HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 5:11 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Dang I don’t know how anyone can live downtown. I got a house about a year ago… bout 5 minutes from down town. When I moved out I was paying about 1550 for a one bed… I just checked back out of curiosity and the same apartment is going for 3165 now…. More then doubled in a year… glad I got a house when I did.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 6:19 PM
dtwn_living

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I love the look of the CCH at street level on W. Temple, but I agree with you Jedi on the width, gazing at it directly due West. Fortunately, I think the upcoming neighboring towers of Phase II West Quarter will break up that west view expanse of CCH beautifully.
I was sitting on my deck the other night looking at the CCH and how wide it is. It took away a lot of my view to the West.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 9:01 PM

It's too bad we can't access the Astra Tower webcam right now. The big pour is happening.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 10:56 PM

Sometimes this webcam shows the Astra site: https://mattblank.org/camera1.jpg

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 1:11 PM

This just popped up on the Kier Construction site. I don't remember us talking about it and it's not covered yet at BSL.

Richmond Flats - Richmond Flats, located at 2960 S Richmond Street (1250 East) in Salt Lake City will offer one, two, three and four-bedroom units. Coming 2023.

Last edited by delts145; May 23, 2022 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:31 PM

Astra Cams

FYI the OxBlue cams are back up. I suspect it was a technical issue that nobody addressed until today since it was the weekend.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:57 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMoosy View Post
FYI the OxBlue cams are back up. I suspect it was a technical issue that nobody addressed until today since it was the weekend.
Sorry everyone. As someone pointed out in the subreddit, you should be able to click back through the images from the weekend.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 6:21 PM

A video I took Saturday walking around Edison Street, with shots of The Randi, The Warhol, 255 South State, The Morton, Liberty Sky, and Astra Tower:

Video Link

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:21 AM

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:25 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I was so glad to drive down 300s and se that they are finally tearing down those rat hole apartments next to the Greek church. They look like they should have been condemned a decade or two ago.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:59 PM
Verticle

@ WAlkSL; That video you shot is OUTSTANDING! Amazing footage. It makes SLC look dense and "big city". MORE PLEEEEASE! I loved seeing the new buildings, old buildings, buildings in progress and the "wierd" salt lake. Totally loving the vibe from way over here in West Palm Beach, FL.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I was so glad to drive down 300s and se that they are finally tearing down those rat hole apartments next to the Greek church. They look like they should have been condemned a decade or two ago.
Yeah,...but...
There's something endearing about seediness.
As long as it's not for miles, ..
Nothing says Big City, like Skyscrapers.....and seediness.
I used to visit a friend that lived there years ago, and the booze and smoke were done to the just right level.
In fact, I know a guy that got evicted from there because of the demolition. Good luck Girard.
I do hope that the new stuff is done well. Not rare.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 11:40 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
Yeah,...but...
There's something endearing about seediness.
As long as it's not for miles, ..
Nothing says Big City, like Skyscrapers.....and seediness.
I used to visit a friend that lived there years ago, and the booze and smoke were done to the just right level.
In fact, I know a guy that got evicted from there because of the demolition. Good luck Girard.
I do hope that the new stuff is done well. Not rare.
They're also one of only a handful of truly affordable places to live downtown.

I don't find this a happy moment at all. Those apartments are pretty historic and will certainly screw-over a good amount of people in an already awful housing climate.

It's a shame that we're just bulldozing the character of the city.

In 30 years, Salt Lake will basically be West Jordan with a few more high-rises.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 12:48 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

I don't find this a happy moment at all. Those apartments are pretty historic and will certainly screw-over a good amount of people in an already awful housing climate.

In 30 years, Salt Lake will basically be West Jordan with a few more high-rises.
Those apartments were in really bad shape.. probably not worth saving and restoring. They recently did a lot of work to restore the Jackson apartments a block north. Jackson had been much better maintained over the years so it was more worth it.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 12:59 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Those apartments were in really bad shape.. probably not worth saving and restoring. They recently did a lot of work to restore the Jackson apartments a block north. Jackson had been much better maintained over the years so it was more worth it.
I'm sure the people who are now homeless will take solace in the fact you didn't think those apartments were worth saving.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:56 AM

Quote:

The Devereaux mansion is historic. The Cathedral of the Madeleine is historic. The Boston Building is historic. Those apartments are hardly historic by any stretch of the imagination. I would also venture to guess there are zero former tenants that are now permanently homeless as a result.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 4:31 AM

Astra tower webcams are back up! Alot of work has been done since they went off! The tower crane base appears to be on site as well.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 4:54 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
I'm sure the people who are now homeless will take solace in the fact you didn't think those apartments were worth saving.
The old red lion next to brewvies is being converted in to low income housing. Projects like that will be a much better option then apartment buildings that were in such bad shape that the probably weren’t safe… Do you seriously think that if the owners spent what it would cost to bring thoes building up to par that they would continue to offer them as low income units… no. The fact is rather some people like it or not… it’s more cost effective to just rip them down and make better use of the space.

We shouldn’t tear down every old building in town. I would have personally liked the Pantages theater to have been saved… but we also don’t need to save every building that’s old. Sometimes it’s just not economical. There are still plenty of older apartment buildings that are much better candidates for preservation.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:19 AM

Affordable housing doesn't mean it has to be falling apart. Poor people deserve better housing than that. Unfortunately, we certainly don't take care of that population like we should - hence why we have the homeless problem that we do. I certainly hope none of the people who lived there became homeless as a result.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 3:55 PM

Many of the buildings of that particular design in and around the Avenues and Eastside Central have been kept up, where it wouldn't be necessary to gut the entire interior in much the same way as was necessary for the Brooks Arcade. My understanding was that the Greek Project buildings were literally rotting to the core.

You're totally right Ajiuo that the cost of rehab would have put those apartments in a luxury category. Perhaps, that's what they should have done, and focused more on additional new housing with a generous amount of affordable units. I think that particular location and a beautifully restored building would have been popular with those that can afford luxury units. SLC is supposedly way under demand for that kind of unique vintage luxury.

Whatever the case, I will really miss an important piece of architecture that those particular fronts could have provided if restored. We need to see more of those types of designs mixed into the fabric of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West