HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:04 PM

Is there a concrete timeline for the opening of the twinned 104 between Sutherland's River and Antigonish? I drove that stretch about a week ago and the new segment was paved and traffic (both directions) diverted on it up to Barney's River, but both lanes are not open yet.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 10:52 PM

Since NB suddenly has to spend hundreds of millions on infrastructure, I humbly suggest twinning Route 7 from exit 90 at Crane Mountain up to exit 80 where Route 102 ends.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Since NB suddenly has to spend hundreds of millions on infrastructure, I humbly suggest twinning Route 7 from exit 90 at Crane Mountain up to exit 80 where Route 102 ends.
And complete the twinning of Highway 11 north to Bouctouche (including bridgework).

I have little hope of this though. It is quite clear Blaine and Dominic hate each other with a passion and will do their utmost to avoid cooperating with each other. I imagine Blaine will decline the opportunity out of pure malicious spite.........

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And complete the twinning of Highway 11 north to Bouctouche (including bridgework).

I have little hope of this though. It is quite clear Blaine and Dominic hate each other with a passion and will do their utmost to avoid cooperating with each other. I imagine Blaine will decline the opportunity out of pure malicious spite.........
I thought this kind of spite only happened in the Prairies…

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:55 AM

I mean, Higgs ended up getting a better deal regarding this stimulus slush fund than all the provinces that just took it and matched spending. I presume a lot of this goes to the Tantramar flood mitigation efforts.

I wonder if Dom ever runs for premier? I know he is in poor health but how poor? It would ensure Higgs goes for a third term and I don't believe the Liberal field is very intimidating.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 10:50 AM

A post on the PEI thread leads me to this question. DO people find your commute and rush hour traffic to be heavy in your area?. Living in Summerside and going through rush hour traffic in Charlottetown on Fridays once/twice a month I say no. Listening to people at my work and the coffee shop you would think they drove on clogged streets. I agree that there are many more cars on PEI than 10/20 years ago, however, we are far from grildllock IMO.

How do others feel? Is rush hour traffic a nightmare in your town?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:49 PM

Here in Freddy, some people complain about traffic and bad drivers; but Freddy traffic IMO is a dream compared to just about anywhere else. We're no where near the critical mass for traffic jams.

On normal days, with both bridges going normally, I like to say our Rush Hour is 7:45 to 8:00 (or maybe 8:00 to 8:15) and again at 17:00 to 17:15. We just don't have the traffic density to really jam things up.

Now, when a bridge does go down for any reason (flooding, traffic accident, construction, etc....) that can jam things up. The biggest traffic jams I can remember are when the bridges are partly or fully closed.

One night, the Princess Margaret was closed due to an accident in late fall/early winter (I think it was an early snow fall day on top of it) and Regent was back up all the way to the top of the hill, and Route 8 was backed up to the roundabouts.

Also when Westmoreland Bridge was partly closed for construction, the first day before people adjusted, my bus (I was bussing at the time) took 2 hours to get from the North Side to Kings Place. It was so bad the driver hopped out on Maple street, ducked into a doctors office we were stopped next to to use the bathroom, and got back before any sort of significant gap opened up. Probably one of the worst jams I've seen in the city, but I blame the city/province for not sufficiently setting up traffic controls for that day. The closure was planned, they just assumed people would figure it out, instead of having cops at the major intersections to smooth things out. (Later days people figured it out and the delays weren't nearly as bad)

So yeah despite what some may try to say, Freddy doesn't have a rush hour. It barely has a rush quarter hour. And it certainly isn't a nightmare.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:16 PM

Moncton can get backed up on the causeway bridge in the morning from like 730-8 and on Wheeler going towards the causeway bridge from like 4:30-5. Same as on the other end of Wheeler by the Lewisville traffic light. Vaughan Harvey can back up a little bit but it’s generally not to bad. While the causeway was closed it was pretty bad on assumption and Vaughan Harvey, but really it’s nothing like major cities. It was gridlocked then but only for a couple hours.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:02 PM

I went up the Valley over the weekend and I'm happy to report Highway 101 is now twinned to Exit 5A. They went with a high-tension cable barrier median like recent work done on Highway 103. They also connected the auxiliary lanes Exits 5 - 5A - 6. The next section to Exit 6 looks like construction should wrap up in a few weeks.

Last I heard there is still not an approved plan for the Avon River Causeway. The province tried to get an aboideau approved that didn't meet DFO's regulations.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I went up the Valley over the weekend and I'm happy to report Highway 101 is now twinned to Exit 5A. They went with a high-tension cable barrier median like recent work done on Highway 103. They also connected the auxiliary lanes Exits 5 - 5A - 6. The next section to Exit 6 looks like construction should wrap up in a few weeks.

Last I heard there is still not an approved plan for the Avon River Causeway. The province tried to get an aboideau approved that didn't meet DFO's regulations.
I was gonna say, that’s impressive given the holdup at the causeway.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 1:44 AM

What about traveling underground ? or Elon Musk Hyperloops vision. that dream dead in our area of Canada ?

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:57 PM

Has any consideration ever been given to replacing the Route 7/Prospect/Bypass 'interchange' with a roundabout?

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Has any consideration ever been given to replacing the Route 7/Prospect/Bypass 'interchange' with a roundabout?
Don't think it's quite what you mean, but there's this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...te-8-1.5025381

Basically a roundabout to provide access to College Hill Road, and would allow for pedestrians to have access across Route 8.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Don't think it's quite what you mean, but there's this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...te-8-1.5025381

Basically a roundabout to provide access to College Hill Road, and would allow for pedestrians to have access across Route 8.
That would be cheaper to build.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 10:32 PM

NS HWY 104 Cobequid Toll Plaza

I see a fair bit of excavation starting just West of the toll plaza. Trying to follow the stakes laid out it sorta resembles a roadway that they are constructing. Does anyone have an idea what's up?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
I see a fair bit of excavation starting just West of the toll plaza. Trying to follow the stakes laid out it sorta resembles a roadway that they are constructing. Does anyone have an idea what's up?
It's rest stops.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 7:41 PM

Noticed that highway 101 going from Windsor to Halifax has a portion that is paved with concrete, is there anywhere else in the Maritimes that have concrete highways?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 7:46 PM

Also, I found this on YouTube regarding the Twinning of highway 101 in Windsor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yEwO6s6q8

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdclement View Post
Also, I found this on YouTube regarding the Twinning of highway 101 in Windsor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yEwO6s6q8
years ago late 70's early 80's a portion of NB Highway 11 between Boutouche and extom was concrete. it was long since been paved over.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 10:24 PM

We need rest/bathroom breaks on all highways in New Brunswick . Maine is ahead of us by loads with there rest stops

Last edited by ivegotaname; Aug 19, 2022 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Said more but I don't think we have one

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces