HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Yes, historically Hyde Parkers do NOT walk to 63/Cottage because the walk along Cottage is so unpleasant, but this has been gradually changing over the past 10 years or so and is occuring more often, particularly as U of C continually expands its presence south of the Midway.
Back in the 90s, I'd occasionally walk from my apartment in Hyde Park to the 63rd/Cottage Grove el stop, but only during the day time when there was a fair bit of foot traffic along Cottage Grove. I've been back to the area recently in the evening by car, and its pretty desolate and foreboding still.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 12:40 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
Above 61st, I think the University has a much stronger pull than the Green Line.
I think you miss my point.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Grove Parc Plaza redevelopment

The first phase includes 67 units.

Overall master plan

I'm not really feeling the first phase but the whole plan is a big improvement over the existing buildings.
They've already started demolition of the 1960's urban renewal. Just to let you know, this is what used to be on the site.

Trianon Ballroom

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:26 AM

There used to be several ballrooms at this site. Actually, the reason I was there in the evening was for a function at the one ballroom still standing (http://www.thegrandballroom.net/). Although the outside of the building is rather drab and the surrounding area is down right decrepit and scary, the inside is in very good condition and quite classy.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
There used to be several ballrooms at this site. Actually, the reason I was there in the evening was for a function at the one ballroom still standing (http://www.thegrandballroom.net/). Although the outside of the building is rather drab and the surrounding area is down right decrepit and scary, the inside is in very good condition and quite classy.
And ironically enough, The Grand Balroom was designed by Lowenberg Sr. as the website says.

The building looks buch better than it did 5 years ago. The terra cotta has been restored and the ballroom windows unborded.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 4:23 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Never.

Unless Chicago sees a major change in demographics (ie population growth) I really don't see this area getting much new development, if any, any time in the next 30 years.
Never say never:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...ngbusines.html

Quote:
An ordinance was also introduced that authorizes a $3.1 million loan agreement for the construction of Woodlawn Senior South Apartments on the City South Side.

The proposed project is the first phase of the redevelopment of the former Grove Parc Apartments, a 504-unit development with 26 mid-rise buildings. All of the existing buildings will be demolished and rebuilt as a mixed-income community.

Phase one will include two new buildings to be constructed on South Cottage Grove Avenue between 62nd and 63rd streets in the 20th Ward. One building will contain 33 units and another will have 34 units. The mix will include 20 one-bedroom, 31 two-bedroom and 16 three-bedroom units.

The $20.9 million development, to be developed by Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc., will include 60 affordable and seven market-rate units.
More details:
http://www.ulichicago.org/PC_newslet.../keystone.html
Quote:
In addition to mixed-income housing, the new redevelopment will feature 65,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, including two anchor stores.

The redevelopment will be completed in phases, scheduled to begin in early 2010 and continue through 2014, with every step reflective of the power of partnership and potential of preservation.
Quote:
At the same time, POAH has developed a revitalization plan that preserves all of the 504 deeply subsidized units in the context of a mixed-income community. Approximately 210 of the Section 8 units will remain on site, comprising about half of the new Woodlawn Park units. The balance of the existing Section 8 subsidies will be shifted to new or renovated units in the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:03 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Magellan to lead Roundy’s project in Ravenswood

By: Eddie Baeb May 05, 2010

(Crain’s) — A proposed Roundy’s supermarket in Ravenswood is gaining traction, as one of the biggest local development firms is now leading the project and the city is poised to consider providing tax-increment financing.

At a community meeting Monday night, Magellan Development Group LLC was revealed as the new lead on the almost $50-million development slated for a 6.5-acre site near the corner of Lawrence and Ravenswood avenues in the North Side neighborhood. Sears Holdings Corp. owns the property...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=38102

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Magellan to lead Roundy’s project in Ravenswood

By: Eddie Baeb May 05, 2010

(Crain’s) — A proposed Roundy’s supermarket in Ravenswood is gaining traction, as one of the biggest local development firms is now leading the project and the city is poised to consider providing tax-increment financing.

At a community meeting Monday night, Magellan Development Group LLC was revealed as the new lead on the almost $50-million development slated for a 6.5-acre site near the corner of Lawrence and Ravenswood avenues in the North Side neighborhood. Sears Holdings Corp. owns the property...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=38102
I am sorry but despite this being much better than an empty lot, this strikes my as incredibly non-urban especially given that this is literally about 100 ft from a metra platform. If we cannnot get more dense development at this transit node, and the walk to the damen L stop ain't bad from there either we have little hope for dense TOD anywhere outside of central area.

This development is crap, little more than marginally dressed up autocentric crapola; the fact it is essentially adjacent to a major transit node should be seen as urban rape

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 4:37 PM

The article hints that Magellan is involved partially because it also has its sights on the 3.5 acres of land that will remain undeveloped to the north of the retail and garage. While a highrise may be a no go (thanks NIMBYs! ugh), Magellan won't waste their time with anything other than a reasonably dense high-ROI development there once the market rebounds --- I'm thinking 3-4 stories and probably comparable in density to the dense courtyard buildings that make up the surrounding context. I'm holding out hope that we'll yet see a hundred or more new residential units on the site, and further I just don't see the retail as being as bad as you say, particularly in light of Lawrence's impending streetscaping that will narrow the street and widen the sidewalks. Having a grocery and gym next to a transit stop, with the parking in rear and not butchering the sidewalk streetscape (i.e. no curb cuts on Lawrence), seems like pretty good transit-friendly development to me.

I'd like to see a cluster of mid-rise or high-rises around the stop too, but in the overall scheme of things I have trouble seeing a development hugging the lot lines, with parking set far away from the main arterial, and zero space wasted on asphalt surface lots or pointless plazas, as anything other than urban.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 7:47 PM
The City

^ We have yet to see whether CHA's plan for transformation will succeed or whether it will be a miserable failure. Part of its success depends largely on the demand for housing, especially housing in which 1/3 of residents came from demolished CHA buildings. It's a huge gamble Chicago is making, demolishing so much of its built environment. Will these new communities ever be completed?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
THAT Guy

It's official:

http://media.www.depauliaonline.com/...62-page2.shtml

Actor and comedian Fred Willard visits the Theatre School
Alex Soulier

...Amidst a resounding applause, Holtschneider then unveiled the forthcoming design and location of Theatre School.

"It will be located on the corner of Racine Ave. and Fullerton Ave.," DePaul's President said. "Designed by Cesar Pelli of Pelli Clarke Architectural firm, the Theatre School will be the western gateway to the DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus!"

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
If we cannnot get more dense development at this transit node, and the walk to the damen L stop ain't bad from there either we have little hope for dense TOD anywhere outside of central area.
I think it's clear from the article that we will not get more dense development at this site under current market conditions. If not for TIF, then the site would sit completely empty for another 5 years. So our choices are to either: (a) take the development as-is while mandating the urban form that Viva discussed, or (b) wait five years for some developer to propose townhomes or 3-5 story walkups on this site (anything taller is unrealistic in light of the NIMBYs in this area) quite possibly without TIF cash. Neither option is ideal, but holding out for a 10+ story high rise on this lot is completely unrealistic.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 1:05 AM

Grove Parc Plaza

View to the northwest

View to the south from 62nd Street

Bonus
Old Kennedy-King College demolition

View to the northeast from 69th

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 2:11 AM
TL;DR

Shame. The old Kennedy-King was actually pretty cool, what with the skybridges and all. Very Paul Rudolph. There's actually a good group of Brutalist/Modernist buildings on the South Side that are slowly disappearing... others include South Shore HS, etc.

Does anybody know what the City will do with the former Kennedy-King site along Wentworth?

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 5:36 AM

^ I have no doubt that we'll look back at the widespread demolition of Brutalist/Modernist architecture during the early 2000s and cringe the same way we do now when we think about the destruction of Victorian-era styles.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 1:25 PM
dream fast

5-5

Randolph Pocket Park

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 1:50 PM

^^^ What is going on with this park/ building? Are they going put something to cover that garbage wall that is still there?

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

Lame.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 6:17 PM
dream fast

5-5

New market, over by dare.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 8:27 PM
The City

^ Well, at least one ugly wall is being covered up..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development