HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


    Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #481  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:19 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
The Crain's article, citing sources close to the deal, clearly stated Sterling Bay offered to buy the property from Davies for $150 mil. Are you stating that you know that is not factual?
Nope, just working from a less reputable source than Crain's.

If Crain's says Sterling Bay tried to buy the Post Office outright, I'll believe them.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #482  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 9:02 AM
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,626
Should the supertall in the site's diagram be changed to stale proposal or cancelled?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #483  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:00 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Should the supertall in the site's diagram be changed to stale proposal or cancelled?
It should be changed to fantasy, as that's all it ever was.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #484  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 3:23 PM
le_brew le_brew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 108
New York's example makes the most sense for Old Post Office

the Moynihan Station. With a boost from stimulus funds, the old Farley Post Office will be redeveloped into a train station in New York City.

http://discoveringurbanism.blogspot....ice-reuse.html

we need that extra rail capacity, desperately!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #485  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:27 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_brew View Post
the Moynihan Station. With a boost from stimulus funds, the old Farley Post Office will be redeveloped into a train station in New York City.

http://discoveringurbanism.blogspot....ice-reuse.html

we need that extra rail capacity, desperately!
Moynihan isn't adding any extra rail capacity, it gets Amtrak riders/operations out of Penn station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #486  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 11:05 PM
le_brew le_brew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Moynihan isn't adding any extra rail capacity, it gets Amtrak riders/operations out of Penn station.
point is that done correctly, Chicago could.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #487  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 5:59 PM
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,657
As per the usual, this is the only activity we ever see here :

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...125-story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #488  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:16 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,378
^ Plan B?? Or, rather, C....or D??
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #489  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:23 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_brew View Post
the Moynihan Station. With a boost from stimulus funds, the old Farley Post Office will be redeveloped into a train station in New York City.

http://discoveringurbanism.blogspot....ice-reuse.html

we need that extra rail capacity, desperately!
How would this work with an active freeway under the building? subway?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #490  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:43 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
I have an idea: turn the damn thing back into a post office
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #491  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 7:23 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have an idea: turn the damn thing back into a post office
would be great if there wasnt a giant modern facility which rendered it obsolete next door
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #492  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:28 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,331
^and which is now mostly vacant as well. No mail processing is taking place in Chicago any more. Some of the space is being used for carrier routes who have moved out of the Loop facility.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #493  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:35 AM
UrbanLibertine UrbanLibertine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 311
So are we bound to soon have 2 massive, abandon former post offices right next to each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^and which is now mostly vacant as well. No mail processing is taking place in Chicago any more. Some of the space is being used for carrier routes who have moved out of the Loop facility.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #494  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:42 AM
le_brew le_brew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
How would this work with an active freeway under the building? subway?
same way the PO functioned with the active expressway, quite well. . .

the eisenhower exp. is somewhat elevated. besides there seems to be plenty of space on either side which rail passengers would not necessarily have to straddle the exp; passengers could flow above/below that cut. the tracks (metra/amtrak) are already in place at ground level. the subway of course, is 40 ft. below. . . .

i contacted robert munson of urbanophile, who has much expertise in rail station analysis, and suggested this. he agreed its a great idea to turn the old PO into a transit center though he said he'd look into the actual feasibility of doing so. btw, this is in no way an original concept, it had been proposed as far back as when the new PO opened, and was attached to some type of casino deal, i believe.

besides this building is so large, it could handle multi-purpose re-use and still have space left over. . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #495  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:49 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,393
After all that talk about how Novak should have been nailed harder for knocking down that cottage without permits, it's really situations like this which the city should save it's penalties for. The city should massively fine Davies for this fire breaking out. Leaving buildings sit empty is a massive drag on the rest of the city not only in terms of the broken window effect, but also in terms of city resources. He should have to pay for every dime the Fire Department and emergency services spent responding to this fire and then be assessed a fat fine on top of it. Same goes for other landmarked white elephant buildings around the city like the Uptown Theater. If you are going to squat on a historically valuable property and allow it to decompose, then you should be massively fined for any incidents that occur while it is under your watch.

Hopefully this would have a "shit or get off the pot" effect on some of these land bankers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #496  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 4:22 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
^ Nah. The city abuses property owners enough as it is. I think our out of proportion high property taxes are enough
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #497  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 4:32 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
After all that talk about how Novak should have been nailed harder for knocking down that cottage without permits, it's really situations like this which the city should save it's penalties for. The city should massively fine Davies for this fire breaking out. Leaving buildings sit empty is a massive drag on the rest of the city not only in terms of the broken window effect, but also in terms of city resources. He should have to pay for every dime the Fire Department and emergency services spent responding to this fire and then be assessed a fat fine on top of it. Same goes for other landmarked white elephant buildings around the city like the Uptown Theater. If you are going to squat on a historically valuable property and allow it to decompose, then you should be massively fined for any incidents that occur while it is under your watch.

Hopefully this would have a "shit or get off the pot" effect on some of these land bankers.
I can kinda sorta see your point of view on the Post Office seeing as the Sterling Bay deal should have happened and was a squandered opportunity.

With Uptown Theater I don't because there was no funded viable plan put forth put forth to renovate it. I live in Uptown and I personally think in time it will happen but its just not its time yet. All the momentum is in the right direction.

In general, not just talking about mega developers, but property owners in general (because laws are for everyone) if you start enacting some type of penalty for vacancy these properties will eventually go ownerless and eventually meet the wrecking ball, on taxpayer's dime or more likely sit vacant and continue dilapidate due to lack of funds for demolition.

No one is going to pay penalties on properties that aren't making them money, I think a vacancy tax/fine/penalty is a misguided policy and would not have the intended result. Also regardless if the property is vacant Davies pays taxes on it and those taxes pay for the fire service that every taxpayer is entitled to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #498  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:07 PM
orulz orulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I can kinda sorta see your point of view on the Post Office seeing as the Sterling Bay deal should have happened and was a squandered opportunity.

With Uptown Theater I don't because there was no funded viable plan put forth put forth to renovate it. I live in Uptown and I personally think in time it will happen but its just not its time yet. All the momentum is in the right direction.

In general, not just talking about mega developers, but property owners in general (because laws are for everyone) if you start enacting some type of penalty for vacancy these properties will eventually go ownerless and eventually meet the wrecking ball, on taxpayer's dime or more likely sit vacant and continue dilapidate due to lack of funds for demolition.

No one is going to pay penalties on properties that aren't making them money, I think a vacancy tax/fine/penalty is a misguided policy and would not have the intended result. Also regardless if the property is vacant Davies pays taxes on it and those taxes pay for the fire service that every taxpayer is entitled to.
True, but a penalty for having a non-functional standpipes in an enormous building in such a built-up area should be severe enough to spur action and get the building's fire suppression systems at least functional, or else this is a disaster waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #499  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:36 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
True, but a penalty for having a non-functional standpipes in an enormous building in such a built-up area should be severe enough to spur action and get the building's fire suppression systems at least functional, or else this is a disaster waiting to happen.
This I can support maybe a penalty depended on the size of the building if there was a fire code violation. I can even, although barely, support there being a responsibility to pay the Fire Department's expenses or a fee if there was a fire code violation withstanding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #500  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:54 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,767
Crain's is reporting today that Davies is putting the building up for sale, having hired a London-based broker - the article claimed that they don't know how much he'll be asking for it, but apparently, he rejected a $150 million offer earlier this year.

This guy is a total POS - he got the building at auction, for less than half of his winning bid and he thinks he can get $150M?? It's gonna cost that much just to fix all of the massive issues within the building, let alone develop it into something worthwhile.
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.