HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 11:15 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Can you imagine what the city of Vineyard would be like if the developers and city went with an industrial look like this for the city? Much of the city of Vineyard was once Geneva Steel and an industrial vibe would have been a call back to its steel days.
I agree, but we are talking about Utah County.

Last edited by Cirrus; May 3, 2022 at 3:23 PM. Reason: No need to insult entire populations of people

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:25 PM

Breeze Airways announced today that it will start flying from the Provo airport with 5 destionations: Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Westchester Country, NY.

Quote:
Just a year after launching inaugural service, Utah-based startup Breeze Airways announced Friday it will begin service in and out of Provo Airport with a handful of nonstop and single-stop flights to select cities on both coasts as well as Las Vegas.

The Breeze news comes on the same day Provo cuts the ribbon on its new four-gate, 75,000-square-foot terminal. The $55 million project has the capacity to expand to 10 gates and is set to elevate service efficiencies and customer experience at Utah’s second busiest airport.

Here are the new Breeze service options from Provo along with introductory fares for new reservations on select routes:

San Francisco, California (daily nonstop, starting Aug. 4, from $39 one way).
San Bernardino, California (daily one-stop/no change of plane, starting Aug. 4, from $49).
Las Vegas, Nevada (daily nonstop, starting Oct. 5, from $29).
New York/Westchester (daily one-stop/no change of plane, starting Oct. 5, from $99).
Los Angeles, California (daily nonstop, starting Nov. 2, from $39).
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/5/...rport-discount

Last edited by Utahn; May 6, 2022 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 12:39 AM

With all the buzz and activity surrounding the new Provo Terminal, it would seem like they're going to need the expansion to ten gates pretty quickly.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 1:50 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
With all the buzz and activity surrounding the new Provo Terminal, it would seem like they're going to need the expansion to ten gates pretty quickly.
I am pretty sure a few pages back there was someone that said they were going to add in the 10 gates sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 3:04 AM

In addition to the new Breeze routes, looks like allegiant is adding PDX, MCO, SAN and LAS as well

Yeah, expansion will need to come soon

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 4:43 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post
airport!! Omg— so stoked for this! I was speaking with someone on the airport board and already, the Provo airport is too small. They are already discussing and making plans to increase it to 10 gates. Will still open with 4 gates and see approx 20-26 flights per day to start, but the expansion is moving along 5 years ahead of schedule.

He also mentioned SLC wanted the Provo airport expansion to happen sooner rather than later for emergency landings/overflow to help out the region. Even SLC realizes the importance of the impact another (albeit regional) airport can have on the area.
found it

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 3:36 AM
Shaun_Springville

I've been watching the progress of the Millrace project in Provo and the first proposed building is making great progress, however, they started on the middle building of the proposed 3 buildings. Does anyone know any new information as to the overall outlook of this project--especially in regard to the 12 story building that's planned? Is there hope that this will actually come to light? This would be a major addition to Provo that would be exciting to see, but I'd be really surprised if this truly came about.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:10 AM

Yes- millrace is still happening. It will just be built at a later time frame due to the covid issue the previous year. So far it’s on track. Just delayed.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I am pretty sure a few pages back there was someone that said they were going to add in the 10 gates sooner rather than later.
Yes— that was me I spoke with the higher up in the know and that’s what they told me personally. 5 years ahead of schedule on the expansion. With the popularity of the new airport, it’s going happen much sooner. Waiting on funding and logistics, but things are getting lined up to get the expansion going in a few years.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:10 PM

From a friend of mine that writes stories in the local paper, who has done a lot of work on the new airport and new airline news story:

“Breeze airways is also trying to work with TSA and other organizations to bring in a customs desk because in the near future and that means about a year to a year and a half they would love to fly to someplace like Cabo San Lucas I don’t think anybody would complain about that including some of our Latino residents the news yesterday was profound and it will change the way we do business.”

So…. Things are definitely progressing behind the scenes to make the Provo airport even more relevant.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 4:15 AM

From the Daily Herald: (notice the sentence about a customs desk and Cabo San Lucas flights:

On Thursday the Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity awarded Breeze Aviation Group, Inc., a temporary, marginal tax reduction for its expansion in Utah.

Breeze announced May 6 that it will make the new Provo Airport its home base airport in the state. It will start by housing four planes at the airport and flying to four different locations.

David Neelemen, founder and CEO of Breeze, is hoping to also bring a customs desk to Provo to allow for international flights, specifically Cabo San Lucas, and perhaps other locations in the future.

The post-performance corporate incentive is part of the Legislature’s Economic Development Tax Increment Financing program.

As part of the agreement, Breeze Airways plans to bring up to 78 new high-paying jobs and invest $8 million in Utah over the next five years.

“This significant expansion from Breeze brings jobs, connects Utahns through new flight routes to new destinations, and provides opportunities for people to visit Utah for work and play,” said Dan Hemmert, the Office of Economic Opportunity’s executive director. “We’re excited to see this Utah company grow, and we’re even more excited to take advantage of its budget-friendly airfare.”

Breeze Airways is a Utah-based airline that began flying in the summer of 2021. The company focuses on offering nonstop flights and low fares on routes not frequently found with other airlines. By flying nonstop routes with little or no competition, Breeze Airways seeks to open up travel to wider audiences.

“It’s been the question on everyone’s lips since we first opened our headquarters — when are you flying from Utah,” Neeleman said. “We’re excited to continue growing and hiring from here, and now flying from Utah too. The beautiful, newly renovated Provo airport will give our guests an easy way to travel to both coasts and provide a wonderful ‘home base’ for Breeze.”

Breeze Airways may receive up to 15% of the additional state taxes it will pay over the five-year life of the agreement in the form of a Utah Legislature-authorized Economic Development Tax Increment Financing tax credit. Each year that Breeze meets the criteria in its contract with the state, it will qualify for a portion of the total credit.

“We’re encouraged by Breeze Airways selecting Utah as a national training center for its pilots and maintenance staff,” said Theresa A. Foxley, president and CEO of the Economic Development Corporation of Utah. “Workforce development is critical to any industry, and we anticipate Breeze will find competitive operating costs and logistical advantages citing this center here.”

Breeze will begin daily flights out of Provo starting Aug. 4 and through October and November. Their initial flights will be to San Francisco, San Bernardino International in California, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Westchester, New York.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:37 AM

New proposed 11-story tower in Lehi

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 10:45 PM
Exit 298

End of the road for the HFAC

Looks like BYU has decided not to save the HFAC. The university put out a media release today with renderings of the "arts" building which will replace it:

Source: https://news.byu.edu/announcements/b...-arts-building

* The fall will be the last in the HFAC

* The new music building will open January 2023

* The arts program will continue at the old Provo HS, temporarily

* The HFAC will be demolished starting in early 2023

* The new "arts" building should open in 2025

Personally, I'm sentimental and sad. I also can understand the university's position. The HFAC is just so massive, I'd imagine trying to make it earthquake safe really is a daunting job, if it's even possible at all.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 4:34 AM

Looks like the bill Harris music store moved and the entire block is empty except the P&S pawn shop on 300 south. I heard they are unwilling to sell. 10 story apartment buildings will be built on this property, which I think will help fill in that part of our downtown and lead into the 13 snd 14 story millrace highrise development and make for a smooth transition.

I’ll keep you posted if something changes, if you all do the same

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:27 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Looks like the bill Harris music store moved and the entire block is empty except the P&S pawn shop on 300 south.
I tried shopping locally 10 years ago. Bought a mic stand from Bill Harris Music. The entire store was a disorganized mess. And the staffer, one of the Harris adult children, spent my entire shopping visit complaining about how his parents didn't care about the business. He told me they were just slumlording the business until the time came to sell.

Guess they finally got their payday.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Looks like the bill Harris music store moved and the entire block is empty except the P&S pawn shop on 300 south. I heard they are unwilling to sell. 10 story apartment buildings will be built on this property, which I think will help fill in that part of our downtown and lead into the 13 snd 14 story millrace highrise development and make for a smooth transition.

I’ll keep you posted if something changes, if you all do the same
Renderings?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 11:41 PM

^^^
Harris multi-family development.

600 units— up to 10 stories to be built at the old Bill Harris music store block on 300 south university avenue. To include Pools & Retail at street level. About 2 blocks north of the 13 and 14-story millrace development.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 14, 2022 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 9:14 AM

I count 8 stories

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 12:22 PM

You're right. That particular rendering, which shows the additional two floors toward the back was missing. I added it in, (last rendering).

Last edited by delts145; Jun 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
You're right. That particular rendering, which shows the additional two floors toward the back was missing. I added it in, (last rendering).
Ohh I see! Honestly, this project and millrace are pretty historic considering they are the first highrise (10 story) residential projects in Utah outside of SLC (95% sure). I think regardless of how they turn out they should be appreciated at the very least for that

Last edited by Jbash; Jun 16, 2022 at 8:32 AM. Reason: clarification

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West