all didn't end up on this forum to look at this shit.
I already discussed how the land use works to create a pedestrian friendly environment so no need to say anymore on that. Although I can even expand this to the intersection crossings at Kenaston. Sure the speeds get up to 80km/h, but we have to consider that pedestrians only have to cross 2 lanes rather than the typical 6-8 lane intersection seen on the rest of streets like Kenaston. As a result, I surprisingly feel quite safe crossing Kenaston in Bridgwater, but I can’t say the same when I am crossing Kenaston on Scurfield, Sterling Lyon, McGillivary, or even Grant.

So now let’s address the idea presented by both Kriss22 and WestEndWander about Waverley West being a “far-flung suburban development.”

As you all are aware by now I do reside in Waverley West, however, I am only 12 km away from Downtown. Virtually the same distance as Transcona, Westwood, and Assiniboine Park. However, what has been ignored by the majority of people who state this is a far flung suburb is the fact that I am also only 4km away from our provinces biggest University, and 2km away from my nearest rapid transit station (Chancellor Station). I would argue that Waverley West is actually more interconnected with the parts of the city that actually matter than a lot of suburbs that are even closer to Downtown Winnipeg. Also, being near Kenaston and Bishop Grandin provides me a direct route to the cities 3 biggest shopping centres. In which 2 of them I can cycle too quite easily.

Oh yea I almost forgot to discuss the fact that Waverley West has the second best active transportation infrastructure in the city besides the Exchange District. Realistically St. Boniface should hold this title but they don’t even have bike lanes on Marion, St Mary’s or Provencher so they’re disqualified. Let’s take a look at the cities cycling map.

You see all that large concentration of green lines in the southwest part of the city? Yea that’s Waverley West. I would even go so far as to say I have never seen a suburban community anywhere in North America with as much active transportation infrastructure that Waverley West provides. As a result of this extensive system, I am able to cycle to virtually any part of the city and have roughly 85-90% of my ride on a separated path away from traffic. This is a privilege that has allowed me and many others in the community to stay in pretty good physical condition. To add to that, this summer I tried to use my car as little as possible, and found out that I was able to essentially remove 80% of my automobile trips by cycling. In comparison when I was visiting my cousin in Brampton, I could not cycle anywhere without fearing for my life. Could you believe that there is a direct bike lane to a Walmart and Costco in suburban Winnipeg. You would be hard pressed to find that type of infrastructure in suburban Vancouver nevermind a city as small as Winnipeg.

So WestEndWander, it’s finally time to respond to your comments.

Quote:
It's o.k, you can save the write up and flex. I too have urban planning education. Greenfield development of generic stick framed 4 story apartments and single family homes in exurban regions of the city where no resources, services, or amenities exist prior to development are a drain. Plain and simple.

No amount of attempted rationalization for far flung car dependent suburbs will convince me there are any redeeming qualities within W.W. But if you want to try and counter every existing study out there that echoes these sentiments you go ahead. You do you, or whatever the kids say these days.

This is a pulled from a study commissioned in Edmonton by one of the most progressive urbanists to hold the position of Mayor in Canada in the past 10 years:

"To service these areas, developers are contributing a significant amount of money – $3.84 billion, in fact. In addition, the City will spend $1.4 billion in capital to build additional infrastructure to support these communities – things like fire stations, parks, roads and interchanges etc. In turn, tax revenues and utility fees generated by these developments help to recover some of these costs.

However, when we consider the full life cycle of this infrastructure and the delivery of city services to these growth areas, the model shows a revenue shortfall of $1.4 billion over the next 50 years."

Do you know something that everyone else doesn't seem to?
Firstly, we have to understand that regardless of what area of the city one lives in that with enough reform to land use that every single suburban community, small town, or inner city in Manitoba can be walkable and not be a drain to the cities finances. This is the 15 minute community model that is prevalent all over suburbs in Europe and NYC. I would argue that because of our climate we should be striving for 5 minute cities. To make that a reality that inherently means suburbs need to be densified and reintroduce corner stores. Not everyone can or wants to live near the inner city and I think that should be respected. Therefore, when I see a development positively affecting a communities quality of life by enhancing walkability REGARDLESS OF AREA I will champion it. If we didn’t want Waverley West to exist then it should have not been approved back in 2005 (which was spearheaded by our “urbanist” mayor btw). Now that the community exists, don’t you think that unequivocally bashing the area instead of figuring out ways to improve is counterproductive to what planners strive for?

Regarding my education, don’t worry the faculty still states that sprawl is terrible despite the hypocritical design choices of the Russell building having a parking lot and everything about smartpark but that’s another discussion. In fact not to brag or anything, but most professors actually commend me for having a knowledge of urban affairs well beyond my years, and I currently have an A+ in my City Planning class with Rae Bridgman despite still being in my undergraduate program. So let’s just say I know a thing or two.

Back to the project that was initially being discussed on a micro scale. I’m going to present a scenario to you.

I am a young adult who just got recently married and is planning to have 2 kids. My wife is an educator for a high school and I am pursuing my career as an urban designer at AECOM. Luckily for us my wife was able to secure a job at the new high school being built on Bison Drive which also has a K-8 school and massive recreation campus adjacent to the site. I found a 3 bedroom apartment in Bridgwater Centre designed by Paragon. The first thing I realize is that I am 500 metres away from Altea Active which is a 120,000 sq ft gym. Then I look for my nearest grocery store and see Save-on-Foods is also 500 metres away on the other direction. Within this 500 metre radius because of the CMU zoning I have all of my essentials I need.

Fast forward a few years later and my kids are ready to attend school. The school is a bit further away at about 1.3km away from my apartment. However, we are within the school bus radius and because of our extensive active transportation system I can confidently allow my kids to cycle or walk to school without any worry. Because all of my core services are within my 15 minute radius of walking I make the decision to not own a car and save thousands of dollars per year which I can use for investment, or to store away for my children’s post secondary education should they pursue that path in life.

“But what about going outside the neighbourhood.”

Well my friend let me introduce you to the rapid transit long term network plan. Essentially there will be 6 different busses operating in Bridgwater Centre which are the following: The O-line which will run from Red River College to U of M via Kenaston BLVD, the P line which goes from St. Norbert to U of M via Kenaston and Bison DR. Both of these busses will have 10 minute headways which is quite adequate for a “far flung suburb.” then 4 other routes which take me too Fort Richmond, Southwest Transitway, and 2 more busses that terminate at the U of M. Since AECOM is on Kenaston BLVD I just need to walk 100 metres to my station on the intersection of Centre St/Bison Dr, and am able to take the O line to commute to work everyday. In the summer I can bike there comfortably as the Kenaston bike lane gets completed.

I don’t see a problem with this kind of living at all. It is sustainable, equitable, and allows flexibility in mode of transportation. Bridgwater Centre by definition is a 15 minute neighbourhood although it might be more accurate to call it a 10 minute neighbourhood. Safety is also quite nice to have here because truth be told I can at least walk down the street after 9pm without fearing for my safety. Something I wouldn’t be able to do in the West End for example.

To conclude my dialogue, this framing of essentially 3,000 acres of land to be considered all bad showcases a lack of nuance in this discussion that would usually be present in planning circles. Furthermore, stating that every part of a development is bad because of your preconceived notions about suburban sprawl also lacks historical precedent. I say this because virtually every single neighbourhood in Winnipeg besides Downtown and St. Norbert was at its origin an edge of city neighbourhood. Whether that be Osborne Village, the West End, or even Elmwood. Therefore, at one point the majority of neighbourhoods in Winnipeg could have been classified as “suburban sprawl.”

Hopefully I was able to shed some light on why I believe that certain elements of Waverley West are actually good, and maybe changed your view on how to approach suburban sprawl. For this reason I wrote a 2,000 word excerpt with visuals and pictures in 3 hours. The crazy thing is I'm just scratching the surface on this topic and stopped here because I don't want too shut down this argument with one reply. I have deliberately put holes in my argument to see if you are able to spot and respond too accordingly so I can gauge just how much you understand about this topic.

The thing is while you might be interested or even passionate about urban planning, I fucking eat, sleep, and breath urban planning. My whole life essentially revolves around understanding spaces and thinking of ways that Winnipeg can improve and one day be a world class city and pioneer of urban development. If you truly have that same conviction and purpose than I encourage you to reply and dissect the points I’ve made.

As the young folk like me say, “there’s levels to this shit.”

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 9:23 PM

Great post Basketballgeek, definitely a different perspective than the usual. Looking forward to reading the "but it isn't downtown" or "but mature neighborhoods could be densified instead of building new infrastructure" rebuttals coming your way which absolutely miss the points that you are making.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 9:44 PM

[/QUOTE]The thing is while you might be interested or even passionate about urban planning, I fucking eat, sleep, and breath urban planning. My whole life essentially revolves around understanding spaces and thinking of ways that Winnipeg can improve and one day be a world class city and pioneer of urban development. If you truly have that same conviction and purpose than I encourage you to reply and dissect the points I’ve made.

As the young folk like me say, “there’s levels to this shit.”[/QUOTE]

Yes, my education and current job position certainly shows a level of interest in urban planning that is non comparable to yours. I commend your non graduate knowledge. I suggest as opposed to eating and sleeping it you diversify your view points. Take a stroll over to the other studios.

I'm sorry to say that the minute you started your argument based on zoning I tuned out. If you think zoning schemes on paper are an indicator of successful design you have much to learn in regards to city building. Zoning and it's regulations are by far the biggest hinderance to progressive city development.

I am glad you enjoy the false urbanity created out in W.W. and that it is close you for a variety of things for you as well. That's great. That is why you should choose a neighborhood based on those considerations. That doesn't change the fact that it is a greenfield development comprised largely of single family homes with some mixed use tossed in for good measure on the absolute periphery of the city with current limited or non existent services. I just prefer my urbanity to be authentic and you know, actually urban. I too live in a mature neighborhood with endless A.T opportunities and transit options. Super!

When you decide to address the financial impacts that developments such as these place on existing services and taxpayers I may pay some attention. You seem to completely ignore the most important part of the argument in this instance. You may begin to understand that the base line do the least possible of suburban design does not enhance the city overall. For anyone.

I loathe having land use plans from WSP and other places of that ilk come across my desk as they are the least imaginative and forward thinking documents I come across. Make some cool shapes on parcels of land, color them in, create some imaginary roads and away you go! Its not a successful means of building cohesive and complete communities. City building is not done form the top down over a few layers of trace and obscure open ended policy. It's why the FAUM has been examining for years how to improve and diversify the C.P program.

I commend you on your thought out post but as mentioned it did not change my mind and only further served to reinforce the general banality of developments such as this. Enjoy your levels!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I have deliberately put holes in my argument to see if you are able to spot and respond too accordingly so I can gauge just how much you understand about this topic. ”
The biggest hole in your "argument" is that you did not touch on the financial aspect of this type of development. You wrote an opinion piece on why YOU think Waverly West is good. That is great. All current studies on the topic say the exact opposite.

The fact that you list the construction of all these new city services (fire hall, school, inevitable police station, etc.) as a good thing shows that you have no real grasp on the issues Winnipeg faces. All of those resources are already stretched to the limit and you want to use their further expansion as some harbinger of success?

Present some real world data that displays how this type of development is beneficial for any community. You have long way to go. Anyone can cut and paste arguments from a land use planning textbook. Tell me exactly why W.W is good for Winnipeg. Not just you.

Until then I will continue to take the word of peer reviewed professionals in published articles.

When you enter the professional world you're going to encounter some hard truths about what is actually successful, what works, and what just absolutely screws a communities bottom line. Hint: it's suburban development.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Also, is the shit you speak of the sea of empty parking lots behind the faux high street with no actual shop entrances on them? Why are they all one story. Should the 5 over 1 not be dominating the high street as opposed to low rise commercial? Why no residential in all the sea of parking everywhere. Ohhhhh right, it's all car centric. The endless network of non grid 60km/hr+ roads can tell you that.

Or it is that of the total area of W.W this one small little instance concerns less than 5% the total land involved?

Long way to go before you convince me this is some revolutionary design because the more I look at it the easier to pick apart it becomes. It is the least anyone could do, and they've done it.

Hooray for a few less single family residences. Exurban neighborhoods all over the city are slapping up 5-6 story condos and apartments. Doesn't mean that they are all of a sudden champions of good design.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:

And on that note I am done. W.W is a hole and you won't convince me otherwise. As mentioned I commend you on your long post and your point of view. That's great if it works for you. Just don't expect everyone to try and find the same positives, no matter what grades you get or how many pats on the head you get form your teachers.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:55 PM

Hmm an interesting response to say the least.

Quote:
Yes, my education and current job position certainly shows a level of interest in urban planning that is non comparable to yours. I commend your non graduate knowledge. I suggest as opposed to eating and sleeping it you diversify your view points. Take a stroll over to the other studios.
Bold of you too assume I don't regularly view what's going on around my studio. It's from the projects I see in Interiors or Architecture that helps me reimagine what can be done within a municipality whether it's in the inner city or edge of the city.

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that the minute you started your argument based on zoning I tuned out. If you think zoning schemes on paper are an indicator of successful design you have much to learn in regards to city building. Zoning and it's regulations are by far the biggest hinderance to progressive city development.
That's a rather crude statement. I never once stated that zoning schemes are the sole indicator of successful design. What is clear is that the zoning patterns in this portion of Waverley West allows for more flexibility in what is constructed compared to most other neighbourhoods in the city. In fact zoning is necessary in a city so that manufacturing isn't next to a school for example. Too brush that off by stating zoning regulations are by far the biggest hindrance is simply wrong, and saying you tuned out after zoning means you don't want to engage in the nitty and gritty details of a city. Sure the structure of zoning can and should be relaxed but there must be a base skeleton too work out of. How can you say I have much to learn in city building, when the role of a city planner is too have the complete understanding of how a city can successfully and sustainably function. That's like saying an Architect has much too learn about a building because they focus too much on wall details. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I am glad you enjoy the false urbanity created out in W.W. and that it is close you for a variety of things for you as well. That's great. That is why you should choose a neighborhood based on those considerations. That doesn't change the fact that it is a greenfield development comprised largely of single family homes with some mixed use tossed in for good measure on the absolute periphery of the city with current limited or non existent services. I just prefer my urbanity to be authentic and you know, actually urban. I too live in a mature neighborhood with endless A.T opportunities and transit options. Super!
False urbanity? 4km away I go to a place with the most pedestrian activity in the city using a bus that's only 10 minutes away from said area. I wonder if this is how people in Downtown Winnipeg felt in the early 1900s when Osborne Village was starting to be developed...

There is not one detached single-family house in Bridgwater Centre itself and are replaced by middle housing which is housing stock that every municipality needs. In fact, if we even look at the area near South Pointe School the majority of units being constructed are multi-family housing. Same thing with the new K-12 education facilities in Bison Run. I was taking a bike ride down to South Pointe area one day and saw that the bike racks were full like it was the Netherlands. That just doesn't happen in other parts of the city. Idk but having a bunch of cyclists running their errands and able too commute seems like quite an urban and sustainable lifestyle too me. Seeing the 672 and 676 packed during rush hour and with healthy ridership during off-peak hours doesn't really scream an exurban feel.

Yes there is single-family housing construction occurring in Waverley West, but according to the City of Winnipeg the area accounts for roughly 40% of all multi-family housing construction in the city. Nobody is stopping other parts of the city too build more housing, but it's simply not happening. Why isn't St. Boniface trying to build more infill for starters? There needs to be an understanding in the real world that demand matters, and even if you disagree with the area the fact of the matter is people want too live there. So when an area is high in demand then supply must keep up and that simply means more and more intensification efforts.

Furthermore, as I stated before Waverley West is a community ward that includes 3 rapid transit stations, god knows how many km of bike lanes and are making targeted densification efforts as seen with projects such as the North Campus expansion which plans to have 10,000 units. Refinery District infill is only a few km away. These types of developments only feed off each other and invoke a critical mass that can induce a vibrant space. That is why for example an area like Fort Richmond despite it's open hostility to pedestrians on Pembina highway still generates pedestrian traffic that even inner-city neighbourhoods in Winnipeg sometimes struggle too attract. At a certain point no matter how shit or erroneous land use patterns are if there enough people there will be activity. The question now arises if the city can utilize this increasing density to our advantage. If not,

Quote:
When you decide to address the financial impacts that developments such as these place on existing services and taxpayers I may pay some attention. You seem to completely ignore the most important part of the argument in this instance. You may begin to understand that the base line do the least possible of suburban design does not enhance the city overall. For anyone.
Again this is missing the entire point of my post. I am not pro suburban sprawl by any means. I just realized that this is a neighbourhood that has existed for a decade now and has been integrated to the cities ecosystem for better or for worse. In fact I believe the city should not expand further then this development so that we can play catch up and actually develop our existing infrastructure. If we are to be believed that this will be the edge of the city for the forseeable future then the only thing left is too figure out how to fix the hole we got ourselves in.

So the financial impacts that developments place on existing services is obvious with the mountains of studies provided, but can be altered by land use. Which means RELAX zoning regulations to allow for more flexibility and too allow for more efficient land uses. I'm sure you would agree with me that even adding a corner store too a predominantly residential area would significantly increase walkability in said area. It's not rocket science it just requires political will.

Quote:
I loathe having land use plans from WSP and other places of that ilk come across my desk as they are the least imaginative and forward thinking documents I come across. Make some cool shapes on parcels of land, color them in, create some imaginary roads and away you go! Its not a successful means of building cohesive and complete communities. City building is not done form the top down over a few layers of trace and obscure open ended policy. It's why the FAUM has been examining for years how to improve and diversify the C.P program.

I commend you on your thought out post but as mentioned it did not change my mind and only further served to reinforce the general banality of developments such as this. Enjoy your levels!
So what is forward thinking for you? And what exactly do you mean by obscure open ended policy? The FAUM program of course is always examining how to diversify and improve the C.P program. Just like they have been doing for architecture, landscape architecture, and interior design. It's kind of their jobs you know.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The biggest hole in your "argument" is that you did not touch on the financial aspect of this type of development. You wrote an opinion piece on why YOU think Waverly West is good. That is great. All current studies on the topic say the exact opposite.
Suburban sprawl is not good at the way it's currently constructed. However, let me reiterate that a lot of problems with suburban sprawl can be resolved. The reality is that the City of Winnipeg will be growing and growing for our whole lifetimes. With that in mind either we start getting our shit together and target specific areas for infill growth, or let the same problems consume us over and over again. The Bison and Waverley intersection has about 17.5 hectares of open field to be developed. Put high density, pedestrian friendly mixed use spaces there and all of a sudden it again boosts the surrounding neighbourhoods and sets precedent for infill development too occur. Because with enough population density any type of suburban sprawl can be profitable for a city.

Quote:
The fact that you list the construction of all these new city services (fire hall, school, inevitable police station, etc.) as a good thing shows that you have no real grasp on the issues Winnipeg faces. All of those resources are already stretched to the limit and you want to use their further expansion as some harbinger of success?
I lived in the North End before believe me I know exactly what issues the city of Winnipeg faces. However, if they can't get developers to build in the north end then there needs to be zoning relaxations in other parts of the city to induce development.

Quote:
Present some real world data that displays how this type of development is beneficial for any community. You have long way to go. Anyone can cut and paste arguments from a land use planning textbook. Tell me exactly why W.W is good for Winnipeg. Not just you.
Simple, lets look at the demographics of Waverley West. It is arguably the most diverse area in Winnipeg. People of all genders, sexual orientations, and colour are easily accepted here. As a minority I feel far more comfortable in Waverley West compared to when I lived in St. Vital. It's an area that is easy for kids to be independent in. And the population explosion of the area has allowed for more small businesses to flourish. When people with a bit of money move to Winnipeg, Waverley West has kind of become the area a lot of people start with now. When my relatives from other parts of the continent come to visit me they are impressed with the general livability of the neighbourhood further bolstering the outsiders perception of Winnipeg.

Quote:
Until then I will continue to take the word of peer reviewed professionals in published articles.

When you enter the professional world you're going to encounter some hard truths about what is actually successful, what works, and what just absolutely screws a communities bottom line. Hint: it's suburban development.
So let's go back to reality then. If people don't want too live in the city and we stop building this sprawl then they will move too exurban communities where we get none of the tax revenue. It appears that most people in this community as well as Sage Creek don't seem to mind the density that has been constructed. I live next to townhouses and view it as a welcome site to the area.

What works if areas that generate more revenue then the services they drain. I am by no means stating that Waverley West does that right now, but with the right initiatives and intensification efforts it can generate more revenue then the services they require in the future.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Also, is the shit you speak of the sea of empty parking lots behind the faux high street with no actual shop entrances on them? Why are they all one story. Should the 5 over 1 not be dominating the high street as opposed to low rise commercial? Why no residential in all the sea of parking everywhere. Ohhhhh right, it's all car centric. The endless network of non grid 60km/hr+ roads can tell you that.
Yes because that's how the commercial was zoned. However, since the buildings already face the street when the community gets the 5 over 1s constructed and there's more pedestrian activity businesses will adjust and start providing their entrance to the street. Furthermore, when street parties or events are thrown on Centre St guess what they actually open their street front entrance. Just need too make it more consistent and in a few years

Quote:
Or it is that of the total area of W.W this one small little instance concerns less than 5% the total land involved?
Well maybe you didn't know this but Bridgwater Centre won't be the only town centre in Waverley West. The development occurring on the intersection of Waverley and Kenaston will also be primarily commercial and mixed use which adding both together equates closer too 20% of the total land involved.

Quote:
Long way to go before you convince me this is some revolutionary design because the more I look at it the easier to pick apart it becomes. It is the least anyone could do, and they've done it.

Hooray for a few less single family residences. Exurban neighborhoods all over the city are slapping up 5-6 story condos and apartments. Doesn't mean that they are all of a sudden champions of good design.
It's hard too picture because the area is incomplete. But I have a feeling people will be a lot more receptive 3 years from now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan