HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Heck people still refer to it as Sunnybrae and its been amalgamated for almost 70 years 🤣
LOL! So true. I was born a Braer and I will die a Braer and almost all my fellow Sunny Braer bretheren feel the same way. And it was amalgamated far before I was even born, ha ha.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 12:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apparently the town of Sackville is developing a second industrial park on the NE corner of the Walker Road/TCH intersection (Exit 500). This is because the town's current industrial park is near capacity.

Amendments to town planning and bylaws are necessary. Here is the supporting documentation:

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-22-0163.pdf
According to Wark Times, the industrial facility planned for Walker Road next to the TCH will be a steel and plastic pipe manufacturing plant operated by Atlantic Industries Ltd. This looks like it will be a relatively large facility.

Local residents are concerned because of environmental implications, especially since the neighbourhood subsists on well water. Complaints have been made.

Here is the link to the article:
https://warktimes.com

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:34 PM

Right in someone's backyard, literally, unless he sold his house.

Meanwhile, in unrelated news, Patterson's restaurant is for sale. According to locals, the owners are retiring.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
According to Wark Times, the industrial facility planned for Walker Road next to the TCH will be a steel and plastic pipe manufacturing plant operated by Atlantic Industries Ltd. This looks like it will be a relatively large facility.

Local residents are concerned because of environmental implications, especially since the neighbourhood subsists on well water. Complaints have been made.

Here is the link to the article:
https://warktimes.com
Here is a render of the production facility. Construction is already underway.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:22 PM

Has there ever been a project good enough for Sackville? I mean, it seems like a pretty economically quiet place but people got quite upset about the proposed abattoir too. I wonder what's bringing these guys to Sackville vs the Moncton parks or Scoudouc. Cost?

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Has there ever been a project good enough for Sackville? I mean, it seems like a pretty economically quiet place but people got quite upset about the proposed abattoir too. I wonder what's bringing these guys to Sackville vs the Moncton parks or Scoudouc. Cost?
Both good questions.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
They have a local office in Sackville & office in Dorchester Cape.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 12:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mount Allison University plants specially engineered elms on campus
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...rees-1.6492506

Only loosely development based, but an interesting read in any event.

I'm old enough to remember how important the American Elm was to the tree canopy of many Maritime communities. The arrival of Dutch Elm Disease was a very sad event. It really changed the character of some towns (especially in the Annapolis Valley).

The planting of genetically engineered disease resistant varieties, and the inoculation of remaining survivors is a very hopeful sign.

Also interesting to note they have done a tree inventory of the MTA campus.

Quote:
Over 700 trees on campus that have been planted at various stages since the campus began, and so we're trying to monitor the trees' health and wellness, select varieties that do well here and stop planting varieties that don't do well here," said Tony Tomlik.

Tomlik has found a few surprises, including magnolia, dogwood, tulip trees, along with Swiss stone pine, all species not common to the area.
Magnolia and Tulip trees are a surprise. You only ever really hear of them in Carolinian forests such as in extreme southwestern Ontario. It is a surprise to hear they are doing well here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, the McCormick Gymnasium at the athletic centre on the MTA campus is going to get a $5.5M upgrade. The work will be completed by September.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
According to the T&T, the McCormick Gymnasium at the athletic centre on the MTA campus is going to get a $5.5M upgrade. The work will be completed by September.
As a coach at MTA, I can 100% confirm this to be accurate. They have already started the work. Ventilation, electrical, lighting, new floor, new bleachers, etc.... Essentially a brand new gym. The existing gym is something like 50+ years old. The floor was extremely hard on athletes' physical health. They are selling off pieces of the old floor if there are any MTA grads out there that would like a piece of MTA history.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 6:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The former Pizza Delight location in Sackville has sold, apparently to another food service company. It is currently uncertain at present however who the buyer is (rumour of Subway, but this building seems a little large for a Subway franchise).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 10:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

(Heart) Breaking News:

It was mentioned on CBC Information Morning today that Mel's Tea Room is going to permanently close.

I didn't hear the entire article, so I don't know if there are any plans for a replacement. Does anyone have any additional info???

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 24, 2022 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Cheesecake Garage will be opening soon in Sackville, in the former town fire hall.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 7:32 PM

Quote:

The Cheesecake Garage will be opening soon in Sackville, in the former town fire hall.
This is great, I've been looking for someplace to store my cheesecake over winter!
I believe their location is behind the fire hall as the Kookie Cutter Bakery is in the front.
Went to many dances in that fire hall.
Good luck to the new cheesecake bakery!!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

T&T reporting a $65M upgrade project for the Ralph Pickard Bell Library on the Mount Allison University campus, partially federally and provincially funded:

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102047918 (paywall)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:32 PM

Complete..sort of....

Quote:
This was finally completed, a bit behind schedule... Teams began practicing on the revamped gym this week. It looks great. Bleachers are to be installed after the school year is complete and teams no longer need to use the gym for practices and games. In the meantime, chairs will be setup for spectators to watch sporting events in the gym. Basketball games this Sunday.

First semester the gym was unavailable for team usage.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the former Pizza Delight on Mallard Drive is back up for sale again.

Rumour is that town bylaws prevented the new owner from doing what he wanted with the building. Given the type of building and the location my bet is that he wanted to put in a drive-thru, which is currently forbidden by town bylaws.

Rumour is of a Dairy Queen (all for naught now).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 4:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good Huddle article regarding the malaise, travails and ongoing morass regarding the former Pizza Delight in Sackville. Well researched. Lots of "no comments" from interested parties.

https://huddle.today/2023/01/27/sack...ping-it-there/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 9:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cattail Ridge Family Market is apparently closing.

T&T photo

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the Sackville Memorial Hospital is planning on building a three-season outdoor courtyard garden as a patient wellness project.

T&T photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces