HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #941  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 5:45 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IIRC, Magellan would still be on the hook for building the new school... but Magellan and Ald. Reilly had indicated that CPS didn't have the budget to staff and operate it.

That always seemed like a too-convenient excuse to me, they were able to double the size of South Loop Elementary.

Of course, if no school gets built, then families with school-age children are probably gonna avoid LSE and go to other areas where schools are more convenient - even though LSE with its ample open space would seem to be ideal for kids vs. a more concrete jungle environment.
We have school aged children here in the East Loop but I see more in the South Loop. . . has to do with a) Jones College Prep b) British School c) Dearborn Park d) Roosevelt Road xfers and e) skateboard park at the south end of Grant Park. . . seems like the South Loop is a more well rounded urban environment for that than the East Loop. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #942  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:36 PM
takascar takascar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 148
Any Updates?

Can't seem to find any information on a construction schedule for sub-projects in Lincoln Yards.

Do you think they are waiting for litigation to be complete before beginning work?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #943  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:57 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
Can't seem to find any information on a construction schedule for sub-projects in Lincoln Yards.

Do you think they are waiting for litigation to be complete before beginning work?
I've seen the RFP, site development should break ground next spring.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #944  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:05 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
Can't seem to find any information on a construction schedule for sub-projects in Lincoln Yards.

Do you think they are waiting for litigation to be complete before beginning work?
What litigation?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #945  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:00 PM
sox102 sox102 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I've seen the RFP, site development should break ground next spring.
Power has been bidding out some trades off of 75% Design Development drawings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #946  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:53 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
Power has been bidding out some trades off of 75% Design Development drawings.
For what scope? Infrastructure or buildings?
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #947  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:45 PM
sox102 sox102 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
For what scope? Infrastructure or buildings?
The building on Parcel A.2
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #948  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 8:50 PM
rgarri4's Avatar
rgarri4 rgarri4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 872
Updated flythrough from my 3d model of Chicago
Video Link
__________________
Renderings, Animations, VR
Youtube
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #949  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 2:10 AM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
Show me the blueprints
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 8,522
__________________
Only if you're looking can it find you

No, it's not pronounced "Keeve."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #950  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 8:04 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,972
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #951  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 12:37 AM
CCCguy CCCguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Repurpose

The USA doesn't do it like Europe. After living here in Barcelona for four years, I have seen many old factories be turned into community centers, work shares, apartments, and offices.

It really is sad they weren't willing to work with buildings that were there. It would have made the neighborhood that much more unique. Now empty lots. Beautiful.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #952  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 12:55 AM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCguy View Post
It really is sad they weren't willing to work with buildings that were there. It would have made the neighborhood that much more unique. Now empty lots. Beautiful.
SB had to make sure the land "blighted" or else they wouldn't get all that sweet taxpayer funding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #953  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 9:22 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCguy View Post
The USA doesn't do it like Europe. After living here in Barcelona for four years, I have seen many old factories be turned into community centers, work shares, apartments, and offices.

It really is sad they weren't willing to work with buildings that were there. It would have made the neighborhood that much more unique. Now empty lots. Beautiful.

The US definitely re-purposes plenty of factories...
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #954  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 5:47 PM
CrazyCres's Avatar
CrazyCres CrazyCres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Behind You
Posts: 320
Any updates on when they'll start construction on 2050 North Dominick?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #955  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 12:09 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCguy View Post
The USA doesn't do it like Europe. After living here in Barcelona for four years, I have seen many old factories be turned into community centers, work shares, apartments, and offices.

It really is sad they weren't willing to work with buildings that were there. It would have made the neighborhood that much more unique. Now empty lots. Beautiful.
I'm the first to cheer for creative re-use projects, but not all industrial buildings are created alike. The Finkl buildings were not really suited for re-use, really nothing that could be turned into housing or offices. And most of them were 1950s steel prefab sheds, not a lot of the skilled brickwork or bomb-proof concrete you see in other large complexes.

If you're looking for adaptive reuse, there's plenty of creative proposals in this area alone... R2's entire portfolio is re-use, including the Pickens Kane warehouse on Goose Island and the Morton Salt shed on Elston.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #956  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:42 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm the first to cheer for creative re-use projects, but not all industrial buildings are created alike. The Finkl buildings were not really suited for re-use, really nothing that could be turned into housing or offices. And most of them were 1950s steel prefab sheds, not a lot of the skilled brickwork or bomb-proof concrete you see in other large complexes.

If you're looking for adaptive reuse, there's plenty of creative proposals in this area alone... R2's entire portfolio is re-use, including the Pickens Kane warehouse on Goose Island and the Morton Salt shed on Elston.
Would have made excellent film studios. Nearly identical to the old Ryerson Complex that Cinespace took over. Mix of old sawtooth prewar stuff and newer steel sheds.
__________________
Real Estate Bubble 2.0 in full effect:

Reddit.com/r/REbubble
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #957  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:05 AM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Would have made excellent film studios. Nearly identical to the old Ryerson Complex that Cinespace took over. Mix of old sawtooth prewar stuff and newer steel sheds.
I agree, the location and type of buildings would have been perfect for another film studio. Although hard to tell from old photos how adaptable the buildings may have been. IIRC, the Ryerson complex was newer, in better shape and had overall volume dimensions that made the transition to film studios (as well as production facilities for Lagunitas) much easier. Without any real knowledge of the condition of the Finkl steel buildings, sometimes it's easier and cheaper to tear down an old building and start from scratch....assuming there are no remediation issues involved or a slew of other site-related problems
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #958  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:21 PM
takascar takascar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 148
Construction Update

Anyone have any info on construction updates? Have they started any work on any of the buildings or even infrastructure. I'm sure the COVID issue will cause delays.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #959  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 5:10 PM
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,657
^Yes. I've been told that SB's marketing center is scheduled to be complete by this January. They're renovating the old firehouse at 1324 W Concord just north of Goose Island, and adding a 1 story vertical addition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #960  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:22 PM
CrazyCres's Avatar
CrazyCres CrazyCres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Behind You
Posts: 320
2050 North Dominick could start soon since they said they want it done by 2022 so maybe later this year or early next year they'll start construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.