HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I would also like to recant my previous statement about the Onni tower on Olympic and Hill. I'm starting to prefer the original proposal over the new one. If anything, change the roof. I just hate the boring light blue glass. I Have a thing for darker glass for some reason. Looks nicer to me 75% of the time.

I prefer the most recent renders of the project, but I’m willing to bet they use the same materials as Hope+Flower which is unfortunate. Onni does great work and something has to be said about them following through & getting things built, but I do agree- the bland light blue glass leaves much to be desired. Especially for such tall & visible buildings which impact the skyline greatly. It’s the spandrel glass that really just looks terrible.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:38 AM

The new design has a more modern look and fits current LA skyline better, but I didn't mind the art deco cheese slice roof of the original design and also the darker blue glass as well. The glass won't look this good in reality though, not sure how I feel about the slanted balconies.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
the bland light blue glass leaves much to be desired.
An ssper who, as an armchair architect, doesn't like the facade...design...height....shape....color....parking podium....of a new proj in dtla. Color me surprised.

btw, that's fine with me, & maybe I might even agree with....but I don't go out of my way to point out the same thing is mentioned by sspers over & over again

As for the sign on top of this bldg...restored & relit several yrs ago...I've seen it for decades. I didn't realize that an auto manufacturing bldg from over 70 yrs ago is today being used by creative types for art galleries. In a way, because dtla...esp South pk....has been marginalized for yrs, the value of its property...land...hasn't inflated as much as it would have in a traditionally booming American urban center like a nyc or sf.

Video Link

There is irony in how either the health or weakness of a hood can help or hurt it....or both. I think of the new midrise proj now going up in the middle of the generally gritty arts dist further to the north just on the other side of skid row....hope does spring eternal.

If dtla had remained economically competitive over the past 80 yrs, the old Bendix bldg would have been snapped up quickly by big real estate investors or hedge funds....the same types who are now keeping rents in a city like nyc way too high. So dtla's lower property valuation has certain interesting benefits.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 3:44 AM
你的媽媽

Oof this guy.

Anyway regarding Olympic and Hill I think it’s a perfectly fine looking tower. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or game changing in its design. I think the balconies would look better if the zigzag effect was replicated all the way around all 4 sides. It looks a bit messy and lacking in cohesiveness right now with one side with partial zigzag column (which in of itself looks messy) and then a narrow column of smaller balconies and then the other side with long straight balconies. It’s like they couldn’t decide what balcony treatment to go with and compromised and said we’ll just do all of them.

And of course the fact that the tower contains over 1000 parking spots is a bit disturbing. I understand LA will always be autocentric but it would’ve been nice if they at least cut it down to a 1:1 ratio but perhaps they’re seeking higher end clientele as residents. At least they disguised the podium well this time and the base looks like it should have good street level interaction.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:06 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Oof this guy.
I agree. It's impossible to ignore these days.

Quote:
Anyway regarding Olympic and Hill I think it’s a perfectly fine looking tower. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or game changing in its design. I think the balconies would look better if the zigzag effect was replicated all the way around all 4 sides. It looks a bit messy and lacking in cohesiveness right now with one side with partial zigzag column (which in of itself looks messy) and then a narrow column of smaller balconies and then the other side with long straight balconies. It’s like they couldn’t decide what balcony treatment to go with and compromised and said we’ll just do all of them.

And of course the fact that the tower contains over 1000 parking spots is a bit disturbing. I understand LA will always be autocentric but it would’ve been nice if they at least cut it down to a 1:1 ratio but perhaps they’re seeking higher end clientele as residents. At least they disguised the podium well this time and the base looks like it should have good street level interaction.
Agreed on all points. I think it will compliment the existing skyline, but isn't itself likely to be one of the standouts.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:23 AM

Snapped these from the Asbury Apartments on 6th St.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:24 AM

^^^ I'm just waiting for Olympia to swoop in and fill that gap once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I prefer the most recent renders of the project, but I’m willing to bet they use the same materials as Hope+Flower which is unfortunate. Onni does great work and something has to be said about them following through & getting things built, but I do agree- the bland light blue glass leaves much to be desired. Especially for such tall & visible buildings which impact the skyline greatly. It’s the spandrel glass that really just looks terrible.
True. I had to give it another look. Of all developers, I try to give Onni the benefit since they have a proven track record. I just wish they would use different glass other than the typical blueish tint they use every where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
The new design has a more modern look and fits current LA skyline better, but I didn't mind the art deco cheese slice roof of the original design and also the darker blue glass as well. The glass won't look this good in reality though, not sure how I feel about the slanted balconies.
Yeah, the Swiss cheese top threw me off but i was ok with everything else. The white/black colored balconies against the dark blue glass was cool IMO. If this were placed closer to their other towers, it wouldn't stand out really, my biggest complaint.

Last edited by caligrad; May 24, 2022 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Oof this guy.

Sorry its just killing me lately, and I know its being done intentionally.

But I agree. i had to look at both again. the current design is better, i think what's throwing me off is the glass. I wish the dark glass from the previous remained. I just don't want all of south park to by a full of indistinguishable towers all the same color. But I can also live with the zigzag balconies, even though they feel like a slight after thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I agree. It's impossible to ignore these days.

Agreed on all points. I think it will compliment the existing skyline, but isn't itself likely to be one of the standouts.
Yeah sorry. It's just frustrating the hell out of me, seems its been ramped up lately. But i agree. I'm not asking for every new tower to be a standout but different than the other 4 buildings they've already built.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:40 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Nice shots! Beaudry is filling in the gap nicely. But from that angle, now all I see is that gap in between the City National Tower and the Paul Hastings Tower.

Maybe they can build a tower here (https://goo.gl/maps/foJf3ueoBxQqiJz7A) or here (https://goo.gl/maps/MvrJFEGQWGBebn7s6).

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:42 AM

The Brookfield Beaudry Apartment Tower

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:42 AM

^^^ Thats a really cool shot actually

Quote:
Nice shots! Beaudry is filling in the gap nicely. But from that angle, now all I see is that gap in between the City National Tower and the Paul Hastings Tower.

Maybe they can build a tower here (https://goo.gl/maps/foJf3ueoBxQqiJz7A) or here (https://goo.gl/maps/MvrJFEGQWGBebn7s6).
Don't forget the gap between the Ritz and Metropolis

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:45 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Thanks for the pics, pwright1. The Beaudry is slick!

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:04 AM

Among other projs, news about the new concert hall for the colburn school at Olive St & Hill, planned for a parking lot I've wanted to see go adios for yrs, & start up of work on the onni tower at Hill & Olympic, gave me such a lift, I've been more upbeat about dt than I've been in quite awhile.

I'm thrilled that the Grand Ave proj & connector rail line will soon be complete. But now I feel like a person whooping it at a wake...or in the intensive care unit of a hospital. DTLA doesn't exist in a national bubble....so out of respect for urban America, I'm going to pull back.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 7:46 AM

Quote:

I like this view. it makes the US Bank building and the Wilshire Grand (not counting the spire) look the same height.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinDPB View Post
I like this view. it makes the US Bank building and the Wilshire Grand (not counting the spire) look the same height.
Yeah, it definitely is a nice view. The skyline looks nice and elongated from this angle as well.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:00 PM

Groundbreaking for Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center scheduled for June 1

https://www.space.com/california-sci...groundbreaking

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:19 PM

[QUOTE=ChelseaFC;9632460]Groundbreaking for Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center scheduled for June 1

Massive news - slowly but surely, Exposition Park is becoming a truly world class park.

Hoping more pieces of the master plan get built out before the Olympics (including highest on the list for me replacing the surface parking lots with green space) so it can get the balance right between park and exposition.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:51 PM

^ That's very exciting news! The new Air & Space Center is going to be a top attraction for LA visitors and locals as well. Expo Park is realizing it's potential! Great connectivity with the Expo Line as well.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:00 PM

^^^ Thats great news honestly. Surprised it took a decade. I've yet to see the current walk around/exhibit, shamefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinDPB View Post
Its amazing how different vantage points make them seem to be the same height while others make the WG look waaaay smaller

Last edited by caligrad; May 24, 2022 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Groundbreaking for Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center scheduled for June 1

Wow. I was worried they might not succeed in their capital campaign. At this point, I think LA might have surpassed NYC in terms of cultural philanthropy. So many capital campaigns for major cultural institutions and almost all of them are now fully funded. To get the shuttle vertical with its boosters/fuel tank is too important. It'll be the only display of its kind in the country.

Last edited by ocman; May 24, 2022 at 8:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations