HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I thought Amazon was going to change the free returns policy and start charging.

I watched a documentary about Amazon returns specifically and it showed that most of what gets returned just ends up in the trash, a lot of stores also trash their returns rather than sell them again, this was a different show that showed some US sites and this mother and daughter say they always buy like three purses and multiple items and return what they don't want so the show followed the returns and the goods were just written off and trashed, the mother-daughter duo were unaware and said they would adjust their shopping habits.

Since my neighbourhood has added multiple towers and buildings there is always an Amazon or UPS truck somewhere on the block, often blocking the road, which really gets annoying.

I will admit I have been ordering of Temu a bit lately, I often find the exact same things on it as Amazon at about 75% cheaper. With Temu they give you a $5 credit if late, and the last 3 orders have come via Canada Post and one of the promise dates was on a sunday so I automatically got a credit, I've also had two of my four orders for free, first was an entire refund the second one was a refund in the form of a credit which I applied to my fourth order. No issues with what I have got other than the packaging is kind of a mess but all is intact.
Developers too cheap to set aside designated loading zones in favor of some crappy lawns and over built sidewalks

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 9:14 PM
life in the present

Anthropologie on South Granville is closing / moving. The space is spoken for and I do know the retailer who's moving in but I've promised not to disclose. It will, however, be a great fit on South Granville.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/anth...eet-relocating

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:03 AM

where is Anthropologie moving?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:21 AM

Quote:
where is Anthropologie moving?
They told DH that they are still looking for a spot.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:30 AM

oh ok, hopefully in the area.

Does anyone know what closed in Park Royal North? I noticed a Spirit of Halloween banner on one of the stores but didn't know which one, I thought it might have been Saks off 5th, but that still seems open.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 4:06 AM

Quote:
oh ok, hopefully in the area.

Does anyone know what closed in Park Royal North? I noticed a Spirit of Halloween banner on one of the stores but didn't know which one, I thought it might have been Saks off 5th, but that still seems open.
Gap Kids?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Gap Kids?
Their store locator says 'next to The Gap' - odd as their other Metro Van locations all say 'former store name'.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Their store locator says 'next to The Gap' - odd as their other Metro Van locations all say 'former store name'.
Actually it's probably the old Steve Nash gym space inside next to the Gap? The Spirt Halloween stores are probably quite large.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 9:39 PM

Quote:
They told DH that they are still looking for a spot.
I would almost suggest this is code for "we are not planning to open another location" while not burning any good will for the Urban Outfitter brands.

I think it will be interesting to see if stores start snapping up space now in hopes for a discount on the rent vs the future when the skytrain opens, with that said, these old CRU's aren't totally worth what the LL's are asking plus the NNN fees. There is a lot of vacancy along that area.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
I would almost suggest this is code for "we are not planning to open another location" while not burning any good will for the Urban Outfitter brands.

I think it will be interesting to see if stores start snapping up space now in hopes for a discount on the rent vs the future when the skytrain opens, with that said, these old CRU's aren't totally worth what the LL's are asking plus the NNN fees. There is a lot of vacancy along that area.
yea, like where that shoe store was for years on the west side of the street across from Shoppers block, has been empty for so long, it looks awkward, old and a lot of work for a new retailer. Its not a space to attract a large brand.

Maybe Anthropologie is waiting it out and will open in Oakridge. Urban Outfitters in Richmond Centre is now open.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 3:46 PM

Does any know what the deal is with the Monte Cristo Jewellers unit on Alberni? It looks like it could either be a location opening or closed, there's nothing mentioned at all, it's just lifestyle graphics with their logo. And I feel like it's been that way for a while. I had to check trusty Google Maps to give me the details, and in Dec. 2020, it was just a vacant unit with papered windows, no indication of what would move in. The next street view was May 2022, and it is exactly how it looks now. So sometime between Dec. 2020 and May 2022, it got a window treatment for Monte Cristo, but now has been stuck like that for at minimum 15 months, and likely quite a bit longer. Are they actually planning to open, or did they abandon plans and the landlord doesn't want giant "FOR LEASE" across the store?? Anyone in the know, please enlighten us

Second, is there a confirmed tenant for the space being renovated at Alberni and Thurlow (the old Escada space that was a temp Gucci store as well). There had been a generic "Coming Soon" window wrap on the north east part of the space since at least May 2021 (again, thanks Google Maps rewind), but no indication of who it was for, and now that space is part of the new construction. So just asking if this will go out for lease once complete, or if a tenant is already confirmed and they are doing this Reno for them specifically.

Lastly, a "world renowned" Chinese restaurant is opening at 1132 Alberni St. (Carmana Plaza). This address refers to the whole complex, and relieved it is taking over the large vacant space of the former Tim Hortons, I noticed just last week what a monster of a space that was, and to be vacanct was very noticeable. Glad to see something opening!

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/din-tai-fung-vancouver

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Does any know what the deal is with the Monte Cristo Jewellers unit on Alberni? It looks like it could either be a location opening or closed, there's nothing mentioned at all, it's just lifestyle graphics with their logo. And I feel like it's been that way for a while.
Sounds somewhat similar to the TWG Tea situation over on Robson-the organisation runs out of money/plans change/people are cut loose and there's no one left to turn off the lights.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 5:28 PM

The last time I was in Metrotown the Monte Cristo there had no lights on and no signage as to why it wasn’t open in the middle of the day.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The last time I was in Metrotown the Monte Cristo there had no lights on and no signage as to why it wasn’t open in the middle of the day.
Tyee says it's a money laundering front lol

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/05/02/T...er-Bling-King/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Sounds somewhat similar to the TWG Tea situation over on Robson-the organisation runs out of money/plans change/people are cut loose and there's no one left to turn off the lights.
I don't think TWG ran out of money, but more like they could smell the state of retail/consumer-spending decline in this city. The City should buck up to improve its business-friendliness, and get their own social and street problems under control. When this F&B business first opened at its W Georgia store, the future looked rather rosy and social problems were not as prolific, but during and post-Covid, they are no longer so. On top of that, rent here isn't getting any cheaper, so why would anyone want to set up a long-term business unless they see that as viable and safe?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I don't think TWG ran out of money, but more like they could smell the state of retail/consumer-spending decline in this city. The City should buck up to improve its business-friendliness, and get their own social and street problems under control. When this F&B business first opened at its W Georgia store, the future looked rather rosy and social problems were not as prolific, but during and post-Covid, they are no longer so. On top of that, rent here isn't getting any cheaper, so why would anyone want to set up a long-term business unless they see that as viable and safe?
Is that why they've closed their only other North American store, in the Yorkdale Mall, only a year after opening? (And it was only ever a franchise operation, TWG didn't own it.)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Is that why they've closed their only other North American store, in the Yorkdale Mall, only a year after opening? (And it was only ever a franchise operation, TWG didn't own it.)
Seems like it was run by the owner of Opus Art Supplies who also ran Urban Tea Merchant which was in the old TWG space on West Georgia.

Quote:
The new TWG franchisees, Tom and Karinna James, are no strangers to tea. They opened luxury tea house Urban Tea Merchant in West Vancouver’s Park Royal in 2004 and moved to Alberni Street in 2009. The Alberni shop closed recently and will reopen as TWG in December with a boutique, salon and small wholesale component focusing on hotels and gourmet stores.

“We wanted to be associated with a global brand,” James said. “We found ourselves to be a very good local store, but we weren’t seen as a global store.”
https://vancouversun.com/business/lo...s-in-vancouver

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Seems like it was run by the owner of Opus Art Supplies who also ran Urban Tea Merchant which was in the old TWG space on West Georgia
Strange mixture. The only thing both stores sold was Earl Grey.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Did they own both here and Yorkdale? I could almost see supply chain issues affecting the buildout and delaying it long enough that they couldn't make it work without the revenue. I believe they had a good niche business when the store was at Park Royal, the location on Georgia/alberni seemed to fit a niche but that rent would have been hefty there. I cannot find the listing from Quadreal for the location online to see what the asking rent is however.

The tea business seems to be tough in general especially looking at david's tea, the starbucks brand that failed to get off the ground with a few retail locations and companies like Murchies all but disappearing.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Did they own both here and Yorkdale? I could almost see supply chain issues affecting the buildout and delaying it long enough that they couldn't make it work without the revenue. I believe they had a good niche business when the store was at Park Royal, the location on Georgia/alberni seemed to fit a niche but that rent would have been hefty there. I cannot find the listing from Quadreal for the location online to see what the asking rent is however.

The tea business seems to be tough in general especially looking at david's tea, the starbucks brand that failed to get off the ground with a few retail locations and companies like Murchies all but disappearing.
It's hard to be certain, but it looks that the two businesses in Vancouver and Yorkdale were closely related. When Yorkdale opened in June 2022 it was said that "Rosaly Wei is the franchisor of TWG Tea in North America, who owns and operates the TWG store in Vancouver since late 2016."

Quite how that relates to the Opus owner, I'm not sure, but I assume he sold the franchise in 2016.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy