HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:32 PM
somewhere in-between

A common theme in Northern Michigan right now is a shortage of housing, specifically year-round housing and workforce housing. Along with many other municipalities, Charlevoix and Boyne City are navigating this challenge in their own ways. In Charlevoix, city officials are considering zoning changes that would incentivize higher-density, year-round housing options while maintaining the single-family residential character of the area (a tricky tightrope to balance upon). Specific zoning changes include:
  • Allow fourplexes in residential zones if all of the housing units are year-round residential.
  • Allow duplexes in single family zones when dividing an existing structure and/or making a minimal expansion of an existing structure.
  • Allow duplexes in single family zones with new structures designed in harmony with the existing neighboring structures (larger lot requirements may apply).
  • Allow taller buildings downtown and in commercial districts if the are designed for year-round residential.
  • Create overlay zones near (walkable) centers of employment, downtown, and medical areas.
  • Establish live / work zones in under-utilized Industrial Park areas.
  • Prohibit any additional short-term rentals of residences in existing residential zones
  • Establish minimal rental periods for short-term rental properties in residential districts.
Quote:
Charlevoix chips away at housing problem
Annie Doyle Charlevoix Courier
January 7, 2021
A year-round, multi-family housing redevelopment on May St. - designed to reflect the single-family nature of the neighborhood -

Source: Annie Doyle | Charlevoix Courier

In nearby Boyne City, city officials have similar priorities. In February 2019, the City Commission approved an amendment to the city's zoning ordinance to remove limitations on the number of stories a building may have, regardless of zoning district (but without changing the maximum height limits). As a result, several denser proposals started to come forward. Woodward Real Estate LLC submitted plans in February 2019 for a 3-story, mixed-use building at the southeast corner of North and N. Lake Streets (216 N. Lake St.) with 6 residential units. I'm not 100% sure, but it does not appear that this project has started construction.

Elevations of the proposed 3-story development at 216 N. Lake St. -

Source: Boyne City Planning Commission

A second, larger development - known as "Lofts on Lake Street" - was also submitted around the same time, consisting of a 4-story, mixed-use building at the southeast corner of State and N. Lake Streets with 48 residential units. This would occupy an L-shaped footprint and take about about 200 ft. along Lake St. The partnering developers - Michigan Community Capital (MCC) and Lansing-based Gillespie Group - ultimately revised the proposal down to 3-stories / 42 units and it was approved unanimously by the Planning Commission in May 2019. Gillespie partnered with Integrated Architecture for the design, which makes references to the existing local architecture. Both sites are situated across the road from Veterans Park and the Lake Charlevoix waterfront. Groundbreaking was initially planned for Fall 2020, but as of May 2020, MCC was still working to secure additional grant funding, and it was anticipated that this could push into 2021.

February 2019 images of the Lofts on Lake Street, included with the pre-application packet and showing the 4-story option -

Revised May 2019 images of the pared-down and approved proposal, for a 3-story development -

News References -

Quote:
Boyne City planners OK 'Lofts on Lake Street' development plan
Steve Zucker | Petoskey News-Review
May 21, 2019
Quote:
City eliminates building story limitations in zoning rules
Steve Zucker | Petoskey News-Review
February 14, 2019

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 24, 2021 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:02 AM
somewhere in-between

Cadillac -

Perhaps the biggest thing going on in Cadillac right now (in terms of development) is the newly-opened, $9.2 million Cadillac Lofts. This project, first discussed in 2017, broke ground in 2019 and Phase 1 opened in September 2020 after some COVID-19 construction delays. It include three floors of apartment units (42 residences total) atop ground floor retail. The project address is 207 S. Mitchell St. (corner of South Mitchell Street and East Cass Street in downtown Cadillac) - the former location of a grocery store.

The project is funded by MCC (Michigan Community Capital) and the apartments are considered "workforce housing - a term I'm finding quite frequently in Northern Michigan developments. 85% of its residential units are priced at 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) rates. The remainder are market-rate. This is the first notable apartment development in Cadillac in a decade and a half, and it looks like it was needed. It reached 100% occupancy on the residential side very quickly, which bodes well for Phase 2 - a "mirror image" building of the first one is planned, for about $10 million.

The city has a longer term goal with this project - it hopes to provide future developers with a precedent that investment in new construction in Cadillac can pay off -

Quote:
Residents begin moving into Cadillac Lofts
Karen Hopper Usher | Cadillac News
September 28, 2020
Cadillac Lofts Rendering -

Source: Northern Express

A finished kitchen in one of the units -

Source: MCC

Site plan from May 2019, showing the ultimate arrangement of both buildings -

Source: MCC

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:59 AM

Pretty cool:

Upper Peninsula's Chippewa County to host Michigan rocket launch command center

Quote:
Chippewa County in the Upper Peninsula has been picked as the future location for a proposed command and control center for Michigan's effort to launch rockets into space.

The site is at Chippewa County International Airport, less than half an hour drive from Sault Ste. Marie. The airport was once home to the former Kincheloe Air Force Base, which closed in 1977.

The news, announced Thursday via Zoom, marks the third and final site selection for the Michigan Launch Initiative, a program aiming to send satellites into orbit in coming years. The effort is not guaranteed, but it has enjoyed support from both business and state government officials. State Rep. Joe Tate, D-Detroit, on Thursday, noted during the presentation that "Michigan has your back as we move forward into this new frontier."

The command center, which, officials said, could employ 80 to 100 people, would be roughly midway between the two launch sites. The center would, among other things, help track the increasing number of manmade objects in space in order to avoid collisions.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:32 PM
somewhere in-between

Thanks for sharing that! I hadn't heard anything about it in a while and stopped tracking the news on it. It's too bad Michigan did not make the cut for the new US Space Command HQ (though not surprising). So, if fully-realized -
*Kincheloe is a bit of an oddity, in a way. After the Air Force Base closed in the 1970's and 10,000 jobs left the area, the community that supported it managed to hang on as an unincorporated community and pivot to a prison-centric employment base. There's still a pseudo-town there with suburban-esque cul-de-sacs. It's rather bizarre really, at least compared to the traditional growth of most Michigan towns.

That rendering you shared is of the proposed vertical launch site, near Marquette. As another article mentions, "We’re not building a Cape Canaveral" - but this is still going to have an uphill battle (especially this site, since it is a natural landscape without pre-existing infrastructure like the other two sites).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I hadn't heard anything about it in a while and stopped tracking the news on it. It's too bad Michigan did not make the cut for the new US Space Command HQ (though not surprising). So, if fully-realized -
*Kincheloe is a bit of an oddity, in a way. After the Air Force Base closed in the 1970's and 10,000 jobs left the area, the community that supported it managed to hang on as an unincorporated community and pivot to a prison-centric employment base. There's still a pseudo-town there with suburban-esque cul-de-sacs. It's rather bizarre really, at least compared to the traditional growth of most Michigan towns.

That rendering you shared is of the proposed vertical launch site, near Marquette. As another article mentions, "We’re not building a Cape Canaveral" - but this is still going to have an uphill battle (especially this site, since it is a natural landscape without pre-existing infrastructure like the other two sites).
The launch site location is proposed just north of Marquette at the famous Granot Loma property. This property is home to the world's largest log cabin and was built by Louis Kaufman after he was denied membership to the Huron Mountain Club . The biggest hurdle and push back will be environmental activism. Here is a link to Granot Loma

https://granotloma.com/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 9:17 PM

^True I was very excited and all for until I saw the location for the vertical launch site was in the middle of my favorite stretch of Michigan wilderness ... now I’m conflicted. Damn good project for the state as a whole possibly more important than we can realize at the moment and I get it makes much sense to be close to Marquette which would effect some pristine wildness in all likelihood but man it’s a hard sell for me without knowing more specifics.

The Huron Mountains and the coast NW of Marquette are one of my favorite places on earth and the proposed site is roughly in between these spots.

Ives lake area taken on the breakfast knoll which is public land just outside of the Huron Mountain Club

Jacob Merick

Near Hidden Beach area of Wetmore Landing a nice shallow sandy bay with downright balmy summer water temps by Lake Superior standard last time I was there a few years ago during a heatwave the water was 77 degrees according to NOAA

Ann Teliczan

Huron Mountains near Mountain Lake

Huron Mountain Wildlife Foundation

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 12:21 AM
somewhere in-between

How have I not heard of Granot Loma? That thing is huge! So would it actually be on that property somewhere? And is the property for sale? The Granot Loma website says it is (but the copyright at the bottom of the web page is from 2017, so likely not current). The last "For Sale" listing on Zillow is from 2019 ($19.5 million), and Zillow says it's off the market now. The listing has been posted and removed several times, all at $19.5 million, between 2016 and 2019. Prior to that, the current owner had listed it for $40 million, and that included an additional 4,600 acres of property. So perhaps some of this 4,600 acres is where the Launch Pad would go?

I'm conflicted too... there's nowhere else in the UP where they could put this? I guess it's not something most people would want in their vicinity, hence the remote location.

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 31, 2021 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
So perhaps some of this 4,600 acres is where the Launch Pad would go?

Yes, the property is huge.

I'm conflicted too... there's nowhere else in the UP where they could put this? I guess it's not something most people would want in their vicinity, hence the remote location.
Anywhere else would be even more remote. They want to be near the big lake on one side and remote on the other for obvious safety reasons.

I'm actually not too conflicted yet, as there is not near enough information on the proposal. They said the foot print would be very small and remember, this current site is already private so it would not be taking any public access away. it would literally be in a place where 99.99% have never stepped foot or saw because of its private seclusion and all the places people currently visit would most likely be untouched. If this ever "gets off the ground" this could be a great thing for Northern Michigan/ U.P. and Michigan as a whole as we move toward the mid 21st century. Let's all see what is actually being proposed first. It deserves a fair shake in my opinion and I love the lake and the woods, but if done right it could work.

Last edited by joemits; Jan 31, 2021 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 2:36 AM

(Photo from Veridea Group website)
The old First National Bank and Trust building constructed in 1926 under world renowned banker and Marquette native Louis G Kaufman( also built Granot Loma) was recently bought by the Veridea Group and will see a $10 million dollar renovation. The underutilized four building structure currently houses Flagstar Bank and Travel Marquette. This renovation will allow the East Coast cyber-security firm Northcross Group to expand into Marquette and bring up to 200 jobs. Northcross recently partnered with Northern Michigan University to create a 2 year cyber security degree. Other tenants will include Investup, a restaurant and perhaps educational and some government agencies. News article link below:
https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...own-marquette/
Veridea Group link:
http://www.verideagroup.com/veridea-...tte-buildings/

Last edited by joemits; Jan 31, 2021 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 10:37 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

You guys must know that there used to be a sounding rocket launch site at the end of the Keewanaw Peninsula? (Of course, sounding rockets are much smaller scale).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keweenaw_Rocket_Range

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
You guys must know that there used to be a sounding rocket launch site at the end of the Keewanaw Peninsula? (Of course, sounding rockets are much smaller scale).

Never knew that. Interesting

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:54 PM
somewhere in-between

I just found that out on Saturday too, while googling about!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post

I didn't know about this either. Really cool! Adding it to my bucket list.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:32 PM
somewhere in-between

Mackinac Island -

The Grand Hotel's famous swimming pool area is undergoing significant remodeling during this off-season. Renovated upgrades include:
  • New family-friendly area with a zero-depth beach entry, water jet play area, and water slide
  • Fifteen reservable cabanas that will include food and beverage service
  • A new large heated whirlpool, and private adults-only pool area featuring an infinity edge
  • Expanded seating areas including new pool furniture for the pool deck, terrace and lawn
  • Reconstructed and expanded pool house - to contain a fitness center, new meeting and event space, and bathhouse with upscale changing rooms, lockers and showers
  • New pool bar and kitchen
  • Dedicated private outdoor event space

The hotel opens for its 135th season on Friday, May 7, 2021, under the new direction of Davidson Resorts (into their second season of managing the hotel) -

Quote:
Sneak peek at Mackinac Island’s Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area
Tanda Gmiter | MLive
Updated January 19, 2021; Posted January 08, 2021

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:40 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post

(Photo from Veridea Group website)
The old First National Bank and Trust building constructed in 1926 under world renowned banker and Marquette native Louis G Kaufman( also built Granot Loma) was recently bought by the Veridea Group and will see a $10 million dollar renovation. The underutilized four building structure currently houses Flagstar Bank and Travel Marquette. This renovation will allow the East Coast cyber-security firm Northcross Group to expand into Marquette and bring up to 200 jobs. Northcross recently partnered with Northern Michigan University to create a 2 year cyber security degree. Other tenants will include Investup, a restaurant and perhaps educational and some government agencies. News article link below:
https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...own-marquette/
Veridea Group link:
http://www.verideagroup.com/veridea-...tte-buildings/
Well, that's timely! And just as we were talking about Granot Loma. That FNB edifice is a beautiful building. Seems like a great renovation plan. Good find - I'll add it to the ever-growing project rundown on pg. 1

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 2, 2021 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:45 PM
somewhere in-between

Keeping with the Grand Hotel (and just slightly less recent), the hotel unveiled its Cupola Suites in 2019. The Cupola Suites restore the hotel’s original 1887 roofline, complete with 24 dormers. The 12 Suites brought the total room count to 397. It was a technically challenging project. The designers and builders had to contend with existing structural elements, floor level shifts, a tight (winter) construction timeline, and historical context in order to fit these luxury rooms without making them feel forced. I think they succeeded!

Source (first 3 images): The River Grand Rapids | Courtesy Grand Hotel

Source: The Detroit News | Courtesy Grand Hotel

Source (Images 5 - end): Grand Hotel

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:53 PM
somewhere in-between

Cadillac -

Another "timely" update. Phase 2 of the Cadillac Lofts project, first mentioned in Post #62, is scheduled to begin this summer, with vertical construction taking place later in 2022. The phase 1 lofts are at 98% occupancy, and one of the ground floor retail spaces is now occupied by a Jimmy Johns.

Quote:
Second phase of Cadillac Lofts to begin this summer
Chris Lamphere | Cadillac News
January 27, 2021

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:31 PM
somewhere in-between

Iron Mountain, Houghton, and Munising are all getting MEDC Michigan Strategic Fund dollars to support new housing developments in historic, downtown buildings -

Quote:
New housing options coming to three Upper Michigan communities
TV6 News Team
February 02, 2021

Iron Mountain - Eden Property Collection LLC plans to convert an underutilized, obsolete second floor of a historic mixed-use building that once served as the town fire hall into seven residential apartments in downtown Iron Mountain. When completed, the Sandstone Studios project will consist of one and two-bedroom market-rate units and a rooftop terrace that will offer common outdoor space and sustainable green elements to the residents...

Houghton - Rental Rehab at 510 and 515 Shelden Avenue. The project will activate new residential space in two historic, mixed-use buildings in the heart of downtown. One includes the transformation of the entire vacant second floor in the building at 515 Shelden into five residential units. The other building is a portion of the historic Lode Theater at 510 Shelden, where two new residential units will be created in the vacant portion of the building...

Munising - Harley Apartments Rental Rehab project at 102 East Munising. The project will activate new residential space on the second floor of an existing historic, mixed-use building in the heart of downtown. When completed, the currently vacant and uninhabitable building with include three new one-bedroom apartments on the second floor, with retail space on the first floor...
Of the three projects, only the Iron Mountain one seems to have any renderings (it's also the most sizeable). Eden Property Collection purchased the property in 2019. The renderings look compelling, and the design is by Blomquist Architects (local firm, the same firm that is behind the Erickson Center for the Arts PAC in Curtis) -

Source: Eden Property Collection | Sandstone Studios Gallery

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:27 PM
somewhere in-between

Not to imply that there isn't enough to cover on here already, but I'm tempted to "redefine" the regional boundaries covered by this thread.

There is no single, true geographic definition of "Northern Michigan" - it depends on who you ask and what their point of reference is. One explanation that I read recently (which I would mostly agree with) is that US Route 10 is the general dividing line. That would mean we could include places like Mason County / Ludington, Lake County / Baldwin, and Osceola County / Reed City, etc. Instead of a straight line across the state, it would veer southeast, towards the Saginaw Bay region. I think it gets a little more unclear near the eastern terminus of Route 10. Midland and Bay City do not register as "Up North" in my mind. And besides, they already have a dedicated thread.

It's hard to deny that places like Ludington are Northern. And there's a few things going on in Ludington and elsewhere that might be worth sharing on here (which is what got me thinking about this in the first place). Just a thought. Anyway, what do you (three or four) think?

Source (base map image): Wikipedia

that, vs. my previous (working) diagram, with US Route 10 superimposed -

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:52 PM

I agree that US 10 is sort of the threshold where the more urbanized areas drop off heading North. It's particularly defining driving 75 North at the split M-13 / Wilder Road

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest