HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 8:21 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Inside source tells me that there is a project upcoming to clear out the bus shelters.
A project?! Why don't they just assign some social services people to the cadets and have them work to move people to more appropriate placements? This way, they can address some of the social and health issues as they meet people and work with them to assess their needs. I've never understood why we don't put the cadets to better use.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Inside source tells me that there is a project upcoming to clear out the bus shelters.
They can start with the 1996 bylaw that prohibits people from soliciting drivers while they are at a regular red light controlled intersection. Ignoring that is where it all started.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:04 AM

Cleaning out the bus shacks only deals with one-half of the equation. Where are you going to do with those people when you clear them out?

Unless we see some renewed interest from both the city and the province to put more funding into social services, the problems will persist.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 4:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
They can start with the 1996 bylaw that prohibits people from soliciting drivers while they are at a regular red light controlled intersection. Ignoring that is where it all started.
They had signs at controlled intersections in Surrey, BC saying approaching stopped vehicles was prohibited!

Here in Winnipeg anything goes, wander in traffic no problem...

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
A project?! Why don't they just assign some social services people to the cadets and have them work to move people to more appropriate placements? This way, they can address some of the social and health issues as they meet people and work with them to assess their needs. I've never understood why we don't put the cadets to better use.
From what I understand it will involve social services agencies along with WPS. Cadets don't have the power to make them move out.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:17 PM

So far 9 candidates in and seems none of them want to discuss or propose policies just want to talk about their personalities or vague political correctness talk of bringing everyone to the table and giving everyone a voice whatever that means. The city is crying out for sound policies and nuts and bolts basic action and the candidates all want to run away from that.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 4:35 PM

this is going to be crazy

already in per city website:

1 Motkaluk, 2 Woodstock, 3 Clacio, 4 Shone, 5 Gillingham, 6 RFO, 7 Loney, 8 Adelakun, 9 Bokhari

who else are we expecting? i've heard speculation about Murray, Klein, Lukes, Squires, Orlikow, Wyatt?

will the uncertainty of a 10+ candidate ballot keep the remaining council incumbents from putting their hats in the ring? are the remaining ones waiting to see if murray is in or out?

Last edited by borkborkbork; May 29, 2022 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:00 PM

We need some form of ranked-choice voting for municipal elections. At this rate, whoever wins is going only get like 20% of the vote. Not exactly a strong democratic mandate.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:18 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
this is going to be crazy

already in per city website:

1 Motkaluk, 2 Woodstock, 3 Clacio, 4 Shone, 5 Gillingham, 6 RFO, 7 Loney, 8 Adelakun, 9 Bokhari

who else are we expecting? i've heard speculation about Murray, Klein, Lukes, Squires, Orlikow, Wyatt?

will the uncertainty of a 10+ candidate ballot keep the remaining council incumbents from putting their hats in the ring? are the remaining ones waiting to see if murray is in or out?
Squires will definitely be running after June 1.

City definitely needs a ranked ballot system. The problem is that they have no power into making that change. I believe it's the province who has that power (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:24 PM

City needs ranked balotts and a party system for council like Montreal has. Nothing gets done if we continue to just get crusty personalities with no vision or platform they are running on.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:24 PM
surely you agree with me

Lord help us.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:29 PM

If some of the candidates truly want to get involved in politics, why the hell don't they run for councillor?

Bokhari placed 3rd in her riding in an election as the leader of a provincial party (albeit a political party run by the U of W Poli Sci student body). She has no record. Run for council, build a record, some experience in elected politics and try again in 4 years.

Same as someone like Motkaluk. Are you going to run for mayor every 4 years? Get on council or a school board at least and give people some idea of how you lead, where you fall on policy decisions.

Same goes for Loney.

Can't believe how many candidates just think they can jump in at the top job in a very large city with absolutely no record as an elected politician at any level. It would be ridiculous in a smaller city but extra stupid in a city heading toward 1 million residents.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:29 PM

Its tough to gage who will win as the left vote is already split between several candidates and so is the right with Squires likely to join. I would give a slight edge at this point to motkaluk and Gillingham it doesn't look like Klein will run with a crowd of candidates this crowded.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
City needs ranked balotts and a party system for council like Montreal has. Nothing gets done if we continue to just get crusty personalities with no vision or platform they are running on.
Disagree on the party system.

I think we need some of the political class here, the unelected types, to be honest with the candidates and encourage people who truly want to get involved to do so at the grassroots of politics. Very few of these candidates even have experience on community-level boards or service like that. Get elected to a school board, participate in community councils, attend committee meetings, speak at committee and council meetings, run for council, run for MLA, SERVE THE COMMUNITY. Build a profile.

Cannot believe how many people just think, "oh I'll run for mayor" or in Bokhari's case now Premier and Mayor with zero political experience. In both cases you're serving a constituency that's approaching or just over a million people. It's not an entry-level political position but unfortunately it's being treated that way.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Disagree on the party system.

I think we need some of the political class here, the unelected types, to be honest with the candidates and encourage people who truly want to get involved to do so at the grassroots of politics. Very few of these candidates even have experience on community-level boards or service like that. Get elected to a school board, participate in community councils, attend committee meetings, run for council, run for MLA, SERVE THE COMMUNITY. Build a profile.

Cannot believe how many people just think, "oh I'll run for mayor" or in Bokhari's case now Premier and Mayor with zero political experience. In both cases you're serving a constituency that's approaching or just over a million people. It's not an entry-level political position but unfortunately it's being treated that way.
I disagree without party platforms and some form of organization you get what we have had the past 40 years mind numbingly bad lack of vision and crusty loons who control their wards like their own little fiefdoms and contribute nothing.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Its tough to gage who will win as the left vote is already split between several candidates and so is the right with Squires likely to join. I would give a slight edge at this point to motkaluk and Gillingham it doesn't look like Klein will run with a crowd of candidates this crowded.
Squires is actually kind of a middle of the road type ideologically. I think she'd be a reasonable mayor, but she might want to get some media training. She's pretty abrupt with media questions in press conferences as a cabinet minister and she'll be handling even more direct questioning on her personal decisions as mayor.

I think it'll end up being her and Gillingham as front runners. They are kind of competing for the same mark.

Loney would be transformational but doesn't have the profile or backing to get elected IMO.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
I disagree without party platforms and some form of organization you get what we have had the past 40 years mind numbingly bad lack of vision and crusty loons who control their wards like their own little fiefdoms and contribute nothing.
How is it any different at the provincial level? Then you're just at the whim of whichever ideology won the last election.

Need people who can work together to compromise, that's really the issue. Party system doesn't address that. IMO it makes it even worse.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
If some of the candidates truly want to get involved in politics, why the hell don't they run for councillor?

snip

Can't believe how many candidates just think they can jump in at the top job in a very large city with absolutely no record as an elected politician at any level. It would be ridiculous in a smaller city but extra stupid in a city heading toward 1 million residents.
They see people like Susan Thompson, Sam Katz and Brian Bowman get elected mayor with no prior political experience and think that they can do the same thing,

I do agree with you though that anybody running for may should have prior experience in some sort of elected position (MLA, city council or school trustee)

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:47 PM

I rather have a NDP led or PC led council that proposed say 5 platform ideas and got them done than waiting to see if Jeff Browaty wants a new port o potty at a city park or extending splash pad service by a few days.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
I rather have a NDP led or PC led council that proposed say 5 platform ideas and got them done than waiting to see if Jeff Browaty wants a new port o potty at a city park or extending splash pad service by a few days.
Browaty is one vote of fifteen though.

We don't need partisan politics further infiltrating at the municipal level. The fact we can have some pragmatism at that level is the only thing saving our communities from complete ruin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan