HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 9:35 PM
danylo66

Exciting to see that something may finally start here, although I haven't seen the city actually put the property up for sale in a transparent, public way. Who is behind CBB Ltd.?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 11:53 PM

The Caswell Bus Barns is an interesting concept. I'd certainly like to see it come to fruition, however, I'd be somewhat surprised. Even if there is a new arena built in the proposed downtown location, I feel this CBB development is just a bit too far off the beaten path to succeed. Hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo66 View Post
Exciting to see that something may finally start here, although I haven't seen the city actually put the property up for sale in a transparent, public way. Who is behind CBB Ltd.?
The address listed under contact info is the office of Bldg Studio, so that's one of the players.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
The Caswell Bus Barns is an interesting concept. I'd certainly like to see it come to fruition, however, I'd be somewhat surprised. Even if there is a new arena built in the proposed downtown location, I feel this CBB development is just a bit too far off the beaten path to succeed. Hope I'm wrong.
I would agree...I am hopeful and wish it all the success, but I just feel it's location may prevent it from reaching its potential.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo66 View Post
Here's a bunch of details on it.
https://www.saskatoon.ca/business-de...-redevelopment

I thought I'd heard that there was someone ready to go through the initial rfp/tender process right before covid hit, who then pulled out due to uncertainty regarding the pandemic, then it appears the process was restarted, leading this group.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:50 AM

sooo funny! people be like from any corner of town and always go to the big boxes, Preston crossing from 11street, whatever, but here? to Caswell, near downtown? Make it happen! build it, give it something people want and they will come...as long as they can park for free! haha

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:42 AM

The Caswell proposal reminds me of Ritchie Market in Edmonton. That part of Edmonton has become one of the most exciting and energetic parts of the city, in large part due to the Market and the businesses located there/in the vicinity. I'd love to see the Barns redeveloped into something similar, even if the area is not ideal (right now ). I'd rather see them repurposed into a unique-if-flawed development than sit empty or be torn down.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:51 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
sooo funny! people be like from any corner of town and always go to the big boxes, Preston crossing from 11street, whatever, but here? to Caswell, near downtown? Make it happen! build it, give it something people want and they will come...as long as they can park for free! haha
Yeah, people in Saskatoon are willing to drive to out-of-the-way locations if the product or service offerings are good enough. Victoria is a few blocks off Broadway but Homestead and Las Palapas are very busy. Stumbletown and Lucky Bastard are very out of the way in the North Industrial area but they don't seem to struggle for business. Fable, October, and D'Lish are all in the middle of random neighbourhoods but they are very popular too.

And even for people that don't drive, the bus barns are two blocks off of a future BRT stop and 23rd is a main east-west bike route from DT all the way to Circle Drive.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:07 PM

There is a small cluster of positive investment in South Caswell already that does signal that this area can be a node of activity/interest that the Bus Barns can build upon. The Eatons Lofts, AODBT offices, Bldg Studio building renovation, Night Owl Bakery moving over from City Park....

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriverYXE View Post

Construction update in Evergreen, not sure if this is the Baydo building though but this was the tallest building in the area.
Yes those are baydo buildings I believe 4 buildings total on that site for them.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 10:44 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Very cool! Thanks for the heads up! I'll attend if I can, but I'm in Edmonton right now and might not make it back in time.

Sidenote for Coldrsx, Edmonton is looking great these days --- it's really grown up and filled in nicely in the 10+ years since I lived there. Even a short visit makes me want to move back. Anyway, thanks again for mentioning the event on Tuesday.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 1:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Did anyone attend this?

Any interesting insight?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Did anyone attend this?

Any interesting insight?
Article in today's Star Phoenix on event. Nothing very news worthy.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-centre-trends

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 2:41 AM

We attended the Stantec presentation. (note... the Roxy is a great little theater... )
They wanted to make it clear that city property taxes are not funding this project.
They talked about investment in the downtown entertainment district creates investment in commerce, housing, retail, etc. Successful downtowns are a small percentage of the total city... but over 30% of the tax base.
Currently, they estimate approx. 3,500 people live downtown... and their future Saskatoon downtown exceeds 10,000. They added that Saskatoon has tremendous potential... in investment from BHP, U. of Sask., Rare earth minerals head office here, Agriculture, Nutrien HQ., etc.
The creation of of a downtown entertainment district should be an every day space, filled with restaurants, retail, greenspace, winter space... a place for community to gather. They've learned that these public spaces are important for the future of downtown living.. adding that we all want to be proud of their public spaces.
Also mentioned is the future BRT transportation system being built this year.
Another mention is finding what was unique to Saskatoon.. and highlighting that to attract tourism. Their take on it was embracing our Indigenous Culture throughout this project.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:23 AM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:39 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LSaskatoon View Post
Also mentioned is the future BRT transportation system being built this year.
Just curious, have full plans for the BRT been released? I think I've seen rough routing, station locations, etc., but I'm not sure I've seen a complete set of plans.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LSaskatoon View Post
Another mention is finding what was unique to Saskatoon.. and highlighting that to attract tourism. Their take on it was embracing our Indigenous Culture throughout this project.
Used to be Fuddruckers, but now Regina's in on the fun.

Would love to see them take this to heart and develop the arena/public spaces with indigenous elements. The renders of the arena thus far are awfully bland and uninteresting.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Just curious, have full plans for the BRT been released? I think I've seen rough routing, station locations, etc., but I'm not sure I've seen a complete set of plans.
https://images.app.goo.gl/yajCd6EjLgg6cxvV6

I've been to the information sessions since it began in 2018.. very thought out. Key features for me was the transit villages at the outside.. to 'park and ride' .. the informative bus shelters.. and using an app for fares.
I applied and attended the BRT naming and branding meeting last fall. Initially, the announcement for the name of our rapid transit system and the beginning of construction was to be late fall 2022...with full operation June 1, 2025.

Haven't heard anything since...
IMO... there's delays associated with planning around the possible Arena and Entertainent district.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan