HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:21 PM

Notoriety,

Politicians love a publicity stunt. It brings attention to, for, the City.
Vegas is a sandy desert, we're not. I have known them not to know before, but the Musk Civil engineers probably knew, about the earth beneath us here.
I would not doubt what the City did and I do not blame the City. What's to lose if it is not feasible? I think that in the future you are right Jack, bring some elevated train rails to the City. Someday. They should have done it this time around in order to alleviate some of the traffic load (congestion)already there onto where the dedicated lanes will be. In my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I can't speak to their motivations, but in general people get swept away by a good sales pitch and hype. Elon Musk is really good at those things. Anyway, if the tunnel is out, what's in?

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:06 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ (like button)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
It worked in Las Vegas and the city thought it could work here so who is really to blame? Our local leaders greenlit the study.

As someone wise once said to me, "They're not our leaders, they're our elected representatives."

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

Anyway, I want what's good for San Antonio. It's my home town and it will always be a part of me.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; May 11, 2022 at 11:19 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:51 AM

By the way, it's not "The City" that's considering this tunnel plan, it's the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority, an agency under the bureaucratic umbrella of Bexar County. It's important to know who to blame for considering half-baked ideas like this one.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
By the way, it's not "The City" that's considering this tunnel plan, it's the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority, an agency under the bureaucratic umbrella of Bexar County. It's important to know who to blame for considering half-baked ideas like this one.
Very true. Angry (or whatever) needs to be pointed in the right direction.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:58 PM

Personally,

I was never angry. Were you? The plan has not been put into serious consideration anyway, has it? When does construction begin? I THINK THE THING WAS FUNNY. Especially the clown part of the discussion- seriously, riding around the aerial monorails. A funny thought. Certainly. I will not file a complaint with the City. It isn't serious.
The "City" means San Antonio. "The City" means whatever agencies , county, city, city council, the Transit Authority (via), mayor, the voters, the populace,- a generalized term, for whomever. With the exception of the Edwards Aquifer Authority who will make the correct decisions for us. These are not included as a part of the " City' ", description.
They. Who will make decisions that affect us. With input or without.

To the guy who angrily wants to water his lawn without notice, earlier here, " No one ever realizes the value of water until the well runs dry."
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Very true. Angry (or whatever) needs to be pointed in the right direction.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 3:06 AM

Roadwork ahead: TxDOT breaks ground on project to add elevated lanes on I-35

https://sanantonioreport.org/txdot-s...-35-expansion/

State and local officials gathered at one of the busiest highway intersections in San Antonio on Wednesday to break ground on the Interstate 35 Northeast Expansion Central project.

Construction is set to start this summer on the $1.5 billion project that will add six elevated lanes to the stretch of I-35 from the Loop 410 interchange north to FM 3009 in Schertz.

Over 200,000 vehicles a day travel through the area, according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). That number is expected to double by 2044, making it the fastest growing corridor in the United States.

The project is expected to be completed in 2027.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Roadwork ahead: TxDOT breaks ground on project to add elevated lanes on I-35

https://sanantonioreport.org/txdot-s...-35-expansion/

State and local officials gathered at one of the busiest highway intersections in San Antonio on Wednesday to break ground on the Interstate 35 Northeast Expansion Central project.

Construction is set to start this summer on the $1.5 billion project that will add six elevated lanes to the stretch of I-35 from the Loop 410 interchange north to FM 3009 in Schertz.

Over 200,000 vehicles a day travel through the area, according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). That number is expected to double by 2044, making it the fastest growing corridor in the United States.

The project is expected to be completed in 2027.
Oh gosh more traffic, great!

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 4:20 AM

"The only way to get from one place to another is in a single passenger vehicle; it's absurd to consider any other form of transportation, as no other form exists, now shut up and get in your car" - Texas Department of Transportation

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:15 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
"The only way to get from one place to another is in a single passenger vehicle; it's absurd to consider any other form of transportation, as no other form exists, now shut up and get in your car" - Texas Department of Transportation
Sadly, it seems that your interpretation of their attitude is correct.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 1:05 AM

San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg says he's unsure how Boring Co. tunnel fits city transportation plan

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/san-a...-plan-28873511

Nirenberg's Connect SA initiative is focussed on the completion of VIA's rapid transit project.

San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg says he's unconvinced the tunnel connecting the airport and downtown proposed by billionaire Elon Musk's Boring Co. should be a priority of the city's transportation initiative, the San Antonio Business Journal reports.

Initiated in 2018, Nirenberg's ConnectSA initiative aims to enhance public transportation and accessibility throughout the city. However, Nirenberg told the Business Journal he doesn't see how a tunnel ferrying passengers from the airport to downtown in Teslas fits in with that vision.

"We have a lot of transportation priorities," Nirenberg told SABJ. "We need multimodal connectivity. I don't see where a tunnel project fits into that. I don't know what it accomplishes."

Instead, the Connect SA plan focuses on VIA Metropolitan Transit's Advanced Rapid Transportation (ART) project. VIA's ART also would transport passengers from the airport to downtown, and could receive $158 million in federal funding if Congress approves the Biden Administration's recommendation to help fund the project, the Business Journal reports.

Unlike VIA's project, the Boring Co.'s tunnel project is under the authority of the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority. According to John Overman, a research scientist at Texas A&M's Transportation Institute, the proposed tunnel project would ultimately be approved by the Texas Transportation Commission, not San Antonio's city government.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 3:30 PM
TEXAS BORN AND RAISED

The problem with this plan is that it doesn't make stops along the route and it lacks in capacity. Let's be real here the idea is basically a Subway. This mode of transportation I am actually in favor of. However the viechles that carry the passengers should be electric trains on a rail not a Tesla . instead of carrying 2-3 people per trip carry 30-40 people per ride or 60-80 if two train cars are considered. The last beef I have with this plan is that multiple stops along the route should be considered. You have incarnate word, the zoo, the quarry, Alamo heights, the pearl, and Broadway as all potential stops on the route. I believe it would work as a great connection between downtown and the airport but it has to make sense for the community not just tourists.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 5:31 PM

Commentary: Tunnel could bore through landowners’ rights

https://www.expressnews.com/opinion/...h-17171778.php

If you’re a fan of the local news (or perhaps Elon Musk’s Twitter account), you probably heard about the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority’s recent decision to enter negotiations with one of Musk’s companies, the Boring Co., to create a tunnel system between downtown and the airport to shuttle people in driverless Teslas.

This proposal has received mixed reviews — some praising its originality and its potential to sustainably reduce traffic, and others criticizing it as unresponsive to San Antonio’s true needs. The conversation about this project has ignored how a tunnel is likely to interfere with private property rights of the landowners between downtown and the airport.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:40 PM

Alamo RMA paperwork questions revenue projections for Elon Musk's San Antonio tunnel

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/alamo...unnel-28922631

An information packet handed out to attendees of a Wednesday meeting contained a footnote appearing to question the math of the revenue projections.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:43 PM

Alamo RMA discusses details of Elon Musk’s Alamo Loop tunnel proposal, next steps

https://sanantonioreport.org/elon-mu...l-project-rma/

San Antonio residents and visitors would be able to make one-way trips from downtown to the Pearl and back in under two minutes, and from downtown to the San Antonio Airport in under 10 minutes, if Elon Musk’s proposed tunnel becomes reality, officials said Wednesday.

New details of the Alamo Loop Project that is expected to cost between $241 million to $298 million were discussed during Wednesday’s update from the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority (RMA) staff to the RMA board of directors.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:48 PM

From downtown San Antonio to Pearl in 2 minutes — A first look at Elon Musk firm’s pitch for tunnel

https://www.expressnews.com/business...s-17184352.php

The Boring Co.’s tunnel transit system from San Antonio International Airport to downtown could carry as many as 112,000 passengers daily on its route along U.S. 281 and produce annual revenue of as much as $25 million, according to the Austin company’s proposal.

Questions raised

The so-called Alamo Loop Project has already faced questions from local transportation officials, land and water rights experts and statewide caving associations concerned that a route following U.S. 281 endangers the area’s caves and karst topography, home to springs and endangered animals.

Those concerns were renewed by the proposal.

U.S. 281 alignment

In addition to some of the numbers it’s based on, he said he doubted the suggestion that following U.S. 281 would limit conflict with privately owned land.

“Several of the planned facilities are required to reach the surface — like the actual stations people will enter through, the egress shafts built every half mile, and the ventilation shafts,” Longoria said, citing information in Wednesday’s presentation. “These aspects of the project could not overlap with 281’s surface without causing significant public safety concerns.”

That means it would require easements from adjacent land.

RMA’s approach

The RMA — an independent political authority created in 2003 to finance or acquire, design and operate transportation projects — says the project would have no impact on taxpayers.

It’s expected to dig from 30 to 50 feet below the surface. Longoria has said Texas property owners’ rights “absolutely” extend that far down, raising additional easement or ownership concerns.

The company estimated the cost between $241 million and $298 million. It said it could design and construct the project within 36 months.

The Boring Co. didn’t respond to an interview request.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 11:24 AM
JACKinBeantown

Elon Musk is so clearly the modern day version of P.T. Barnum. If the good people of San Antonio get swept up in his self promotion and agree to this ridiculous tunnel plan when there are other much better alternatives, I'll feel really sorry for the whole city. Similar things have happened before, most notably the Alamodome and the promise of NFL football to follow ("If you build it, they will come."). I won't be surprised if it happens, but I will be disappointed and saddened for the loss of a better solution that will not have happened.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 8:54 PM

Good Idea!

I still have doubts that this tunnel plan would work out. Environmental issues are at the forefront. However, if it will not cost the taxpayer a single nickel in any way, well-, "What the hell?"
Even if this tunnel is,- A dog and pony show-, Musk and his ilk will pay and take the loss. They can afford to pay the bonds back.
Let them not make huge profits on this rail, the City will benefit from any transportation infrastructure construction, on the cheap, right?
Then.... let him wing walk in outer space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Elon Musk is so clearly the modern day version of P.T. Barnum. If the good people of San Antonio get swept up in his self promotion and agree to this ridiculous tunnel plan when there are other much better alternatives, I'll feel really sorry for the whole city. Similar things have happened before, most notably the Alamodome and the promise of NFL football to follow ("If you build it, they will come."). I won't be surprised if it happens, but I will be disappointed and saddened for the loss of a better solution that will not have happened.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 3:36 AM

"But a newly obtained document outlines an August 2021 Boring Company pitch for an even more ambitious project: plans to connect Austin and San Antonio via a system of underground tunnels. As of now, it is unclear how far the proposal reached, or which segments of the plan are being actively pursued.

The plan, as outlined by Gettinger, is three-fold:

The Boring Company would "deploy individual systems in San Antonio and Austin."

A connection between the cities, "likely collaborating with TxDOT" would follow I-35

Different city utilities would create segments to connect to the San Antonio to Austin system as follows:
Kyle to Austin
New Braunfels to San Antonio
San Marcos to Kyle
New Braunfels to San Marcos"

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...P-CP-Spotlight

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 5:41 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
"But a newly obtained document outlines an August 2021 Boring Company pitch for an even more ambitious project: plans to connect Austin and San Antonio via a system of underground tunnels. As of now, it is unclear how far the proposal reached, or which segments of the plan are being actively pursued.

The plan, as outlined by Gettinger, is three-fold:

The Boring Company would "deploy individual systems in San Antonio and Austin."

A connection between the cities, "likely collaborating with TxDOT" would follow I-35

Different city utilities would create segments to connect to the San Antonio to Austin system as follows:
Kyle to Austin
New Braunfels to San Antonio
San Marcos to Kyle
New Braunfels to San Marcos"

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...P-CP-Spotlight
I'd much prefer high speed rail to some billionaire's goofy single lane car tunnel that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen both in terms of safety and finances

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio