HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:21 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
We had a giant Satellite dish in the early 90's. It would physically rotate to connect to the satellites and I ended up discovering that you could halt it in between and pick up pirated channels. Needless to say there were some adult content channels such as Playboy. That was pre-internet days.
Sounds like a way better method than watching the scrambled pay TV channels when they arrived in the 1980s, trying to catch sight of body parts.

A couple of Toronto channels showed soft-core or at least some skin on occasion. City-TV had it's "baby blue movies" night in the early 70s but I was just a wee lad. What became Omni was CFMT and late nights they'd broadcast European and Latino films that often showed nudity. Nothing gratuitous that I recall, but enough to make it worth staying up late.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Pong? Atari? Colecovision?
My parents got me an Atari maybe a year or so before Nintendo hit it big in Canada. So for years while my friends had Nintendos, I had to make do with my clunky old Atari since my parents thought it would be a shame to just relegate it to the closet along with all the games since it was still so new to us.

I have to admit though, there was something to the sheer simplicity of those Atari games. My kid plays video games on a PS5 and I find the controls to be overwhelming at times

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
We had a giant Satellite dish in the early 90's. It would physically rotate to connect to the satellites and I ended up discovering that you could halt it in between and pick up pirated channels. Needless to say there were some adult content channels such as Playboy. That was pre-internet days.
I remember going over to the homes of friends with dishes and marvelling at the incredible number of channels they had while I had to make do with my lousy dozen. Even wrestling pay per views were there for free... it was incredible.

Although I guess the modern equivalent is having an Android TV box and illegal streaming sites, no dish required.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:25 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Sounds like a way better method than watching the scrambled pay TV channels when they arrived in the 1980s, trying to catch sight of body parts.

A couple of Toronto channels showed soft-core or at least some skin on occasion. City-TV had it's "baby blue movies" night in the early 70s but I was just a wee lad. What became Omni was CFMT and late nights they'd broadcast European and Latino films that often showed nudity. Nothing gratuitous that I recall, but enough to make it worth staying up late.
I watched the scrambled PPV channels as well. Nothing more thrilling than seeing a random boob through all of the static fuzz.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I remember going over to the homes of friends with dishes and marvelling at the incredible number of channels they had while I had to make do with my lousy dozen. Even wrestling pay per views were there for free... it was incredible.

Although I guess the modern equivalent is having an Android TV box and illegal streaming sites, no dish required.
Funny enough I was jealous of friends with cable because we only got obscure channels that none of my friends knew about. They would always talk about shows on X channel and I didn't get them.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
If I didn't have landlord-provided cable I would still subscribe to cable on my own, if for no other reason than to be able to watch Jeopardy.
I guess it doesn't matter since you have cable TV included with your rent, but the broadcaster apps (CTV, Global, CBC) have tons of content on them. If you ever have cable for just one show, it might be worth checking to see if one of the broadcasters carries the show on their app.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Funny enough I was jealous of friends with cable because we only got obscure channels that none of my friends knew about. They would always talk about shows on X channel and I didn't get them.
My grandparents certainly enjoyed cable when they visited us. We had TSN, which had Blue Jays games and curling matches that they missed out on at home.

My other grandparents, who had the C-band dish, got American channels I'd never heard of, such as Turner Classic Movies (which back then was not carried on Canadian cable). My late grandfather was a huge movie buff and that's why they had the dish.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:36 PM
Fake News

Quote:
My grandparents certainly enjoyed cable when they visited us. We had TSN, which had Blue Jays games and curling matches that they missed out on at home.

My other grandparents, who had the C-band dish, got American channels I'd never heard of, such as Turner Classic Movies (which back then was not carried on Canadian cable). My late grandfather was a huge movie buff and that's why they had the dish.
Yeah we got tons of American channels. I remember The Box and Fox before it was available on cable.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Pong? Atari? Colecovision?
Yep, we had all three.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I watched the scrambled PPV channels as well. Nothing more thrilling than seeing a random boob through all of the static fuzz.
In the many hours I spent watching scrambled PPV channels, I myself was always on the lookout for the fuzz that constituted a woman's p*s*y.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 1:50 AM

Quote:
I guess it doesn't matter since you have cable TV included with your rent, but the broadcaster apps (CTV, Global, CBC) have tons of content on them. If you ever have cable for just one show, it might be worth checking to see if one of the broadcasters carries the show on their app.
Sony - which owns Jeopardy as well as Wheel of Fortune - has been notoriously opposed to entering the 21st century and providing its syndicated game shows to any streaming platforms. The rights to both shows in Canada is owned by a group of independent stations, none of which stream their channels online (aside from locally produced shows). They do broadcast over-the-air in their local communities, but in my case the station that has it is CHEK in Victoria, which doesn’t reach where I live.

In the United States, the only legal way to stream those two game shows is if you have a local station that carries the show and streams full-time online. All of the streams I’m aware of that do this are geo-blocked in Canada.

I’ve definitely looked into non-cable options for Jeopardy. This question frequently comes up on the Jeopardy subreddit.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 5:04 AM

Interesting... I had no idea it was so tough to find Jeopardy online.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 5:08 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I’ve definitely looked into non-cable options for Jeopardy. This question frequently comes up on the Jeopardy subreddit.
Quote:
Interesting... I had no idea it was so tough to find Jeopardy online.
Exceptionally difficult. Jeopardy gets really good ratings on Canadian TV (600K+, usually), but obviously the demo breakdown is heavily skewed older. Very difficult, if not impossible, to find legal Jeopardy streams.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Regarding the witch and stick figures, I wonder if you were remembering the cartoon, Tales of the Wizard of Oz, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054568/ it was one of my favourites, along with Kimba, lol.
Nope I remember Tales Of the Wizard Oz, but those/that triangled stick figured witch was before that in my timeline recollection..Underdog, and the witch are as far back as I can barely remember.

Heck, even this old ministry of Transportation Ontario commercial came after.
This one I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9wHORHy2Gw

There was another show that we used to watch on Saturday mornings, and it was only after the cartoons were over..It was in the "B" list.
It took me years to try to figure it out, but I think it was on CFTO , and was hosted by that Toronto TV personality David Devall (I think).
The opening theme song was the Beatles - "All you need is love", and it was an adoption show called Family Finders, where they tried to find homes for children in need of adoption.
He paraded kids in front of the cameras focusing on one or a set at a time and you had to call in..He often said "and this one goes with him/her", and this one goes with (repeat), meaning that they were siblings.
Times sure were different!.

Last edited by Razor; Jan 28, 2022 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:
In the many hours I spent watching scrambled PPV channels, I myself was always on the lookout for the fuzz that constituted a woman's p*s*y.
You and I are on the same page.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:17 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In those days it seemed like every single house had a pirated descrambler that allowed one to watch all of the pay channels for free.

My Dad and Stepmom's place - where I spent part of the time - is outside the City (Springbank), which at the time was quite remote and you couldn't get cable if you were willing to pay. So we also had one of the massive satellite dishes, and they had pirated boards which became increasingly harder to use over time. At one point you had to manually enter codes for individual channels on satellites that would only work for a day or two.

But, the channels you didn't have access to often had a video feed with no audio, including the adult ones. This was most definitely not an issue for me! I quickly learned what satellites had them and made sure to put it back to the original settings afterwards.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 5:43 PM

Toronto in 1990
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 9:12 PM
Great White Norf

How is this from 1990, because Scotia Plaza was built in 1988 and is not in the skyline footage shots?

unless it's just an agglomeration of stock footage from the 1980s lol

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 9:59 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
My Dad and Stepmom's place - where I spent part of the time - is outside the City (Springbank), which at the time was quite remote and you couldn't get cable if you were willing to pay. So we also had one of the massive satellite dishes, and they had pirated boards which became increasingly harder to use over time. At one point you had to manually enter codes for individual channels on satellites that would only work for a day or two.

But, the channels you didn't have access to often had a video feed with no audio, including the adult ones. This was most definitely not an issue for me! I quickly learned what satellites had them and made sure to put it back to the original settings afterwards.
Ah yes I forgot about those codes! And yes the in between channels were without audio but I didn’t care.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 10:00 AM
Fake News

Hey, remember the days of this forum before 3 members held us all hostage to their never ending rants and gaslighting defending racism?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada