HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 5:31 PM

Grew up and still live in the area around the Grace site. It's no worse then other parts of the city.

Was thinking the Waterford site might be suitable, but looking at it from Google maps, it may have the same space issues.

I just hope the Grace site gets used for something after the Nurse's Res is gone. During Danny's time, there was talk of building a 'Court District' there and centralizing the various courts of law.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Grew up and still live in the area around the Grace site. It's no worse then other parts of the city.

Was thinking the Waterford site might be suitable, but looking at it from Google maps, it may have the same space issues.

I just hope the Grace site gets used for something after the Nurse's Res is gone. During Danny's time, there was talk of building a 'Court District' there and centralizing the various courts of law.
I used to live in the area and always thought it would be a great spot for a mixed-use development, similar to Churchill Square. Bradbury Place could easily be extended to accommodate more single family homes or townhouses.

With regards to a new hospital, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they just announced another add-on to the HSC.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
The new hospital should go more west than east. Putting all the medical centers in the central/east end of St. John's completely ignores the population growth and layout of the metro area. This isn't 1980.

Paradise area comes to mind. Up in the new industrial area overlooking Octagon Pond. Quick access to the TCH for both accident casualties, and out of town out-patients.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Paradise area comes to mind. Up in the new industrial area overlooking Octagon Pond. Quick access to the TCH for both accident casualties, and out of town out-patients.
It just needs to be further west than central St. John's at least...Even somewhere like the newer industrial development that is happening on Kenmount Rd. Because you are at least covering the west end St. John's, Mt Pearl, Paradise, CBS and all potential future growth of the Northeast Avalon while still being relatively close to the Health Sciences.

But like putting this back in the same area as the Grace Hospital site or the east end is just not in tune at all with the growth and population distribution of the metro area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I used to live in the area and always thought it would be a great spot for a mixed-use development, similar to Churchill Square. Bradbury Place could easily be extended to accommodate more single family homes or townhouses.

With regards to a new hospital, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they just announced another add-on to the HSC.
A Churchill Square type development would be nice to see with some townhouses that fit the aesthetic of the area.

I'm surprised that the whole court district thing hasn't popped back, 15/20 years ago they where claiming the existing buildings were no longer fit for purpose.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:57 PM

New hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post
Why not build up? Or take the Curtis Elementary property elow it? Might have to purchase tge Bradbury Place homes
Kenmount Hills (off George Pond Road) would be a better spot for it. Surrounded by Blackmarsh and Kenmount Road, easy access to Team Gushue Highway that connects you to the Outer Ring and Pitts Memorial Drive (once completed) and it's close to the other hospital (Health Science Center). No developments in the area and I seen somewhere some of the area was already up for sale.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLResident View Post
Kenmount Hills (off George Pond Road) would be a better spot for it. Surrounded by Blackmarsh and Kenmount Road, easy access to Team Gushue Highway that connects you to the Outer Ring and Pitts Memorial Drive (once completed) and it's close to the other hospital (Health Science Center). No developments in the area and I seen somewhere some of the area was already up for sale.
Good point about highway access. Neither of the current Hospitals have straightforward access to a highway. The HSC is particularly terrible with both it's entrances off the same road, and I think it was highlighted in a report a few years back, with a recommendation to put a another entrance on off Mount Sico.

I'm wondering if somewhere directly off the ORR or PMD in the Donovans/Galway area would work. It would be closer for people in Mount Pearl, Paradise, and CBS.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Good point about highway access. Neither of the current Hospitals have straightforward access to a highway. The HSC is particularly terrible with both it's entrances off the same road, and I think it was highlighted in a report a few years back, with a recommendation to put a another entrance on off Mount Sico.

I'm wondering if somewhere directly off the ORR or PMD in the Donovans/Galway area would work. It would be closer for people in Mount Pearl, Paradise, and CBS.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jjavman; Feb 20, 2024 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 11:25 AM

We’re talking about this hospital like it’s actually going to be built, like the new penitentiary.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
We’re talking about this hospital like it’s actually going to be built, like the new penitentiary.

Higher chance considering its in st johns area. How long has Corner brook waited for a new one. So maybe in 17 years?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:25 PM

Quote:
My prediction. It will eventually get built only because they have no choice, much like the new Pen. It will go like this:
- Select a site probably in the lead up to an election
- Do nothing
- When people start complaining about the state of St. Claires and the lack of movement on the new hospital, do minimal prep work on the site so it looks like your doing something
- Do an RFP
- Do nothing
- Use it as platform point in elections, but actually do nothing.
- Eventually, start construction when St. Claires is literally falling down and is no longer safe to use.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
My prediction. It will eventually get built only because they have no choice, much like the new Pen. It will go like this:
- Select a site probably in the lead up to an election
- Do nothing
- When people start complaining about the state of St. Claires and the lack of movement on the new hospital, do minimal prep work on the site so it looks like your doing something
- Do an RFP
- Do nothing
- Use it as platform point in elections, but actually do nothing.
- Eventually, start construction when St. Claires is literally falling down and is no longer safe to use.
Worst scenario, Grace NR demolished, site sits abandoned,
Current St. Clares demolished, site sits abandoned

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 7:25 PM

This story was posted recently on VOCM. Government to build a Sport-Recreation-Rehabilitation complex in St. John’s. See news link below.

https://vocm.com/2024/03/19/sport-re...t-in-st-johns/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Ellsworth: Capital City Development “On Fire”

St. John’s is already $20 million ahead of last year’s total for building permits issued, according to numbers released by the city yesterday.

And council’s lead on housing says it debunks the theory that the city is anti-development.

Ron Ellsworth says he was taken aback by the numbers, which show almost $60 million in permits issued so far this year, compared with about $40 million for all of 2023.

“For a city that’s been characterized by some as being anti-development, I’m shocked at the numbers we’re seeing in the permits that are coming through,” he said, adding development in the city is “on fire.” “We’re looking at roughly 800 additional residential units coming forward, and we’ve already approved $20 million more than we did all of last year and we’re only in the first quarter.”

The city has also already approved 17 permits for one and two-family homes compared to just 14 for all of 2023.

However, they’re not approving every housing application, despite the desperate need.

A bid to turn the first floor of the former Stoggers Pizza building on Harvey Road into a residential unit was rejected by council, as recommended by city staff.

It was noted that that area, which is across from Tim Horton’s, still has promise as a commercial strip, and throwing a potential Airbnb into the mix could impede that progress.
https://vocm.com/2024/04/03/ellswort...pment-on-fire/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Are they any examples of all this supposed development?...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Are they any examples of all this supposed development?...
You can see a summary of all building permits issued on the City website. Although it isn't very detailed, it can give you an idea of where the permits are going...

https://www.stjohns.ca/en/building-d...ts-Issued-2024

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
You can see a summary of all building permits issued on the City website. Although it isn't very detailed, it can give you an idea of where the permits are going...

https://www.stjohns.ca/en/building-d...ts-Issued-2024
Honestly quickly glancing through all the permit values for this year so far they mostly seem for renovations, not new construction.

The main new construction permit seems to be for those apartments on Janeway Place. Which is where that "we are ahead by $20M already this year" comment from Ellsworth is coming.

Those apartments consist of 32 units.

I'm not sure this is the pro-development statement Ellsworth thinks it is.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's