HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Here's some more info on the corporate consolidation.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2447711
Thank you that’s what I meant to say the Main office of the cooperators

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 5:25 AM
Canadian Urbanite

I believe Nicor owns the building now.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 4:49 PM

Interesting. I know that Regina Catholic Schools had looked at that building as a potential new HQ, but was concerned about it being too large (and thus needing to lease out the remainder, etc).

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:06 AM

I'm just happy to see more people working downtown. Hopefully it'll lead to an increase in public transit use and just general busyness around the area. I know that if I worked there, I'd be walking to that Chuck Wagon burger place for lunch every so often.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:48 PM

Hey I thought I'd ask this quick question here since most seem to be on the up-and-up about bylaws

If I want to place bricks/blocks around the base of my city trees, is there a restriction on the number of levels? I know there is a bylaw for how close they can be to the trunk, but I can't find anything on height. My neighbour told me I can only place a single block layer, regardless of the size of blocks. The bricks we are looking at in this case would be about 4" high, and we'd be using two layers (one in the ground, the other above). So total clearance above-grade of around 6".

I also know that I have to ensure proper drainage and I can't alter the slope/grade of the overall yard. In this case it's a single ash tree in the middle of the yard and the barrier/planter around it would likely be about 3m wide in total (with drainage out). Realistically I know that having a 6" wall (at the front end, it would be flush at the top) isn't likely to draw attention...but I also don't want a visit from a bylaw officer and have to remove them if a neighbour gets too nosy.

And so this is on-topic: this major new construction is likely to grace Regina streets in the next few weeks

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Hey I thought I'd ask this quick question here since most seem to be on the up-and-up about bylaws

If I want to place bricks/blocks around the base of my city trees, is there a restriction on the number of levels? I know there is a bylaw for how close they can be to the trunk, but I can't find anything on height. My neighbour told me I can only place a single block layer, regardless of the size of blocks. The bricks we are looking at in this case would be about 4" high, and we'd be using two layers (one in the ground, the other above). So total clearance above-grade of around 6".

I also know that I have to ensure proper drainage and I can't alter the slope/grade of the overall yard. In this case it's a single ash tree in the middle of the yard and the barrier/planter around it would likely be about 3m wide in total (with drainage out). Realistically I know that having a 6" wall (at the front end, it would be flush at the top) isn't likely to draw attention...but I also don't want a visit from a bylaw officer and have to remove them if a neighbour gets too nosy.

And so this is on-topic: this major new construction is likely to grace Regina streets in the next few weeks
My sister is a by-law enforcement officer. I'll check in with her and get back to you!

Update: OK, so according to my sister, the forestry department handles tree related bylaws like this. She said as long as you aren't messing too much with the tree and making it ugly, you should be OK. Since your neighbour already mentioned it, however, you are going to want to avoid a complaint so best advice would be for you to inquire with the city forestry department.

Last edited by djforsberg; May 25, 2022 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
My sister is a by-law enforcement officer. I'll check in with her and get back to you!

Update: OK, so according to my sister, the forestry department handles tree related bylaws like this. She said as long as you aren't messing too much with the tree and making it ugly, you should be OK. Since your neighbour already mentioned it, however, you are going to want to avoid a complaint so best advice would be for you to inquire with the city forestry department.
Thanks! For clarity's sake, something like this is what we had in mind, except only half the height (since the blocks are only half as large as these):

EDIT - Do you know if a contact form/address for the forestry department? I can't find anything on the city's site except their service request forms. I suppose I could fill that out.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:05 PM

I can't see the city caring at all about a regular tree ring. I see them everywhere.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
EDIT - Do you know if a contact form/address for the forestry department? I can't find anything on the city's site except their service request forms. I suppose I could fill that out.
I would just call 777-7000 and they will likely patch you over to the right area. pappcam is probably right but it would be helpful to arm yourself with confirmation from the city in case your neighbour is wondering.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
I would just call 777-7000 and they will likely patch you over to the right area. pappcam is probably right but it would be helpful to arm yourself with confirmation from the city in case your neighbour is wondering.
Yeah I'd prefer to have some approval beforehand to present in case of a dispute! And to be clear, my neighbour didn't seem to be warning that they would complain, just that it was what they'd heard.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:20 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/05/25/t...osaic-stadium/

Toronto FC and Sunderland AFC set to play friendly match at Mosaic Stadium

By Tanner Wallace-Scribner
May 25, 2022 | 10:47 AM
Mosaic Stadium will be hosting all types of football this year.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/05/25/t...osaic-stadium/

Toronto FC and Sunderland AFC's U23 teams set to play friendly match at Mosaic Stadium

By Tanner Wallace-Scribner
May 25, 2022 | 10:47 AM
Mosaic Stadium will be hosting all types of football this year.
Fixed

Pretty tenuous connection to construction anyway.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 4:31 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...lity-1.6465607

Regina may try to dip into federal transit infrastructure funding to cover cost of new aquatic centre

About $128 million earmarked for city in Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:

Regina may try to dip into federal transit infrastructure funding to cover cost of new aquatic centre

About $128 million earmarked for city in Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program
Yet again, let's siphon off money intended for a core service (transit) for something more glamorous (swimming pool). Yes, the Lawson needs to be replaced, but we need these federal dollars to go into transit bc we know the city won't put their own money into it.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:

How about using some of that money to filling the cycling access gaps in this city. Using the pipeline easement in the north end and over to Fleet Street, then north of Glencairn to Prince of Wales we could have a pathway system that does a full loop of the city.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 12:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Yet again, let's siphon off money intended for a core service (transit) for something more glamorous (swimming pool). Yes, the Lawson needs to be replaced, but we need these federal dollars to go into transit bc we know the city won't put their own money into it.
I guess Sandra Masters will sacrifice anything to keep her campaign promise. A new transit master plan was developed but it is obvious it is not a priority, despite all the talk of going green. What a disappointment she is.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I guess Sandra Masters will sacrifice anything to keep her campaign promise. A new transit master plan was developed but it is obvious it is not a priority, despite all the talk of going green. What a disappointment she is.
Hopefully people will actually contact council and speak up on some of these issues. I emailed and I expect in a day or so that two councillors will reply bc they are the two who usually do. Neither represents my ward.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
How about using some of that money to filling the cycling access gaps in this city. Using the pipeline easement in the north end and over to Fleet Street, then north of Glencairn to Prince of Wales we could have a pathway system that does a full loop of the city.
Speaking my language.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:35 PM

I see no issue with Using these funds ,if the previous administration would of built this 10 years ago we wouldn’t be in this mess the bugger didn’t do nothing for all those years he was in power absolutely useless Mayor you are one the best mayors Regina has had

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 9:40 PM

The city could build a 100m x 100m cube of concrete with the Brandt logo on the side and The_mayor would applaud the move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan