HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
That parcel is owned by Transport Canada and leased to the airport authority. It would likely be hard to develop given it's bounded by highways, a rail line and has wetland.
I have done this little Skitch drawing, showing how that triangle of land could accommodate a few building lots:

I have included the existing proposed road network within the industrial park (including phases 2 & 3), as well as the proposed highway access to Route 15, and a (presumed) overpass connecting to the current airport access off of the 15.

The existing wetland in this small parcel of land appears to be in the extreme NE , immediately adjacent to the TCH/15 cloverleaf. This is easily avoidable with this simple roadway extension.

This roadway extension would allow 3-4 new lots to have access to the rail spur, which could be of value to certain businesses, and should be a good selling point. I think it is pretty inconceivable that a proposed new industrial park would ignore an immediately adjacent rail spur. I'm sure MID is considering it's options. This is undoubtedly why the proposed road network is designed for possible expansion into this area.

I'm sure Transport Canada does not need this entire parcel of land. I'm sure that whatever their requirements are, that this could be negotiated with MID.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:05 PM

Just saw that the parcel of land that for sale accross from the Dairy Queen has a sold sign in it. Anyone hear who could have bought it?

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the agenda for the May meeting of Moncton PAC:

Quote:
From J.N. Lafford Realty, Highlandview Drive, Moncton (PID 70659560) a conditional use application to permit a multiple unit dwelling in the R3 Multiple Unit Dwelling Zone and a variance application to increase the maximum permitted height from 3 stories to 4 stories in one location and from 4 stories to 5 stories in two other locations and to increase the space of jogs and recesses in one area on the façade (File 22-44291 & 22-44292)
It appears that Lafford Realty has a proposal for phase two of the Birch Meadows apartment complex.

site plan

render

render

I like the current Birch Meadows building. It is obviously high quality. I find it interesting that Lafford is proceeding with phase two here, despite being so heavily invested in the 20 Record Street project downtown (three 15 storey towers with 450 units). They seem to have a lot of confidence in the Moncton market.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Just saw that the parcel of land that for sale accross from the Dairy Queen has a sold sign in it. Anyone hear who could have bought it?
Rumour is now circulating this might be for a new A&W. I have no idea if this is true or not. Traffic could be problematic. They'll have to have an alternate exit onto Price Street if you ask me..........

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 6:56 PM

That would be awesome I love A&W , I often go out of my way to go there . remember they had a board up for an opportunity of a franchise , where the subway and mezza is on Morton and McLaughlin.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here is a site plan for that proposed four storey 54 unit apartment building on the NW corner of the Lewisville/Shediac Rd intersection.

Sorry, there is no render available.

Although on the corner of Lewisville & Shediac Rd, it appears that access will be off Barnaby Street and Beech Street.

It does not appear there will be any underground parking for this building.
A render is now available:

A generic four storey Moncton "special", but it will make better use of the land than the three SFH currently occupying the site.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 18, 2022 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:50 PM

The land across the street DQ on Elmwood was advertised in the past at over $1M.
I would be surprised if A&W - or a franchisee - would think that's a good investment of million bucks, even before the other costs of a franchise are added on.
They had been advertising for a franchisee for the parking lot at the strip mall at Morton and McLaughlin and got no bites. Then they advertised for a franchise in the parking lot of the strip mall where The Igloo tavern is located, and got no bites.
I would wager that the rumours of putting one on land that costs over a million bucks are likely just that, rumours.
But I know nothing, just thinking out loud.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very good point. I also thought this lot was a little large for an A&W too.

The only way this rumour is true is if there is a small strip mall planned for this site, including an A&W. I could see this happening. The lot is adjacent to the TCH, and could be attractive to highway service businesses (including an A&W).

There are only four A&W outlets in Moncton, and I think the city is a little underserved. There are none in this neighbourhood.

Traffic would still be a bitch, and access/egress off of Price Street would have to mandatory I would think to get any development approved.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:13 PM

I've forgotten the size of this lot but I do recall it being sizeable, too much for a little takeout for sure.
But yeah, as a pad on a parking lot it could work well. The traffic levels here are really heavy and only getting heavier, which is bad for those of us whose daily travels take them through the area but perfect for putting up an eatery that is reliant on a busy drivethru - a huge selling point.
As for access/egress via Price St., I'm unsure as Price is quite a distance from this lot with an apartment building and a house between this lot and Price St., unless the lot is L shaped and loops behind the existing home and apartments. Another option is to force any development here to have entrance only from the south off Elmwood and egress only heading north on Elmwood, less than ideal for a developer but yeah having left turns from and to Elmwood into this lot, whatever it becomes, just isn't going to work.
I see DQ customers daily stuck in purgatory of trying to turn left leaving the parking. Rumour is some have waited so long to turn left on to Elmwood after eating their lunch that they were eventually forced to go back through the drivethru again for their supper. *Just kidding.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:55 PM

Colliers on facebook just posted that new tenants are coming for Granite centre

Quote:
We are very excited to confirm that three new tenants have been confirmed for @granitecentremoncton! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
A new building construction is planned for Fall 2022, and is already completely pre-leased with three different brands. Can you guys guess who these new members of the Granite Centre family will be?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:

There are only four A&W outlets in Moncton, and I think the city is a little underserved. There are none in this neighbourhood.
I don't know. We're only getting a 3rd Burger King now, and we only have 4 Wendy's. I would assume A&W is less popular than those 2 restaurants but maybe not?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 9:26 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2dam View Post
I don't know. We're only getting a 3rd Burger King now, and we only have 4 Wendy's. I would assume A&W is less popular than those 2 restaurants but maybe not?
As per retail talk and share on Facebook :
"Moncton: A&W is all but confirmed for off Elmwood Drive on Fils de Jesus. A new 5 units strip is apparently being built by Dollorama and then A&W is apparently being built closest to Elmwood as a stand alone restaurant."

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 10:38 PM

This will be a big hit in the 'hood.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 12:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, the rumour about A&W was true, just not in the right spot..........

The Sobeys development on Fils de Jesus was always intended to be a multi-unit shopping centre. There are already three buildings on site, containing Sobeys, NBLC, Lawtons & Dollarama.

The next phase running along the south side of Filles de Jesus towards Elmwood will contain a strip mall with five units, and a standalone A&W directly facing Elmwood. This parcel of land is prepped and ready to go (and has been for a number of years). I wonder when they plan to start construction???

I imagine the huge increase in traffic on Elmwood due to Costco has made this whole area more attractive to retail development.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
"Moncton: A&W is all but confirmed for off Elmwood Drive on Fils de Jesus. A new 5 units strip is apparently being built by Dollorama and then A&W is apparently being built closest to Elmwood as a stand alone restaurant."
Crazy. I guess there must be a demand for it.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks like they're beginning site prep work for this new apartment building next to the Baptist church on Morton Avenue:

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Here is the site plan for the Sobeys development on Elmwood, showing where the mini strip mall and the standalone drive thru restaurant (purported A&W) will be going;

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 3:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This item is in the June PAC agenda for the city of Moncton:

Quote:
From Icon Developments Inc, 124 Murphy Ave, Moncton (PID 70631718), a conditional use application to allow a multiple unit dwelling in the R3 zone and a variance application to permit a façade with jogs and recesses at a span of a maximum of 10.55 metres, to not provide at least one public entrance facing the street and to permit a building height of 20 meters in the R3 zone. (File 22-44348 & 22-44349)
Murphy Avenue is in behind the Villa de Repos. This request is presumably for a variance to allow construction of an apartment building, although it is not specifically stated as such in the request. There are no included site plans or renders, but, with a building height of 20 metres, this would be consistent with a six storey building.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:37 PM

Quote:

Murphy Avenue is in behind the Villa de Repos. This request is presumably for a variance to allow construction of an apartment building, although it is not specifically stated as such in the request. There are no included site plans or renders, but, with a building height of 20 metres, this would be consistent with a six storey building.
Next door to 114 Murphy (3 storey), across from 125 Murphy. Lot sold in May for $ 1,000,000.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Looks like they're beginning site prep work for this new apartment building next to the Baptist church on Morton Avenue:

There is now a large "mini" tower crane on site. Things are progressing quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces