HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It might be a most cause, but I'll do it, if others do. I think it needs more than one voice to be compelling.
I already have - twice - but received no response.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:59 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I already have - twice - but received no response.
What about writing to Andy Fillmore?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
He's the MP now. What would he be able to do?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Probably would be a job for somebody with more eloquence than myself. I emailed a few people in higher positions regarding this project in particular and the weak heritage regulations in general, and have received zero responses from anybody.

I must not be communicating the situation well enough to illicit a response, so I will defer this job to somebody with a greater knowledge and higher skill level than myself, if they feel so inclined.

Otherwise, what will happen will happen, and maybe that's what the majority wants. After all, I am but only one voice and far be it from me to try to be the one person who is trying to dictate his wants to the majority.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:30 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
He's the MP now. What would he be able to do?
He was always a promoter of good development co-existing with built heritage. He came here with a Boston mindset and really is the architect of much of the current development. In Boston or Montreal I would be willing to bet efforts would be made to perserve the BMO building. This building is important for many reasons and being art deco sandstone is one of them.

You will find the BMO building in this link along with other great buildings in the world: This building should be saved!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=art+d...HcLoBlMQsAQIGg

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
In Boston or Montreal I would be willing to bet efforts would be made to perserve the BMO building.
Guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark

Otherwise, what will happen will happen, and maybe that's what the majority wants.
I don't think it's what the majority would want--I don't even think the majority of Haligonians are aware of this, because it's not a big news item, when they walk by it as the dozers dig in, they'll say "What a shame!" or something like that.

I think most people support a reasonable degree of historic conservation, but will never make a fuss one way or the other about it. Maybe people think the have no right to weigh in since it isn't their property, but to a degree, the buildings on our streets--especially major public thoroughfares--affect everyone. The fact that heritage laws, and design guidelines, and public consultations exist at all testifies to that.

But all too often, a property owner merely needs to say "I'm gonna do this," and it's perceived as a fair accompli.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
He was always a promoter of good development co-existing with built heritage. He came here with a Boston mindset and really is the architect of much of the current development. In Boston or Montreal I would be willing to bet efforts would be made to perserve the BMO building. This building is important for many reasons and being art deco sandstone is one of them.
It may or may nor be important (I would be in the group that would say the latter) but he quit being a planner and a local bureaucrat to become a federal politician. Nothing he can do now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 8:10 PM
we built this city

This is what the HT should be doing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I think this is an excellent idea. And having just been elected, and keen to cement his reputation in the riding (over popular Leslie), I bet you he would take this issue and run with it.

Dry: write to Filmore.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
This is what the HT should be doing.
They don't like Andy Filmore. And, honestly, we should not affiliate in any way shape or form with their work, aims, or aspirations.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I think this is an excellent idea. And having just been elected, and keen to cement his reputation in the riding (over popular Leslie), I bet you he would take this issue and run with it.

Dry: write to Filmore.

What do you expect him to do? He has absolutely no jurisdiction or power here.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:56 AM

Bob Bjerke is the current chief planner for HRM and might be a more logical person to contact. (Honestly may as well contact both - Fillmore might not have direct jurisdiction but he's extremely well-connected in the local development community and would have a very good sense of potential options)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:56 AM
Salty Town

You will find the BMO building in this link along with other great buildings in the world: This building should be saved!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=art+d...HcLoBlMQsAQIGg

Maybe the Canadian Art Deco Society could have some input? Anyone want to contact them?

The Mandate of the Canadian Art Deco Society is:
•To encourage the study and understanding of the Art Deco styles in Canada on a local, regional, and national basis in terms of: 1.historical and cultural influences
2.contemporary issues

To support the conservation of the Art Deco environment that we have inherited, such as structures, interiors and furnishings
•To promote public awareness concerning the Art Deco environment through lectures, publications, tours, and newsletters
•To collect and preserve records of Twentieth Century architecture and design

Canadian Art Deco Society:
http://www.canadianartdecosociety.org/about.html

Last edited by Empire; Dec 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What do you expect him to do? He has absolutely no jurisdiction or power here.
As a freshly elected MP, who likely has a relationship with Chedrawe, he has a platform/bully pulpit. If he says something, media will pick it up.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
As a freshly elected MP, who likely has a relationship with Chedrawe, he has a platform/bully pulpit. If he says something, media will pick it up.
My recollection is that they were not friendly.

Fillmore could end up looking like an idiot. I think he has far better things to do right now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 2:03 PM
Steven Courchene

updates?

does any one have any updates on the scotia square mall, park lane mall Halifax shopping center redevelopment and their progress or prospective tenants?

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 12:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The small building under construction on Maitland Street went up in flames. Unfortunate:

Source

Half the fires in the city seem to be in this part of town.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencourchene View Post
does any one have any updates on the scotia square mall, park lane mall Halifax shopping center redevelopment and their progress or prospective tenants?

Check out Crombie's conference call

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:08 PM

Apparently Chedrawe has assembled approx. 4 acres of land on Almon St. (former Acadia bus terminal and Metro Self Storage sites) and is planning a development "bigger" than his Gladstone development. Hopefully he's learning more about healthy development as he goes along (Doyle's not particularly promising). I like the urban nature of the semi-detached and detached houses in the Gladstone development, but feel it really turned the parking garage exit on Clifton into a blank wall and decreased the viability of that street to develop into a healthier part of the neighbourhood. With sidewalks and luxuries like that.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Apparently Chedrawe has assembled approx. 4 acres of land on Almon St. (former Acadia bus terminal and Metro Self Storage sites) and is planning a development "bigger" than his Gladstone development. Hopefully he's learning more about healthy development as he goes along (Doyle's not particularly promising). I like the urban nature of the semi-detached and detached houses in the Gladstone development, but feel it really turned the parking garage exit on Clifton into a blank wall and decreased the viability of that street to develop into a healthier part of the neighbourhood. With sidewalks and luxuries like that.
Having lived at Gladstone and Summit for about a year, I personally didn't notice or care whether or not that section of Clifton had sidewalks. It's a very low-traffic street, even for that area, basically just a small "crescent" off North that doesn't really go anywhere except that one specific small loop.

I'd give Gladstone overall a 6.5/10. The overall site plan looks like something you'd see in Bedford South, but each individual element is pretty good. The best part of the whole development IMO was the last multi-unit building that went up at Gladstone and Almon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth