HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

It looks low budget, inappropriately so, like a small metro cities' convention center that nearly bankrupted them.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:19 PM

Has there been an official first event posted for opening night yet? I have a feeling uic pavilion is going to lose alot of buisness because of this guy.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It looks low budget, inappropriately so, like a small metro cities' convention center that nearly bankrupted them.
yea, good thing we have millions of spare taxpayer dollars in our budget to just throw at vanity projects like this

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:55 AM

those red things on top of the new apple store are so annoying, they emit loud and abrasive bird calls that don't sound like any natural bird, like some kind of dying vulture or hawk. you can hear them from hundreds of feet away

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdoodlebop View Post
those red things on top of the new apple store are so annoying, they emit loud and abrasive bird calls that don't sound like any natural bird, like some kind of dying vulture or hawk. you can hear them from hundreds of feet away
Not sure what the alternative would be. In rural areas where you want to keep birds away (vineyards, for instance) they use period sounds of a shotgun firing, but that would probably cause some panic among tourists in Chicago.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Not sure what the alternative would be. In rural areas where you want to keep birds away (vineyards, for instance) they use period sounds of a shotgun firing, but that would probably cause some panic among tourists in Chicago.
Robot Patrols - use the VEX program already in place in the local schools - make it a competition

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:00 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Seems like targeted ultrasonic cannons would work well. A video system to identify where the birds are and then highly-directional, high-intensity sound waves shot at the birds in a frequency range that would resonate with their beaks or wing bones to make them very uncomfortable. I wonder if such things already exist and, if not, how long it would take a university robotics lab to create such a system?

RE: DePaul stadium - why isn't some of that corrugated paneling colored? Even relatively muted neutral colors would go a long way toward making it a lot less visibly oppressive it would seem. On the Cermak side, some carefully selected LED paneling could make it really interesting - something like an outdoor version of the LED panels in the lobby of 150 N Riverside. Then it could be customized per each event, too. If it were strips, it wouldn't have to be dominating to Cermak, but visually interesting and, if installed properly, would be pretty low-cost for maintenance.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Robot Patrols - use the VEX program already in place in the local schools - make it a competition
Better yet, put a remote controlled robot on the roof and let anyone who logs onto the webcam have 60 second turns operating it and chasing off birds lol.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
A small dose of pre-construction reality wouldn't have hurt. You built a laptop looking building between a large plaza and a water way. Can't really think of a more bird friendly area other than a landfill.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:17 PM

yea i love all these tack on solutions to what really could have been solved by more thoughtful design in the first place. if apple is supposed to be a company that thinks and plans ahead for all the small details, i wouldnt say this reflects well on them. all style over substance, but maybe thats a better summation of apple in 2017

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:37 PM
THAT Guy

"Loyola Gateway"

N Broadway and Sheridan
Ground floor retail (likely including a new Bank of America) + 59 units + 30 parking spaces

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
N Broadway and Sheridan
Ground floor retail (likely including a new Bank of America) + 59 units + 30 parking spaces
This area is going to be so dramatically different 10 years from now. I'm surprised it has taken this long for TOD developments to really kick off around Loyola.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yea i love all these tack on solutions to what really could have been solved by more thoughtful design in the first place. if apple is supposed to be a company that thinks and plans ahead for all the small details, i wouldnt say this reflects well on them. all style over substance, but maybe thats a better summation of apple in 2017
Isn't this a design by Norman Foster? I wouldn't expect such a glaring oversight.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:33 PM

below that level in the Tribune parking lot a recording goes off every now and again of a loud chicken hawk to scare off pigeons from crapping on CEO cars

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
This area is going to be so dramatically different 10 years from now. I'm surprised it has taken this long for TOD developments to really kick off around Loyola.
Too bad this isn't replacing that damn Starbucks with that drive thru across the street

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ Amen!

this proposed TOD development in edgewater is a net loss. it replaces a handsome 2 story red brick retail building that gives the neighborhood character:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9981...7i13312!8i6656

meanwhile, directly across the street is a vast surburban wasteland of 3 stand alone drive-thru shit-box restaurants (starbucks, popeye's, and dunkin donuts) that is SCREAMING for urban redevelopment:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9979...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Too bad this isn't replacing that damn Starbucks with that drive thru across the street

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ Amen!

this proposed TOD development in edgewater is a net loss. it replaces a handsome 2 story red brick retail building that gives the neighborhood character:

meanwhile, directly across the street is a surburban wasteland of 3 stand alone drive-thru shit-box restaurants (starbucks, popeye's, and dunkin donuts):

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9979...7i13312!8i6656
It would look excellent if they kept the brick facade of the current building and built behind/above it. Sigh.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ Amen!

It's not just any 2-story brick. It's the Woodruff Arcade, one of Chicago's few remaining shopping arcades, and probably the only one left standing outside downtown. Definitely a good candidate for landmarking.

A facadectomy would not save this:

Loyola Phoenix

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ damn, i've never gone inside there. that's really nice and makes this impending demolition even sadder and more senseless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development