HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:41 PM

Does anyone know where to find the alternate designs for CLC back in the early 00s? I seem to remember there being other versions that were floated out there. Specifically, a design that had much more glass.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Does anyone know where to find the alternate designs for CLC back in the early 00s? I seem to remember there being other versions that were floated out there. Specifically, a design that had much more glass.
I suspect you would have to go back to printed materials from the era, newspapers, etc. It was kind of the stone age of the internet, not a lot of articles from back then would still be accessible today.

As I recall there were three main iterations of the arena's design.

The first one was fairly modern with a lot of what looked like glass and various metal panels. That got people upset because it was too modern

So the next version was cartoonishly retro with lots of masonry. That was criticized for not being modern enough.

The third and final version, which was ultimately the one that got built, sort of split the difference with some modern design cues but with red bricks. I always wondered if the east and west elevations were holdovers from the first design, though, with all of their glass and metal that doesn't really match the main facade.

I think the arena's design has held up well, although if I could have changed anything about it, it would have been nice if the main facade was a little taller. Strictly from an appearance perspective it would have been nice had it been a little higher and more imposing. It also would have been kind of cool had there been another ring of suites at the top of the arena like in Vancouver, but I guess TNSE didn't need that extra capacity.

My major beef with the arena is the cramped seating. It feels so squished... whenever another grown man sits next to me it feels like I have to pull my shoulders in. The seating is so tight that it makes it feel like they simply squeezed 15,000 seats into the originally-envisioned 12,000 seat arena. I was at Stride Place in Portage earlier this week and OMG the seating is so much wider and more comfortable.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:09 PM
What could go wrong?

I guess my conspiracy theory/outside hope that the Jets offered Bowness a 2 year deal so that Trotz could have some time off - take care of stuff and then become coach of the Jets was wrong.

He just signed as Nashville's GM.

I wonder who the Jets are/will be looking at over the next year or two.

.....holy shit they suck lately. Looks like Paul Maurice's Jets.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:23 PM

This is more than coaching the team just isn't that good outside of JOMO and Helly.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:51 PM

a month ago we were ready to hand Bowness coach of the year! and we had many players having near record years. coming back to Wpg after all start break just messed everyone up!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 7:01 PM

This is not the first time that the Jets have had a strong start and then begin to tear apart at the seams in the final months of the season.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 7:06 PM

They have been exposed playing mostly eastern conference teams the past 5 weeks. Colorado and Minnesota on our tails does not look good. Our lack of action in the summer failing to trade PLD and Wheeler shows now.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
They have been exposed playing mostly eastern conference teams the past 5 weeks. Colorado and Minnesota on our tails does not look good. Our lack of action in the summer failing to trade PLD and Wheeler shows now.
PLD & Wheeler both have had top notch seasons.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 8:13 PM

Lack of depth is an issue. Top 6 scoring is non-existent and there's nobody to cover for it. Defense has also been not good, which isn't really a new thing.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 1:25 PM

Last nights loss is all my fault.

Saw the score on my app 3-1 Jets, hey they have turned the corner!

Watch the game for 5 minutes and the Kings tie it up.

Leave the game to watch something else and the app says 5-4 Jets.

5 minutes left, maybe I'll go back and watch the end....Kings tie it up.

Angry at myself for doing this and don't watch any more of the game. Kings win overtime shootout.

Now the Jets are doing this all on their own I know, but maybe I am the problem and just to make sure I will not be watching them live anymore.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quick got traded right after the game, what a shitty way to treat a team Legend. And 4 bif time D all got traded yesterday, so the value of Chycuryn just went down in my opinion, time to swoop in and give PHX Stanley, Lambert and a 1st?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Last nights loss is all my fault.

Saw the score on my app 3-1 Jets, hey they have turned the corner!

Watch the game for 5 minutes and the Kings tie it up.

Leave the game to watch something else and the app says 5-4 Jets.

5 minutes left, maybe I'll go back and watch the end....Kings tie it up.

Angry at myself for doing this and don't watch any more of the game. Kings win overtime shootout.

Now the Jets are doing this all on their own I know, but maybe I am the problem and just to make sure I will not be watching them live anymore.
I'll give them credit, even though they took an L, at least the effort was there against a solid Kings team. It wasn't a total debacle like the game on Sunday vs. the Islanders.

But that said, I am no longer expecting a deep playoff run from this team. At this point a one and done seems likely.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 4:53 PM
BANNED

The Jets need to clean house starting with the GM!

Chevy has been here long enough accomplishing nothing!

New GM, head coach needed, time to move out the deadwood like Wheeler, Pionk, De Melo! We know PLD doesn't want to be here and kinda looks like Ehlers is looking for a change with his lackluster play!

It will be a huge surprise if the Jets grab a wild card PO spot this season!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:13 PM

so you want new coach, new GM, new players.... let me guess you want a new owner and new rink too?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:49 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

New GM, head coach needed, time to move out the deadwood like Wheeler, Pionk, De Melo! We know PLD doesn't want to be here and kinda looks like Ehlers is looking for a change with his lackluster play!

It will be a huge surprise if the Jets grab a wild card PO spot this season!
Chevy has a tough job IMHO. He has to navigate all the NTC and guys that do not want to play in Winnipeg, so it makes it that much harder to attract guys to this city.

With that being said, I agree. I think he needs to go all-in this season. We are likely going to be in rebuild mode after this with Helle, Scheif and Wheeler all needing new contracts. If this season is a fail, then I think it's time to blow up the core and decide who are our long-term bets and sell off/trade the others. Helle is going to command a huge salary when his term is done and I would prefer to see Chevy over pay him for a top notch goalie, because most teams in the NHL will be vying for him if he hits the free market.

I would like to see Chevy trade for Chychrun or a Max Domi type player so we can get Wheeler down to the third line. Give Bowness some options up front.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
so you want new coach, new GM, new players.... let me guess you want a new owner and new rink too?
A new rink with parking and no fear of being stabbed or assaulted before and after attending events would be nice to!

You don't think twelve years of Cheveldayoff and mediocrity is enough yet?

Yeah and I get that Chevy has a harder job than most GM's trying to get anyone to play here and commit! His drafting record is average at best which is something that needs to be top shelf in a market like this!

And at 37 to start the 23-24 season, Wheelers contract which expires at the end of 2024 will be his last with the Jets!

Last edited by rrskylar; Mar 1, 2023 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

I don't disagree with you that it is time to move on from Chevy. Unfortunately the rot within the Jets organization starts from an even higher level and it is one that isn't so easily replaced. The team should have moved on from Chevy after the team bounced out of the 2019 playoffs. That we are still holding on four seasons later looking for answers is a big part of the problem. This team is far too loyal to people and it is holding them back.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I don't disagree with you that it is time to move on from Chevy. Unfortunately the rot within the Jets organization starts from an even higher level and it is one that isn't so easily replaced. The team should have moved on from Chevy after the team bounced out of the 2019 playoffs. That we are still holding on four seasons later looking for answers is a big part of the problem. This team is far too loyal to people and it is holding them back.
Why would they have moved on from Chevy in 2019? If we look at the Jets drafting record in the 2010's it's better than most teams, and light years ahead of what the Thrashers did.

It was even said that between 2011-15, the Jets had one of the best drafting periods in the NHL. Things have not been as rosy from 2016-19, but then again the Jets were starting to become a legitimate competitor. The 2016 draft year is the only one that really stands out, due to the fact Laine didn't pan out as expected after 2018, and Stanley was a poor choice.

There have also been rumours that Chevy was looking at replacing Maurice, but Chipman overruled this. I also don't think people consider how difficult Chevy's job is, acquiring free agents or players in trades, as Winnipeg is the #1 on the NMC for NHL players.

In spite of this, Chevy hasn't made any horrible trades. Chevy fleeced Buffalo in the Evander Kane trade. We also arguably got the better of the PLD-Laine trade. Trouba insisted on going to a team in the NYC area, so it severely limited him on who he could acquire.

Ultimately, I think Chevy has done a great job, especially if we compare the Jets to other Canadian teams. The 2.0 Jets are also far better than the 1.0 Winnipeg Jets ever were. People are talking about the Jets like they are at Ottawa or Vancouver level over the past 5 years.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Why would they have moved on from Chevy in 2019? If we look at the Jets drafting record in the 2010's it's better than most teams, and light years ahead of what the Thrashers did.

It was even said that between 2011-15, the Jets had one of the best drafting periods in the NHL. Things have not been as rosy from 2016-19, but then again the Jets were starting to become a legitimate competitor. The 2016 draft year is the only one that really stands out, due to the fact Laine didn't pan out as expected after 2018, and Stanley was a poor choice.

There have also been rumours that Chevy was looking at replacing Maurice, but Chipman overruled this. I also don't think people consider how difficult Chevy's job is, acquiring free agents or players in trades, as Winnipeg is the #1 on the NMC for NHL players.

In spite of this, Chevy hasn't made any horrible trades. Chevy fleeced Buffalo in the Evander Kane trade. We also arguably got the better of the PLD-Laine trade. Trouba insisted on going to a team in the NYC area, so it severely limited him on who he could acquire.

Ultimately, I think Chevy has done a great job, especially if we compare the Jets to other Canadian teams. The 2.0 Jets are also far better than the 1.0 Winnipeg Jets ever were. People are talking about the Jets like they are at Ottawa or Vancouver level over the past 5 years.
Jets 2.0 far better? They have only made the playoffs what 4 times in 12 years. Atleast Jets 1.0 made the playoffs most years than not in the 80s and early 90s.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Jets 2.0 far better? They have only made the playoffs what 4 times in 12 years. Atleast Jets 1.0 made the playoffs most years than not in the 80s and early 90s.
lol....

You were not alive during the 80s, I take it. The NHL only had 21 teams between 1979 and 1991. To miss the playoffs was very hard, as only one team missed the playoffs in each division. It is not like today, when only 50% of NHL teams qualify.

Here are some of the Jets records, where they "made the playoffs":

1981-82: 33-33-14
1982-83: 33-39-6
1983-84: 31-38-11
1985-86: 26-47-7
1987-88: 33-36-12
1995-96: 36-40-6

There is zero chance any of these records would be good enough to qualify for the NHL playoffs today. In fact, the only years the Jets 1.0 would have qualified for the playoffs in today's NHL would have been 1985,87,1990, and arguably 1993.
And this is just the Smythe Division. Teams with the 2nd worst record in the entire league made the playoffs in the old Norris Division. Comparing the Jets 1.0 to Jets 2.0, based off how many playoff appearances they made, is about the most inaccurate argument one can make.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan