HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The one thing I still dont understand is why I see more and more places TEARING OUT SHADE TREES

I will forgive lawns but stop. There is something wildly off with our incentives that we are removing the most crucial thing for this hot climate.
Where are you seeing that? I saw a lot of new trees downtown in Tempe and Phoenix recently.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Where are you seeing that? I saw a lot of new trees downtown in Tempe and Phoenix recently.
I've noticed it too recently. I drove down Mill about two weeks ago and noticed there were a lot of empty planters where ficus trees used to be. Most noticeably near the Shoe Mill.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
I grew up in Phoenix and played football with preseason practice in August. That being said I sure as heck wouldn't want to lug groceries around or whatever walking to an apartment or condo in that summer heat. And I currently live in Bellingham, WA and I am in Phoenix frequently as I have a condo there. So to respond to the remark on the cold weather comparison comment. The big difference is you can put on layers of clothing when it's cold or rainy in other cities as of yet they haven't develop a way to peal your skin off to walk thru that heat. So I still say there is no way the majority of people would want to go car less. Aren't EV's enough? Do we really have to take mass transit or Uber's everywhere? Be real, how practical is that?
Same here. Grew up in Phoenix, and had to do two-a-days for football in the brutal heat of August. Went and played tennis on the hottest day ever in Phoenix (over 120 official, 140 degrees on that court), so I'm 100% aware of what this place is. Truth is, it's a way, WAY better place now, what with both the endless car sprawl AND the light rail AND the EVs and new car-light infrastructure. Hell, even grocery delivery is a boon. Some folks pretend that the mere existence of other choices is some sort of forced death march. It isn't. We can chill and talk about how terrible it was to wear those helmets and pads in the heat while we are enjoying all the benefits of all the new choices. YOU MUST CHILL!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 12:43 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Aren't EV's enough? Do we really have to take mass transit or Uber's everywhere? Be real, how practical is that?
No, EVs aren't enough. In situations in which a car is the best option, they can be less harmful than an ICE vehicle. Even so, EVs have their own environmental issues and are an expensive solution. A healthy city supports a variety of transport options and does not default to all cars, all the time, no matter how those cars are powered.

That said, no one has said that "we really have to take mass transit or Uber's [sic] everywhere." Relaxing arbitrary parking regulations is about expanding choices, not limiting them. Developing a niche product for people who choose not to own cars does not take away anyone else's ability to own and operate one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Some folks pretend that the mere existence of other choices is some sort of forced death march.
There's a lot of parking paranoia in some of these comments.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I've noticed it too recently. I drove down Mill about two weeks ago and noticed there were a lot of empty planters where ficus trees used to be. Most noticeably near the Shoe Mill.
Do you mean the grain mill on the north side of Mill near Rio? They took out old dying Ficus trees and replanted new ones, they’re in as of last weekend. A lot of no trees on the north side of downtown Phoenix as well, from Hance Park all the way South to Van Buren. Will have some nice shady sidewalks in a few years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Do you mean the grain mill on the north side of Mill near Rio? They took out old dying Ficus trees and replanted new ones, they’re in as of last weekend. A lot of no trees on the north side of downtown Phoenix as well, from Hance Park all the way South to Van Buren. Will have some nice shady sidewalks in a few years.
There are plans to make a "Shade River" of trees in Hance Park in one of the refresh phases. Would LOVE to see that happen during the next few years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Same here. Grew up in Phoenix, and had to do two-a-days for football in the brutal heat of August. Went and played tennis on the hottest day ever in Phoenix (over 120 official, 140 degrees on that court), so I'm 100% aware of what this place is. Truth is, it's a way, WAY better place now, what with both the endless car sprawl AND the light rail AND the EVs and new car-light infrastructure. Hell, even grocery delivery is a boon. Some folks pretend that the mere existence of other choices is some sort of forced death march. It isn't. We can chill and talk about how terrible it was to wear those helmets and pads in the heat while we are enjoying all the benefits of all the new choices. YOU MUST CHILL!
I'm getting a real kick out of this conversation. Nothing new here. The key is choosing and choices. You are a lot braver than me. In the summer, we used to play tennis at daybreak - in the morning. Swimming is another option. I was swimming competitively by the time I was five years old. People used to say to me, "You're from here - you're used to it." Hell no! I just learned to deal with it. Your conversations about new choices/options - to help deal with it - are great! If you live in Buffalo and hate the cold, snowy winters. Move. If you can't stand the heat in the summer - you have choices. Moving is one of them. Years ago, I was sitting out in Fountain Hills - in the summer...and it was hot...but, I could smell the creosote bushes - the day after a summer monsoon. There was something comforting about it ...like "It's comforting to know how some things never change." Besides, if the desert summers were like coastal southern California - there would be 40 million people living in Maricopa County.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
I'm getting a real kick out of this conversation. Nothing new here. The key is choosing and choices. You are a lot braver than me. In the summer, we used to play tennis at daybreak - in the morning. Swimming is another option. I was swimming competitively by the time I was five years old. People used to say to me, "You're from here - you're used to it." Hell no! I just learned to deal with it. Your conversations about new choices/options - to help deal with it - are great! If you live in Buffalo and hate the cold, snowy winters. Move. If you can't stand the heat in the summer - you have choices. Moving is one of them. Years ago, I was sitting out in Fountain Hills - in the summer...and it was hot...but, I could smell the creosote bushes - the day after a summer monsoon. There was something comforting about it ...like "It's comforting to know how some things never change." Besides, if the desert summers were like coastal southern California - there would be 40 million people living in Maricopa County.
Couldn't agree more with the bold part above, love the smells, scenes, skies of summer. Yeah it's toasty but it's comforting in many ways, I do like that things slow down a bit from the busy spring season. It's a nice change of pace.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
I have seen multiple apartments and office complexes that have taken advantage of incentives to put in gravel and cactuses and fake grass which on their own aren't a problem but they've also torn out full grown. trees.

Clearly the incentives are written in a way that is pulling out shade trees along with grass. Just today my office building is "improving" their landscaping which apparently is tearing out around 15-20 large 20ish year-old trees that used to shade the eastern face of the building.

This is idiotic

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 8:16 PM

The Pier and South Pier:

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 9:19 PM

If I was a prospective resident of the pier, I'd be skeptical living in a tower that took 10 years to build as I'm sure there will be defects all over the place.... Or maybe it'll be the Taj Mahal of high rises with expert level craftsmanship for how long it's been!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:39 PM

Tempe city elections are being reported generally as a "pro-development" win. The 2050 general plan appears poised to pass easily, and of the 5 candidates for 3 council seats, the 2 that likely will not make the cut were viewed as the "anti-development" candidates.

https://arizonadigitalfreepress.com/...otes-reported/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...w/72934016007/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:49 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Tempe city elections are being reported generally as a "pro-development" win. The 2050 general plan appears poised to pass easily, and of the 5 candidates for 3 council seats, the 2 that likely will not make the cut were viewed as the "anti-development" candidates.

https://arizonadigitalfreepress.com/...otes-reported/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...w/72934016007/
It's interesting to have this outcome despite the defeat of the Coyotes deal. I'd say Tempe voters may be selective about development, especially subsidized development, but they're definitely not anti-development on the whole.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:16 PM
Skyriser

Or the candidates were just terrible.

https://www.davidforcouncil.org/why-im-running is a bizarre cringy rant.

Tapia wasn't as bad, but imagine characterizing a city as "overdeveloped" while simultaneously not understanding its general plan AND running for council. Embarassing.

Quote:
One of the items that will also be on the ballot in March is General Plan 2050. Tapia said he can understand both sides of the issue through the advice of his brother, Hector Tapia, who is the current director of development for the city of Nogales.
https://www.statepress.com/article/2...-city-council#

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's interesting to have this outcome despite the defeat of the Coyotes deal. I'd say Tempe voters may be selective about development, especially subsidized development, but they're definitely not anti-development on the whole.
I think the Coyotes defeat had to do more w/ the misinformation campaign that was firing on all cylinders versus voters being anti-development.

Now that time has passed, I'm guessing that landfill site has seen zero interest? LOL Is Tempe moving forward w/ remediation and passing cost to taxpayers yet?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:33 PM
Skyriser

The liability to taxpayers on the remediation, presuming that it is verifiably leaking into the water table and not just a likelihood, was an "any day now" in my interpretation and didn't have a specific timeline. I don't know who's doing the water quality studies there that would trigger such a beast anyways if they're done at all.

Complicated old things like hundred-year-old landfills don't fail on anyone's budget or timeline anyways, and the site is now cursed for someone trying to do something intensive there in the future.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:15 PM

Do any of y'all kno which vacant site this be? I am trippin over myself tryin to find which parcel it is...

https://azbex.com/local-news/tempe-c...-housing-site/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Do any of y'all kno which vacant site this be? I am trippin over myself tryin to find which parcel it is...

https://azbex.com/local-news/tempe-c...-housing-site/
Here's the deed:

https://recorder.maricopa.gov/recdoc...ec=20240098217

From what I can tell it's the vacant lots to the south of the Dorsey/Apache light rail stop:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4146...8192?entry=ttu

I've been wondering if/when those would get developed. 40-50 units seems a little light, but given the proximity to the SFH neighborhood that has fought other more dense proposals nearby, it could be worse.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Here's the deed:

https://recorder.maricopa.gov/recdoc...ec=20240098217

From what I can tell it's the vacant lots to the south of the Dorsey/Apache light rail stop:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4146...8192?entry=ttu

I've been wondering if/when those would get developed. 40-50 units seems a little light, but given the proximity to the SFH neighborhood that has fought other more dense proposals nearby, it could be worse.
Do you know what's going to happen with that neighboring Oak St. proposal that was killed by the neighborhood? Congrats on them for keeping a blighted motel in place....

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Do you know what's going to happen with that neighboring Oak St. proposal that was killed by the neighborhood? Congrats on them for keeping a blighted motel in place....
I think the entitlements lapsed, so as far as I know there is nothing on the books there. As you say, and as people on this forum said at the time, seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

On the subject of Apache, I ate at Cocina Chiwas over the weekend (which was fantastic) and walked around Culdesac a bit. On the ground, at least in the commercial area on the west end, they really seemed to have achieved their vision. At night, with the lights, it was really pleasant and well done. You can decide for yourselves if I'm now part of the Culdesac marketing team

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest