HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Isabella and Ava Holmgren went 1-2 for the Junior Women World Championships in Hoogerheide this year. This is the first time Canada has podiumed in the sport, let alone Isabella being Jr World Champion.

A bit of background: Isabella and Ava are twin sisters and their entire family dominate cyclocross in Ontario. I think this is the first year that they've raced most of the season in Europe with them doing well in the world cups including Ava winning at Besancon a week ago.
They also raced a couple of elite level events. It was great to see. There were some pretty good results over all this weekend.

But you got to see Micheal Van den Ham snapping his finger back in place on the first lap of the Mens open.

Another note, Sidney McGill in the women's open is the Only élite women to Race ALL the Worlds Cups this year.
Mens under 23
Evan Russell 32nd
Cody Scot 36
Womens Under 23
Christine Bilodea 31 Also local club rider here.
Junior Women
Isabella Holmgren 1st She is 27 on the UCI WC elite rankings
Ava Holmgren 2nd She also moved up to 22 on the UCI WC rankings
Madeleine Pollock 38
Geza Rodgers 41
Junior Men
Ian Ackert 11th. Was also on the podium in a World Cup Race
Mike Comiuk 43
Filipe Duarte 62
Cam McCallum 70
Womens Elite
Maghalie Rochette 9 She is 37on the UCI WC rankings
Sidney McGill 25 (Also a teammate). She is 25 on the UCI WC rankings
Mens Elite
Michael Van Den Ham 33

Pretty good overall in the women’s Elite out of 684 listed riders.

Canada finished 7th in the team event

Last edited by Airboy; Feb 5, 2023 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The famous pee wee hockey tournament that coincides with the Carnaval in Quebec City has rolled out the red carpet for a team of kids from Ukraine this year.

A group of local businesspeople even took care of many of the requirements that allowed them to come over.

They're being treated like NHL stars with news conferences and a considerable media buzz.

Their first game is expected to have a sellout crowd cheering them on. (Though large crowds are fairly typical for this tournament.)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:13 PM

^ That is lovely. I hadn't heard about it, thanks for filling us in.

It reminds me of the recent Hockey Can't Stop tour of the Ukraine mens U25 team which went through western Canada playing several university teams.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Cool! Looks like a good crowd too. Nice to send the message that they are not alone.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Cool! Looks like a good crowd too. Nice to send the message that they are not alone.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 6:38 PM
ハルウララ

The HFX Wanderers and Atletico Ottawa will be playing a neutral site Canadian Championship match in April in Toronto due to inability to host for either team. Because of this HFX will be sending a plane of supporters to Toronto for the match - $400 covers round-trip travel, tickets to the match, and a gameday lunch with the players. They've already sold out the allotted spaces available.

We don't really have organized supporter travel for sport in Canada so fun to see those sorts of things come through. This one in particular has been organized by the team itself so that they can at least have some supporters at the match.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:40 PM

That's awesome! Very European vibes (@Welcome to Wrexham away game episodes). What's the reason neither team can host??

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
That's awesome! Very European vibes (@Welcome to Wrexham away game episodes). What's the reason neither team can host??
Halifax can't supposedly because it's early April and tough on their grass (Calgary also opted out for the first round for the same reason IIRC) and Ottawa could not guarantee home date availability with OSEG for the championship, so had to opt out of hosting altogether.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 6:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The famous pee wee hockey tournament that coincides with the Carnaval in Quebec City has rolled out the red carpet for a team of kids from Ukraine this year.

A group of local businesspeople even took care of many of the requirements that allowed them to come over.

They're being treated like NHL stars with news conferences and a considerable media buzz.

Their first game is expected to have a sellout crowd cheering them on. (Though large crowds are fairly typical for this tournament.)
FYI they won their first game 3-1 against the Boston Junior Bruins.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 6:58 PM

^ I showed my kid some footage, he was blown away by the huge crowds to watch kids only a couple years older than him!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:25 PM
Community Guy

Multiple sources confirmed to CTV News that an Alberta group is putting together a potential bid to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Calgary, and surrounding communities, and might make the proposal public early next month. Edmonton last hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978, although the city made formal bids for both 2022 and 2026 that were withdrawn.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/joint-cal...eid=b81cde227f

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Multiple sources confirmed to CTV News that an Alberta group is putting together a potential bid to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Calgary, and surrounding communities, and might make the proposal public early next month. Edmonton last hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978, although the city made formal bids for both 2022 and 2026 that were withdrawn.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/joint-cal...eid=b81cde227f
I feel that adding Calgary is the group's bet that they would actually get GoA backing.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:26 PM

Good for them, but it seems to me that these multisport events other than the Olympics (Pan Am and Commonwealth, mainly) cost way more than they're worth. Even the Olympics might fall into that category, now that I think about it.

How many people watch them, or are even aware of them when they aren't happening in your city? How many people know where the last Commonwealth or Pan Am Games were?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 7:07 PM

Is there such thing as a commonwealth soccer tournament or something similar by a different name? That’d be kinda cool that could maybe generate more attention.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 7:21 PM

Hamilton got its original stadium the 1930 Empire Games (now Commonwealth) and the newest one for the 2014 PanAm games. Opportunity for a new Stampeders stadium?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Hamilton got its original stadium the 1930 Empire Games (now Commonwealth) and the newest one for the 2014 PanAm games. Opportunity for a new Stampeders stadium?
Not while Commonwealth Stadium exists, I'd hope. Ideally they could fund something for both cities. Commonwealth could use a few million and Calgary could use... basically anything to get the ball rolling.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:44 PM

I posted this already on the Edmonton Thread.

As for the Olympics the IOC is looking at a rotating group of host cities now that they are getting less bids.

Para events are part of the Games and are not a separate event.

Core Sports

Swimming events have good facilities in both cities.
Athletics definitely at Commonwealth.
Lawn bowling I believe both cities have good facilities
Road Cycling could be done in both but Calgary would have the more challenging routes.
Triathlon definitely here.
Wrestling, Badminton,
Boxing, Field Hockey, Judo, Netball, Power Lifting, Rugby 7s, Squash, Weightlifting, Table Tennis( Able and Para) could all be done in both cities. we have equally good facilities for these.

Optional Sports
Diving, Archery, Wheelchair Basket Ball, Rhythmic Gymnastics, beach Volleyball and cricket we have equally good facilities for these.

Mountain Bike I would hope we could do it here, The Valley can meet UCI standards and has.
Gun Sports, I know we do not have a facility anymore and I don't know about Calgary. There is a range out at the base though.

Maybe bring back some discontinued sports. Syncro Swimming, Water Polo, Archery, Basket Ball, Fencing, Rowing (Leduc), Tennis and 10pin bowling all can be done at facilities here.

I haven't seen the latest but some of the newer Olympic sports may be added. an event like Beach Sprints in Rowing(its coming to the Paris Olympics) could be done at Wabumum or Bears Paw.

CGF announced a new games roadmap that will, starting with the 2026 Games, change the requirements for sports competed at the games.[8] The roadmap suggests that approximately 15 sports should be competed at each games. There will be a new category of "Compulsory Sports", containing just athletics and swimming as well as their para-sport disciplines, and these will be the only sports that hosts are required to include in their program. The category of "Core Sports" will be expanded to include all other current core and optional sports; however, these will not be mandatory and it will be at the hosts' discretion how many are included in their program. Hosts will also be permitted to propose other sports beyond this core list for inclusion based on their popularity in the host nation or region.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 7:23 PM

RE: the Olympics possibly getting permanent rotating hosts - this is the crack in the door I think for a Canadian city to get back into hosting a winter event within the next decade.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 8:18 PM

Sounds like Vancouver/Whistler might be back interested in becoming one of those recurring hosts.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 5:30 AM

Looks like the ice aren't getting their way on a new arena. Honestly why move the team to a perfectly served market with the expectation that the city will build you a palace? I think this will help the Moose and give a deserving city a shot to host the team. Not gonna say I saw this coming but....I saw this coming. Either the moose or ICE were eventually gonna have to leave you cant have the 3 highest levels of hockey in a mid size city like Winnipeg

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hocke...gs-in-winnipeg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada