HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Globe & Mail suggested this would allow MTY Food Group to expand their offerings in Atlantic Canada where they have very little presence. We'll see about that.

It is sad to see Imvescor (originally headquartered in Moncton) swallowed up in increasing layers of corporate ownership. As far as I'm concerned, there is no corporate identity left for Imvescor, and no real residual attachment to the Maritimes.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 11:08 PM
Riverview Vet

Bel Air Petit Cap

I heard the Bel Air recently had a fire and is out of commission.
Chez Camille was recently purchased and stands to reap the benefits.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverview Vet View Post
I heard the Bel Air recently had a fire and is out of commission.
Chez Camille was recently purchased and stands to reap the benefits.
Two separate fires in May, actually. Both are considered arson. Hopefully they are back up and running soon.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 9:57 PM

Feels like the most appropriate thread for this.

Bernard Imbeault, founder of Pizza Delight passes away

Not COVID related, sounds like he's been in rough shape for years.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 8:20 PM

A step back to normal
Taco Boyz is reopening in Fredericton tomorrow. They're only doing takeout of course, but it's a step back to normal for us.

Hopefully the DQ's will be reopening soon too. I think I've heard they are working on it, so it should be soon.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 2:45 PM

Heard from a coworker that the Red Lantern Pub on the northside of Freddy might be closing. No official date in the works, but the owner is looking to hang up the apron after all these years apparently.

I haven't gone there often, but I've been satisfied the times I have gone there. I generally prefer Ringos for a steak, but Red Lantern's been a good second choice.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:25 PM

I'm going to New Brunswick in a couple weeks, just for a day while I explore other parts of the Maritime Provinces. I'll be in Fredericton at around lunchtime, and in Moncton at around dinnertime. I have a few questions about food options in those metros.

~ Is there a New Brunswick food that is unique to the province that I should try? For instance, a donair is a Nova Scotian food, and poutine is a Quebec food.
~ Are there any fast food chains only in New Brunswick? If not only in New Brunswick, are there any fast food chains in the Maritime Provinces that are not in other provinces, like Ontario? For instance, in my home state of Delaware, Capritotti's Subs is a local chain (that is actually slowly expanding nationwide).
~ If there were one or two restaurants near the central core in Fredericton and Moncton that serve the food pretty quickly, even if they are sit-down restaurants, which ones would be the best in each city?
~ Any snacks or drinks unique to New Brunswick that I could find in a gas station or convenience store that I should try?

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:44 PM

Fredericton for lunch - MOCO downtown has some great lunch and seafood options. If you want more heat Caribbean flavors is a great longstanding restaurant. These are places I often take clients when in town.

As for NB specific food items. That is tough. I might say some Acadian foods. I love a poutine rapee, or rappie pie. Otherwise we are a costal province with tons of great seafood. I will let the Moncton folks point you in the right direction for supper, and likely good seafood options. While driving grab yourself some Covered Bridge chips also (we grow a lot of potatoes and need to get rid of them).

I know you are not planning for it but in the future Saint John is worth a visit and will soon have the renovated NB museum. Lots of cool architecture and a city that feels much larger that it is.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm not sure of your price range, but, for Moncton, if you are looking for brew pub sort of fare, the Pump House near city hall on Main Street is a staple. Gahan House is nearby. It is a Maritime chain of brew pubs, Tide & Boar is a popular gastropub. They have two locations in Moncton, including one directly across from city hall. For more traditional sit down restaurants downtown, I've always liked St. James Gate, and Catch 22 is a popular but relatively pricey seafood restaurant.

All the restaurants I've listed are in the city hall area. I've left off other popular restaurants elsewhere in the city, and didn't include generic chain restaurants like the Keg, Moxies or Milestones.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not sure of your price range, but, for Moncton, if you are looking for brew pub sort of fare, the Pump House near city hall on Main Street is a staple. Gahan House is nearby. It is a Maritime chain of brew pubs, Tide & Boar is a popular gastropub. They have two locations in Moncton, including one directly across from city hall. For more traditional sit down restaurants downtown, I've always liked St. James Gate, and Catch 22 is a popular but relatively pricey seafood restaurant.

All the restaurants I've listed are in the city hall area. I've left off other popular restaurants elsewhere in the city, and didn't include generic chain restaurants like the Keg, Moxies or Milestones.
+1 for Tide and Boar

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I'm going to New Brunswick in a couple weeks, just for a day while I explore other parts of the Maritime Provinces. I'll be in Fredericton at around lunchtime, and in Moncton at around dinnertime. I have a few questions about food options in those metros.

~ Is there a New Brunswick food that is unique to the province that I should try? For instance, a donair is a Nova Scotian food, and poutine is a Quebec food.
~ Are there any fast food chains only in New Brunswick? If not only in New Brunswick, are there any fast food chains in the Maritime Provinces that are not in other provinces, like Ontario? For instance, in my home state of Delaware, Capritotti's Subs is a local chain (that is actually slowly expanding nationwide).
~ If there were one or two restaurants near the central core in Fredericton and Moncton that serve the food pretty quickly, even if they are sit-down restaurants, which ones would be the best in each city?
~ Any snacks or drinks unique to New Brunswick that I could find in a gas station or convenience store that I should try?
Seconding MOCO. Seriously underrated. Tide and Boar is pretty decent and their beer selection is solid. Get the tartare if it's on the menu.

For local food, fiddleheads might be in season. We don't really have any specific dishes, but seafood and beef are both high quality.

Tons of great Maritime beers available at dozens of places, Fredericton has the strongest brewing scene. Maybee and Grimross stand out. Big Spruce in NS is also good.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:15 PM

One of the things NB is famous for is Fiddleheads. (It's in the title of this thread after all), but that is a seasonal food that restaurants don't really serve. They are just coming into season though, so they might be available if you look/ask around a bit. (Especially in the Freddy/Saint John River Valley area). I don't care for them myself, but it is well known.

For Lunch options in Frederiction, Moco's downtown is an excellent choice. The other downtown restaurants like Snooty Fox, Lunar Rogue Pub, Dolan's, MidSea Eaterie and Issaac's Way are all good choices (but I'm not sure how many are open for lunch; they may only be open for weekday lunches and dinners).

Outside of Downtown, there are other options like J's Asian (which is on the Northside AND Downtown), Woolastok Wharf, Pine Tre Pub, Red Lantern Inn, Mama's Pub (all on the Northside), and Ringos. (on the top of Smythe street) and probably more places that I can't think of at the moment.

I don't think there are really any New Brunswick only chains, because the Maritimes tend to be too interlinked; any chain quickly goes to all 3 provinces. As for Maritime only chains, there are a few, mostly fast food places. Greco, Pizza Delight, Dixie Lee Fried Chicken, and Deluxe Fish and Chips are the four 'big' ones in the region and are all decent enough for Fast Food options. Taco Boyz has 2 locations in Freddy and some in PEI and is a great option too. There are other restaurants (mostly pizza places actually) that are regional; like Tony's (2 locations in Freddy) and more.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:31 PM

I'm surprised at all the love for Moco.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:02 PM

What are fiddleheads, and where can you get them?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
What are fiddleheads, and where can you get them?
We get them along rivers and streams. They grow best in soil that is turned by seasonal flooding. You can often get them at grocery stores this time of year or people selling them on the side of the road.

They are a newly grown fern that has not opened yet, and a traditional food for people of the area.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10...d-fiddleheads/

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:16 PM

Fiddleheads are kinda like what Collard Greens are for the US South.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces