HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:53 AM
Lahaina Strong

Their demo permit they have now is for "non structural" demolition. I suppose those brick walls aren't structural, the concrete bits are though. I'd be interested to hear why they are taking out a portion of the back wall so soon.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 10:06 PM
Space Magi

Sounds like it's over folks. All permits have been issued and the judge struck down STUPT's lawsuit today, so the demolition will proceed as planned starting tomorrow, April 19th.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 10:20 PM

Finally!! I just hope Valentine doesn't try to create a human blockade with he and his friends/supporters. I am happy to see this moving forward.

thanks Atlas for all of your updates.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 12:45 AM

When do with expect the tower to officially "start construction"?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 3:41 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Sounds like it's over folks. All permits have been issued and the judge struck down STUPT's lawsuit today, so the demolition will proceed as planned starting tomorrow, April 19th.
Bless that judge.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:13 AM
Space Magi

It seems like STUPT could have offered to buy the majority of interior elements of the theatre from Hines and then later fundraise to buy some land and rebuild the theatre somewhere else. Probably too late now but I wonder if they considered this.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:39 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Pictures from some of the demo that happened yesterday on https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/the...s-coming-down/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 4:01 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Pictures from some of the demo that happened yesterday on https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/the...s-coming-down/
I had no clue that was a parking garage. Parking garages should look like that more often.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:09 PM

Demolition progress?

I haven't been downtown in a while, does anyone know how demolition has progressed? Is it totally done?

I'd love to see some pictures if anyone has any/wants to go take some.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:44 AM

I was downtown this evening and drove by the site.The theater is all demolished. The two small structures directly south of the theater site are still standing, however.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
I was downtown this evening and drove by the site.The theater is all demolished. The two small structures directly south of the theater site are still standing, however.
That is good to know. Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:40 PM
Ironweed

Have the structures facing Main street been demolished yet?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:38 PM

They've made it halfway through the facades on Main.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 12:47 PM

Just wondering, but is there a reason for having this thread continue on as something separate from Salt Lake City? Many of you probably remember that a few years back the local forum overwhelmingly voted to consolidate a number of the threads into Provo MSA, Salt City Proper & Ogden MSA. The major point was to not create separate threads for each tower or what would be considered a major project but to put them within their respective boundaries. Whatever you guys want is fine with me. I guess as long as it doesn't get out of control again like it did in the past.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 12:57 PM

I was made because the conversation would monopolize the other thread with toxic back and forth. I’m cool as the building is now gone. But I believe the exception was valid.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:06 PM

With that in mind EPDesign, I totally understand and agree. Moving forward the forum will do whatever feels comfortable. Though I would like to see the SLC Sticky always get preferential treatment when possible.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 4:45 PM

Now that the controversy is over and the theater is coming down, we can merge back to the main thread, IMO

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:13 PM
Space Magi

The saga continues. New BSL article goes into the story behind the delays:

A year after demolishing the Utah Theater, Hines is set to miss first development deadline

Quote:
Hines was expected to break ground on a 31-story building near 150 S. Main St. by March 31, according to the development agreement between the Texas-based developer and the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency, which was signed in late 2021.

But in the wake of a broad slowdown in new development projects in the capital city and across the country, Hines has struggled to secure a new capital partner who can follow through with the project. The group will miss the March 31 anticipated start date.

Documents reviewed by Building Salt Lake provide new details about what was expected of Hines after the city gave land to the developer at no cost, along with the expected timelines. They also lay out the potential path forward if the broader market shift derails one of the most politically fraught development projects in the city in recent memory.

“Hines Development has communicated to us that the 150 Main project is experiencing delays,” Amanda Greenland, a spokeswoman for the RDA, said in a statement. “We are currently working with Hines, within the context of our agreement, to explore all our options.”

According to the development agreement, Hines is “not entitled to an extension of any such deadline.” If the developer requests an extension from the RDA, “the Developer agrees that the RDA may decide to grant, modify, or decline such request, in the RDA’s sole but reasonable discretion.”
Frustrating but it's good to know that the city has options if the developer doesn't deliver. Hopefully they get it figured out.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 3:44 AM
Exit 298

Tale as old as time: "We gotta hurry to demolish. No time to waste evaluating its historic properties!"

[sits as an empty hole in the ground for 11 years]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West