HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:11 PM

PHILADELPHIA | 1300 Fairmount | 185 FT | 14 FLOORS

Title: 1300 Fairmount
Project: Residential/commercial/retail
Architect: Cope Linder
Developer: RAL Development
Neighborhood: Spring Arts
District: North Philadelphia
Floors: 14 floors
Height: 185 feet

PDF here:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...DR_ForWEB2.pdf

- $15 million to Broad Street Holdings LP to build a supermarket, two parking levels, "two residential towers, and 27 residential rowhomes" at 1300 Fairmount Ave., which the state calls a "pivotal knuckle" of North Broad St., and New York developer RAL Companies says is "at the tipping point" for the 860,000 sf development.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...uRSEXYLM1PY.99

http://www.ralcompanies.com/project-list.php

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 28, 2019 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:17 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

From the site:
Quote:
RAL has been hired by the lender on this foreclosed 3.75 acre site to analyze the site’s development potential. Located at the edge of Philadelphia’s Loft District and Spring Gardens neighborhoods, the area is at the tipping point of renewal.

RAL has identified the opportunity for an 860,000 square foot mixed use development along with potential for substantial financial incentives. RAL is working with the bank’s senior management and Philadelphia’s administration to envision a project that will act as a catalyst to drive the revitalization of the neighborhood.
...and this is the sum total of the known information on the project.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:20 PM

I like how the setback respects views of the Divine Lorraine on all noteworthy sides. This would be a crazy awesome development for that neighborhood and North Broad in general.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:59 PM

If this ever gets built this truly would be the game changer for that area. Could spur along the divine Lorraine/Met into getting fixed too. Wow just imagining those 3 things done could change the dynamic of that part of the city. Blumenfeld seems to really just be full of hot air though so Idk.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:34 PM
BANNED

would be nice to see this happen, but this seems like a longshot. Maybe if the DL happens it will make this more likely.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:36 PM

They're doing work on the Divine Lorraine now guys. Have you been by?

Looks like Blumenfeld is also starting work on the "Mural Lofts" at Broad and Spring Garden.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:16 PM

I noticed in the last week or two that someone finally started tearing down the decrepit brick buildings at the triangle where Mt Vernon, Ridge, and 13th meet. I don't see anything there in the renderings, but I do wonder if that's related.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:24 AM
Closed account

I like the mini mansion row homes

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 12:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
They're doing work on the Divine Lorraine now guys. Have you been by?

Looks like Blumenfeld is also starting work on the "Mural Lofts" at Broad and Spring Garden.
I can see it from the train, but I havent been past the the front in weeks. I'm glad something is happeneing. I know they tweeted some pic of preliminary work last week but I thought in his last public comments EB said they hoped to start work in June. The area east of broad and Fairmount needs a lot of work so the more that can be filled in the better. Lots has been built in that vicinity but there are still a lot of empty lots and vacant buildings. Im definitely skeptical of mega plans by out of town developers with no local track record- few such projects seem to come to fruition.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:16 PM

1. this looks like a typical pie in the sky proposal put together by a lender and developer friend to flip the land. 2. is gov wolf really cutting checks for development projects? I know rendell used to.. corbett ended it, where does wolf stand?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
1. this looks like a typical pie in the sky proposal put together by a lender and developer friend to flip the land. 2. is gov wolf really cutting checks for development projects? I know rendell used to.. corbett ended it, where does wolf stand?
I don't think Corbett ended it, he just reduced it. One of the articles said that of $1B requested in 2014, $200M got funded.

Doesn't seem to be a good use of taxpayer funds to create more multifamily / retail projects when these are getting done without anyway. I believe the program was originally intended for projects w/ significant job creation (e.g., Augusta helicopter plant).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn00 View Post
I don't think Corbett ended it, he just reduced it. One of the articles said that of $1B requested in 2014, $200M got funded.

Doesn't seem to be a good use of taxpayer funds to create more multifamily / retail projects when these are getting done without anyway. I believe the program was originally intended for projects w/ significant job creation (e.g., Augusta helicopter plant).
I agree typically, that these tax dollars shouldn't be handed out to developers of multifamily projects in areas that are already booming. HOWEVER, this area is definitely struggling. This development, with a nice added fund of taxpayer dollars, could kick-start redevelopment of the entire area.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn00 View Post

I dont think they really explain the criteria in detail but I think they evaluate the amount of locked in private financing, job creation, the market limitations and the overall need to kick start an area when they choose the winners. I think we can all safely assume the gallery will get its money. Not so sure about this one.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:29 PM

Article from Hidden City on the project. Not really any new info:
http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/04/m...rmount-avenue/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:54 PM

Another article on this on Plan Philly

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 5:57 PM

If this is a real project, i'll eat my hat

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:08 PM
BANNED

well one issue is that they are clearly saying without a substantial subsidy the project wont happen.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
Renderings and information from the article

This week, the lights should come on, when developers with RAL Companies of New York present their proposals to the Planning Commission, and two City Council committees consider bills that would grant the project various exemptions related to loading and curb cuts.

Those discussions have led, so far, to plans for two apartment towers and a supermarket on Ridge Avenue. Preliminary site plans—the Levines stressed that the proposal is in flux—also show a small group of townhomes at the corner of 13th and Wallace streets, to be built in a future phase of construction.

At this point, the plans include approximately 480 apartments with 580 parking spaces, shared between the residents and the supermarket customers. The project would reach a maximum height of 221 feet on the western tower, and contain 83,000 square feet of retail space. The apartments would be placed above the parking structure on the fifth floor, and the developers plan to claim a floor-area bonus for open space on the site. The complex will have 168 bicycle parking spaces.

Last week, the state granted Eric Blumenfeld a $3.5 million grant from the Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP). For the 1300 Fairmount project, RAL is shooting a bit higher: they’ve applied for a RACP grant worth $15 million. Robert Levine said they’d also consider seeking federal New Market Tax Credits.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...ine-s-backyard

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:29 PM
BANNED

I thought the state just realeased its list of projects that were getting grants. Not sure when this project team would find out if they are getting anything- I thought the grants were distributed once a year.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:00 PM

Supermarket, apartments to go up next to the Divine Lorraine
From the Philadelphia Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...fairmount.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive