HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:35 AM
Exit 298

While I appreciate the Comets bolstering the number of cars, I personally hate them. I feel like I'm stepping back into the malaise era of the 1970s. Perhaps it's the brown.

The bi-level cars, especially the upstairs, feels friendlier and more comfortable to me.

No love lost for me when the Comets get junked.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 10:03 PM

This is getting downright goofy-

So the Comet Cars are going away for real this time... on April 18th.

https://www.rideuta.com/news/2022/04...MmwN-gZru6Sdaw

Quote:
Why remove the Comet cars from service at this time?

UTA is currently working with elected leaders and partners agencies on plans for modernization and future service improvements on FrontRunner. The Comet cars need to be removed before replacement preparations can begin, such as construction on the low platform sections of the stations to raise them for level boarding. Removing the Comet cars is a “first step” in preparing for the future of FrontRunner service.

Additionally, the new Vineyard Station was constructed with raised platforms. Unless there is a specific service need, when that station opens, we will not run the Comet cars to prevent issues with platform height.

What are you going to replace the Comet cars with? What are UTA’s plans for acquiring vehicles for future ridership growth on FrontRunner?

As part of the planning efforts for future FrontRunner service, UTA is evaluating options for replacement vehicles, but a decision has not been made at this time. We expect the platforms to be raised and replacement vehicles secured by the time they are needed. In the meantime, we are keeping the Comet cars and can put them back in service if necessary to meet rider demand.

Isn’t UTA concerned with capacity issues on FrontRunner if the Comet cars are removed?

UTA has been closely monitoring ridership levels in preparation for removing the Comet cars. Current ridership on FrontRunner can be accommodated with three-car FrontRunner trains, and there is room for ridership growth before replacement vehicles are needed. However, we are retaining the Comet cars and they will be available if needed to increase capacity for things like major events or spikes in ridership.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:39 AM
Lahaina Strong

I wonder how difficult raising the platforms will be? Can they just pour more concrete on top, or do they need to rip out the old slab?

Looks like they may get those GO Transit bilevels sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 8:19 AM

I will miss the comet cars - mostly from my days as a train host, since I didn't really like to ride in them. Their major drawbacks were that they were far from the bike rack., and their windows were basically opaque. Had passengers been able to see out the windows a little easier, they may have been more popular. It is pretty funny though that the comet cars are heavier than the bilevel cars!

Here are some pictures from my train ride today, which I made just as a way to say farewell in case I don't get the chance again:

I wonder how quickly UTA will get to work raising the low-block section of the platforms? They will only need to do that for the original FrontRunner platforms, since the south platforms and North Temple were all built with a high-block section long enough to accomodate 4 cars. In fact, I've already ridden on a FrontRunner train with 4 bilevel cars, back in 2018:

I don't know why UTA ran 4 bilevel cars, but it proves that it can be done. The lower floor of the bilevel cars is 25 inches above the Top of Rail, and the low block platform is 8 inches above the Top of Rail, leaving a 17 inch step between the two, which is 2-3 times larger than what people are used to in public spaces. So obviously not something I expect them to do until the original 7 stations are modified.
(Salt Lake Central, Woods Cross, Farmington, Layton, Clearfield, Roy, and Ogden)

Though they only need to raise a section of platform about 120 feet long (90' for the car, the rest for the ramp), I imagine this will be fairly intense work, since you cannot just pour more concrete on top of the platform. For one thing, that would create two layers of slabs, which could shear like snow layers in an avalanche. Secondly, whether UTA uses it or not, all FrontRunner platforms are equipped with an embedded snowmelt system along the 4' directly adjacent to the tracks. This is supposed to heat the concrete edges just enough to make sure ice does not form and passengers do not slip onto the tracks, or beneath a train. I'm told UTA maintenance people are fed up with the old electrical heating elements and no longer use them, and that Vineyard station will be the first one to use a new fluid-cycling system to heat the platforms - in which case, UTA may decide it is time to upgrade the entire platform to this system at all 7 original stations. Or it may not, since 7 station platform extensions is already a pretty big deal. Ridership is down at the moment, but who knows how long that will last, and it is better to get the new capacity in place sooner than later. This is, of course, supposing UTA is able to negociate for ~10 used bilevel cars from Toronto pretty quickly, since new cars are much more expensive and take much longer to deliver.

Ah, interesting times. To end, let us pause and remember a future that was not to be:

With the departure of the comet cars, I wonder if UTA will ever run 5 car trains in the future? With FrontRunner Forward looking to add more frequency, it seems as though UTA will be handling its capacity not through longer trains, but through more frequent trains, which is much better for the rider experience.
Still, though, there is something about a long train that just looks so much better than a short one, practical realities aside.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 4:48 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I will miss the comet cars - mostly from my days as a train host, since I didn't really like to ride in them. Their major drawbacks were that they were far from the bike rack., and their windows were basically opaque. Had passengers been able to see out the windows a little easier, they may have been more popular. It is pretty funny though that the comet cars are heavier than the bilevel cars!

With the departure of the comet cars, I wonder if UTA will ever run 5 car trains in the future? With FrontRunner Forward looking to add more frequency, it seems as though UTA will be handling its capacity not through longer trains, but through more frequent trains, which is much better for the rider experience.

Still, though, there is something about a long train that just looks so much better than a short one, practical realities aside.
I was a comet car purist. I'm 6'6", so sitting in the bilevel cars and having to make room for someone else's legs right across from me was never a pleasant experience. The comet cars were more private. But yeah, the windows were so hard to see out of, that's one thing that always bothered me.

As far as having 5 train cars, I wonder if that could become a thing if they ever electrify Frontrunner? That way the driver's car could also be another passenger car, similar to TRAX. They wouldn't need the engine.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 11:54 PM
Lahaina Strong

Rode the California Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake yesterday, all I could think about while at Union Station was how embarrassing Salt Lake Central is in comparison. We even have the opportunity to do it better with below grade and trains pulling through instead of backing in like they do in Denver.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 12:05 AM
Space Magi

Been saying that for two years now, ever since I moved to Denver. It really is the prototype for what SLC could do with the Rio Grande Depot and surrounding lands, and like you say the Rio Grande could actually be even better since it's a through-running station.

SLC would be the talk of the transit world after the RGP.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 7:14 AM

I may be somewhat biased, but I totally agree: The Rio Grande Depot has the potential to be so much better than Denver's Union Station, which is saying a lot. Though I haven't been to it in person since the renovations, it was the original inspiration for the Rio Grande Plan. I'd give Denver Union Station a solid 4/5 stars, mostly because the concept plan was so much cooler - including lowering the tracks below grade (not the bus bays) and reinstating through-running, which would have been nice for the future Colorado Front Range Passenger Rail service, whenever that comes online. But oh well, a magnificent stub-end station is better than no station at all. If only there was someone creating a unified master plan for rail expansion in Colorado who could have insisted on a through-running station - but we have that same problem of no master plan here in Utah too...

Denver Union Station Master Plan from 2004 (PDF)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:57 PM

Free fare forever? Utah Gov. Spencer Cox says he's open to the idea for public transportation
https://www.ksl.com/article/50391516...transportation

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Transit Authority's "Free Fare February" promotion boosted ridership by 16% and resulted in the public transportation system's busiest month since the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.

Those numbers were, as Gov. Spencer Cox put it, "very positive." And given current or ongoing issues regarding gas prices and air quality, he said Thursday that he's open to the idea of making it permanent.

"We would like to see free fares in every transit district across the state, and the state would fund that for a period of time — three months, six months, something like that," Cox said, during his monthly briefing with news outlets.
Quote:
Cox sees public transit not only as a tool for people to avoid those costs, he argues it can also help reduce the demand at the pump, and ultimately help reduce its staggering cost. It also has environmental benefits.
Quote:
Cox said there have been discussions about holding a special legislative session, but one has not yet been called. Otherwise, it's an issue that may have to wait for the 2023 session.

"It's an idea worth exploring," he added. "It's one thing to do it for a month ... I think something like this would give us better data, more data and help us understand transit patterns, so we can help."
On top of this from the Governor, there was additional news regarding future transit projects being funded by the Legislature:

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...utah-lawmakers
Quote:
Lawmakers passed a modest income tax cut in the 2022 session that ended in March. The committee also voted to review tax incentives the state hands out to lure companies to Utah, including tax breaks for tech companies, sports teams and venues.

Other study items:

-Reacting to Utah's record low unemployment but also rising costs of living and growth
Affordable housing and short-term rentals, which cut into housing availability
-Highway safety and transit development projects
It does appear that there will likely be a Special Legislative Session that will include Free Fares, probably for the remainder of the year. This will help them to gauge usage over a longer period and also provide information regarding the impact to air quality.

For next years Legislature, they are actively looking at providing funding for transit projects.

This is some good news over the last week regarding transit as it is very likely we will see more State funding coming both in the short and long term.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 11:06 PM
Lahaina Strong

It was subtly mentioned last UTA board meeting that UDOT is now a part of Frontrunner Forward, that probably explains the delay. I'm glad that plan isn't going to have to be redone.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:41 AM

The 650 South Main Street station is getting so close to completion! It looks like all the trim on the structures has been installed, leaving the station looking like its done, at least during daylight hours.

Has anyone more closely tied into the rumor mill heard of an opening date yet? I know it has been delayed due to the usual excuses, but it's got to be getting close, right?

Also the Vineyard Station for FrontRunner. It is pretty cool to have 2 rail stations under construction again, even if they are only infill stations.

Aside from the disappointing name, the 650 South station surprised me in 2 ways - one good and one bad. The good surprise was the trees, since I was pretty sure UTA had moved away from including trees in their platforms, which would be a shame because good landscaping can really improve a place.
The bad surprise was that the new station will not be in the free fare zone! It feels weird and inconsistent to have a station on Main Street not in that zone, even though TRAX on Main Street is even slower service than the S-Line streetcar. I know, it is only 2 blocks away from the Courthouse Station which IS in the free fare zone, and if we really were serious about the name 'Midtown' then we shouldn't be surprised that it isn't included in the downtown free fare zone... but it just doesn't feel right.

https://www.rideuta.com/-/media/File...AP_APR22x.ashx

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:08 AM

Two posts in a row on the same station... I know...
But the signs at this station are very different from the usual TRAX signage, and I'm not sure I'm on board yet.

I like the sign on a post on the south end of the station (which you can barely see in this picture), but the one on the north is really weird looking:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:04 PM

I like the south end one that is on the vertical post. The actual sign design is .... meh. But I appreciate what they are trying to do. The overhang one on the north looks really flimsy like it's going to fall off in a strong breeze.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:17 PM

I have to wonder if that flimsy-looking sign is just a temporary stand-in until the permanent sign arrives.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 4:41 AM
Lahaina Strong

UTA summary of changes with HB322

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:37 PM

Status of the two new rail stations:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50419514...d-almost-ready

TL;DR: 600 South is waiting for electronic equipment, could open in late June or early July. Vineyard is waiting for UDOT to resolve 'traffic issues' related to the road access to the station, and will probably open in August.

Also, I noticed the strange overhead sign on the north end of the 600 South platform has been removed. No word if the recent strong winds had anything to do with it!
The more normal sign on the south side is still there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 10:07 PM

What about the Ogden BDO station? Has that been funded yet? What is the timeline for that station and will they resume service to Pleasant View when it opens?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:53 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:27 AM
Lahaina Strong

KSL - UTA rekindles Salt Lake County rapid transit plan; service to be free at first

Of course they are moving on more BRT when they aren't even planning to bring back the MAX or extend TRAX in any way. At least it'll be free for the first 5 years.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 7:31 AM

Still only 15 minute frequency? Isn't UVX 7-8 minutes?

UTA needs to start taking 10 minute or less frequencies seriously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West