HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:35 PM
Registered

^ I think they did this as a way to please the high-rises next-door and to win approval of the whole project. They are probably written into the PD so that they must remain. Plus, I am sure many of the buyers who are taking these units wouldn't otherwise have looked into the development, so a little diversity is a nice touch (even if the architecture should have rocked).

@Spyguy, thanks for this info. I've got to go up there to check this out ... I believe it's the first double-facade in Chicago (please correct me if I am wrong). Why did they mess up the design with those "contextual" side features, though? It looks silly to see a limestone arch on such a clean and modern building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ I think they did this as a way to please the high-rises next-door and to win approval of the whole project. They are probably written into the PD so that they must remain. Plus, I am sure many of the buyers who are taking these units wouldn't otherwise have looked into the development, so a little diversity is a nice touch (even if the architecture should have rocked).
Don't get me wrong: this is certainly better than nothing, and the architecture isn't terrible at all. There's just something about that rendering I find disconcerting, and something disconcerting in general about townhomes in locations like these. Maybe it's the abrupt change in scale; I mean, you go from towering behemoth to ground-hugger in a matter of a few dozen yards.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Damn, nice retort, shut down...

I hate to say it, but suburban schools really are better, I don't see how schools that get funded with wayyyy more tax dollars are worse or equal on average than schools with way less funding.
So why are my test scores and overall knowledge far greater than the average suburbanite if I went to such an awful underfunded inner city high school, while they had such awesome facilities and teachers?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
So why are my test scores and overall knowledge far greater than the average suburbanite if I went to such an awful underfunded inner city high school, while they had such awesome facilities and teachers?
I'd hate to get back into this in this thread, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
^ we're talking about averages, and 30% of chicago students can't do basic math once they reach highschool. OK, I pulled the "30%" from my ass because I can't remember the exact percentage, but you and I both know its an abysmal number. They teach you in CPschools these days that culture and believing in yourself are more important than truly understanding how to read and write.

Payton and Northside are outstanding schools. Plenty of brilliant kids go to Lane. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. But there is a reason that people move out to the suburbs (if they can) when they want their kids to get the best education they can get. Yeah, a neighbor from another country is great, but try writing that on your resume (if you even can write)
lets just agree that the averages in the suburbs (aka not a particular suburb) is better than the averages in the city. I'm too lazy to do research for you, but I've seen the numbers that come out every year, and I'm sure you've seen them, too. This thread isn't the place to discuss why that is, or why I'm wrong.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:39 AM
Urbane observer

Townhouses like this are a good way to cover up a parking podium, offer a human-scale frontage to the park, and appeal to a completely different purchaser market. Hat Trick!

These are at the base of highrises, not in places where you could have built another highrise.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

I would have preferred to see 10-15 story midrises in the place of these "parkhomes", not only that they look a bit Cuesta Verde in appearance, with those arches and all. Could've been a lot better.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:19 AM
TL;DR

They remind me a lot of the apartment buildings in Rome, with a few modern influences.

I REALLY hope Loewenberg and Magellan build the Market (a Treasure Island) and the elementary school.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:18 AM

yeah I wouldn't mind living there

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Because those are average test scores, the average does not imply that everyone has that score, it implies that it is the AVERAGE, as the name would suggest. In fact, it is quite possible that there are no children in the school system that have the average score because it is an average.

For example, if there are 10 kids in the CPS, and 5 of them get a 10 on the standardized test and the other 5 get a 0, then the average score is 5, yet no one got that score, how could this be?!?!?! Anyone who has taken basic math should know this, too bad Chicago Public Schools are so bad at teaching basic math.

By the way, I fucking hate the informations commons, it pisses me off so much that they put it where they did. It completely ruins the LAKESHORE effect of the LAKESHORE Campus. The entire student body opposed putting it where they did, they could have put it where the Jesuit Residence currently is, set back from the lake by 300 feet, but the bureaucracy of this school wouldn't listen to the students because they wanted those stupid walkways to connect to the library and Chapel. Those dumb walkways don't do anything for us students and only mar the outsides of those two gorgeous buildings while completely blocking our views and access to the lake. The administration at Loyola is out of control and does whatever it likes regardless of the effect it has on students and student opposition.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:16 AM
Registered

^ Agreed 100% about messing with the Rebori. Shame on them and the city for not coming up with a better solution. Anyone ever heard of underground walkways?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I REALLY hope Loewenberg and Magellan build the Market (a Treasure Island) and the elementary school.
The Treasure Island website says the store will open in Spring 2009.

http://www.tifoods.com/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Townhouses like this are a good way to cover up a parking podium, offer a human-scale frontage to the park, and appeal to a completely different purchaser market. Hat Trick!

These are at the base of highrises, not in places where you could have built another highrise.
Agreed. Efficient use of space, and much more aesthetically pleasing than blank-wall or screened parking.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 12:18 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

All true, yet the design could have and should have been so much better...they would have had solid sales velocity and easy $700+ psf pricing with something more modern and innovative.......many people still stubbornly, foolishly cling to the misnomer that modern townhouse design doesn't sell (this is apt to change quickly, however, as remember just 6 or 7 years ago a majority of developers probably thought modern mid and high-rise design wouldn't sell - and we all thankfully now realize just how monumentally wrong they all were)...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:57 AM

Edit: Deleted duplicate post

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
All true, yet the design could have and should have been so much better...they would have had solid sales velocity and easy $700+ psf pricing with something more modern and innovative.......many people still stubbornly, foolishly cling to the misnomer that modern townhouse design doesn't sell (this is apt to change quickly, however, as remember just 6 or 7 years ago a majority of developers probably thought modern mid and high-rise design wouldn't sell - and we all thankfully now realize just how monumentally wrong they all were)...
The Parkhomes at Aqua will have a contemporary facade. It will be interesting to see how quickly these move once marketing begins.

This rendering was posted by archytype 5/07 on the Aqua thread

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:03 AM

RE: the Parkhomes

Please tell me the reddish brown part will be brick. If so, this will be a nice change of pace from all the glass and concrete in the vicinity.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:34 AM
Registered

^Yes.

Quote:
Sam, do you have any stats showing the sales velocity of well-designed, modern buildings vs. run-of-the-mill junk? It would be very interesting to compare these numbers in an analytical fashion.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^Yes.

Sam, do you have any stats showing the sales velocity of well-designed, modern buildings vs. run-of-the-mill junk? It would be very interesting to compare these numbers in an analytical fashion.
I dont thnk you can compare this analytically unless you have a defined way of determining, without question, "well-designed" vs. "run-of-the-mill junk". There might exist run of the mill junk that fills up faster then well-designed modern buildings due to demand, the economy, and a multitude of different factors. I don't think that you can necessarially correlate the design of a building with the rate of occupancy. Im not trying to be an ass, but answering this question seemed much more appealing then working on my marekting research project. Just happened to be a coincidence that this question dealt with statistics and i was working on my project dealing with a similar field.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:38 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
many people still stubbornly, foolishly cling to the misnomer that modern townhouse design doesn't sell
What counter-example can you offer?

Phil Kupritz's Millennium townhouses sold very slowly, while across the street Dearborn Village sold out from plans. I think many developers saw that as a cautionary tale.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Nov 20, 2007 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 3:35 PM

Does anyone have a floor plan for the townhouses?

I am fairly unfamiliar with townhouses in general, but my initial impression is that is a lot of money to be asking for a home that has windows on only 1 side. Are there bedrooms in the back that are completely windowless?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development