HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't know why they are fretting so much. They could say yes yes yes to everything regarding the Maglev plans, there is no way in hell it's ever going to happen. I do not know what the motivation is for this company but they'd be much better off building out a nice higher speed electrified rail service over the old WB&A Railroad than screwing with Maglev over such a short distance.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 7:39 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:45 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Per wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linimo
The Linimo operating speed is 100 km/hr or 62 mph.
Amtrak's Acela travels up to 135 mph, more than twice the speed of Linimo, as is between DC and Baltimore. Linimo will not be an upgrade, it would be a downgrade.
Shucks, I can get a 1960s era VW Beetle up to 62 mph, getting it to 300 mph will require significant changes. Sorry, Linimo is a poor proof of concept for a 300 mph train.
Correct... the Linimo is urban transport... not intercity. It was built for the 2005 World Expo in Aichi as a peoplemover for the event. I rode on it back then. It's pretty cool, and reminds me of the SkyTrain in Vancouver to be honest... same kind of propulsion system... difference being it's not "rolling stock" but it's hovering stock.

I don't think hkskyline was saying that it was meant to by high-speed... just that it was a way to keep the technology progressing. Urban maglevs have benefits in that they're generally much lower-maintenance. The Linear-induction motors in SkyTrain in Vancouver and AirTrain (in JFK's connector service) have fewer moving parts, use regenerative braking, and are generally more efficient than a standard metro system.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:57 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Don't be misled. This train has never actually RUN CLOSE to 600km/h.
It sits and is tested on a 1.5km test track at Tonji University’s Jiading Campus in Shanghai.

Basic math will tell you that it won't get much higher than 100km/h max on a track that short.

This really is just posturing. If you look at the press release, it uses weasel words and you'll notice that there are no videos of it going at more than a crawl.

However, there are maglevs running over 600km/h. The L0-series did 603km/h back in April 2015 on the 43km Yamanashi test track in Japan... and JR Central is constructing a line between Tokyo and Nagoya now.

I really don't know know how the press can regurgitate this concept as the "world's fastest" maglev train or world's first 600km/h train with a straight face.

My guess is that this announcement was a bit of me-too-ism as it was expected that Tokyo would be giving rides on the Chuo Maglev while the Olympics were on (which admittedly was planned but likely scrapped due to COVID)

The speeds quoted are theoretical design speeds that have NOT been tested in any way, shape, or form.

Nothing but a vacuous propaganda piece.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:41 PM

D.C. wants changes to maglev train proposal, citing downtown disruptions and increased traffic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...-maglev-train/

Quote:

- As planned, the maglev line and its Mount Vernon Square station would be disruptive to the neighborhood and to New York Avenue, city officials said in comments submitted to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), the agency leading a federal environmental study. The District’s comments signal doubts that the multibillion-dollar train line would fit in with redevelopment at Mount Vernon Square, but don’t take a stance on the project. Instead, city officials urged the FRA to provide additional analysis for better assessing effects on the nation’s capital. The FRA, assisted by the Maryland Transit Administration, is nearing completion of a review that could lead to tunneling as early as next year. If approved, the 40-mile magnetic-levitation train system could be in operation by 2030. --- Among the District’s biggest objections is a 1,000-parking space garage proposed for Mount Vernon Square. City planners and transportation officials said a parking garage of that size is in conflict with D.C. policies to reduce single-occupancy vehicle trips, calling it “an antiquated and inefficient way of managing transportation demand to the station.” The five-level underground garage also would create disruption during construction and contribute to roadway congestion, city officials said.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:15 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation